MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W222) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222-178/)
-   -   A Lot of '15 - S550 Coupes for sale... (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222/565124-lot-15-s550-coupes-sale.html)

texex91 11-25-2014 08:27 AM

A Lot of '15 - S550 Coupes for sale...

Well a lot may be a stretch, but a quick search turned up about 151, which seems like quite a few. Almost all seem to be launch vehicles, which I can understand is a love or hate with red interior.

Was offered 10% off MSRP yesterday (which dealers only have 12.25% in them at cost), but I know these things depreciate quickly.

Curious as to what others are seeing for S550 Coupe?

Getting out of '15 S550 sedan for coupe, but also looking at Bentley GT. Bentley is getting a little long in the tooth design wise (11 years same design), where as S550 Coupe is latest and greatest--and let's face it, the MB looks hot :naughty:

KG29 11-25-2014 09:46 AM

It's really crazy the deals you guys get in the USA your S class coupe starts at $119,000,buying the same car in Canada it's a $147,500. The costs are the same in Germany making the same car,so the boat ride and import fees really make a $28,500 difference for a boarder.

texex91 11-25-2014 11:34 AM

No one else has bought a Coupe off the lot yet?

LovinMercedes 11-25-2014 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by texex91 (Post 6242484)
No one else has bought a Coupe off the lot yet?

Hence, the discounts. :rolf:

hyperion667 11-25-2014 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by KG29 (Post 6242363)
It's really crazy the deals you guys get in the USA your S class coupe starts at $119,000,buying the same car in Canada it's a $147,500. The costs are the same in Germany making the same car,so the boat ride and import fees really make a $28,500 difference for a boarder.

right but doesn't Canada have real healthcare? and not health treatment like USA?

KG29 11-25-2014 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by hyperion667 (Post 6242654)
right but doesn't Canada have real healthcare? and not health treatment like USA?

How does health care play a part in this:confused:

texex91 11-25-2014 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by KG29 (Post 6242740)

Well if I buy one my mental health will be better because I will have a cool looking car :)

But seriously, it's interesting not more people here have one a Coupe?

hyperion667 11-25-2014 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by KG29 (Post 6242740)

sorry bad joke I guess......I meant maybe we have better car prices......and (I thought) Canada has better health care?

you see? bad joke:smash:

Germancar1 11-25-2014 05:13 PM

150 coupe nationwide or in particular region?

M

texex91 11-25-2014 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Germancar1 (Post 6242901)
150 coupe nationwide or in particular region?

M

According to Auto Trader nationwide (which probably means at least double that since not all dealers list their inventory there).

I decided to pass until USAA has some rebates on them (which should be soon). Heck they have $4500 off '15 S Sedans + holiday cash. Can wait until Jan and see what happens. :y

Germancar1 11-25-2014 05:19 PM

150 units is clearly not lot of cars considering MBUSA has 362 dealerships, that isn't even 2 cars per dealer.

M

5634MG 11-25-2014 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by KG29 (Post 6242363)

To be fair, the S-Coupe in Canada is pretty well equipped compared to the base US model. What's included as standard is the sport package, premium package, warmth and comfort package, wood steering wheel, heads up display, heated windscreen, and driver assistance package which is approximately 15k USD, equivalent to approximately 17k CAD. Throw in the additional "Canadian premium" into the price (about 10-15%) and you basically have the Canadian MSRP.

With that said, charging double for the magic sky control in Canada is robbery. At least we get the Swarovski headlamps as an option for all production years, not just Edition 1. :D:D:D

bzliteyear 11-25-2014 08:18 PM

seems like fully loaded closer to $150k msrp?
i still can't get over first 1-3 yr drops on the MB high end cars - tough to justify EVER buying them new, unless it's someone else's money.
also, other than 30 yr old MBs, the only other MB that's holding up in price are the G-wagons, and even then it's only the 5-10 yr old ones in the $30-50k range?
PL

texex91 11-25-2014 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by bzliteyear (Post 6243097)
seems like fully loaded closer to $150k msrp?
i still can't get over first 1-3 yr drops on the MB high end cars - tough to justify EVER buying them new, unless it's someone else's money.
also, other than 30 yr old MBs, the only other MB that's holding up in price are the G-wagons, and even then it's only the 5-10 yr old ones in the $30-50k range?
PL

Yep certainly an issue with a mass produced vehicle like MB. They will pump them out as quick as possible. The S Class (and as a S550 Sedan owner) has one of the worst depreciation of any car (well except AMG which is the worst).

If I can get one at dealer cost (12.25% off, I'd still hesitate). That is the problem is with mass produced cars--they produce WAY too many with too much dealer cost built in. Porsche is 10%, MB 12.15%, Audi 6%--always had great resale on Audi's--wonder why.

natman316 11-26-2014 06:05 AM

Lol dealers in so cal are asking 15k over sticker for on the lot s coupes....

texex91 11-26-2014 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by natman316 (Post 6243446)
Lol dealers in so cal are asking 15k over sticker for on the lot s coupes....

Dealers in SoCal ask for $15K over on ANY car :D

WSH 11-26-2014 11:37 PM

Market is market on launch cars; BH/NwptBch mkt tends to be hotter than any other in US (lots of dumb money from all over US/RoW looking for latest status car in place w/ideal weather&culture to advertise it daily)

Know that 65 Coupes have already been delayed from mid-Oct to late Dec builds (first bespoke slots at BH and on SF Peninsula)

MBUSA apparently bungled timing of builds of 65s (and available critical choices like paint/leather, etc)......amusing as one would suspect profitability of these 65s is far greater than 63s or 550s which are POS relatively from any engineering or aesthetic standpoint....and are non-starters for many who've been buying new 65s for yrs and understand glaring weaknesses in drivetrain/chassis tech of 550/63

Amused abt the deprec argument....any >$200K car driven ~10K mis/yr will suffer severe deprec upon trade-in, esp one properly spec'd w/CCB, cf, etc etc; buyer of used ex-$200+K cars is entirely different animal from those who consume such new cars daily.....but in overall scheme of what any cars cost today (and their safety/perf/reliability/aesthetics, etc) vs cars of 10-20yrs ago, today's fully-spec'd new 65 is awfully cheap....would argue worst values in MB lineup are any 550/600/63....would prob rather drive a new C300 instead if couldn't afford new 65...

texex91 11-27-2014 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by WSH (Post 6244557)
Amused abt the deprec argument....any >$200K car driven ~10K mis/yr will suffer severe deprec upon trade-in, esp one properly spec'd w/CCB, cf, etc etc; buyer of used ex-$200+K cars is entirely different animal from those who consume such new cars daily.....but in overall scheme of what any cars cost today (and their safety/perf/reliability/aesthetics, etc) vs cars of 10-20yrs ago, today's fully-spec'd new 65 is awfully cheap....would argue worst values in MB lineup are any 550/600/63....would prob rather drive a new C300 instead if couldn't afford new 65...

Actually the 65 will suffer the worst depreciation as it's the most expensive.

EVERYONE knows any flavor of AMG tanks in depreciation faster than a brick in water.

Heck the smart money is in the regular S550 coupe not AMG.

Quadcammer 11-27-2014 09:00 AM

.amusing as one would suspect profitability of these 65s is far greater than 63s or 550s which are POS relatively from any engineering or aesthetic standpoint....and are non-starters for many who've been buying new 65s for yrs and understand glaring weaknesses in drivetrain/chassis tech of 550/63

still at it with this absolute nonsense huh?

jenz 11-27-2014 09:26 AM

would argue worst values in MB lineup are any 550/600/63....would prob rather drive a new C300 instead if couldn't afford new 65...

You started strong but ended far from it, but everyone is entitled to an opinion even if it is way wrong. 550>63>65 in terms of value, less depreciation etc.

hyperion667 11-27-2014 09:38 AM

you guys crack me up!! give thanx!

the coupe cars are nice to look at, have a great start-up sound and the interior lay out is great!
when you start thinking about depreciation it seems that would ruin everything

2014CL600 11-27-2014 02:32 PM

Well, I finally found after trying to find a 14 CL 600 Designo (interior and paint) with every single option in a color I could live with (something other than black or silver or white). It took almost 8 months but finally someone had special ordered and didn't take delivery on one and it was exactly what I wanted with every option that was offered. I have had it for about 6 months and LOVE,LOVE,LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That being said I had first refusal on an S 550 Coupe Edition 1. I loved the red/black interior and the wheels and the headlamps (which will only be offered on that model at least this year) I was not crazy about the exterior color as in the showroom it looked like flat grey. I debated over the car for several days, as the car belonged to MBZ and not the dealer until the release date. I personally did not like the dash at all. I was hoping for more content like on the S sedan. The S Coupe's interior seemed cheap, and down graded even from the previous model (and it was even a Designo). Only small sections of wood (which for me is a large selling point) I have a Bentley GT Speed and the interior of that car is about as fine as it gets. I find the CL interior to be right behind the Bentley. As for the comment on being," Long in the tooth" that isn't so. It was totally refreshed in 12 and is very relevant even today. The technology isn't quite as up to date but Bentley is planning on taking care of that. As for design it is a work or art as is the 11-14 CL is (the 07-10 was a design nightmare which cause harm to the sale of the car).
Now to the point. I went over the S Coupe for many days, returning daily, getting in and out checking everything out and I have to say I finally gave the go ahead to sell it to the next person in line. The interior (except for the seat pattern, Designo seating) and the technology. I was not impressed at all. I would be going from a 190K car to a 147K car and that is a major difference. Once you drive a 600 you cant drive a 550. The suspension is Airmatic not ABC. It will NEVER be able to hold the road like the ABC systems do. No matter what they do it just cant compare. I like the new front fascia but find the car looks fat and a little bloated plus it has a plastic feel. The door panels lack the detail and as I said the dash is really rather ugly. Again, I was expecting an S sedan dash with wood everywhere. I was so disappointed in the car and I thought it was just time to keep what I have and when it comes time to buy another car it will be maybe a different automaker. I have always been loyal to MBZ since the introduction of the new CL in 2000. This is now my 5th CL, since that time but am very unhappy with interior most of all (they even went back to the OLD mirrors of the past (very UGLY). I also am disappointed that Mercedes is now charging for items that once were standard equipment even on the most basic CL550. As ugly as the S sedan is on the outside the inside is leaps and bounds far superior to the previous generations of cars.
Not to mention the obvious but the S Sedan is 26K less than the Coupe. It just doesn't make any sense. MBZ is becoming money hungry and greedy. I can afford any car I want but I want to move up not back, remember newer isn't always better. Think about it realistically, you almost cant afford to keep the new S series, when out of warranty because the electronics will kill to replace or repair. Think about how much a video screen will cost, if it goes out and it isn't covered under the factory warranty. It will be impossible to keep maintained. Also, look at MBZ resale value, they drop like Titanic. The Bentley as of 2012 and up hasn't depreciated at all, 10 and down you can buy for a song.
Anyway, as much as I wanted to love the S Coupe I like the 11-14 CL 600 so much better.
So, sadly this CL will be my last MBZ until they decide to make the car what it once was.
Even on the Maybach that is coming out, its 230K loaded and it isn't on the par of the original Maybach. Its 200K less in price. Basically the new Maybach is a 600 of present.
Mercedes has really started to water down its brand to the point that money means more than prestige.
So the final evaluation is buy the Bentley, it will be worth what you pay for it (esp. if you buy a two year old one) for many years plus you have a much more prestigious car with a lot more content for the same amount of money.

texex91 11-27-2014 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by 2014CL600 (Post 6245000)
That being said I had first refusal on an S 550 Coupe Edition 1. .

Nice long write up--thank you. Regarding the interior of the Coupe, I think it's sportier than sedan for sure, hence why probably less wood. I find the seats super comfortable--even more so than my '15 S550 Sedan.

I hear on the 'redesign' of Bentley, but not really. The outside is almost identical for the past 11 years (minor front facia changes) and certainly does not turn heads anymore (IMHO). As you mentioned, the electronics today (doesn't matter what they will do in the future) are pathetic. Also, after talking with many Bentley dealers over the past two weeks, the depreciation is horrible. Example, 2014 Speed $245K...now $189K (and that's a new car)...that is what I call depreciation on a new car. They have a new 2013 Speed for $160k ($240k original miles)...so please don't compare residual, as Bentley is probably the worst. However, yes the interior is very nice and oh that engine--wow! 636HP. But the car as a whole is very 'old timer' vs a new S550 Coupe (could be an age thing).

Don't get me started on the depreciation of CL--they can't give those away on the secondary market.

Agree MB is making way too many models and flavors of different lines, but exactly what every German car maker is doing today. Heck, Bentley is jumping on the boat also by offering a less expense V8 line, then added recently V8 S...so no different. Trying to expand the model line with minor tweaks and trying to appeal new buyers...exactly what German makers are doing.

Still scratching my head as what to do. :nix:

2014CL600 11-27-2014 04:00 PM

I do not agree with you on the Bentley front. The body skin is totally different as is the interior, it isn't just a refresh it has been refined much like the CL of 11-14. Except the Bentley made major body, electrical, suspension other vast improvements from the first generation, not to mention they even changed their leather vendors. As for depreciation go on line and look on any website. A 2012 is only about 20% off retail. Go look at a Mercedes S Sedan or CL and the depreciation is about 50% in the same time frame more on the previous S sedan and esp. on the 10 down CL. My dealership sells the most Bentley's and RR's in the entire country, so maybe your dealership isn't quiet as informed. Listen, a second hand market for these price cars are not for the rich they are for the people that want to be part of that particular crowd. The Bentley V8 was done purely for one reason and one reason only, CAFE requirements. As for the V8 Bentley, they are not selling. They are not holding their value and they are hard to find used because no one has been buying them. They have made Minor tweaks from 12-up but major redesign from 10 down ( no 11's were produced). As for cache as much as I love my CL it doesn't hold a candle for turning the heads as a Bentley does. Yes, if they still have a 13 and the 15's are out they will do almost anything to get rid of it as it cost them money to hold onto the model. Go on ANY website you will see the Bentley holds its value, not the 10 down but the 12 up. Now, as for new S Sedan you can buy those not even 12 months old for a song. They are just not attractive ( that isn't my opinion it is the critics that even say so). The grille looks like a big mouth bass. It is out of proportion, the green house is distorted (the previous model was so much better looking, they should have changed the front fenders like they did on the CL and put in more content like the 14-up but who am I to tell them what to do. The interior on the other hand is amazing esp. the 600. Still to be honest I don't like BMW's but they have a better design on the 7 Series and esp. on the 6 Series. They are just an all around more beautiful cars. BMW's interior are horrific, they look cheaper than a Toyota. For some reason BMW just doesn't seam to show much in the way of interest in interior design. I am not a BMW fan because I like comfort over being thrown around like rag doll. Anyway, if you notice the problem with all automakers of today is that they only build black, silver or white cars. No imagination with color. At least Mercedes is doing interior colors but as for color you have very little now days to choice from. The market is flooded with black, silver or white or slight variations in those colors. So, when you go to look, which one do you choice from 50 of the same car in the same color. As for the 11-14 only a little over 200 of the 600 were built. They will be the ones people want. I have been trying to find a spare to drive and store the one I have but In the past year I have only seen 2 for sale and my friend who has access to the Manheim auction report, says none have come to auction since Jan of 14. They just aren't around. If you do find one its BLACK. Black is beautiful for a day. My mother bought a new Rapide in Black and she spends 1,100 dollars every 6 months for a super detail and 150.00 a month for a regular detail. Plus it has to be washed twice a week. Who needs it.
Back to the Bentley, I see nothing available but black, silver and white any longer for them as well. The Bespoke cars are impossible to find. I had an 09 GT speed that was a Bespoke car that I bought with 3K miles in a very special color and sold it 10 months later making a 30K profit, then buying a new 13 GT Speed that I special ordered. You cant do that with a Benz even if you are a dealer buying it from auction and selling it at high retail. So, if your smart buy a Bentley, if you want to lose your ass in depreciation buy a MBZ ( and not to say I don't love my CL 600). Basically the problem with all car manufactures is that changing models as often as they do kills resale as well as poor designs and color blocking. Look at the SL, it has been a major flop and is going into a new design next year. One of the fastest changes in SL history. Trust me, the Bentley doesn't handle as well as the CL and I love driving my CL over my Bentley all day long but when it comes down to it, I like the attention the Bentley gets me. So, its a toss up.

One last thing, did you know that ANY 500,550 or 63 unless you ordered the Premium leather package or Designo interior that the car is all MB TEX. Except for the steering wheel and the seat covers. The dash, door panels, package tray etc. are all synthetic. On the 600 you get a full leather interior ( premium leather). I didn't even know that until I was made aware of it from the owner of my MBZ dealership. You would think for the kind of money MBZ wants for these cars the interiors would be actual leather and not synthetic material. On the Bentley even the headliner is full on leather to match the full leather interior no to mention half the rain forest.

texex91 11-27-2014 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by 2014CL600 (Post 6245064)
me, the Bentley doesn't handle as well as the CL and I love driving my CL over my Bentley all day long but when it comes down to it, I like the attention the Bentley gets me. So, its a toss up.

We certainly agree that the MB has bad depreciation. HOWEVER, you state Bentley you make money--um, here take a look at Walnut Creek Bentley--these are advertised prices for 2014's. When you call them they will take 20% off. So 20% off at dealer means, 30% off at wholesale, which my friend means terrible residual--you cannot argue this on a 2014..http://www.bentleywalnutcreek.com/ne...tory/index.htm

A stock standard Bentley GT W12 Speed will easily lose 30% the first year--no denying that. I just send you a link showing what they are going for...and yes I have spoken to a half dozen dealers and they all pretty much told me the same thing.

I really do like the GT, but it does have that 'rich jerk' factor to it. Not a car I would leave in a parking garage downtown--must be valeted (which is totally fine, unless you're somewhere that doesn't have valet).

If I can get steal on a Bentley I might buy one as the W12 is sweet.

But newsflash--Bentley reslae is not easy--most dealers won't even take one unless you are trading, and then low ball you.

But both MB and Bentley are not good resale cars period.