RUN FLAT TIRES--MB ADVISORS SURVEY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,401 Likes on 1,940 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
RUN FLAT TIRES--MB ADVISORS SURVEY

I am a member of the factory sponsored "Mercedes-Benz Advisors" online group and they have a current survey in progress, regarding customer opinions on run flat tires. The results are pretty much what we would have thought them to be: Probably a solid 95% to 98% of those responding dislike or absolutely HATE run flats. The far and away preference is for conventional, high performance tires with a FULL SIZE SPARE in the trunk. Some drivers, women in particular, like the idea of run flats, but when you talk about being out of town, away from the big city and encountering a severe road hazard that DESTROYS the tire, we all know how COMFORTING it is to know that there is a FULL SIZE spare in the trunk. Run flat tires have a harsh ride, in most cases they cannot be repaired, they wear out quickly, they do not handle as well as conventional tires, are horribly expensive to replace, can be very difficult to find and the "idea" of run flats leaves us with no spare in the trunk. RUN FLAT TIRES ARE THE KISS OF DEATH and the more vocal we are with MB, the sooner they will get the message. If Lexus can put a full size spare in an LS460, MB can put one in a new S550. Hey, Mercedes-Benz big wigs, are you LISTENING? Hello? Anybody? Is this thing on?
The following users liked this post:
gfmohn (11-19-2018)
Old 10-10-2014, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
76 220D
MB is slacking off in the trunk

Not only are the runflats a generally bad idea, they also do not include a jack or lug wrench to allow you to remove a wheel to repair or replace. This is also true for the AMG performance tires.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,401 Likes on 1,940 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Originally Posted by nielsll
Not only are the runflats a generally bad idea, they also do not include a jack or lug wrench to allow you to remove a wheel to repair or replace. This is also true for the AMG performance tires.
Right you are, my friend. How would you like to have been driving this BMW, after dark, up in some ski resort town or some other non-big city area? I know, just press the MBRACE BUTTON, right? "Yeah, uh Mercedes-Benz Roadside Assistance? What? You can't be here until when? TOMORROW AFTERNOON?"
Attached Thumbnails RUN FLAT TIRES--MB ADVISORS SURVEY-tire1.jpg  
Old 10-10-2014, 08:48 PM

Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts
S600
My, personal, preference is for non-run-flats on 4 corners without a spare tire in the trunk.

I have not had a flat in 30 years, including running the tires on my Ferrari down to the cords several times (intentionally) on race tracks, having to drive the car home.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:19 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Need high-perf, factory-spec summ/winter perf (not run-flat, not all-season) tires w/strong, well-engineered forged wheels for best stopping distances (and superior active safety) and resistance vs poor pavement esp of US urban regions (as well as Podunk fwys of Eastern US)

That said, anecdotally, flat tires are incredibly rare on new AMGs w/reasonably careful driver vs worst roads of LA or SF

And if have flat, would not want to self-change tire on roadside and risk injury/death from inept drivers....cars are disposable and cheap vs own safety, so whether have tire gunk or compact spare or full-size spare means little to me if face flat tire

And full-size replacement wheel/tire on-board for often asymmetric perf tires/wheels makes little engineering/risk sense.....risk of at-speed/in-traffic failure of MCT/DCT is arguably far greater/more likely than risk of flat tire

Also, anecdotally, biggest AMG dealers in SF or LA often do not have tires in stock for replacement (learned over yrs when scheduling routine tire replacement several days in advance)

Driving in Podunk has far greater array of hidden risks beyond mere illusions of safety of a full-size spare tire.....
Old 10-11-2014, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 S600 sold
Great analysis WSH. I never thought about the asymmetrical tires on the S600, S63, and the S65. Great observation!

Originally Posted by WSH
Need high-perf, factory-spec summ/winter perf (not run-flat, not all-season) tires w/strong, well-engineered forged wheels for best stopping distances (and superior active safety) and resistance vs poor pavement esp of US urban regions (as well as Podunk fwys of Eastern US)

That said, anecdotally, flat tires are incredibly rare on new AMGs w/reasonably careful driver vs worst roads of LA or SF

And if have flat, would not want to self-change tire on roadside and risk injury/death from inept drivers....cars are disposable and cheap vs own safety, so whether have tire gunk or compact spare or full-size spare means little to me if face flat tire

And full-size replacement wheel/tire on-board for often asymmetric perf tires/wheels makes little engineering/risk sense.....risk of at-speed/in-traffic failure of MCT/DCT is arguably far greater/more likely than risk of flat tire

Also, anecdotally, biggest AMG dealers in SF or LA often do not have tires in stock for replacement (learned over yrs when scheduling routine tire replacement several days in advance)

Driving in Podunk has far greater array of hidden risks beyond mere illusions of safety of a full-size spare tire.....
Old 10-13-2014, 09:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes S550
How we can get our dealers to pay for the swap? Mine is not budging.