Forbes magazine-- Avoid BMW 7 series

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 07:46 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Agree to disagree. I just see it somewhat differently though agree with several points.

I'm recommending the C (so far, but the caveat is that it would have to be a 2016 model or very late 2015 build if they prove to sort the issues out) because that car I think is the only car in that segment that she'd like. She's a long time Mercedes fan and prefers something easy to commute, luxurious and mature (i.e I just know the 3 just won't be her thing, though she's had all the previous 5 Series' before the F10). I'm kind of hit or miss with the new C on a personal level, and would only get a German car built in Germany unless it's a "who cares" second runabout car (that just matters to me if I'm spending premium segment dollars) but think it's a solid car for the segment, and offers a level of interior above said segment. I just want to see if it's proven that they aren't design issues but just glitch issues. Things like the common wind noise issues are disconcerting as it's common enough to dignify an inherent flaw yet hard to troubleshoot or fix.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E89 Z4
I think the CLA is even more of a disaster than we said so far in this thread when you consider the alternatives.

The F30 3-series is relatively easy to beat with a new C class since BMW screws up the steering on most of them, the interior sucks etc.

However, BMW makes a properly driving smaller brother, the 2-series, which is just a great car and usually rated higher than the F30 by those who fit. The A3 is also a hit, although people are disappointed about the non-Audi AWD.

The CLA is a very questionable vehicle compared to them.

It will take for BMW to release that FWD 2-series hatchback or whatever that abomination s.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
For what its worth i agree with what a lot of what K-A says, not all but a lot of it. Thing is these lower end models increase volume, and profits and thats the name of the game.

I picked up my S550 2 weeks ago and I've never been happier with a car than this one. But, to be honest, it's probably the only Mercedes I would buy. Some of the SUVs look cool and I could see myself buying one of those, but the lower end cars.....no way.

Regarding BMW's (itn't that name of this thread anyway) I think a 3 series is made just as well as a 5 Series quality wise

Wha really confuses me is recognizing Mercedes on the street, I have to be right up on it to know what it is. With Beemers, I could pretty well identify from long distances and any angle, And, I still have not deciphered the naming system of Mercedes, forget trying to tell you what that Mercedes is 15 cars ahead on the beltway

So, that' the way I see it nothing beats a German car in my book. BMW's kick *** on the lower end of spectrum and higher end car too, although really need facelift on the 7. Higher end car that I think they do well on is the 650 convertible, coup, gran coupe with Xdrive Mercedes comes out on top of on top of the higher end. Audi, don't knows enough to comment. With the exception a couple of models I like for the most part I just don't like the look, therefore I've never driven one.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
OH, forgot. I think K-A suggested Mercedes buy a company and keep all high end cars at Mercedes and over a umber of years move the lower end cars to the company they would buy. They did that....remember the Chrysler fiasco. They bought it in 1998 and then actually paid money to the buyer to sell it in 1997. Now I get it a lot of strange things were happening in the financial system in those years.....but still, they owned that company for 10 years and had 10 years to do some kind if strategy.

Now the new owners of Chrysler are really selling Jeeps and making jeeps that look god, took them 3 to 4 years to turn things around. They brought out some cars SUVs that were leaps and bounds bettee (comparing Mercedes ownerships jeeps to post ownership, not comparing Jeeps to Mercedes SUV's) than when Mercedes was running things and Mercedes had 10 years to do it.

Having said all that....any company that makes a PT Cruiser.....is eliminated from me every seriously considerg a car by that company. Really, PT Cruiser drivers.....what are you thinking?? Such and ugly car, ugliest car currently produced in my book.....anyone else have a nomination for ugliest car built today.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by K-A
Agree to disagree. I just see it somewhat differently though agree with several points.

I'm recommending the C (so far, but the caveat is that it would have to be a 2016 model or very late 2015 build if they prove to sort the issues out) because that car I think is the only car in that segment that she'd like. She's a long time Mercedes fan and prefers something easy to commute, luxurious and mature (i.e I just know the 3 just won't be her thing, though she's had all the previous 5 Series' before the F10). I'm kind of hit or miss with the new C on a personal level, and would only get a German car built in Germany unless it's a "who cares" second runabout car (that just matters to me if I'm spending premium segment dollars) but think it's a solid car for the segment, and offers a level of interior above said segment. I just want to see if it's proven that they aren't design issues but just glitch issues. Things like the common wind noise issues are disconcerting as it's common enough to dignify an inherent flaw yet hard to troubleshoot or fix.
Yeah some of the problems are basic things, which I don't get being that is is Mercedes. Bubbling windshields, door rattles, peeling mb tex seats. They're rushing and missing the quality now, I agree with that fully because these are not engineering things. These are basic things that are causing their scores to go down. Now with the CLA it is more engineering, the car is simply cheap as hell. Hence the upcoming wholesale changes.

M