S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

2016 BMW 7-series Spied (And we'll all be grinning)

Old 01-04-2015, 11:01 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by K-A
Yes, that's beautiful. I'm not BMW's CEO and he's obviously intent to keep the boardroom happy, but I think it would bode them well to dedicate resources to making one generation of 7 go "all out" like that car to really try and dethrone the S. The E38 went so far, and though it can be argued that the E65 went "all out" in the very way I mentioned, it was marred in very disagreeable styling. It seems like after that, BMW designed a beautiful F01, but just didn't put enough push, or something, behind it. It has all the potential it needs, but it just somehow gives an impression they BMW doesn't think it's all that important.

While MB make it very clear that they're desperate to maintain the S as the status leader and continuous dominant in its sector. And the market clearly appreciates that passion.
I firmly believe that any buyer of the S Class that were to sit in my father's car would find that they now have a very tough decision to make. My father had a 2001 E38 740iL and it was one hell of a car. Solid to the core - felt like a tank. (which helps because it was the protection version, minus the windows).

It started having problems - was well out of warranty and repair visits costs $5 - 6k per experience.

My father historically never goes out to buy a car. Oddly enough he trusts my mom to pick a car for him. (Such a non male thing to do). My mother knows nothing about cars so she called me to figure this out. We went looking at Range Rover in June and we were told it was a 1 year wait so we left. We went to Mercedes and sat in the GL550, G550 and felt that we loved the GL550 but wanted to check out what BMW had to offer. We sat in a few 7 series on the ground floor and we were completely unimpressed. They were standard 750Li x Drive and just did not have any wow factor whatsoever.

We went upstairs to the 2nd floor that had the new i8, i3, the new Active Hybrid 7 series, the new M6 4 door, etc. This was the dealerships more exclusive section I imagine.

Then we saw a citrin black BMW 7 exclusive 750Li X drive. We both thought -what an interesting color. The doors were locked - so they opened it for us - and the millisecond we opened the door - the aroma of massive amounts of leather exploded. We sat in it, closed the door. Looked around in COMPLETE amazement and knew right then and there we found Dad's new car. We didn't even know the price. We told them we wanted it - don't sell it - and that Dad would come later on in the day to give his final decision. Hours later, I went to his office - picked him up - took him to BMW Manhattan - he thought the car was pretty darn amazing too and bought it.

I drove the car to my friend (fellow member MARKO on here) in Pennsylvania and when he sat in the car - his first words were "This is like a Bentley. It's nicer than a Bentley in here!" His previous cars were a CL600, CL63 and currently he drives an S8 2014.

That WOW factor that I had, mom had, dad had, and Marko had....is what ALL 7 series should have - if they want to compete with Mercedes S Class.

That's why I told this story. When BMW makes all 7 series in this fashion....they'll be fine. I just don't see that happening.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:06 AM
Banned

2014 S550
Just look BEHIND the back seat - where the window shade is - and where the seat belts come out of.

Suede and Black Piano Wood. This attention to detail and overwhelming "needless" luxury is Bentley standards.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by Chucky300
Just look BEHIND the back seat - where the window shade is - and where the seat belts come out of.

Suede and Black Piano Wood. This attention to detail and overwhelming "needless" luxury is Bentley standards.
Your story about how you found the car and the attention to detail in those pics is amazing. I bet 99% of BMW owners don't even know about it/or have never one of these. I've been to plenty of BMW dealers and have never seen any 7 like this and I'm a car guy. They really need to step up their game for the flagship and incorporate some of those interior aspects. That car seems to be a hidden gem that no one knows about. They already have it done and like you said, the regular 7 series did nothing to impress you or your mother.

Last edited by Jason B; 01-04-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
I firmly believe that any buyer of the S Class that were to sit in my father's car would find that they now have a very tough decision to make. My father had a 2001 E38 740iL and it was one hell of a car. Solid to the core - felt like a tank. (which helps because it was the protection version, minus the windows).

It started having problems - was well out of warranty and repair visits costs $5 - 6k per experience.

My father historically never goes out to buy a car. Oddly enough he trusts my mom to pick a car for him. (Such a non male thing to do). My mother knows nothing about cars so she called me to figure this out. We went looking at Range Rover in June and we were told it was a 1 year wait so we left. We went to Mercedes and sat in the GL550, G550 and felt that we loved the GL550 but wanted to check out what BMW had to offer. We sat in a few 7 series on the ground floor and we were completely unimpressed. They were standard 750Li x Drive and just did not have any wow factor whatsoever.

We went upstairs to the 2nd floor that had the new i8, i3, the new Active Hybrid 7 series, the new M6 4 door, etc. This was the dealerships more exclusive section I imagine.

Then we saw a citrin black BMW 7 exclusive 750Li X drive. We both thought -what an interesting color. The doors were locked - so they opened it for us - and the millisecond we opened the door - the aroma of massive amounts of leather exploded. We sat in it, closed the door. Looked around in COMPLETE amazement and knew right then and there we found Dad's new car. We didn't even know the price. We told them we wanted it - don't sell it - and that Dad would come later on in the day to give his final decision. Hours later, I went to his office - picked him up - took him to BMW Manhattan - he thought the car was pretty darn amazing too and bought it.

I drove the car to my friend (fellow member MARKO on here) in Pennsylvania and when he sat in the car - his first words were "This is like a Bentley. It's nicer than a Bentley in here!" His previous cars were a CL600, CL63 and currently he drives an S8 2014.

That WOW factor that I had, mom had, dad had, and Marko had....is what ALL 7 series should have - if they want to compete with Mercedes S Class.

That's why I told this story. When BMW makes all 7 series in this fashion....they'll be fine. I just don't see that happening.
I had a 2010 7 Series Individual in Citrin Black with Amaro Brown. It was truly gorgeous and everything you are saying.

The Individual Series is miles ahead of any of the other 7 series cars, which I too found very plain. The detail given on the Individual lines is amazing and extremely well done.

That being said, the W222 all dressed up is still my choice.

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 01-04-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:28 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by Jason B
Your story about how you found the car and the attention to detail in those pics is amazing. I bet 99% of BMW I owners don't even know this level of luxury exists. I've been to plenty of BMW dealers and have never seen any 7 like this. They really need to step up their game for the flagship and incorporate some of those interior aspects. That car seems to be a hidden gem that no one knows about. They already have it done and like you said, the regular 7 series did nothing to impress you or your mother.
The regular 7 did nothing at all to impress my parents. We were going to go for the GL550.

All 7 series should look like the one my father purchased. They should want every owner of a 7 series to be as proud of their car the way this one has our appreciation.

Everyone who drives an S Class is so proud to post pictures of their interior - and the same can't be said for 90% of BMW 7 drivers. That's a real shame.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
the individual package is a huge step up in quality for the 7 series. Just like the designo package was on the w220 (shame yours was a pre-facelift without the full leather chucky).

The w222 is the first car that I don't think the designo or full leather is required. W221 interior is pretty plasticky ask well, same with the 7 and audi.

The actual build quality of my w220 has been great. Everything fits together well, no rattles or squeeks, etc. Some niggling issues to be sure, but its a solid car. Early models...yeah, not the best for sure.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:57 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by LovinMercedes
I had a 2010 7 Series Individual in Citrin Black with Amaro Brown. It was truly gorgeous and everything you are saying.

The Individual Series is miles ahead of any of the other 7 series cars, which I too found very plain. The detail given on the Individual lines is amazing and extremely well done.

That being said, the W222 all dressed up is still my choice.
Citrin black is a little more "whisky" colored than your mocha black right?

My friend's CL 600 was Mocha Black like yours.

Why did you give up the BMW individual?
Old 01-04-2015, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C class Coupe 250 CDI
Originally Posted by Jason B
Your story about how you found the car and the attention to detail in those pics is amazing. I bet 99% of BMW owners don't even know about it/or have never one of these. I've been to plenty of BMW dealers and have never seen any 7 like this and I'm a car guy. They really need to step up their game for the flagship and incorporate some of those interior aspects. That car seems to be a hidden gem that no one knows about. They already have it done and like you said, the regular 7 series did nothing to impress you or your mother.

interesting discussions regarding this are taking place on Bimmerpost and this is one of the reasoning from Scott26, a well known BMW insider and he praises W222

"Yes it is the interior of the new 7er but there are specifications to choose from as well as BMW Individual, the interior is minimalist and lounge like to avoid conflict with the more ornate hand crafted elegance found within a Rolls-Royce.
Mercedes have gone out to put the car at this level which it succeeds. But they can , BMW cannot do something similar and choose not to because they want to form a more distinctive line between its two brands so that they sit apart and not on each other. Yes new metallic switchgear replaces previous plastic the coating is of a very high quality as is the damping effect of the switchgear itself. These pictures do not show the full detail and also full specification available to customers.
This the entry 730d or if you will the European markets best selling 7er so it is specified to a degree in which base 7er customers option their car"
Old 01-04-2015, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
This is what they did with their BMW INDIVIDUAL classification.

Problem is - it costs a fortune for the buyer to pick a 7 series Individual.

BMW S Class Designo adds 6000 to the price tag, where as the Individual is nearly twice that much.

It certainly does give the car the IT factor.
Just look at this door in the back seat of my fathers 2014.

This is how every BMW 7 should look if this is their executive money bags car for those with the cash to spend.

Remind me, was that the car we picked all the fireworks with?
Or, was it your's

(I promise, I won't open my mouth to the elders...)
Old 01-04-2015, 06:14 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by Red Marko
Remind me, was that the car we picked all the fireworks with?
Or, was it your's

(I promise, I won't open my mouth to the elders...)
It was with that one. Yes. You drove. If i recall - more than 100mph? I won't tell my elders either lol.

Meanwhile - change your signature pick. You poser! lol
Old 01-04-2015, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My 2010 7 series Individual with Amaro interior and Citrin exterior.

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 01-04-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:44 PM
Banned

2014 S550
My 2010 7 series Individual with Amaro interior and Citrin exterior.

OUT OF CONTROL gorgeous pictures. You totally capture the color in that shot. Do you miss this car? Why'd you give it up?
Old 01-04-2015, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OUT OF CONTROL gorgeous pictures. You totally capture the color in that shot. Do you miss this car? Why'd you give it up?
Thanks. The Amaro was a very hard color to capture its true color in pictures.

I change my car at least every two years and I went to the dealer to order the 2012 7 series Individual with the Cohiba Brown interior, much like the color of my MB now. I've wanted that color since then.

When the dealer went to put my order through, BMW said the new digital electronic dash would not be available in the US, even though they had already come out in Europe. I really wanted the digital dash.

I went to MB after that, and have not turned back since then. I do need to say that was a great car. I loved it and it was gorgeous.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:09 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Thanks. The Amaro was a very hard color to capture its true color in pictures.

I change my car at least every two years and I went to the dealer to order the 2012 7 series Individual with the Cohiba Brown interior, much like the color of my MB now. I've wanted that color since then.

When the dealer went to put my order through, BMW said the new digital electronic dash would not be available in the US, even though they had already come out in Europe. I really wanted the digital dash.

I went to MB after that, and have not turned back since then. I do need to say that was a great car. I loved it and it was gorgeous.
Absolutely a beautiful soft comfortable car. VERY smooth over bumps. You can tell how much pride BMW took while making these limited cars.

Mercedes S Class is a very different car. It's hard to say which is better (comparing Designo and Individual) car to car. They both handle very differently.

The S Class seems easier to drive? Takes less effort perhaps to drive it. I feel the 7 series leaves more responsibility and effort in the hands of the driver.

Does that make sense? It's difficult to really describe.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Absolutely a beautiful soft comfortable car. VERY smooth over bumps. You can tell how much pride BMW took while making these limited cars.

Mercedes S Class is a very different car. It's hard to say which is better (comparing Designo and Individual) car to car. They both handle very differently.

The S Class seems easier to drive? Takes less effort perhaps to drive it. I feel the 7 series leaves more responsibility and effort in the hands of the driver.

I completely understand exactly what you are saying. After I had my 2007 Aston Martin Vanquish S, I bought the Neiman Marcus M6 Edition because I still wanted a car that had serious performance characteristics. I got tired of the M6 because it took too much effort to drive that car. That car just loved to have gas and loved to be pushed really hard. It drove great and it performed great, but I just wanted something that had a sportier drive with less effort. I used be amazed at how the M6 performed compared to the Vanquish S, at 30% its cost.

I then went to the 7 series because it was the perfect combination of luxury, with a sporty ride. I used to still go flying around corners with my 7 and I felt completely safe. The car drove like a big sports car. The MB S class does not have that same feel.

When asked, I used to describe the 7 as sporty luxury, and the my S class as total luxury. I am pretty sure that analysis still holds true.

It will be interesting to see what 2016 brings, although I can't see myself deviating to that brand again. I might buy it for a year, if it's really nice, but I am pretty happy with MB these days. I am interested to see what I can do with the new Maybach, when the time comes.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:25 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500

Makes perfect sense. BMW is intended to be a drivers car while Mercedes a car that "drives for you".

That 7 is gorgeous. I agree, if they care to really dethrone the S, they should do that as standard and just sacrifice some margins as a long term investment. These companies sometimes lose focus in long term by just trying to ensure quarter to quarter bonuses sometimes. The BMW AG CEO just got replaced, so there's something going in. Enthusiasts aren't happy with brand management even while the brand becomes more successful. Enthusiasts are the ones who create the desirability and aspirational values of these brands so hopefully BMW is recognizing that again.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:44 PM
Banned

2014 S550
I completely understand exactly what you are saying. After I had my 2007 Aston Martin Vanquish S, I bought the Neiman Marcus M6 Edition because I still wanted a car that had serious performance characteristics. I got tired of the M6 because it took too much effort to drive that car. That car just loved to have gas and loved to be pushed really hard. It drove great and it performed great, but I just wanted something that had a sportier drive with less effort. I used be amazed at how the M6 performed compared to the Vanquish S, at 30% its cost.

I then went to the 7 series because it was the perfect combination of luxury, with a sporty ride. I used to still go flying around corners with my 7 and I felt completely safe. The car drove like a big sports car. The MB S class does not have that same feel.

When asked, I used to describe the 7 as sporty luxury, and the my S class as total luxury. I am pretty sure that analysis still holds true.

It will be interesting to see what 2016 brings, although I can't see myself deviating to that brand again. I might buy it for a year, if it's really nice, but I am pretty happy with MB these days. I am interested to see what I can do with the new Maybach, when the time comes.
I wold LOVE to see a photo of your Aston Vanquish S. Always loved that car - James Bond is a lucky guy - as are you.

Everything you said rings true.

One thing though I have noticed - When you go around a curve in your S Class which has ABC / MBC - do you notice how absolutely FLAT you are in Sport setting vs how you felt in the BMW?

I just took the 7 series out tonight because I wanted to see how it was before writing here. I took it on a curve, and while I felt totally and completely secure - the body roll is definitely "there" vs a flat cornering on rails I felt from my car.

I feel that the accelleration on the 7 is quicker though but in a weird way. You ever notice when you are on an airplane, and you are beginning to the charge down the runway - theres a period of say 7 seconds where you think to yourself "not fast enough - not going to take off" and then it kicks in and you feel the thrust of the engines have gone from 20 to 100 % immediately and then you are charging the hell down the runway for the take off?

I feel like thats the same thing in the 7. Driving in both Sport, and Comfort (Comfort Plus not so much) - I feel like when I hit the gas - Im moving quick but giving it "more" gas turns the thrusters on and kaboom.

With the S Class - I feel like its smooth from 0 - 100 without any deviation from smoothness. Best way to describe it - having a cup of water in the car from 0 - 100 - it won't spill in the S Class - but the 7....if you push ever so slightly - it lunges forward and on and on and on - meanwhile the cup is now in the back seat.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I wold LOVE to see a photo of your Aston Vanquish S. Always loved that car - James Bond is a lucky guy - as are you.
I apologize to the OP for these Aston Martin pictures being a off topic, but here they are.

Talking about being nuts about a car. You may not believe it, but I have actually calmed down about my cars, as I have gotten older.

When I got this car, I could not handle the 30 days on the ocean, so I had it flown in on a 747 directly from England to Oakland International airport. We met the plane there, and had the car brought directly to the dealer. It was nuts. Done on one day, and at the dealer, 24 hours later.

Aston Martin was great, sending me pictures of my car from start to finish, at each built and assembly station. Talk about a car 100 percent made by hand.

Here are a few of the pictures.

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 01-04-2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:00 PM
Banned

2014 S550
I apologize to the OP for these Aston Martin pictures being a off topic, but here they are.

Talking about being nuts about a car. You may not believe it, but I have actually calmed down about my cars, as I have gotten older.

When I got this car, I could not handle the 30 days on the ocean, so I had it flown in on a 747 directly from England to Oakland International airport. We met the plane there, and had the car brought directly to the dealer. It was nuts. Done on one day, and at the dealer, 24 hours later.

Aston Martin was great, sending me pictures of my car from start to finish, at each built and assembly station. Talk about a car 100 percent made by hand.

Here are a few of the pictures.

You....are....a....god!

Absolutely without any dilution - You are....Supreme being on this forum and for car enthusiasts the world over!
Old 01-05-2015, 01:08 AM

2007 e320 Bluetec
If it's anything like pictured here, looks pretty fantastic to me-and I'm not a 7 series fan!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...ochina2014.jpg
Old 01-05-2015, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bluechick
If it's anything like pictured here, looks pretty fantastic to me-and I'm not a 7 series fan!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...ochina2014.jpg
This is the new concept 9 series.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You....are....a....god!

Absolutely without any dilution - You are....Supreme being on this forum and for car enthusiasts the world over!
Thanks Chucky300. I think we are all supreme enthusiasts when it comes to each of our cars. It is always nice to be able to share our experiences.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:51 AM

2007 e320 Bluetec
NINE series? Wow, I must have missed that. Cool looking car but how big is it going to be? The 7 is already huge!
Old 01-05-2015, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NINE series? Wow, I must have missed that. Cool looking car but how big is it going to be? The 7 is already huge!
Here is the article that describes the concept 9 series.

bmw-unveils-concept-previewing-9-series-flagship

Here is a video.

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 01-05-2015 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It hasn't been greenlighted, but if the new CEO does approve it things are going to get interesting.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2016 BMW 7-series Spied (And we'll all be grinning)