S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

S400 Road Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 S400
Thumbs down S400 Road Noise

I just got an S400, in Tokyo, and the noise from the road is driving my crazy. I traded in my XJ for this which has to be the worst decision in a while. As soon as the road is slightly uneven the noise is terrible and even the car floor vibrates.
Is anyone else experiencing this and is there something that can be done. The dealer says "its normal".
And 2 days after I got it one of the camera`s failed
Old 12-07-2014, 10:59 PM

2014 S400
Just for interest I put a noise level meter in the car. At rest the level was 57dB, and beverage on my commute to work was 80dB. Thats more than 20dB of noise.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S550
What tires do you have? Are they runflats? The runflats are noisy from my experience. And they ride harsh. My 550 has runflats now and I am living with them. But would like another option. Unfortunately MB does not offer a spare with these in the States anyway.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:50 AM

2014 S400
Yes they are run flats. They don't supply a spare in Japan either but I am not prepared to live with this noise. 80dB is not easy on the ears every day.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:28 PM

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
I'd suggest you check the calibration of your sound meter or take the car into the dealer. Are you measuring A-weighted or C-weighted?

Multiple reviews and tests of the current S550 are showing ~36dB(A) at idle, 67db(A) at full-throttle, 60dB(A) at cruising speed.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:55 PM

S 550
Originally Posted by BeachBunny
I'd suggest you check the calibration of your sound meter or take the car into the dealer. Are you measuring A-weighted or C-weighted?

Multiple reviews and tests of the current S550 are showing ~36dB(A) at idle, 67db(A) at full-throttle, 60dB(A) at cruising speed.
^^^ I agree

Also, where in the cabin are you measuring? Is this using a calibrated tool? Or just an iPhone app? IPhone apps can be an easy 10dB off true numbers.

On our 2014 with 20" wheels the only way I could get close to the numbers you measured is using an incorrectly calibrated iPhone app AND having the windows open.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:15 PM

S550
I think the point of where the measurement is taken and with what tool is irrelevant. If the noise/harshness is objectionable to the owner, then it is a problem.

You should compare to another S400 at the dealer and see if the noise is the same. You state that the vibration can be felt in the floor pan, which is really bad if that is the case. So the question is - does it match up with another comparable S class sedan at your dealer on the same roads or not? If it is not comparable and another S is quieter, then the issue is specific to your car.

However, if the comparative vehicle is also noisy, then it is likely the run flat tires which can be harsh. It is up to you, but you might want to try a different tire on the car and install one of the spare tire kits now available, or go with conventional tires and an inflator kit.

My S is a little noisy on certain roads, and I know it is related to the run flats, but for me, it is not objectionable to the point of needing a change.

Run flats tend to make a lot of noise on concrete pavement as all tires do. They are less harsh on asphalt.
The following users liked this post:
Quietride (04-21-2023)
Old 12-08-2014, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 349 Likes on 216 Posts
S560
My car is exceptionally quiet- so much that's it's uncanny sometimes. I'd go to the dealer...
Old 12-08-2014, 10:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,503 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Run flats are loud... Trial new tires of you hit a dead end and buy a spare to throw in the trunk
Old 12-09-2014, 02:37 AM

2014 S400
Thanks. This is my second S400. I sent the first back after 3 days because of the noise. I Japan they have 3 versions of S400 which is totally confusing but anyway I now have what they call the top of the line. Strangely it has massage and 360deg camera but the heated steering wheel is an optional accessory (probably a committee decision lol) Anyway the noise on the second one is just as bad. On the first one I only used my ears as the noise much worse than my XJ. This time I used an app on my iPhone which I put on the dashboard. Maybe the calibration is off but I do know that the difference between standing and running is at east 20dBs which is a lot. Anyway in exasperation I am sending it back and having them change to standard tires. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate everyone`s input and I will try to make a video on the way home tonight.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML63
We would like to see the video, although it is not going to be possible to re-translate the vibration reported. Have you tried taking your car outside the city perimeter? I have been to Japan a few times (absolutely love this country!), and noticed that your roads around Tokyo are generally very well maintained. What if you are dealing with a specific condition of a specific road, and the car is not guilty at all?

A bit unrelated to the S-class, I have experienced the undesired vibration on my other car. After a few experiments, I was able to reliably determine that it was due to the following main reasons: underinflated tires coupled with asphalt's texture. I was just about to bring the car for inspection and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTF conversation at the dealership, but decided to proceed with a simple and naïve operation called "tire inflation". It did help a lot, and removed the vibration almost entirely.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:27 PM

2014 S400
I happened to se this on another thread. Pretty much sums up MB attitude on "customers satisfaction". Whats next "wooden wheels"

RUN FLAT TIRES--MB ADVISORS SURVEY
I am a member of the factory sponsored "Mercedes-Benz Advisors" online group and they have a current survey in progress, regarding customer opinions on run flat tires. The results are pretty much what we would have thought them to be: Probably a solid 95% to 98% of those responding dislike or absolutely HATE run flats. The far and away preference is for conventional, high performance tires with a FULL SIZE SPARE in the trunk. Some drivers, women in particular, like the idea of run flats, but when you talk about being out of town, away from the big city and encountering a severe road hazard that DESTROYS the tire, we all know how COMFORTING it is to know that there is a FULL SIZE spare in the trunk. Run flat tires have a harsh ride, in most cases they cannot be repaired, they wear out quickly, they do not handle as well as conventional tires, are horribly expensive to replace, can be very difficult to find and the "idea" of run flats leaves us with no spare in the trunk. RUN FLAT TIRES ARE THE KISS OF DEATH and the more vocal we are with MB, the sooner they will get the message. If Lexus can put a full size spare in an LS460, MB can put one in a new S550. Hey, Mercedes-Benz big wigs, are you LISTENING? Hello? Anybody? Is this thing on?
Old 12-10-2014, 11:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
MB has approved conventional tires in other markets, above quote relates to MBUSA - see here https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...ml#post6068164

Last edited by konigstiger; 12-10-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:39 AM

2014 S400
The dealer is proposing I change to Conti CSC3. Does anyone have experience with this type of tire. I would hate to do a "frying pan to fire"
Old 12-11-2014, 10:53 AM

W222 S320 (Chinese Model)
The truth is, S400 has different glass then S550. Here in China they also sale S400 (3 models). But all has no double-layer glass, either wind shield or side window glass, only S500 or S600 has such anti-noise glass.
Yes, run-flat-tire is another issue.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:49 AM

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
Interesting...I was under the impression that ALL S-class came with double layer glass. I know double-layer glass is an option on the E-Class (which I ordered for mine). I'm curious as to how much of a difference it really makes.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:20 AM

S550
I didn't know that there was a difference on the glass. Still not sure of that, but ok.

The issue though is not the glass. The OP is talking about harshness and that is not wind. That is road noise, likely from the tires. Run flats are known for this type of thing.

I am interested to hear what the OP ends up with as it looks like he is attempting a tire swap to something his dealer is recommending. That is the right course I believe, but make sure the new tire is not run flat or it will likely not improve much. You need to go with a conventional tire and use an inflator kit or toss a spare in the trunk.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:18 PM

2014 S400
The windows are not the problem as the noise is road dependent. On very smooth surfaces there is no noise.
Anyway I will be changing to standard tires next week and will post the results. I recorded the road noise and will do a comparison.
The tire change came at my insistence and I will have to pay the full amount. But it will be worth it.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,743 Likes on 2,139 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by robroymc
I happened to se this on another thread. Pretty much sums up MB attitude on "customers satisfaction". Whats next "wooden wheels"

RUN FLAT TIRES--MB ADVISORS SURVEY
I am a member of the factory sponsored "Mercedes-Benz Advisors" online group and they have a current survey in progress, regarding customer opinions on run flat tires. The results are pretty much what we would have thought them to be: Probably a solid 95% to 98% of those responding dislike or absolutely HATE run flats. The far and away preference is for conventional, high performance tires with a FULL SIZE SPARE in the trunk. Some drivers, women in particular, like the idea of run flats, but when you talk about being out of town, away from the big city and encountering a severe road hazard that DESTROYS the tire, we all know how COMFORTING it is to know that there is a FULL SIZE spare in the trunk. Run flat tires have a harsh ride, in most cases they cannot be repaired, they wear out quickly, they do not handle as well as conventional tires, are horribly expensive to replace, can be very difficult to find and the "idea" of run flats leaves us with no spare in the trunk. RUN FLAT TIRES ARE THE KISS OF DEATH and the more vocal we are with MB, the sooner they will get the message. If Lexus can put a full size spare in an LS460, MB can put one in a new S550. Hey, Mercedes-Benz big wigs, are you LISTENING? Hello? Anybody? Is this thing on?
I happen to be the author of the above diatribe, as I, too, am a member of MBAdvisors. I have a new S550 on order, due to be delivered in about two weeks. The dealer has agreed to deliver the car to me with conventional tires of my choice, a compact spare, jack & appropriate tools in the trunk. We shall see what we shall see and I'll report here how it all plays out. Run flat tires are, indeed, THE KISS OF DEATH!
Old 12-13-2014, 04:29 PM

E3504MATIC
Lexus LS600h L is worlds quietest car. But there is a simple fix. Find worlds best noise cancelling headphones. I dont know what those are and if OP could care less about it. I dont think bose ones are good enough. That being said the biggest takeaway from this is that Jag did good job with XJ. Who knew.. Gotta test drive that one. There are some good XJs near me that depreciated quite a bit. SWB would be nice.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,330 Likes on 2,059 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Sal_S
Lexus LS600h L is worlds quietest car. But there is a simple fix. Find worlds best noise cancelling headphones. I dont know what those are and if OP could care less about it. I dont think bose ones are good enough. That being said the biggest takeaway from this is that Jag did good job with XJ. Who knew.. Gotta test drive that one. There are some good XJs near me that depreciated quite a bit. SWB would be nice.
Don't think that the Lexus IS the quietest car. The S-class was tested by a german car mag (AMS) and that it had the lowest db ratings of any sedan, including RR & Bentley. The coupe tested afterwards turned out to be actually quieter yet.

This was tested at speed though...
Old 12-14-2014, 09:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
VW 48
I own a 2015 S550 with Magic Body and 18’’ wheels and a 2014 Lexus LS460 with the same size wheels. Both are fine cars. Comparing one to the other, each has its “strengths” and “weaknesses”. I perceive the LS460 as quieter.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:48 PM

2014 S400
Streamliner. You proved that the people at MB who are lucky to be in charge of a car having the S-Class status are now busily trying to prove how easy it is to lose a reputation.
My S400 is in the garage now being re-fitted with standard tires.
I am now having the fun of trying to make some logic of why I got a 360 deg camera, massage function, lane and cruise controls as STANDARD but a HEATED STEERING WHEEEL and the ability to regulate the rear seat climate are OPTIONAL. And as I didn't ask for them I didn't get them.
My advise to MB is if you want to make a car with compromises attached to it. Stay away from the letter S. There is a whole bunch more in the alphabet
Old 12-18-2014, 06:32 PM

2014 S400
Well I changed to standard tires but the bad news is that the road noise is exactly the same. So I just spent US$3,000, sorry I mean I just wasted US$3,000. I am at a loss.
Any ideas anyone ?
Just to be sure on the noise level I took my sales Director, who drives a Toyota van, before and after and he confirmed 1. That the noise is the same and 2 that if his Toyota van was that noisy he would complain to the maker but more importantly "they would do something about it" MB on the other hand say "this is normal".
Old 12-18-2014, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 349 Likes on 216 Posts
S560
Sorry, can't help you. My car is exceptionally quiet- almost too much so. Have you driven other S classes to compare?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S400 Road Noise