MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W222) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222-178/)
-   -   does MB USA ever lower MSRPs based on foreign exchange rates? (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222/566761-does-mb-usa-ever-lower-msrps-based-foreign-exchange-rates.html)

syswei 12-07-2014 11:51 AM

does MB USA ever lower MSRPs based on foreign exchange rates?

Euro vs $ has gone from about 1.38 to 1.23 since April...could MB possibly lower MSRPs in the US, whenever it next changes them? There was a more dramatic decline from 1.48 to 1.22 (Apr 2011 to July 2012)...what happened back then?

What happens to custom orders if MSRP gets adjusted up or down between the time the order is placed and the time it is delivered? Is $ price frozen at the time of the order?

LovinMercedes 12-07-2014 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by syswei (Post 6255554)
Euro vs $ has gone from about 1.38 to 1.23 since April...could MB possibly lower MSRPs in the US, whenever it next changes them? There was a more dramatic decline from 1.48 to 1.22 (Apr 2011 to July 2012)...what happened back then?

What happens to custom orders if MSRP gets adjusted up or down between the time the order is placed and the time it is delivered? Is $ price frozen at the time of the order?

The MSRP gets set at the beginning of the model year and that is it for the year.

MSRP does not fluctuate.

UrBusted 12-07-2014 01:09 PM

You guys already save £40,000 on a brand new S63 compared to us and now you guys want more ;p. If it goes down like this, I might as well learn how to drive a left hand drive car!

ajm0623 12-07-2014 02:47 PM

interesting question. i recall back in the mid-80s (yes, im that old) when i first starting buying benzos (560sl, 560sel -- remember those? omg! hahahaha) that the dealer had adjustments to the msrp based on fx rates at the time. i was too young and stupid at that time to know if that was truly the case or if the dealership was just marking up the cars and pinning it on fx; i do recall refusing to pay it. and today (too old and just as stupid), i dont see such adjustments on any of the foreign cars i buy. very very interesting question, op. thanks for taking me down memory lane with that little anecdote. hahahaha. sorry i dont have a better answer for you!

Streamliner 12-07-2014 06:03 PM

Most companies doing business in foreign countries buy currency futures to lock in exchange rates. Back when the dollar was going the other way against the Euro, MB and other makes did not raise MSRP numbers during the year. And short of a gigantic swing in the rates, we will NEVER see an MSRP go down during the year. It would piss off way too many previous customers.

syswei 12-07-2014 06:26 PM

Thanks for the replies. I thought to ask because formerly we were a Lexus family, and I remember that Lexus and I think other Japanese makes would sometimes have 2-3 rounds of price changes a year...though I couldn't remember instances of declines.

syswei 12-11-2014 05:17 PM

Since MB can vary its factory to dealer and factory to customer incentives monthly, I suppose they can and perhaps do take FX fluctuations into account.

Buddyk 12-11-2014 06:35 PM

This was a factor for my quick purchase decision. (USD/CAD though) Not sure it will pan out to anything noticeable but it influenced me.