questions re USAA / fleet discounts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
questions re USAA / fleet discounts

I'm not a USAA member but fortunately discovered that my wife is eligible for the same level discount, at least for now, as an employee of Morgan Stanley...they have a fleet discount for employees. So I have a few questions:

1. Dealer says that the USAA / fleet discount can't be combined with the factory to dealer incentive...is that correct? So if were talking about Dec., the USAA / fleet is $4500 and factory to dealer is $4000, and for us the higher, $4500, would apply...not $8500.

2. For a special ordered car, what determines the fleet discount, the month the car arrives at the dealer, or the month I take possession? For instance, if the dealer received the car Feb 28, but I don't pick it up until Mar 1, does the fleet discount for Feb or Mar apply? The salesperson seems to think it would be March.

3. If there happens to be a factory to end customer rebate at the time the car comes in, can THAT be combined with the fleet discount? Or do I get only the best of the 3 discounts?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML63
  1. Highly likely that these cannot be combined. Check the small print for details. I guess the "factory-to-dealer" incentive may fall into one of the exclusions listed below.
  2. Usually, it's the date when you sign (the key word here) all the docs and take delivery.
  3. It depends on what form the rebate will manifest itself it. If it falls into any of the excluded categories, these cannot be combined. However, your sales person should know better.
And here comes the small print (copy/paste from the official MB Fleet Program site):

Fleet incentives cannot be used in conjunction with Diplomat, European Delivery, Courtesy Vehicle Program (CVP) vehicle that has not met the minimum service requirement, Special Demos, certificate programs, control number programs, other Fleet Programs (Corporate Sales, Executive Allowance Bonus (EAB) or Fleet Employee Program (FEP)), or non-U.S. specification vehicles.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:57 PM

ML63
One more thing - usually, the corporate incentives are derived from the FEP (Fleet Employee Program) scheme, and these attract peanut-size discounts, like $1000 for an MY15 W222. If Morgan Stanley offers $4500, .... well, it is a kick a$$ benefit.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Terminator2029
  1. Highly likely that these cannot be combined. Check the small print for details. I guess the "factory-to-dealer" incentive may fall into one of the exclusions listed below.
  2. Usually, it's the date when you sign (the key word here) all the docs and take delivery.
  3. It depends on what form the rebate will manifest itself it. If it falls into any of the excluded categories, these cannot be combined. However, your sales person should know better.
And here comes the small print (copy/paste from the official MB Fleet Program site):

Fleet incentives cannot be used in conjunction with Diplomat, European Delivery, Courtesy Vehicle Program (CVP) vehicle that has not met the minimum service requirement, Special Demos, certificate programs, control number programs, other Fleet Programs (Corporate Sales, Executive Allowance Bonus (EAB) or Fleet Employee Program (FEP)), or non-U.S. specification vehicles.
Thanks for finding that. But...to me, none of the programs listed sound like a factory to dealer incentive. So I'm still wondering if it is possible to use both discounts.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:04 AM

ML63
I doubt both of us understand the internal aspects of a factory-to-dealer incentive in terms of how it is represented from the MB dealership operating procedures standpoint. The right course of actions would be a simple question that you pose to your dealer asking to clarify the grounds on which both incentives cannot be combined. If they are smart, they will not respond back with a binary (Yes/No) answer, and provide a detailed response to justify their position.

From my experience, any incentive that requires the issuance of what's called a Control Number cannot be used in conjunction with each other.

One of my lessons learned as a MB customer is to avoid affinity to a single dealership for purchases. Have you done your research with other dealers? Have you tried approaching an out-of-state dealer? I'm sure you will be able to find a dealer who can offer you a good (5-7% below MSRP) baseline price from which you simply deduct the fleet incentive, and celebrate .
Old 12-11-2014, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks, terminator. I emailed the MB fleet program (there is an email address on the page where the fine print you provided came from) and they responded "This is correct it" [FEP] "cannot be combined with any other Mercedes incentives."
Old 12-11-2014, 01:51 PM

Received 138 Likes on 106 Posts
2005 SL 500. 2015 S550. 2016 GLE400 2018 S560
Just took delivery of my 2015 S550 in November. I am a USAA member and got $4500 off negotiated price. Was told could not combine discounts. Discount was at time of delivery as USAA discount was originally $1000 when I ordered car in September , went up to $2500 in October and $4500 in November when my car was delivered.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One more thing - usually, the corporate incentives are derived from the FEP (Fleet Employee Program) scheme, and these attract peanut-size discounts, like $1000 for an MY15 W222. If Morgan Stanley offers $4500, .... well, it is a kick a$$ benefit.
One of the dealers I had contacted while shopping for a good price checked and was also surprised to see the Morgan Stanley discount up at the USAA level. He mentioned that a whopping 15% of vehicles sold by MB in the US are with the USAA discount.

While on its own the Morgan Stanley looks like a great discount, as I now know it can't be combined with the factory to dealer cash, so in effect it would save me "only" an incremental $500 (for December...I am actually special ordering).

Last edited by syswei; 12-11-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts
S560
Just spoke to the GM at my dealer- you cannot combine fleet and incentives unfortunately. I will say if you are looking for a great deal he is fantastic (they are right off 684 near CT).