S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

S550 2015 - Need advice Fast!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 11:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 S63 4-Matic
S550 2015 - Need advice Fast!

I am trading in my 2010 911 Turbo. It was maxed out with a Canadian $205K build, cocoa leather, ceramic brakes, almost every option. I bought it in 2011, and now I need a Family car.

I was considering the new Macan, then looked at a Turbo Cayenne, but I have always wanted an S Class.

I was thinking that S class depreciates very quickly, and actually it seems like they do. I was thinking I would be satisfied with a 2011 S450 or S550 for around $58K, but then I decided to check out the 2015 S-Class and I just fell in love.

There are so many cool features, and with all the police speed trap enforcement locally here I am thinking that switching to the S class will give me some relaxation and peace blending into the flow and enjoying the luxury.

OK - so that's some background.

I would never intentionally buy a "black" car, but it seems almost every S Class in Canada has been configured with black paint - so I have to give in on this.

I have a car lined up with Night Vision, HUD, Winter Warm package, and "Odorama" In Canada it seems the "Premium package" includes split view, massage seats.

CAD price is $129K before taxes - it seems to be a fair price.

This is for a 2015 from another dealer in stock, and my dealer will bring it in for me. It's Obsidian Black. I would prefer any other colour than black.... But whatever. There is a 2014 silver one in Vancouver, for $10K less and 12K mileage, but it is missing the "smellovision" feature.

I'll be bringing it in sight unseen, and I don't want to have regrets.

S550W4M - S550 4MATIC Sedan
MPP - Premium Package
IDP - Intelligent Drive Package
AMG - AMG Sport Package
MET - Metallic Paint
731 - Burl Walnut Wood Trim
463 - Head-up Display
610 - Night View Assist
867 - Splitview
P21 - Air Balance Package
U25 - Illuminated Door Sill Panels
TOTAL MSRP
SALE PRICE
DEALER OPTIONS AND CHARGES
Door Edge Guard
Freight, PDI, Block Heater

QUESTIONS:

1. I have driven the long wheelbase, but am thinking the Short Wheelbase will be better. What do you think about my choice to go for SWB? Good move?

I have a teenager and a new baby on the way! I do not like minivans, and not really loving SUV's either. I want the S-Class. Is the SWB going to work? I mean I was willing to go with a Macan, still better than my old 911 Turbo for back seat room!

2. Leather seems to be "Beige" - in my mind this is better than "Black" It is "Silk Beige/Expresso" - is this going to be nice? I like something bright and cheerful, and black on black seems too boring.

3. I really wanted night vision, but have not yet tried it. I am a gadget freak, so I am really interested in all the great safety features of the S-class. Is this option good? How about HUD? I want it also - is it good and worthwhile?

4. What about the fridge? Can you add it later? Should I push the dealer to throw it in? Comfort box was also a consideration, but I haven't actually seen it.

5. Rims - do many of you guys put winter rims on the car? how much? Anyone driving with Hakkapeliitta 7's for winter? I think I want to do that, but the car is configured with "run-flats".

6. Any options that I will regret not having (besides AMG haha).

Sorry I haven't done much research - this is going to be a quick transaction, I just don't have the time, but I'd just like to get the opinions of you guys who own this model vehicle. I will be needing to act quickly I think - I just want to trade cars and continue with life if possible. If I overthink it, I'll be wasting valuable time.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

This is my first post.

Last edited by Buddyk; 12-05-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 201 Posts
2022 EQS580
As you do, I also love all the high tech/safety features. It looks to me as if you are getting a car with all the high tech features except for the MBC (Magic Body Control). However, living at a place which has snow and ice in the winter, 4Matic is much more important than getting MBC. I live in Iowa and 4Matic was a must for me. I don't plan on messing around with snow tires in the winter either. In my drives so far in some snowy and icy road conditions, the car has terrific control compared to what I was use to on my previous car (LS460L with RWD).
Old 12-06-2014, 01:34 AM

2018 S63 4-Matic
As I understand it, Canadian cars have different configuration packages.

The salesman is a bit vague, and I don't think he is really an expert on the S-class - but I'm going to ask for a "breakdown" listing of all the features. I am wondering if magic body control is part of the AMG sports package. The long wheelbase version I drove had it for sure, (EDIT - actually it did not, but the vehicle tracking on the wet icy cloverleaf very nicely and I was feeling the side bolster automatically adjusting seats! I now have done some reading and understand what Magic Body Control is - and it's not available on 4-matic vehicles and all Canadian S-Class vehicles are 4-matic in 2015 apparently), and the car locked in very nicely on a cloverleaf, but this car for me is really about the safety, comfort, luxury and prestige more than the performance.

I'm getting excited, I hope the deal will go through, but the dealer is low balling me on the trade in. I think I'll ask for a baby seat, roof rack and maybe that comfort box or a cargo management system at closing and/or negotiate a bit harder.

I did read a lot of the other threads here and it helped to answer some of my questions. I think the leather colour will be good. If I was configuring, I'd go for something really wild, but I am pleased that this vehicle has the higher grade nappa leather, and it's lighter colour, so that should please me enough. I'm on a time limit, so I need to get an alternate car - the 911 just rides too hard and doesn't have the space we need, and I am pretty much a one car person.

High End Burmester is the only thing I'll probably be wishing for, but maybe in a couple years I'll trade in again and might actually configure a new car.

This is actually the first new car I have ever purchased!

Last edited by Buddyk; 12-11-2014 at 10:45 AM. Reason: corrected what I said about Magic Body Control - learned what it really is haha.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
You can add the fridge (308) if the car has the ski bag option 282 ("through loading door", no folding rear seats for the S-class).

PS. I have Hakkapeliitta 8 winter tyres although they currently do not have the exact correct size of the "8" for a W222.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by Buddyk
I am wondering if magic body control is part of the AMG sports package. The long wheelbase version I drove had it for sure, and the car locked in very nicely on a cloverleaf, but this car for me is really about the safety, comfort, luxury and prestige more than the performance.
The MBC has nothing to do with the AMG sports package. Frankly, after reading the Mercedes Benz Canada brochure, website and tech center, I am not sure MBC is even offered in Canada.

All of the cars, except the S65 appear to be 4Matic which can't have MBC and on the S65, I can't even find the MBC specification on the website, brochure or tech center.

Also, SPLITVIEW is a separate option and not included in the Premium package. I have HUD and I really like it. A nice option.

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 12-06-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:08 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
few months after I had my S I got the tax value, and it was close to 20K lower than the selling price.....

I also traded a 911 TT (07) towards my S class: I WISH I NEVER DID IT!!!!!!! I love the S boat but I realize now I loved the TT even more......also had an E550 at the time that I also traded towards the S.......that car ended having a lot of issue's after I traded it so I was glad.......but the TT!!! the speed, the power, the style, the wheels(HRE).....it was a mistake and I am hoping to get my hands on another one in the near future

your build looks nice, I have the same interior color scheme of silk/beige expresso and it's really nice......kind of wish I would have gotten the blue I also skipped the air freshening pack because I didn't want to drown the special scent of leather as I love that smell

Old 12-08-2014, 03:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am trading in my 2010 911 Turbo. It was maxed out with a Canadian $205K build, cocoa leather, ceramic brakes, almost every option. I bought it in 2011, and now I need a Family car.

I was considering the new Macan, then looked at a Turbo Cayenne, but I have always wanted an S Class.

I was thinking that S class depreciates very quickly, and actually it seems like they do. I was thinking I would be satisfied with a 2011 S450 or S550 for around $58K, but then I decided to check out the 2015 S-Class and I just fell in love.

There are so many cool features, and with all the police speed trap enforcement locally here I am thinking that switching to the S class will give me some relaxation and peace blending into the flow and enjoying the luxury.

OK - so that's some background.

I would never intentionally buy a "black" car, but it seems almost every S Class in Canada has been configured with black paint - so I have to give in on this.

I have a car lined up with Night Vision, HUD, Winter Warm package, and "Odorama" In Canada it seems the "Premium package" includes split view, massage seats.

CAD price is $129K before taxes - it seems to be a fair price.

This is for a 2015 from another dealer in stock, and my dealer will bring it in for me. It's Obsidian Black. I would prefer any other colour than black.... But whatever. There is a 2014 silver one in Vancouver, for $10K less and 12K mileage, but it is missing the "smellovision" feature.

I'll be bringing it in sight unseen, and I don't want to have regrets.

S550W4M - S550 4MATIC Sedan
MPP - Premium Package
IDP - Intelligent Drive Package
AMG - AMG Sport Package
MET - Metallic Paint
731 - Burl Walnut Wood Trim
463 - Head-up Display
610 - Night View Assist
867 - Splitview
P21 - Air Balance Package
U25 - Illuminated Door Sill Panels
TOTAL MSRP
SALE PRICE
DEALER OPTIONS AND CHARGES
Door Edge Guard
Freight, PDI, Block Heater

QUESTIONS:

1. I have driven the long wheelbase, but am thinking the Short Wheelbase will be better. What do you think about my choice to go for SWB? Good move?

I think with the new child on the way and the teenager the long wheelbase would be better as they would have more room. It would also be easier to deal with the car seat with the extra room.

I have a teenager and a new baby on the way! I do not like minivans, and not really loving SUV's either. I want the S-Class. Is the SWB going to work? I mean I was willing to go with a Macan, still better than my old 911 Turbo for back seat room!

2. Leather seems to be "Beige" - in my mind this is better than "Black" It is "Silk Beige/Expresso" - is this going to be nice? I like something bright and cheerful, and black on black seems too boring.

Silk Beige/Expresso is very nice. With white you see more dirt but with black you see more dust (even on the interior) so take your pick. This is just personal choice.

3. I really wanted night vision, but have not yet tried it. I am a gadget freak, so I am really interested in all the great safety features of the S-class. Is this option good? How about HUD? I want it also - is it good and worthwhile?

The night vision is only IMO really good if you are on a street or interstate highway with "NO" street lights. If you have street lights above you its not that important IMO. The HUD is 100% worth it. Its one of the best huds I have seen as its very clear (great image quality) and keeps my eyes on the road. What's also really nice is you can adjust the position of it unlike most cars with huds to make it better for you (more easy to see)

4. What about the fridge? Can you add it later? Should I push the dealer to throw it in? Comfort box was also a consideration, but I haven't actually seen it.

You can't have both the fridge and the comfort box. You can always quickly remove the fridge if you need more room. I tend to only find this usefull if you have people in the back. As you may say to yourself oh, I'll use it. Ill just put my drink in the back of the car and get it later. (in reality you never do this) but if you have someone in the back seats you can just hand your drink to and ask for it when you need it. Then all is good. But if 50% or more of the time its just you (or two people in front) then I think its a waste.

5. Rims - do many of you guys put winter rims on the car? how much? Anyone driving with Hakkapeliitta 7's for winter? I think I want to do that, but the car is configured with "run-flats".

With 4matic you should be fine even with stock tires. If you are not buy the Hakkapeliitta 8.

6. Any options that I will regret not having (besides AMG haha).

You are in the cold so I would say you would regret not getting the cold weather package and the electronically heated windshield. Also if your co-passenger is not going to want to watch movies much I would skip split view. Split view halves the resolution of the map screen (this means worst picture quality for the driver)

Sorry I haven't done much research - this is going to be a quick transaction, I just don't have the time, but I'd just like to get the opinions of you guys who own this model vehicle. I will be needing to act quickly I think - I just want to trade cars and continue with life if possible. If I overthink it, I'll be wasting valuable time.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

This is my first post.
Replies above. Hopefully this was a helpful. I'm sure there is spelling errors as I have been up for about 24 hours so don't hate me haha

Last edited by icebeam; 12-08-2014 at 03:49 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:25 AM

2018 S63 4-Matic
Thanks very much for the replies!

I'm hoping the dealer comes through with more info for me. It's strange. I think Canadian dealers go off of a different computer VIN lookup thing, and it might be wrong. For instance it seemed to show a Harmon Kardon stereo on this 2015 S550? So I don't know what to rely on until I see a decent configuration document and some pictures.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:07 PM

Thanks very much for the replies!

I'm hoping the dealer comes through with more info for me. It's strange. I think Canadian dealers go off of a different computer VIN lookup thing, and it might be wrong. For instance it seemed to show a Harmon Kardon stereo on this 2015 S550? So I don't know what to rely on until I see a decent configuration document and some pictures.
If you give me any VIN I can tell you what it left the factory with. Have access to MB system.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:22 PM

2018 S63 4-Matic
Originally Posted by icebeam
If you give me any VIN I can tell you what it left the factory with. Have access to MB system.
Yes, I'd like to know more about the leather in the car and the radio. For some reason it came up as Harmon Kardon which seemed strange.

Sales guy is nice but probably has not been working with Merc for very long and doesn't quite act like the good Porsche guys I am used to dealing with, who know every detail of the vehicle. I am learning more through my own research - so that has been one new relationship that I'm not necessarily satisfied with. But I'm just buying a car haha.

I am wondering if it does have heated windscreen (don't think it does).

I am wondering what the leather looks like - is it nappa or exclusive or just regular? On one sheet the dealer sent it said it was silk beige/expresso, and on another it said "beige"

If it looks as good as that photo a few messages back, I'll be VERY pleased - that car is gorgeous!

Again - I think the Canadian dealer computer is having some problem with it, or there may be something odd.

PM sent with my VIN - wasn't sure if I should publicly post the VIN or not.

Thanks!

I think I will try to go ahead with a deal - I want the dealer to throw in some extras, and they so far said they will give me $1000 credit towards accessories, which might help a bit - I need a roof rack and some way to carry cross country skis.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:41 PM

Yes, I'd like to know more about the leather in the car and the radio. For some reason it came up as Harmon Kardon which seemed strange.

Sales guy is nice but probably has not been working with Merc for very long and doesn't quite act like the good Porsche guys I am used to dealing with, who know every detail of the vehicle. I am learning more through my own research - so that has been one new relationship that I'm not necessarily satisfied with. But I'm just buying a car haha.

I am wondering if it does have heated windscreen (don't think it does).

I am wondering what the leather looks like - is it nappa or exclusive or just regular? On one sheet the dealer sent it said it was silk beige/expresso, and on another it said "beige"

If it looks as good as that photo a few messages back, I'll be VERY pleased - that car is gorgeous!

Again - I think the Canadian dealer computer is having some problem with it, or there may be something odd.

PM sent with my VIN - wasn't sure if I should publicly post the VIN or not.

Thanks!

I think I will try to go ahead with a deal - I want the dealer to throw in some extras, and they so far said they will give me $1000 credit towards accessories, which might help a bit - I need a roof rack and some way to carry cross country skis.
PM sent back. Check edmunds and blue book for a fair trade value.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:35 AM

2018 S63 4-Matic
I did the deal and now am waiting for delivery!

I was calm and cold when making the deal, but now that the deposit is made and the papers signed, it's sinking in, and I'm getting giddy! How Fun!

I was checking out that multi-page thread of that guy who GPS'd his car across the Atlantic and through the Panama canal, and was laughing a bit at that one, but now I feel like that haha.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:11 AM

I was calm and cold when making the deal, but now that the deposit is made and the papers signed, it's sinking in, and I'm getting giddy! How Fun!

I was checking out that multi-page thread of that guy who GPS'd his car across the Atlantic and through the Panama canal, and was laughing a bit at that one, but now I feel like that haha.
Every day you wait will make it just that much more sweet when you get it.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:21 AM

2018 S63 4-Matic
Every day you wait will make it just that much more sweet when you get it.
Thanks. I am reading that this car can practically drive itself through a traffic jam - very cool. So many cool features it's like a new hobby for me all of the sudden. Bright LED headlamps, night vision - oh boy oh boy!

I am lining up Hakka 8 studded winter tires 245/45 R19 102 T from Kaltire.

I hope these tires fit the twin 5 spoke AMG rims - gonna phone the dealer to see exactly what the runflat stock continentals are.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Congrats. I am glad you were able to complete your purchase. Don't forget, lots of good pictures.

Who was "that guy"
Old 12-11-2014, 11:37 AM

2018 S63 4-Matic
Originally Posted by LovinMercedes
Congrats. I am glad you were able to complete your purchase. Don't forget, lots of good pictures.

Who was "that guy"

Aha! It's you right?

I'll post some photo's.

These forums are great places to get info on our cars.

And I think your leather is great. I have (had boohoo), cocoa special natural leather in my 2010 Turbo that is going to be gone in a week, and it smells so good even after all these years, and it's very easy to get used to.

If you have special natural leather, I do believe that leatherique is a great product for keeping the natural leather awesome. I don't think I am getting the exclusive special natural leather - mine will be "nappa" leather - so I have to go and research what is best for that stuff. I'm sure I'll be satisfied with whatever I get.

With leather care it's hard to find the facts. The concourse forum on forums.rennlist.org were very knowledgable. I wonder if some of those guys are on this forum?
Old 12-30-2014, 12:43 AM

2018 S63 4-Matic
OK - Tomorrow is the day!

The trucking firm said they will drop off the car on Tuesday.

I am wondering if it will come with white plastic protective wrapping on the vehicle.

The dealer normally sends the new vehicles to a detailer to remove the wrapping and have their employees add lots of swirls and marring to the virgin paint clear coat but I told them I want to see the vehicle as it arrives and I would probably be able to handle the exterior personally. (It seems strange to me, but the extent of the detailing services available in my small city amounts to a wash and shine and interior cleaning and nobody charges more than $120.00 for any "detailing" services. If you ask for polishing, they don't know what you are asking for. If you tell them you want to pay $400 or $500 they still don't understand what you are asking for - strange but true).

Am I doing the right thing by doing this? What do you guys think? Just leave it to the dealer and enjoy the good service, or am I better off to handle it myself?

I do have a fair bit of experience with my random orbital (flex) polisher, and I think I do understand the principles of polish and top coats - but this is a brand new vehicle, and I don't even know if it will need anything other than a wax or opti-seal wipe down until I get some time to do a full coating with something like C-Quartz or whatever Optimum Pro coating.

I'll check the concourse forum about new vehicle exterior best practices, but was wondering what you guys would do? I just want to be cautious because I have heard so many nightmares about dealer detailers messing up a perfectly good finish (that could take me 4+ hours to restore)

I'll post pictures.

(I searched and found the plastic protective wrapping might be called "Cosmoline"

Last edited by Buddyk; 12-30-2014 at 01:03 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:50 AM

OK - Tomorrow is the day!

The trucking firm said they will drop off the car on Tuesday.

I am wondering if it will come with white plastic protective wrapping on the vehicle.

The dealer normally sends the new vehicles to a detailer to remove the wrapping and have their employees add lots of swirls and marring to the virgin paint clear coat but I told them I want to see the vehicle as it arrives and I would probably be able to handle the exterior personally. (It seems strange to me, but the extent of the detailing services available in my small city amounts to a wash and shine and interior cleaning and nobody charges more than $120.00 for any "detailing" services. If you ask for polishing, they don't know what you are asking for. If you tell them you want to pay $400 or $500 they still don't understand what you are asking for - strange but true).

Am I doing the right thing by doing this? What do you guys think? Just leave it to the dealer and enjoy the good service, or am I better off to handle it myself?

I do have a fair bit of experience with my random orbital (flex) polisher, and I think I do understand the principles of polish and top coats - but this is a brand new vehicle, and I don't even know if it will need anything other than a wax or opti-seal wipe down until I get some time to do a full coating with something like C-Quartz or whatever Optimum Pro coating.

I'll check the concourse forum about new vehicle exterior best practices, but was wondering what you guys would do? I just want to be cautious because I have heard so many nightmares about dealer detailers messing up a perfectly good finish (that could take me 4+ hours to restore)

I'll post pictures.

(I searched and found the plastic protective wrapping might be called "Cosmoline"
Does the dealer charge for this? if its free just wait another day

Edit: and you can still see your car when it gets in before anything is done.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:53 PM

2018 S63 4-Matic
No charge, and yes, the dealer can do another day.

The exterior is coated with fallout and looks terrible, but I can see through the dirt and am not too concerned.

I want to play with the new toy, so I will clean it myself.

The dealer would normally make it nice and shiny, but I was insisting on taking the vehicle myself, so I hope people don't interpret this as any disrespect to the dealer. This is how the vehicle came to them.

It has some plastic strips on the metal trim, but no cosmoline. No idea why it had no plastic sheets coating, and it's all OK - I will take possession of the vehicle in a few hours and head to a spray and wash place and rinse it off and see what I am dealing with.

More pictures later for those who are interested.
Attached Thumbnails S550 2015 - Need advice Fast!-img_0100.jpg   S550 2015 - Need advice Fast!-img_0098.jpg   S550 2015 - Need advice Fast!-img_0094.jpg   S550 2015 - Need advice Fast!-img_0103.jpg   S550 2015 - Need advice Fast!-img_0099.jpg  

S550 2015 - Need advice Fast!-img_0096.jpg  

Last edited by Buddyk; 12-30-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 S550, 2011 E350 Cabriolet, Asgard Mothership
Sounds like you have some detailing experience. How about you wash it or have a detailer come out and do it. I guess if you spray it and avoid the brush, it is good to get you started. I have zero blemishes in my paint but that is because it has NEVER been in a machine. Even after Euro Delivery it was not in the machine. Either I wash it or the detailer who comes once a month. It's a nice color and better to keep it .

I do have the opt-coat on it and it saved me after the local dealer accidentally washed it once by hand. They must have used a brillo pad as it was scratched so bad. Fortunately, they paid the $1000 to have th detail spend 2 days with it polishing it and reapplying the OptiCoat.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Congrats. Looks great. You will love your new car.

What is the exterior color?
Old 12-30-2014, 05:20 PM

No charge, and yes, the dealer can do another day.

The exterior is coated with fallout and looks terrible, but I can see through the dirt and am not too concerned.

I want to play with the new toy, so I will clean it myself.

The dealer would normally make it nice and shiny, but I was insisting on taking the vehicle myself, so I hope people don't interpret this as any disrespect to the dealer. This is how the vehicle came to them.

It has some plastic strips on the metal trim, but no cosmoline. No idea why it had no plastic sheets coating, and it's all OK - I will take possession of the vehicle in a few hours and head to a spray and wash place and rinse it off and see what I am dealing with.

More pictures later for those who are interested.
Some thoughts.

1. We love pictures.. More please
2. I can't believe how dirty a car is once it gets here. Must be a lot of dust on the ships as they come off the line very clean.
3. Why does the SLS AMG next to your car have a gray hood but the color of the car is red?
Old 12-30-2014, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Some thoughts.

1. We love pictures.. More please
2. I can't believe how dirty a car is once it gets here. Must be a lot of dust on the ships as they come off the line very clean.
3. Why does the SLS AMG next to your car have a gray hood but the color of the car is red?
My car was not that dirty, at all. I guess it just depends upon what happens when the car is exposed.

I believe the hood of the SLS is carbon fiber.

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 12-30-2014 at 05:33 PM.