S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Forbes magazine-- Avoid BMW 7 series

Old 12-21-2014, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts
S560
I rally do want a RR- I may just get one to fill the urge.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:28 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by emilner
I rally do want a RR- I may just get one to fill the urge.
If you do - try out my salesman at Ray Catena - Stand up guy so far.

In this case, try to skip Long Island Auto Group (land rove glen cove / huntington)

I now realize that our name was pushed down the list to make room for existing customers.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:58 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by emilner
I beg to differ. My W222 is amazingly sporty when pushed hard. It blows away my 2012 750il. When in comfort modes it glides and feels perfectly isolated from the world. Hit the suspension and tranny into sport and it immediately turns into a beast. I can't get over just how dynamically different the car becomes.
Yeah, that's what I mean. The 7 needs to take *back* the sportiness crown. From what I read, it seems some say the 7 is sportier and some say the S, and the W222 makes sense to be more dynamic as you say.

The problem with the F01 is that it lost its goal. Is it a sports luxo barge? Or a luxury luxo barge? It's too in between. I think BMW needs to pick a formula and go best in class with it, because it's hard to find areas where the F01 leads class. I can make an argument as to why it has the best overall package (not that I necessarily agree now with the W222 out, but it's an easier argument than to find it leading in any one aspect).

The Next gen sounds very promising. I'm seriously curious as to what the CF construction will do for it. It'll be a big window into whether BMW will retain dynamic leadership amongst its competitors again.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2020 S560
Had a 2012 750iXL. Sold it; fuel delivery problems the dealer could not fix. Bought a RangeRover; what a treat; does everything I could want; has 86 ft^3 of stowage, V8 Supercharged, 27.8 gal tank, avg 21 mpg. Got it to haul my wife's electric wheelchair.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:05 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by SteveVukelich
Had a 2012 750iXL. Sold it; fuel delivery problems the dealer could not fix. Bought a RangeRover; what a treat; does everything I could want; has 86 ft^3 of stowage, V8 Supercharged, 27.8 gal tank, avg 21 mpg. Got it to haul my wife's electric wheelchair.
Details on your new RR?

Year? Color? Long Wheel Base? Options?
Old 12-21-2014, 06:36 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2020 S560
Year 2014.5 (RR uses half model years), 5.0L Supercharged V8, Long Wheel base, color Scotia Gray, all-leather interior, full size sliding panoramic sunroof, Vision Assist (360-deg cameras, includes cameras to view location of front wheels, with zoom/magnify capability), Tow Pack (hitch and electrical, tows to 7,700 lb), Rear Seat Entertainment, Heated/cooled (not vented) front seats, rear seats heated, a real front refrigerator (not a/c blown air), 4-zone climate control (front and rear seats), electrically heated front windscreen, Premium Sound system, radar speed control with dynamic following, speed limit sign recognition, lane keep assist, intelligent emergency braking, heated leather steering wheel, auto vehicle leveling, and driver vehicle height adjust [lowest: called access height, a little higher than a passenger car, normal mode (up 2 inches), high mode (up 2 inches more), rough terrain (up 2 inches more), rock climb (up 2 inches more), and extreme rock climbing (will push one wheel until contact to get four-point balance, up to 2 more inches). Total vehicle high selectable from down 2 inches to up 10 inches. Can traverse up to 35 inches water; air intakes top of front fenders. Four-wheel drive adjusts to sand, snow, grass, highway, ruts, rocks, etc automatically or you can select.

Last edited by SteveVukelich; 12-21-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB C320
Cool Fact, not fiction...

I have owned a 5- and a 7- Series BMW a number of years ago and they were fun to drive and displayed the right "image" back then. However, MB is the number one car to aspire to in my opinion and buying ANYTHING else, is just a shortcut to perfection that we all finally succumb to, again in my opinion. MB has captured the young and the old aspirations very successfully and I shall continue to buy a Mercedes Benz till my last day! Ben, South Africa.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:40 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
Let's be honest -- There's only one S-Class.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:59 PM

2015 S600
I see the basic gist of the story as what can happen to profitability, and by extension, overall quality, if a manufacturer spreads it's self too thin with too many lines like GM and Ford. The point is well taken and should begin to be of concern for Mercedes. While we have not yet seen an impact on quality, I doubt their profitability will be enhanced by some of their new models which seem a bit weak right off the line and certainly not befitting the brand image, i.e. the CLA and GLA. Don't get me wrong, I've tested both and they seem well built even if not as comfy or plushy as other models. It's just that they are getting into levels that are more suited to a multitude of brands and certainly not unique to Mercedes. As pricey as they may be, when I look at an S Class I see it as a bargain compared to "comparable" cars (if you consider Bentley's comparable). When I look at the new lower MB entries I see many frankly superior vehicles on the market in that price range and lower. I believe this detracts from the brand and may eventually take MB back to the bad days of 20+ years ago when the marketers ran the company and created a strong opening for BMW.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:10 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by emnic1
I see the basic gist of the story as what can happen to profitability, and by extension, overall quality, if a manufacturer spreads it's self too thin with too many lines like GM and Ford. The point is well taken and should begin to be of concern for Mercedes. While we have not yet seen an impact on quality, I doubt their profitability will be enhanced by some of their new models which seem a bit weak right off the line and certainly not befitting the brand image, i.e. the CLA and GLA. Don't get me wrong, I've tested both and they seem well built even if not as comfy or plushy as other models. It's just that they are getting into levels that are more suited to a multitude of brands and certainly not unique to Mercedes. As pricey as they may be, when I look at an S Class I see it as a bargain compared to "comparable" cars (if you consider Bentley's comparable). When I look at the new lower MB entries I see many frankly superior vehicles on the market in that price range and lower. I believe this detracts from the brand and may eventually take MB back to the bad days of 20+ years ago when the marketers ran the company and created a strong opening for BMW.
Couldn't agree more and your predictions have already started becoming realized.

JD Powers dropped MB's quality drastically thanks to the horrible quality launches of the CLA/GLA/C Class (not sure about the S but did remember some mention that it had some early hiccups as well).

Consumer Reports also dropped MB quality ranking from #14 in 2013 to #24 last year. Amongst the bottom again. Many premium buyers don't care about those ratings, rightfully so, but MB and BMW are starting to pander to the very buyers who do now.

They cited the CLA as being so bad that it's "Rated 150% worse than the average car". Horribly harsh and unrefined ride, cheap interior, crude, etc. it's never a good thing when bean counters and marketers take control of a brand. The CLA/GLA render themselves overpriced compared to more mass brand products that do the same things (and look much better than in some cases, imo) due to the Mercedes badge. The irony is that they risk dragging down said brand that would now risk the high margin premium presence of the big boy models. Starting with dragging down brand quality perception and results.

Last edited by K-A; 03-06-2015 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,389 Likes on 1,933 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Originally Posted by K-A
Couldn't agree more and your predictions have already started becoming realized.

JD Powers dropped MB's quality drastically thanks to the horrible quality launches of the CLA/GLA/C Class (not sure about the S but did remember some mention that it had some early hiccups as well).

Consumer Reports also dropped MB quality ranking from #14 in 2013 to #24 last year. Amongst the bottom again. Many premium buyers don't care about those ratings, rightfully so, but MB and BMW are starting to pander to the very buyers who do now.

They cited the CLA as being so bad that it's "Rated 150% worse than the average car". Horribly harsh and unrefined ride, cheap interior, crude, etc. it's never a good thing when bean counters and marketers take control of a brand. The CLA/GLA render themselves overpriced compared to more mass brand products that do the same things (and look much better than in some cases, imo) due to the Mercedes badge. The irony is that they risk dragging down said brand that would now risk the high margin premium presence of the big boy models. Starting with dragging down brand quality perception and results.
I completely agree. When the dealer service department is jammed with entry level cars, there you are in your $100K+ S Class, waiting in line behind Smart Cars, hoping that they will have sufficient time to spend on your concerns. But, the sad truth is that in many cases, they WON'T! The service writers are way over stressed. The garages are packed, new technicians are overwhelmed and it isn't going to improve anytime soon. Most MB dealerships were built to handle far fewer sales/models than they are currently handling. In addition, the new models the factory is releasing are, in many cases, not sorted out as well as they should be. The overall luxury car ownership experience has been diluted tremendously and WE, the customers are getting the shaft and it has a three pointed star on the tip. OUCH!
Old 03-06-2015, 10:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
none
Saw this video of a BMW sales guy comparing the X3 to the GLX lol. Also dld it for the S550.

Last edited by MBZSW221; 03-06-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:31 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Streamliner
I completely agree. When the dealer service department is jammed with entry level cars, there you are in your $100K+ S Class, waiting in line behind Smart Cars, hoping that they will have sufficient time to spend on your concerns. But, the sad truth is that in many cases, they WON'T! The service writers are way over stressed. The garages are packed, new technicians are overwhelmed and it isn't going to improve anytime soon. Most MB dealerships were built to handle far fewer sales/models than they are currently handling. In addition, the new models the factory is releasing are, in many cases, not sorted out as well as they should be. The overall luxury car ownership experience has been diluted tremendously and WE, the customers are getting the shaft and it has a three pointed star on the tip. OUCH!
Agreed. It's in the midst of an awkward shift for a lot of these brands.

When I took my BMW in for service, it felt not much different than what you'd expect from your typical mass brand. Even worse, I remember when I went to a BMW dealership when I was doing car shopping, it was a like a circus. Literally, like a circus. Tons of sales staff tending to what seemed like a majority of sweet-16ers, so none other than the cute chick at the front desk had the time to greet me. It felt like a Nissan dealer or something. All they were missing was the popcorn.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:52 AM

Received 66 Likes on 22 Posts
W223 S580, Range Rover Supercharged LWB, Audi A8L, BMW 750i, Porsche 911 Carrera S (997)
Just sold my 2014 750li xdrive 2 weeks ago. The depreciation was massive and the payment was only $60 less than my S550. 7-series do not hold value well at all. You can get a current body 2009 model for under $30k.

The moment the G11 is revealed I'm sure the current F01's will drop even harder.

But for what it's worth- my bmw service experience was always fantastic. They covered everything. They even replaced the steering wheel after just a bit of leather fading near a stitching area. Mercedes service has gotten better (at least in my opinion) despite the service area always packed with entry level models. In any case, I always tip my SA. Usually car is back within a day or two.

Last edited by SB_NYC; 03-06-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:07 PM
Banned

2014 S550
I know its a cliche to say - but no real point to consider the resale value of cars when buying. Don't let that determine your decision because ultimately - its a toy. Unless you're buying a classic car - the value will drop terribly.

It is what it is.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:54 AM

'14 SL550
Underwear depreciates faster than cars.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=Skerdian;635484 In any case, I always tip my SA. Usually car is back within a day or two.[/QUOTE]

Wait a minute. You TIP your service advisor? Am I understanding you correctly? If so, I'm curious, as I have never heard of this before. I pride myself on leaving generous tips at restaurants, the car wash, etc. How much do you tip your SA? Again, just curious.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Wait a minute. You TIP your service advisor? Am I understanding you correctly? If so, I'm curious, as I have never heard of this before. I pride myself on leaving generous tips at restaurants, the car wash, etc. How much do you tip your SA? Again, just curious.
You NEVER heard of this before? I see you are very special type of a person

Of course you should tip your SA, he/she is in the same shoes as the waitress ... serving you.

During my CL600 ownage I tipped $100 every visit.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Originally Posted by Chucky300

It is what it is.
That's what I tell myself every time I look at the mirror
Old 03-07-2015, 10:35 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by MBZSW221
guy loves his pinky finger.......and maybe should record so soon after dinner
Old 03-07-2015, 12:15 PM

E89 Z4
Originally Posted by KG29
Thanks for posting this,maybe my Firefox doesn't work but I only see 1 car the 7 series.

I have next "Hot cars" and interesting topics. Scrolling to the bottom it's just sponsor ad's
You need to enter that idot website from the front, otherwise the links to go forward don't work. This should do it:
http://www2.forbes.com/autos/15-new-cars-to-avoid/
Old 03-07-2015, 12:20 PM

E89 Z4
Originally Posted by steveb9771
BMW’s flagship sedan seems to have lost its edge in recent years. It’s wrapped in languid styling and just doesn’t feel as sporty as it did in earlier renditions; an odd product lineup includes an expensive and not especially efficient gas-electric hybrid model. Consumer Reports takes the 7 Series to task for being “a ponderous, technology-laden vehicle with ungainly handling,” and is included in the publication’s lists of lowest-scoring cars, worst overall values and most expensive operating costs in its class. Not to pile on, but it also gets a rock-bottom resale value rating from ALG and a below average performance score from J.D. Power.

BMW 7 series is the ONLY German car on the list of 15 new cars to avoid

See http://www3.forbes.com/business/15-n...s-to-avoid/16/
I think that is a bit unfair in several ways:
  • The W222 is much newer, the F01 was the first F type BMW and the model stone aged by now
  • A F01 will actually drive and steer nicer than a F10 5-series if it has the dynamic handling package with active roll stabilization. ARS is really what you need in any of those, otherwise they are just boats on a pool table
  • The first half of F01 production had the V8s with the piezo type injectors. The facelift switched to nonpiezos. The old engines, N63 befoe "n63tu" are now being pseudo-recalled and have massive parts changes for free, even out of warranty. Whether the new "revision 11" piezo-type injectors are actually better or not remains to be seen. But Mercedes also uses piezos, so there is hope that Bosch got their act together. In any case, an event like that has a catastrophic impact on resell value, but maybe the recall helps a bit
Old 03-07-2015, 12:41 PM

none
Originally Posted by hyperion667
guy loves his pinky finger.......and maybe should record so soon after dinner
GLX?? Maybe he should do some better research before comparing a X3 to car that doesn't exist.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Red Marko
You NEVER heard of this before? I see you are very special type of a person

Of course you should tip your SA, he/she is in the same shoes as the waitress ... serving you.

During my CL600 ownage I tipped $100 every visit.
Well, out here on the west coast, I have never heard of this before, never seen anyone else doing it, etc. In fact, I have an idea that such a practice would be highly frowned upon by local dealers, not to mention MBUSA. This sounds like a new poll question. I think I'll start one.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:18 AM

S550
I have had two 7 series, a 2009 750li, then a 2011 750i. After having the long wheel base model for a while....it really bugged me. I would see a regular wheel base model and be envious as I thought the lines on the short wheel base car were better. So, when i had my 750li in for service there was a dealer demo in the showroom, short wheel base, nicely loaded with options, and drastically reduced price due to it being a demo. So...thats that. I bought a 2013 650i Gran Coupe and after two years in that I missed the room of a large car and I'm 6'2" and just felt cramped.

So, I was back in the market for a full size 4 door sedan. Thats all I drive. The 7 was out, was not going to go back to that well for a third time. I considered the Audi, but after driving the s550, I did't need to drive anything else. This was the car for me.

I picked it up Monday and it had 10 miles on it when I drove it of the lot. I ordered in in December, and it took 101 days from time I ordered to get to dealer. I've put almost 400 miles on it since Monday.

So, I've had both and I can say that the s550 blows the beemer away. No comparison. And, I'm trying not to let that giddy feeling of having a new car effect my opinion. This is coming from a guy who swore he'd never drive anything other than a BMW.

So, thoughts on the S550, and those of you thinking about buying one. Night vision option is really cool and more importantly then being cool, it actually is really useful on country roads with little traffic.

I bought the Bremester High End 3D...fantastic.

I love that the cruise control is on a stalk. I had a BMW 5 series with cruise on stalk, then the last three BMWs put it on steering wheel. So the stalk is so easier to use and makes room on steering wheel for somethings that are more suited to being there. I like that I can turn the car off with one push of button, as opposed to having to push it twice. Sounds like nitpicking but you end up having to push it more than twice....either because you did it to fast or door was open or all other manner of BS from a idea that was not well executed.

The Distronic Adaptive Cruise control is really great and works exactly as advertised. I was in heavy beltway traffic last night, cruise set on 75 and I did not have to touch breaks, or gas, at all. I've heard others describe it as braking to late and consequently braking hard. That has not been my experience at all. Very smooth functioning.

The function that keeps you in your lane and actually steers the car. Great! And, how safe is that. Start drifting in another lane and you get a couple bumps on steering wheel. Really get out of your lane and it brakes on that side and steers you back in your lane.

I did by the fridge, takes up a lot of room in the trunk. I do take long road trips and it will come in handy for that. And, besides....great conversation starter. People ask "You have a what!?" I did not get any other rear seat options, but got Warmth and Comfort package which give you power rear seats with memory and ventilated too.

Speaking of warmth and comfort, the door arm rest heat, center console heats, its of surfaces you touch heat and how useful is that. And, very fast. I turn it on full and like 2 minutes later I have to turn it down to low, than 5 minutes after that I have to turn it off.

Finally, in comparison to the BMW's I've had, the eco start/stop feature. I think Mercedes got it right. The BMW 650i I had...that feature was right in your face and it should be in the background so you hardly notice it. That's what Mercedes accomplished, now if you look for it you notice it. But, if your not hyper focused on it its done behind the scenes so to speak and does not interfere with your driving enjoyment.

I'll post picks when the weather clears, we've had snow all week in DC metro area and car is dirty. Finally, a friend of mine picked up a 2014 750i and it had many options that were not available during the MY I had 7 series cars. So, they are playing catch up....but thats the thing...they are playing catch up...not a good position to be in running a business.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Forbes magazine-- Avoid BMW 7 series