S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

S550 vs. GL550 as a Mommy Car

Old 12-01-2014, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by BenzV12
Guys, you miss a point she says her GL's interior never attracts to her in a few words . G Wagon sounds a cool choice but I doubt the op would like it considering GL and G's interiors are almost same and on down side G's display is like a knock off one as some of modern MB cars
Turning circle is also very poor given that it's size more than 13 meters as I recall and that's a Cadillac Fleetwood territory
Remember, in 2013 the G wagon interior was severely updated inside.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:29 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Originally Posted by Jason B
Remember, in 2013 the G wagon interior was severely updated inside.
For her needs, G is the worst choice. Doesn't drive like a car nor as practical as the full size SUV, it's a jack of all trades master of none except for style points.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Can't help you with the GL-S comparison, but FWIW, we got an S550 a month ago after I got sold on the safety and high-tech features. But it's my wife's daily driver (I drive the Leaf to work to use the car pool lane!), and at first she was uncomfortable putting the grand daughter's carseat in such a nice car. But so far it has worked out really well. We put a towel under the carseat to catch the 2 year old's messes and help protect the leather. Her stroller fits well in the trunk. It'll be interesting with the second carseat when granddaughter #2 arrives in March (I can imagine Gottlieb Daimler spinning in his grave thinking of 2 carseats in his flagship sedan :-) )

Coming from an Acura, and let's face it, this was my dream car!, she was at first a little apprehensive with the size and power of this car. But she loves it now. Drove down to the coast last weekend and took the long, scenic route home, and we were both surprised at how relaxing and fun it was; no fatigue. This is a car to be driven!

Cheers,
Reza
Old 12-03-2014, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 201 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by rtaheri

Coming from an Acura, and let's face it, this was my dream car!, she was at first a little apprehensive with the size and power of this car. But she loves it now. Drove down to the coast last weekend and took the long, scenic route home, and we were both surprised at how relaxing and fun it was; no fatigue. This is a car to be driven!

Cheers,
Reza
You got that right! This car is meant to be driven. That's why I already have 13,000 miles on it since I bought it in April.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:30 PM

S, GL
OP is long gone
Old 12-04-2014, 01:52 AM

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
GLE63S 2016
My wife and I have raised a crop of kids that now have their own cars. We always drove Escalades, but GM WRECKED the Escalades with the new design that they can't build properly yet and GM was almost a year late past our promised delivery date. So we decided to try out Mercedes. Like you, we didn't like the GL at all. Then we tried the ML550 with the AMG appearance packages and the designo leather interiors.....and WOW! We were hooked. We can haul a most of a whole volleyball team with equipment in classy comfort with absolutely incredible power. Agree that they are "common looking "- but the ride and power make up for it. We got one in Palladium and one in white diamond, both with chestnut brown designo interiors and AMG appearance packages. Hopefully GM WILL FIX their escalade design and production problems, but I can't see myself going to an Escalade now. That would be like going from fine dining to greasy pizza. The ML550 is just a really fine machine that is always a pleasure to drive. We will be replacing them with the AMG versions in a couple of years. Will,probably get the kids GLA's as well.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:46 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,350 Likes on 2,806 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by jenz
OP is long gone
haha, no kidding
Old 12-04-2014, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S550
S550 - Not sure reliable

Hi,

I am also a long term lurker and first time poster. I decided to post a reply because I noticed that you stated you are getting rid of the Range Rover due to reliability issues.

I have had several MB in the past. One of my favorites was the S55AMG. Loved that car and super reliable.

The new 2014 S550 however I think is not the best for reliability. I have had AC issues, LED lighting issues, air intake issues. Now, I have high speed (80mph or so) brake judder in the front brakes. So totally unacceptable for a new S550 with 12,500 miles on the clock. Plus this thing has rattles in the back seat area which drive me crazy. I hate my dealer now, not because they are bad, rather they treat me very well. I am just tired of seeing them!!

Further, the tech is pretty neat at first, then it just becomes a PITA after a while. Simple functions require too many steps in the command center.

The engine and trans are very smooth and powerful. But no more so than many other MB and even other brands.

This S550 will be heading down the road soon. I like a lot less of it than I like.

Just a different perspective. I would go for the GL. Skip the S unless you like your dealer.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by dje.s550
Hi,

I am also a long term lurker and first time poster. I decided to post a reply because I noticed that you stated you are getting rid of the Range Rover due to reliability issues.

I have had several MB in the past. One of my favorites was the S55AMG. Loved that car and super reliable.

The new 2014 S550 however I think is not the best for reliability. I have had AC issues, LED lighting issues, air intake issues. Now, I have high speed (80mph or so) brake judder in the front brakes. So totally unacceptable for a new S550 with 12,500 miles on the clock. Plus this thing has rattles in the back seat area which drive me crazy. I hate my dealer now, not because they are bad, rather they treat me very well. I am just tired of seeing them!!

Further, the tech is pretty neat at first, then it just becomes a PITA after a while. Simple functions require too many steps in the command center.

The engine and trans are very smooth and powerful. But no more so than many other MB and even other brands.

This S550 will be heading down the road soon. I like a lot less of it than I like.

Just a different perspective. I would go for the GL. Skip the S unless you like your dealer.
I couldn't disagree more. My S has been perfect so far, not one single issue. And I find the command system to be the most fluent, easy to use systems of all the cars I've owned. It BLOWS away my GL....
Old 12-04-2014, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S550
Originally Posted by emilner
I couldn't disagree more. My S has been perfect so far, not one single issue. And I find the command system to be the most fluent, easy to use systems of all the cars I've owned. It BLOWS away my GL....
Take a look at Consumer Reports before you buy one of these. They show the dump in reliability in the new S class.

In our business, we have 4 new S550's for the partners and one Equus Ultimate. Out of the 5 cars, all are 2014. We have two cars which are problems and always in the shop. Both are S550's. The other 2 S550's are too new to tell. Problems on both of the troubles cars began about 8k to 10k miles.

Funny enough, the Equus Ultimate has the best back seat of the 5. I have the full rear seat package in my S550, which reclines, cools, heats, etc. But the Equus is more comfortable, which I would have NEVER imagined.

As for the tech, I am sure there are those that love it. I am just not one of them. In fact, I just use the Navi on my iPhone instead of screwing around with the command center.

I am not saying that the car is awful. I love the power, the audio system and the command screen is ultimately clear.

But for my $130k, I am less than impressed. Thats all.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:00 AM

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Originally Posted by dje.s550
Take a look at Consumer Reports before you buy one of these. They show the dump in reliability in the new S class.

In our business, we have 4 new S550's for the partners and one Equus Ultimate. Out of the 5 cars, all are 2014. We have two cars which are problems and always in the shop. Both are S550's. The other 2 S550's are too new to tell. Problems on both of the troubles cars began about 8k to 10k miles.

Funny enough, the Equus Ultimate has the best back seat of the 5. I have the full rear seat package in my S550, which reclines, cools, heats, etc. But the Equus is more comfortable, which I would have NEVER imagined.

As for the tech, I am sure there are those that love it. I am just not one of them. In fact, I just use the Navi on my iPhone instead of screwing around with the command center.

I am not saying that the car is awful. I love the power, the audio system and the command screen is ultimately clear.

But for my $130k, I am less than impressed. Thats all.
We haven't had a single issue with our S Class. It has been modified in many different ways and the only problem was with roundabouts being displayed as normal roads which Mercedes fixed happily for us. Heck, the car has had a lot of its interior panels replaced for parts of the Burmester 3D and there still hasn't been an issue with it. Could the two cars have been part of a bad production line/range?
Old 12-08-2014, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by MommyMobile
Hi Forum!

Also, the GL is overly common with mommies in my neighborhood, and that also makes it feel more mundane. I feel zero excitement when I think about getting this car (particularly in that price category).
Just a quick thought on the above statement. Don't let the fact of everyone having one distract you from maybe it being best choice for you. If I lived in the hamptons in new york and everyone had a Rolls Royce would I not get one because of that... no. I would just realize we are all very rich and could have any car we want and this is what we pick because its the best car for what we would need (image and luxury). Make your choice based on what YOU want and not what other people have in their driveway. You will make a better choice that way trust me..

But you are correct the GL is not as nice on the inside as the s class. If you could wait I would hold out for the S class suv http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/m...630-zsr5t.html

Last edited by icebeam; 12-08-2014 at 04:13 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by icebeam

f you could wait I would hold out for the S class suv http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/m...630-zsr5t.html
Link not working?
Old 12-08-2014, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jason B
Link not working?
It works

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/m...630-zsr5t.html
Old 12-08-2014, 10:35 AM

S, GL
Originally Posted by icebeam
The GLS is just the current GL, there are new interior photos floating around about the redesign but don't expect S class level interior on the GL, at least not this iteration.