S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Question...If have you driven the Tesla model S vs S550, why did you choose the S550?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S550
Ok, put this Tesla motor on the S Class, extend the battery to 400 miles with AC switched on, reduce the recharge time to about one hour, make it with the same cost as current S Class, and I will consider it
Old 02-18-2015, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by Cptdenny
The Tesla reminds me of my first lap top with 6GB hard drive back in '99 that cost me $1,500. Every time Tesla improves their beta tested car, the one before it becomes obsolete with pi$$ed off owners. Tesla then offers a greatly depreciated value if one what's to upgrade to the newer model.

Upgrades happen often in a Tesla's model year. I for one don't want to be left holding the bag with an obsolete $100K + vehicle after a few months of ownership.
You're argument is straight backwards. Tesla is the only car company in existence that regularly updates already sold vehicles to new technology when available. All done online in the owners driveway. Sure, hardware is not included but please show me a car company that doesn't improve their vehicles every year? How about another one that upgrades old cars for free?

As far as retaining value, you couldn't be farther from the truth. A NEW S class sells on average for 93-94% of MSRP, after the first two years a used one is closer to 70%. A new Tesla sells for MSRP and after 2 years they are selling for 90-95% of MSRP. It's the highest resale value in existence....
Old 02-18-2015, 09:56 AM

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Originally Posted by emilner
You're argument is straight backwards. Tesla is the only car company in existence that regularly updates already sold vehicles to new technology when available. All done online in the owners driveway. Sure, hardware is not included but please show me a car company that doesn't improve their vehicles every year? How about another one that upgrades old cars for free?

As far as retaining value, you couldn't be farther from the truth. A NEW S class sells on average for 93-94% of MSRP, after the first two years a used one is closer to 70%. A new Tesla sells for MSRP and after 2 years they are selling for 90-95% of MSRP. It's the highest resale value in existence....
I'm at a mixed view on this. I saw a P85 for £97,000 before the P85D came out. That same car is now at £77,950. It's a 2014 car. I see a another P85 which is £12,000 off and then another one for £80,000. They all seem to have lost £10-20,000 and they are less than a year old.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 SL600, 2015 Lexus RX450h, 2014 S550

You better update your outdated information. The 4 wheel drive update can't be installed in the 2014 six month old Tesla. This alone has pi$$ed off many current 2014 owners. Read the Tesla forums.

The one thing that helps sell these new Teslas is the $7,500 tax incentive, which doesn't apply to someone like myself, since my income is derived from "Capital Gains" and not "earned income".

If you go on eBay you'll see some Tesla owners attempting to sell their out dated vehicle to uniformed buyers for what you say. However they're not getting sold at those prices. The ones being sold are the ones that are greatly depreciated.

The only Tesla holding value presently is the discontinued sports car model.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. Resale is no longer so high. That was in the first year. It's about equal to the s class and higher than the 2013 s class.

People who bought cars before Oct 2014 got what they paid for. Nothing less. They even get software upgrades. Like I got auto high beam added by software. Never existed when I purchased the car. The 2015 added heated Steering wheel. I can't complain cause it never existed when i purchased. If it was necessary then I would wait to purchase. Just like autopilot was critical so I waited till it matched my distronic plus.

The early buyers shouldn't complain since they got what the buyers order / Windows sticker said they would at time of purchase. They do complain because they are techie so want latest and greatest all the time.

Look at how behind a car can get when you see no Bluetooth in the w221 forever. I prefer teslas ongoing free updates!
Old 02-18-2015, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by drsaab
I'm 100 percent sure you can take a survey of under 40 year old's and the tesla will be crowned as more sexy. No one said it's a Ferrari.

Can you give details on the discount you are getting in email on a new ordered tesla? I have not heard on the tesla forums about it. There is a 2-3 month wait so I'm not sure why they are giving discounts. They do discount loaners, which they call inventory cars.
You are 100% sure, I don't think so. Cool, yes, Sexy, no...

I looked through my emails and noticed that Tesla never send the details via emails, just follow-ups on it, reminders, surveys, etc.
The deal was in the showroom. I was spec'ing the P85D and the lease was in the $1700 range. They said if I get the car in Q1, they will reduce the price by by roughly $200 a month.

I was never interested enough to see the breakdown beyond what the website showed, but the emails followed up based on pulling the trigger on the deal...

It was a stand-out for me because I never heard of Tesla working a deal to make a quota....
Old 02-18-2015, 09:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Old 02-18-2015, 09:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Does the tesla do that?
Old 02-19-2015, 08:05 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I'm 100 percent sure you can take a survey of under 40 year old's and the tesla will be crowned as more sexy. No one said it's a Ferrari.
Exactly. It's more "sexy" to an S Class to any group that's not an existing S Class owner. The S isn't a "sexy" car and isn't intended to be, the Tesla, for a large family sedan, is. And it drives far more like a a sports car than an S Class does. S is a superior luxury limo, richer, more mature, more panache, classic old world cachet, etc. But the Tesla will be considered a sexier car to drive or look at by most. The S will be considered a more premium and luxurious one to.

The Tesla reminds me of my first lap top with 6GB hard drive back in '99 that cost me $1,500. Every time Tesla improves their beta tested car, the one before it becomes obsolete with pi$$ed off owners. Tesla then offers a greatly depreciated value if one what's to upgrade to the newer model.

Upgrades happen often in a Tesla's model year. I for one don't want to be left holding the bag with an obsolete $100K + vehicle after a few months of ownership.
You better update your outdated information. The 4 wheel drive update can't be installed in the 2014 six month old Tesla. This alone has pi$$ed off many current 2014 owners. Read the Tesla forums.

The one thing that helps sell these new Teslas is the $7,500 tax incentive, which doesn't apply to someone like myself, since my income is derived from "Capital Gains" and not "earned income".

If you go on eBay you'll see some Tesla owners attempting to sell their out dated vehicle to uniformed buyers for what you say. However they're not getting sold at those prices. The ones being sold are the ones that are greatly depreciated.

This is very backwards. That's like saying that S550 owners were pissed because maybe the 4Matic came out later. Or because the S63 came out later. Tesla is entitled to update their lineup years into their run.

If M-B puts in a new engine or hardware, then your car is literally "obsolete". Tesla's cars have been very similar since the start. Compare any M-B short of the G Class to what was our in 2010 or 2011. Big difference.

Tesla doesn't even do model years, again, protecting early cars for obsolescence. They pay more mind to that than about anyone, as most mass manufacturers have resorted to glorified rentals as business model ("lease then toss"), big discounts, fleet like sales, etc. Tesla know that to build a following and cachet, they need to protect early owners thus resale (as much as they can) thus timelessness. That builds a core, and it's what M-B did, as well as most others during their rises.

The amount of updates you can get to a Tesla without having to go anywhere, is above and beyond any manufacturer, period.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Are you are referring to my post with youtube's Tesla passengers reaction ?
If so, Tesla is a clear winner in acceleration/gas-freebie department.
On the other hand, W222 is a clear winner in everything-else department.

Edit;
Those girls in S550's video are HOTTTT btw. Tesla's, not so. Another plus for MB.

Last edited by Red Marko; 02-19-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560

So in your world a car manufacturer should never update their vehicles? Pretty sure the early 2014 S class owners didn't throw hate at MB because the 4matic came out later.

It is a fact that Tesla is the only car company to regularly update prior sold vehicles. You trying to make the opposite argument is absurd....
Old 02-19-2015, 09:53 PM

So in your world a car manufacturer should never update their vehicles? Pretty sure the early 2014 S class owners didn't throw hate at MB because the 4matic came out later.

It is a fact that Tesla is the only car company to regularly update prior sold vehicles. You trying to make the opposite argument is absurd....
I'm going on what am reading in the Tesla owner's forum. The earlier 2014 S class owners would be pi$$ed if the 4matic came out a few months later at no additional cost as what happened with the Tesla P85D.

Why don't you go on to the Tesla forum and tell those earlier 2014 Tesla owners/fan boys, it's no big deal that the all wheel drive option at no additional cost means nothing. That their $129K top of the line model has the same value as the later D model has in the used car market. From what's reported, Tesla is willing to buy back those earlier 2014 P85+ at $80K per. That's only a $49K loss for those wanting to upgrade to the very latest. LOL

Last July I nearly made the mistake to purchase a top of the line Tesla, I chose the 2014 S550 only because the dealer had it in stock and at a good discount, while I would have to wait for the Tesla to be built. I would be really pi$$ed if I had purchased the Tesla and less than 2 months later of getting it, the D model at the same price became available.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
I'm going on what am reading in the Tesla owner's forum. The earlier 2014 S class owners would be pi$$ed if the 4matic came out a few months later at no additional cost as what happened with the Tesla P85D.

Why don't you go on to the Tesla forum and tell those earlier 2014 Tesla owners/fan boys, it's no big deal that the all wheel drive option at no additional cost means nothing. That their $129K top of the line model has the same value as the later D model has in the used car market. From what's reported, Tesla is willing to buy back those earlier 2014 P85+ at $80K per. That's only a $49K loss for those wanting to upgrade to the very latest. LOL

Last July I nearly made the mistake to purchase a top of the line Tesla, I chose the 2014 S550 only because the dealer had it in stock and at a good discount, while I would have to wait for the Tesla to be built. I would be really pi$$ed if I had purchased the Tesla and less than 2 months later of getting it, the D model at the same price became available.
First, you can't help stupid people. It was well known that they were coming out with an AWD model. Second, who said it was a zero cost upgrade?

And exactly how could you option a Model S to $129k before the AWD

And yes, mercedes does make options that once cost money standard. Just look at the pana roof, it started as an option and now it's standard. I don't see S class owners getting pissed (except one who doesn't want it).

Getting upset because a company improves their product over time is just about the dumbest concept going. You really need to live in a cave to feel that way...
Old 02-19-2015, 10:18 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
My brother and I each ordered a P85D several months ago. My brother's arrived about 3 weeks before mine. He went out of town for a week and let me borrow his before mine arrived. After driving his for a few days I took a $2500 hit (my deposit) and canceled my order. I wanted to love the Tesla but I can honestly say that I hated it. No doubt it's fast but the interior just sucks and it's not a comfortable car. I didn't find anything really "sporty" about it. I love my 2015 S550. One of the great interiors and a nice car to drive.

After canceling my Tesla order I picked up a 2015 black on black Ferrari FF. So all is good!
Old 02-19-2015, 10:40 PM

And exactly how could you option a Model S to $129k before the AWD
Simple:

Old 02-19-2015, 11:58 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500

Man, I hope you didn't get an S yet, as the 9G is supposed to come out after just 2 short model years (or if it's already out on the S, then first year owners really got the shaft). Or when M-B inevitably updates the engines. That's be a real sour taste of "obsolesce" while Tesla owners are updating their entire car to meet current MY specs through the cloud.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 S550v4 2014 E350 Cabrio
I'm tempted to get a Tesla as my car of choice to go get mail from my mail box - then I don't have to worry about range anxiety, lacking the full range of safety features that the S class has, having a class act interior instead of boring, not having to contend with 'updates' on the fly when the Tesla factory so chooses to do so, along with always needing Windex to keep the instrument panel clean. BTW, my mailbox is 100 feet from my garage.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kretsh
I'm tempted to get a Tesla as my car of choice to go get mail from my mail box - then I don't have to worry about range anxiety, lacking the full range of safety features that the S class has, having a class act interior instead of boring, not having to contend with 'updates' on the fly when the Tesla factory so chooses to do so, along with always needing Windex to keep the instrument panel clean. BTW, my mailbox is 100 feet from my garage.
LMAO
Old 02-21-2015, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Simple:

Holy crapola!
I didn't realize/know Tesla costs that much (was never interested in it). Grossly overpriced imo, $130k? For what, being electric? Where are the savings.

I guess an electric sucker is being born every day.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:18 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by Red Marko
Holy crapola!
I didn't realize/know Tesla costs that much (was never interested in it). Grossly overpriced imo, $130k? For what, being electric? Where are the savings.

Bingo!

And if that were not enough - leave it to this fantasy boy / thief Elon Musk ... to try and talk up this loss to the weather.

For those that missed their latest earnings report:

Tesla Motors Inc. stunned Wall Street on Wednesday by reporting a fourth-quarter adjusted loss of 13 cents a share, compared with a gain of 33 cents a share a year earlier and Wall Street expectations of earnings of 30 cents a share for the quarter.

Maybe they need another government loan?
Old 02-23-2015, 12:01 AM

Simple:

Ummm the Executive seat package never even existed before the AWD. So putting this 130k P85D tesla up as an example is nonsense. The poster asked how could you get to 129k Before AWD.

This price is after AWD and Executive seats. That is like someone saying how could the S550 be 165k and you posting a s63amg. You are just posting incorrect facts. There are many dumb ppl out there, the ones who own a W222 or a Telsa would not usually be in that category. Might as well agree with the post that says the S550 costs the same as a honda accord since ppl will believe anything you put on the net.

Last edited by drsaab; 02-23-2015 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by kretsh
Interestingly The ONLY ppl who have range anxiety are the ones who do NOT own a Tesla. I guess if you check your mail more than 6600 times a day you would have an issue of doing that 200 ft round trip trek.

Actually at such a slow speed running 200ft in the the S550 would not even make 250 miles most likely and the Tesla you could recharge back to 250 miles in your heated garage, but you would need to drive that S550 to the gas station to refill unless you call AAA to bring gas to you.

Your S class probably has the same surface area of digital displays. Better keep the Windex.

The Tesla Is rated 5.4 stars in safety. Broke the testing machine.

It all comes back to the interior again only being the valid point in this smart post.

Again.. funny post but such nonsense. your argument is like backwards. You should own the Tesla, you can check your mail 6600 times and repeat daily without ever having to leave your house.

Last edited by drsaab; 02-23-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Red Marko
Holy crapola!

Again, the poster puts up the extreme case. A Model S that compares to the S550 performance wise and option wise is about 100k before the 7500 rebate.

As far as Value, The 2 CL in your signature are probably the highest depreciating cars in the first 2-3 years that Mercedes has. IMO A variety of a S550 and a SL would probably be more practical and fun but I am sure you like your CL for many reasons besides being a good value. Unless you get them used. Then they are a great deal.

at 92500 (plus more state incentives in some states )you then get savings in running cost of 1/3 to 1/4 electric cost vs fuel cost. And maint savings of at least 1/2 of a S class. So it can slowly add up over a 8 year life span. HOV access is a bonus in some states too.

Last edited by drsaab; 02-23-2015 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Interestingly The ONLY ppl who have range anxiety are the ones who do NOT own a Tesla. I guess if you check your mail more than 6600 times a day you would have an issue of doing that 200 ft round trip trek.

Actually at such a slow speed running 200ft in the the S550 would not even make 250 miles most likely and the Tesla you could recharge back to 250 miles in your heated garage, but you would need to drive that S550 to the gas station to refill unless you call AAA to bring gas to you.

Your S class probably has the same surface area of digital displays. Better keep the Windex.

The Tesla Is rated 5.4 stars in safety. Broke the testing machine.

It all comes back to the interior again only being the valid point in this smart post.

Again.. funny post but such nonsense. your argument is like backwards. You should own the Tesla, you can check your mail 6600 times and repeat daily without ever having to leave your house.
Lots of silly posts in this thread; people either like or dislike cars. No need to talk down a lot of the great attributes of the Tesla.
IMO, the Tesla is not a contender to the S-Class. Not even close. But it is a great car nonetheless.
Electronics are not expensive and neither are e-motors. The price that Tesla asks for their cars can't be justified in the long run as much of it is to recoup development costs, pay for overpriced old battery-tech and develop better batteries.
In 5 years we'll see EV's that are realistically priced next to ICE cars and at that point we'll hopefully have more and better choices.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Lots of silly posts in this thread; people either like or dislike cars. No need to talk down a lot of the great attributes of the Tesla.
IMO, the Tesla is not a contender to the S-Class. Not even close. But it is a great car nonetheless.
Electronics are not expensive and neither are e-motors. The price that Tesla asks for their cars can't be justified in the long run as much of it is to recoup development costs, pay for overpriced old battery-tech and develop better batteries.
In 5 years we'll see EV's that are realistically priced next to ICE cars and at that point we'll hopefully have more and better choices.

Fully agree, very well stated.

I think in few years, there will be more practical EV choices and hopefully, some of those will be from classic luxury car makers such as MB.

For Tesla fans, while we don’t consider Tesal a good choice for us yet, it is good that you see it of good value to you. This will help fund the EV industry and move it from beta products to final products soon.

Happy and safe driving to all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: Question...If have you driven the Tesla model S vs S550, why did you choose the S550?