Possible Issue with Mercedes Manhattan - Frontal Damage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 10:01 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Possible Issue with Mercedes Manhattan - Frontal Damage

Picked up my car yesterday. After paying the bill at the cashier, as usual, there's about 5 - 10 minutes between that moment - and the time the car would be brought up to be on my way.

10 minutes go by. Nothing - I wait, I'm really not "that guy" that cares about that sort of stuff.

20 minutes go by. Nothing - I went to the ladies that are always on the walkie talkies coordinating - and gave them my bill again showing paid, with the hat #. "Hmm I'll double check, but it was on the way up"

30 minutes go by. Nothing - I went back to the ladies and asked again, they seemed a bit frazzled - and I concluded that they were busy and I let them be.

45 minutes go by. Nothing - I went to my service adviser, now I was concerned - and he came over the the wait desk and asked what was going on - the guy behind the counter was EXTREMELY hesitant to say anything in front from me - and actually whispered/mumbled something to my service adviser. I asked what the story was - and he said "The cashier forgot to dispatch your car after you paid". I said "but I'm waiting here 45 minutes and you guys have called down for my car and that I watched as they did it - with my bill in hand.

1 hour goes by. Still nothing - and I go over and ask i something is wrong. They said no of course not - they are sorry for the delay - there was confusion and it would be up in 5 minutes.

10 minutes later - it came up and there was a line of cars behind mine - and I had my hands full of stuff I had taken out of the loaner. I opened my trunk - put everything in - got in the car - and left.

I drove from there straight home. I got out of my car and went to throw something in the trash bin and then I saw this.....

Now I am ****ing pissed! That's what the hour delay was. They lied to me - and someone drove it up and hit the car - and did not want to man up.
There is even white powder on the area in question - which is so CLEARLY sheetrock that had come off their walls. Anyone that has EVER been to MB Manhattan service waiting area where the cars are parked - will know the color is all white.

I called my Service adviser and the service manager and told them what happened and that I'd be prepared to go through the camera footage and testify before a judge that the car went in without a scratch. I'm beyond meticulous with my car, as are all of you.

They said they would review the footage. They did - and sent this....

Dear Mr. Reisman,

Please see the attached photos of the video of the vehicle leaving yesterday. I do not see the damage on the left front of the car and invite you down to see the video with your own eyes.

As a valued Mercedes-Benz Manhattan customer for many years I would like to help you with the repair. Let me know when works for you to come in.

Thank you.

-Matt

Matthew Gesek

Assistant Service Manager

Mercedes-Benz Manhattan, Inc.

770 11th Avenue

New York, NY 10019

Tel: (212) 629.1422

Fax: (212) 629.1452

Email: matthew.gesek@mbusa.com

As you can see - its almost IMPOSSIBLE to make anything out - and at first glance - you are all probably thinking "yup - the car left clean and clear. What do they mean "We will help you fix it"

I responded:

Hi Matt,

Thank you for getting back to me. In my 14 years, I have never claimed MB ever did anything to my car, and have always had a great relationship with you guys. I've sent probably 20 different clients your way for sales and service (and both).

I took a look at the images and while I agree that it is difficult to make out a clear image of the car as it leaves - I want you to have a look at the pics in this email I am returning to you and tell me what you think?

I have outlined in RED and typed next to it what I am looking at. Keep in mind - on YOUR security footage - you may at first believe theres no damage and the car is free and void of any imperfections, but if you look under the aspect of not seeing damage, you cant even see the parktronic circle so it is not a very accurate accounting of what is there - and what is not. However you CAN see the black mark on the fender and the sculpted air damn.

Let's discuss this after you look at these images.

Thank you again.
Bradley

Awaiting their reply....
Old 08-14-2014, 10:38 PM

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts
s550
Sorry, but to be honest, i don't see any damage in their pic. the red circle you point out on the fender is closer to the edge, whereas in the first pic of clear view, the damage seems to be 1-2 inches away from the edge. the remaining red circles you make, i honestly don't see nothing.
Maybe you should request more videos from different locations in the facility.

I hope you get this resolved.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:41 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by just1time
Sorry, but to be honest, i don't see any damage in their pic. the red circle you point out on the fender is closer to the edge, whereas in the first pic of clear view, the damage seems to be 1-2 inches away from the edge. the remaining red circles you make, i honestly don't see nothing.
Maybe you should request more videos from different locations in the facility.

I hope you get this resolved.
Difficult to see.

You also don't see the parktronic sensor there but it's there.

On my computer I see the damage slightly.

Not sure how to prove something like this. I should have looked before I left. I can only say im 100% sure there was no damage to the car before I turned it in - and went directly home after.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:49 PM

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts
s550
hey

Originally Posted by Chucky300
Difficult to see.

You also don't see the parktronic sensor there but it's there.

On my computer I see the damage slightly.

Not sure how to prove something like this. I should have looked before I left. I can only say im 100% sure there was no damage to the car before I turned it in - and went directly home after.
The thing is that at this point, they probably won't want to admit guilt even if they are certain they did it. It hurts their intergrity as a business.
These pictures are not clear enough to ascertain their guilt. Ask for more video shots from every camera that might have captured your car while it was at their facility. Thats your best option if you are in fact certain the damage was done at their place. Otherwise, its word against word...and you won't win on that.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:55 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by just1time
The thing is that at this point, they probably won't want to admit guilt even if they are certain they did it. It hurts their intergrity as a business.
These pictures are not clear enough to ascertain their guilt. Ask for more video shots from every camera that might have captured your car while it was at their facility. Thats your best option if you are in fact certain the damage was done at their place. Otherwise, its word against word...and you won't win on that.
Agreed. Will inquire in the morning on other images.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:05 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
UNIMOG
Yeah sorry to hear about what happened. Probably best to file a claim or just get get the bumper repainted. Shouldn't cost more than $300-400. You called them out and they came back at you with what seems like no damage as you left. Either way I'm sure you've spent more time at the dealership than you would have liked because of this car. I know I have.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
EQS450+
I feel for you. A dealership here in LA (Simonson) scratched my bumper, but they took car of the repair. They have a tight garage (before they moved service to another location) and they damaged the car.

MB Manhattan should repair this in good faith. Ask them to do this - if they respect their clients and business they will. Also, you can complain the MBUSA - they certainly don't like unhappy customers.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 430 Posts
W212 FL
Although these images are not clear to acknowledge that there is a damage and you were kept waited because of that ,I still believe waiting has to do with the damage .Why would you wait so long if everything went smoothly ,it makes no sense at all to me
They should fix this under any circumstances .
I recently had an issue with my license plate holder , the service changed it w/o my giving go ahead or asking my OK and put their flimsy plastic holder .
I later called them and talked about that .
No matter how hurry you are in please don't forget to check the car at least from front to rear ,this could make the things easier to resolve any damage in such conditions and before delivery to the service have them verify you are giving a perfect car w/o any scratch ,may be you need to sign up some paper work as well
Hopefully, things will be OK in your end
Old 08-15-2014, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S 550
Wow, amazing they won't man up and accept responsibility.

I would want to take a camera and go through their shop looking for wall or object they hit. Should be able to find the paint transfer there that would match the bumper height and bumper pattern.

Good luck getting this resolved.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:42 AM

2015 S63 AMG
Chucky, I reviewed the pictures you posted. I saved the image to my desktop and zoomed in. The marks have definitely been altered on the image. They must have gone into a photo editing program and touched it up. You can even tell because the color in the area of damage is different than the rest of the vehicle. It's like they brushed over it on the photo.

I would be absolutely livid if this happened to me and I would most definitely consider filing a complaint with the GM of that location as well as MBUSA.

Last edited by Tomcat2048; 08-15-2014 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Spelling errors.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:05 AM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by Tomcat2048
Chucky, I reviewed the pictures you posted. I saved the image to my desktop and zoomed in. The marks have definitely been altered on the image. They must have gone into a photo editing program and touched it up. You can even tell because the color in the area of damage is different than the rest of the vehicle. It's like they brushed over it on the photo.

I would be absolutely livid if this happened to me and I would most definitely consider filing a complaint with the GM of that location as well as MBUSA.
I personally have no experience with photo editing programs because I do everything by hand.

I have no evidence to support that concern, I didn't bring it up here, or in the email to MB Manhattan.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:09 AM

2015 S63 AMG
I personally have no experience with photo editing programs because I do everything by hand.

I have no evidence to support that concern, I didn't bring it up here, or in the email to MB Manhattan.

That's understandable. I would personally take them up on their offer and ask to see the videos first hand and freeze the video at these same points to see if the images are different. If they are, then you can confirm that the pictures are edited.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
woah, if they edited the video footage, thats a new level of scumbag.

That said, if anything unusual like that happened (hour delay to bring my car around), I would inspect with a fine tooth comb before leaving. I don't care how confused the service people are, getting a car up does not take an hour.

i've been there a few times for parts and have never been impressed. I had to show their parts guy how to use EPC for christs sake.

MB manhattan is owned by Mercedes (only dealership I believe), so if you get no satisfaction, take it further up the chain to corporate.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:31 AM
Banned

2014 S550
That's understandable. I would personally take them up on their offer and ask to see the videos first hand and freeze the video at these same points to see if the images are different. If they are, then you can confirm that the pictures are edited.
If the video footage is anything like the picture - or like video footage in most security cameras - this kind of damage is not going to be picked up.

If you can't see the parktronic circle - you def can't see scuffs and paint chip offs.

I don't know what the value of looking at the security tapes with them as they freeze them on certain areas.

This has never happened before to me at any dealer I have ever been to.

All I can tell you now is that I drove the car into the dealership in mint condition, and I drove the car directly home after I picked my car up. I hit nothing along the way.

I only happened to look because I have a habit of not parking the car far back enough, leaving the bumper in the city sidewalk zone. That's what brought my attention to the front of the car. That's how I learned of the damage. I'm never leaving another dealership again without doing a once over around the car. Not singling out this dealership - but I mean EVERY ONE.

Period.

Last edited by Chucky300; 08-15-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Seriously. As MB (and other brands) force you towards the dealers with things like SDS that require updating with MB servers, you are left with little choice but to take your car to dealership, especially under warranty.

Fancy building, snooty attitudes, sir this, sir that, same old bull****.

Can't trust anyone.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 AMG SL55,2015 S550 4MATIC, 2023 BMW X5

Hey Chucky:

I agree with Tomcat - I pulled the screen capture images from the dealer into my adobe & have been looking at it a few different ways - looks like the area of damage of your fender/bumper may have been retouched. The color is too consistent, and in the inverted & the filtered images below - the coloring looks like it was applied digitally. The compound curves on this part of the car are such that light flows over them - not straight across. Plus, I don't see your parking sensor - or even a shadow of it on the image.

I'd ask to see the original tapes. Good luck !

Old 08-15-2014, 09:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
EQS450+
I agree with Tomcat. It looks like a smudging tool in photoshop went over those pictures. Get actual video footage - this is harder to edit. And call MBUSA today and open a case with them - might as well start this case with them.

Again, ask MB Manhattan to fix this in good faith. If they don't, then tell them you're going to drag them through the mud with MB Corporate, wanting actual footage, court/attorneys, etc.

PLUS - tell them you posted here. Make sure they understand they're actively getting bad press on a major MB user website/forum with a bunch of vocal owners. Hopefully that also lights a fire under them.

What losers.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:35 AM

2013 Porsche Cayenne
Call MBUSA and file a complaint
Old 08-15-2014, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Saffron
I agree with Tomcat. It looks like a smudging tool in photoshop went over those pictures. Get actual video footage - this is harder to edit. And call MBUSA today and open a case with them - might as well start this case with them.

Again, ask MB Manhattan to fix this in good faith. If they don't, then tell them you're going to drag them through the mud with MB Corporate, wanting actual footage, court/attorneys, etc.

PLUS - tell them you posted here. Make sure they understand they're actively getting bad press on a major MB user website/forum with a bunch of vocal owners. Hopefully that also lights a fire under them.

What losers.
Good call on filing the complaint with MBUSA today.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:15 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
simply astounding!!!!!!!

I seriously hope you get this resolved Chucky; I'd be out of my mind, especially if they really did Pshop the evidence.......I'd sue for a whole other car(in addition to fixing yours) just to make a point and try and teach those 'tards a lesson

good luck; looking forward to hearing the outcome
Old 08-15-2014, 10:51 AM

2015 S63 AMG
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jrpisha
Hey Chucky:

I agree with Tomcat - I pulled the screen capture images from the dealer into my adobe & have been looking at it a few different ways - looks like the area of damage of your fender/bumper may have been retouched. The color is too consistent, and in the inverted & the filtered images below - the coloring looks like it was applied digitally. The compound curves on this part of the car are such that light flows over them - not straight across. Plus, I don't see your parking sensor - or even a shadow of it on the image.

I'd ask to see the original tapes. Good luck !

Thank you for posting this. I was actually trying to dig up an old copy of Photoshop for this but you saved me the trouble
Old 08-15-2014, 11:10 AM
Banned

2014 S550
MB Manhattan is going to repair the bumper at no cost to me. Taking it in on Monday morning.
I am not going to pursue this further. I am satisfied with this outcome. I'll know for the future to check any vehicle I bring in to any dealership. Lesson learned on my part. I am glad it is being resolved. After 14 years of no problems with MB Manhattan - I don't want to start a new chapter now.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:16 AM

Thank you for posting this. I was actually trying to dig up an old copy of Photoshop for this but you saved me the trouble
My pleasure.

with a small dedicated group, there is nothing that cannot be accomplished...
Old 08-15-2014, 11:20 AM

MB Manhattan is going to repair the bumper at no cost to me. Taking it in on Monday morning.
I am not going to pursue this further. I am satisfied with this outcome. I'll know for the future to check any vehicle I bring in to any dealership. Lesson learned on my part. I am glad it is being resolved. After 14 years of no problems with MB Manhattan - I don't want to start a new chapter now.
Great to hear, Chucky - sounds like the dealership is eager to close the chapter on this before the online finger pointing & **** flinging (can I say **** in this forum??) really ramps up.

Again, so sorry to learn that this had happened in the first place...
Old 08-15-2014, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
I was hoping that they took care of it. I'm really glad they did.

M

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Possible Issue with Mercedes Manhattan - Frontal Damage