S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Question...If have you driven the Tesla model S vs S550, why did you choose the S550?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:30 AM

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Originally Posted by drsaab
Interestingly The ONLY ppl who have range anxiety are the ones who do NOT own a Tesla. I guess if you check your mail more than 6600 times a day you would have an issue of doing that 200 ft round trip trek.

Actually at such a slow speed running 200ft in the the S550 would not even make 250 miles most likely and the Tesla you could recharge back to 250 miles in your heated garage, but you would need to drive that S550 to the gas station to refill unless you call AAA to bring gas to you.

Your S class probably has the same surface area of digital displays. Better keep the Windex.

The Tesla Is rated 5.4 stars in safety. Broke the testing machine.

It all comes back to the interior again only being the valid point in this smart post.

Again.. funny post but such nonsense. your argument is like backwards. You should own the Tesla, you can check your mail 6600 times and repeat daily without ever having to leave your house.
I have range anxiety due to going up and down the country for business, and the only places where I can detour for superchargers means a detour for at least 30 minutes to get there, another to get back on the road and whatever the charging rate is. My S Class does way over 500 miles on a tank, easily. I have yet to find someone who touches the screens in the S Class to make them dirty. I wonder why they haven't tested the S Class for safety rating. The interior is pretty much the reason most of us buy a S Class. We don't buy it for performance. For people which have the S550 or above its the best of both worlds. Decent Performance when you need it and unmatched Luxury. You can happily live in a S Class whereas I doubt people would in a Tesla.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e550
The problem I have with the Tesla is the seating position. You are sitting up on the battery packs (not against the floor board) therefore your feet are sticking up to high considering the size of the car. The roof line is low and the seat bottom is high something has to give and for me it is seating position. It is a really nice looking car and I do like the build of the chassis. As far as range goes on the rare occasion I could use a different car, don't we all have two cars.

Last edited by wanderfalke; 02-23-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:29 PM

Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Originally Posted by wanderfalke
The problem I have with the Tesla is the seating position. You are sitting up on the battery packs (not against the floor board) therefore your feet are sticking up to high considering the size of the car. The roof line is low and the seat bottom is high something has to give and for me it is seating position. It is a really nice looking car and I do like the build of the chassis. As far as range goes on the rare occasion I could use a different car, don't we all have two cars.
Yeah, but the reason I have the S Class is for long journeys. I got a A4 and a 335 if I wanted to travel around town.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Originally Posted by drsaab
Again, the poster puts up the extreme case. A Model S that compares to the S550 performance wise and option wise is about 100k before the 7500 rebate.

As far as Value, The 2 CL in your signature are probably the highest depreciating cars in the first 2-3 years that Mercedes has. IMO A variety of a S550 and a SL would probably be more practical and fun but I am sure you like your CL for many reasons besides being a good value. Unless you get them used. Then they are a great deal.

at 92500 (plus more state incentives in some states )you then get savings in running cost of 1/3 to 1/4 electric cost vs fuel cost. And maint savings of at least 1/2 of a S class. So it can slowly add up over a 8 year life span. HOV access is a bonus in some states too.
Oops, Sorry I didn't realize you just bought Tesla, I understand you might be butt hurt a little with my comments

Regarding my 2 CL, I bought them new, fully understanding depreciating factor. Not a biggie as CL600 I drove for 5 years totally enjoying every mile. CL63 AMG, just for 1 year, so ... not so (pos).

But you are right about the word "value". People value different things in different cars
Old 02-26-2015, 02:41 AM

http://gas2.org/2015/02/25/tesla-mod...y-car-america/
Old 02-26-2015, 10:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e550
[QUOTE=. CL63 AMG, just for 1 year, so ... not so (pos).

What was the problem with the AMG ? Seats are real comfortable but the ride is to stiff?
Old 02-26-2015, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=wanderfalke;6344261][QUOTE=. CL63 AMG, just for 1 year, so ... not so (pos).

What was the problem with the AMG ? Seats are real comfortable but the ride is to stiff?[/QUOTE]

"Can you handle the truth"?
Old 02-26-2015, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts
S560
[QUOTE=wanderfalke;6344261][QUOTE=. CL63 AMG, just for 1 year, so ... not so (pos).

What was the problem with the AMG ? Seats are real comfortable but the ride is to stiff?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Red Marko;6344904]
Originally Posted by wanderfalke

"Can you handle the truth"?
I believe Marko went through about 4 serpentine belts. MB couldn't figure out why the car was burning through them. I told Marko to stop using the engine to run his beat vodka distillery but he wouldn't listen....
Old 02-26-2015, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=emilner;6345043][QUOTE=wanderfalke;6344261]

Originally Posted by Red Marko

I believe Marko went through about 4 serpentine belts. MB couldn't figure out why the car was burning through them. I told Marko to stop using the engine to run his beat vodka distillery but he wouldn't listen....
Ed's recollection is 100% on the dot. That's basically what happened.

To rephrase, AMG to me at least, is the biggest scam ever.
It used to be fantastic, exotic tune.
Now, just watered down pos.

PS
Ed, why do you think beet vodka is so expensive to produce???
Old 02-26-2015, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Why not throw a Tesla P85D engine in the AMG
Old 02-26-2015, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
PS
Ed, why do you think beet vodka is so expensive to produce???
Ever since you did hard time for illegal beet vodka production the price has skyrocketed. I told you the AMG exhaust was too loud!!
Old 02-26-2015, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

All jokes aside,
you've got latest AMG, I've got latest AMG.
Honestly, did you enjoy your AMG's version of MB?
Or, were you pissed off by unexpected defection?
Old 02-28-2015, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
Originally Posted by Red Marko
All jokes aside,
you've got latest AMG, I've got latest AMG.
Honestly, did you enjoy your AMG's version of MB?
Or, were you pissed off by unexpected defection?
What do you say.

Is it overpriced? Without doubt. I don't think anyone has ever questioned that.

Is it ridiculously powerful? Hell yeah.

Would I buy another? No. I've gown past that need for power that trumps the need for comfort and luxury. After over 100 cars of various stages of scary that I've had, I can say I've had my fill. What impresses me today is luxury.

Is it a scam and POS? Nope.

You had a lemon. That's all. You don't hate AMG or MB. You just had a bad car.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:30 PM

I've met a Tesla Fan who thinks that the Tesla Model S is the best vehicle in the world. Can I have someone who owns a Tesla respond to this guy. He has been trying to prove to me that the Tesla is the better, safer, more luxurious, more refined, with more road presence than a C63 Black, or SLS. Here is his latest comments.
"Tesla rear heated seats are faster because its an electric toaster no coolant circulation needed, people slept on the rear seats like a bed, leather is the same quality material, stereo system can play flac and is one of the better ones of its class especially on the new P85D, fruit ninja on tablet is way better considering entertainment, there's controlling command from voice and Tesla app on phone or watch, there are rear cupholders with storage that matches the car interior, a tunnel in the floor feels worse for the middle passenger, Tesla doesn't have that but instead more space,and the frunk is excellent at cooling,

Tesla is the better Taxi, as it shows with its popularity among customers, and owners themselves."
" The s class is not an important car and hasn't won the most important awards,nor as many accolades , as the Tesla.

And yes it did outsell the s class.

And currently doing better when you consider the supply constraints and 0 dollar advertisements for Tesla. "
"I don't see the s class winning overall best car of the year unlike The Tesla Model S has. Which is more luxirous and prestigous award.

Tesla owners have agreed that the Model S offers a more luxurious package. The modern design is more ionic and fresh than the s class."
Why are there these hardcore fanboys who haven't spent 5 minutes in either car saying that one is better than the other?
Old 02-28-2015, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can I have someone who owns a Tesla respond to this guy.

He has been trying to prove to me that the Tesla is the better, safer, more luxurious, more refined, with more road presence than a C63 Black, or SLS. Here is his latest comments.

It is equally as safe for sure. luxurious in its drive but not seating, quite refined now, more presence than c63 but not a SLS of course.

"Tesla rear heated seats are faster because its an electric toaster no coolant circulation needed, people slept on the rear seats like a bed"

heated seat is a heated seat. There is no coolant in either. The cabin heater is faster because its instant vs a ICE that needs the engine to warm up. The seat heaters are same in both. PPl do put the back seat down and put a air matress in the Tesla and use a "camper mode" to sleep in it. So not on the rear seat, but from the trunk hatch to the back of the front seat a mattress does fit well.

leather is the same quality material,

They are both nappa, I dunno Quality. S550 has way better seats.

stereo system can play flac and is one of the better ones of its class especially on the new P85D,

It does play flac, is better than my E class HK , but most likely not better than W222 stereo.

fruit ninja on tablet is way better considering entertainment, there's controlling command from voice and Tesla app on phone or watch, there are rear cupholders with storage that matches the car interior, a tunnel in the floor feels worse for the middle passenger,

? huh? There is a cool app. you can turn on heat/ac/ check charge level, open sunroof, check location, speed, etc etc.

Watch app is not out yet. will be when apple watch comes out.

Closed Storage is a zero out of ten in Tesla. Open storage is a 11/10. Lots of place, but its all open so no coverage for stored items. There are many factory options for covered storage as an accessory.

Tesla doesn't have that but instead more space,and the frunk is excellent at cooling,

The Frunk is like a trunk, not cooled or heated. You can rig a 12v power fridge in there if you want.

Tesla is the better Taxi, as it shows with its popularity among customers, and owners themselves."
" The s class is not an important car and hasn't won the most important awards,nor as many accolades , as the Tesla.

It is getting bought as taxis in Amsterdam etc, Free fuel! It is the highest satisfaction rated car by owners in Consumer reports some 98 rating, and also by CR itself at 99. It won best overall car 2 years now. And the category never existed before they tested the Tesla. So they really like it. also has best in service by CR ratings. All these are way ahead of the 2nd and 3rd place etc. It has won a ton of awards.

And yes it did outsell the s class.

It did in 2013. It did NOT in 2014. it might be neck in neck in 2015. Both are way ahead of any other 100k car.

And currently doing better when you consider the supply constraints and 0 dollar advertisements for Tesla. "
"I don't see the s class winning overall best car of the year unlike The Tesla Model S has. Which is more luxirous and prestigous award.

Yes no advertising, And yet it won CR best overall car by alot. Here is the CR quote...

"For all of the impressive new vehicles released in 2014, none was able to eclipse the innovation, magnificence, and sheer technological arrogance of the Tesla. That’s why it’s our best overall pick for the second consecutive year. Through the course of their life cycles, cars become obsolete quickly as newer models appear with updated gizmos. But with Tesla’s over-the-air software updates, a Model S that came off the line in 2013 has many of the same new features as one built today. Despite the Tesla’s teething problems at launch, our subscriber reports showed average reliability. The Model S is a technological tour de force, a high-performance electric vehicle with usable real-world range, wrapped in a luxury package.

Tesla owners have agreed that the Model S offers a more luxurious package. The modern design is more ionic and fresh than the s class."

Yes Model S owners do agree on this point and feel the cool tech, drive, modern design outweigh the few Plushy Luxury features missing on some other 100k Luxury cars.

FOR EXAMPLE.. The new Motor Trend Magazine print edition, (but not updated on the web yet) the long term model S is at the end of its test and has to go back and the writer is very sad because he is now so used to the silent, instant, buttery soft and fluid drive train, he is regretting to have to go back to a Gas car.

95% of Tesla owners do get drugged by this every day and driving a gas car is very unsatisfying again no matter what price or power. I have a BMW and E350 BT and they feel archaic now after 3 mos of Tesla driving.

The 2012 BMW i drive is stupid. No other description, Its just the worst interface ever. The MB is much better but still inferior to the Tesla for sure.

To hear all that noise and think of everything going on to get you moving, and esp moving fast, is so disappointing now. A S550 may have the same performance, but the "drama" that goes on with the tranny and engine revving is horrible compared to electric. This makes the 95% overlook any other fault in the luxury of the car.

Why are there these hardcore fanboys who haven't spent 5 minutes in either car saying that one is better than the other?"

Its a new Future. The new generation of Ipad kids will surely pick a Tesla over the "button full" dash in other models. I have seen it in any under 25 year old I have shown the car too.

Last edited by drsaab; 02-28-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:48 AM

i think you misunderstood some parts of what we were talking about. I've already admitted its a fantastic car for the drive, but I'm talking about when you are being drove around in it. Not being the driver. It is basically fully loaded S Class interior vs fully loaded Model S interior.

Last edited by UrBusted; 03-01-2015 at 03:56 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:48 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
A $130K Tesla Model S is like a $130K S Class. Both start under $100K, and you can option them to be more luxurious/cool looking/faster. A'la S550 vs S63, etc. Never mind the lower S Class variations that start at much lower prices in ROW.

The P85D is a 4 door supercar in performance.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by K-A
A $130K Tesla Model S is like a $130K S Class. Both start under $100K, and you can option them to be more luxurious/cool looking/faster. A'la S550 vs S63, etc. Never mind the lower S Class variations that start at much lower prices in ROW.

America is much more well of in terms of the S Class compared to us Right Hand Drive countries. Here, a S350, decently optioned not even fully loaded, missing most luxury packages like the designo leather, rear seat entertainment, adjustable/heated rear seats and a few other packages costs the equivalent of 131,223 dollars.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by UrBusted
America is much more well of in terms of the S Class compared to us Right Hand Drive countries. Here, a S350, decently optioned not even fully loaded, missing most luxury packages like the designo leather, rear seat entertainment, adjustable/heated rear seats and a few other packages costs the equivalent of 131,223 dollars.
Never mind K-A's selective interpretation. In the US, a Tesla Model S starts in the $60k range, the S-Class in the $90k range. To call them both starting at below $100k creates a comparison when there is none.

Also, the Tesla is not a supercar nor will it ever be one. The D model goes very fast to 60 but that doesn't make it a supercar IMO. There are people put a 600hp in a 1980's Golf GTI. That car beats the Tesla but to me this isn't a supercar either.

The Tesla stands on its own merits but it these comparisons are silly...
Old 03-01-2015, 01:51 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by K-A

I'm not sure how much time you've spent behind the wheel of a P85D? I respect Tesla but it is no supercar. It's incredibly fast from 0-30 but quickly runs out of steam.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UrBusted
i think you misunderstood some parts of what we were talking about. I've already admitted its a fantastic car for the drive, but I'm talking about when you are being drove around in it. Not being the driver. It is basically fully loaded S Class interior vs fully loaded Model S interior.
yeah, that was determined 100 posts ago... the S class is 100 times better as a passenger.

Here in usa, we drive cars, not get driven around.

Last edited by drsaab; 03-01-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:18 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by G55K
I'm not sure how much time you've spent behind the wheel of a P85D? I respect Tesla but it is no supercar. It's incredibly fast from 0-30 but quickly runs out of steam.
Not a D, but a P85. Supercar performance in straight line speed (for the D), I should say. But for a somewhat massive 4 door, it also handles quite well and disguises its mass better (aesthetically and drive wise) better than an S63. Very low center of gravity, not as long, etc. The Model S is a sportier basis with more sporty intentions than any S Class. That's fine as an S Class isn't meant to be sporty, not even an S63 is you ask me, instead more a luxury chariot with the "beast" aspect dialed up or down.

I wouldn't even say that a Model S competes with an S Class directly, not at all. It competes with a Panamera more directly. A Panamera technically competes with an S, but even those are such different vehicles. The S is your classic 3 box luxury machine, the Panamera catering to a similar or same clientele but who need land yacht executive sedan size/nature, yet want more of a scaled up sports car in essence.

The Model S sits somewhere between an S Class and a 5 Series in terms of size and drive designation.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:44 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by K-A
Not a D, but a P85. Supercar performance in straight line speed (for the D), I should say. But for a somewhat massive 4 door, it also handles quite well and disguises its mass better (aesthetically and drive wise) better than an S63. Very low center of gravity, not as long, etc. The Model S is a sportier basis with more sporty intentions than any S Class. That's fine as an S Class isn't meant to be sporty, not even an S63 is you ask me, instead more a luxury chariot with the "beast" aspect dialed up or down.

I wouldn't even say that a Model S competes with an S Class directly, not at all. It competes with a Panamera more directly. A Panamera technically competes with an S, but even those are such different vehicles. The S is your classic 3 box luxury machine, the Panamera catering to a similar or same clientele but who need land yacht executive sedan size/nature, yet want more of a scaled up sports car in essence.

The Model S sits somewhere between an S Class and a 5 Series in terms of size and drive designation.
I had a D on order but, after borrowing my brothers for a week, I canceled my order. I really, really wanted to like the car but I was completely underwhelmed. So underwhelmed that I canceled my order.

I do agree that it shouldn't be compared to a S. They're very different cars. The S is a luxury car, the Tesla is not. I have a Panamera GTS, Mercedes 550, and a Ferrari FF in the garage right now. I was planning on trading in the Panamera for a D, but after spending time in one, I've decided to keep the Panamera. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Tesla but I find the car boring and the interior/refinement really lacking. But, my brother says it's the best car he's ever owned. I do understand the attraction to Tesla but it just doesn't check many of my boxes.

How do you like the Macan? My son has a white one, like yours, but it has the black wheels. What a great vehicle.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:59 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by G55K
I had a D on order but, after borrowing my brothers for a week, I canceled my order. I really, really wanted to like the car but I was completely underwhelmed. So underwhelmed that I canceled my order.

I do agree that it shouldn't be compared to a S. They're very different cars. The S is a luxury car, the Tesla is not. I have a Panamera GTS, Mercedes 550, and a Ferrari FF in the garage right now. I was planning on trading in the Panamera for a D, but after spending time in one, I've decided to keep the Panamera. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Tesla but I find the car boring and the interior/refinement really lacking. But, my brother says it's the best car he's ever owned. I do understand the attraction to Tesla but it just doesn't check many of my boxes.

How do you like the Macan? My son has a white one, like yours, but it has the black wheels. What a great vehicle.
What an awesome fleet! I can totally understand that. Yeah, the Tesla is something that either captures you or doesn't. I'm sort of in between. I have a ton of respect for it as you do, but for my own money, I keep veering toward something else. You and your brothers polarizing take on it really sums that car up.

Wow, good taste by your son, if I do say so myself! I assume he got them blacked out afterwards? That must look sweet. I wanted black (wheels) too but figured the Spyder wheels on mine are the closes to a "dark complexion" that I could get OEM on the car.

I really love it, and nice to see that it impresses you even coming from your experiences. It's really kind of the answer to all my automotive questions and/or dreams (as of now). A big part of that is that it has the best frontal headroom for my torso mostly height that I've ever experienced from a premium car (allowing us to unselect sunroof is a big reason for that, but it just makes for great vertical space up front regardless). The drive in utility, sportiness, luxury, etc. is something I never thought was really possible before. I drove one on a track back to back with Panamera GTS, 911 CS4, Cayman/Boxster GTS, and it was shocking and absolutely joyful to toss around. The mixture of its height and capabilities and Porsche sports car like DNA that breeds through is really interesting.

I got mine with the SportDesign Package to give it some extra bite in exterior (a'la AMG Sport or M Sport) even though the car won't be quite as common in its standard trim as the MB's and BMW that I recently came from, but having some variation is nice (and Porsche is great at catering to that enthusiast bone at a price as I'm sure you know). And I got the Air Suspension/PASM combo which gives it a lower and adjustable stance and provides either literally total flat and tight cornering or one of the most comfortable rides I've experienced.

All in all, they did a great job and I'm thankful that they thought of my apparently freakish vertical build (if going by other premium makes' headroom offerings are any indication, lol) so I could finally realize my Porsche dreams and feel safely and comfortably fitted into it.

Enjoy your rides.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
So some of you might remember me fondly from the infamous AMG Badass thread a while back that turned into a discussion about the Model S.

https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...amg-bad-4.html

So I've been off the Mercedes forum for a while immersed in the Tesla forums and I dropped by to see how things are going here and holly cow there is now a thread about the Model S... I guess the discussions on this thread about the Model S is a bit more on topic

So as some of you might know I had considered an S550 or a Model S and I ended up placing an order for a Model S P85D. After a couple of years of research and reading both the S class and Tesla forums extensively I decided a Model S was the best car for me.

Having seriously considered both vehicles I can tell you though that the only reason I can imagine picking the S class over the Model S is the interior but even that is with a caveat. I preferred the S550 interior and felt it was much more luxurious but having now owned my P85D for a little over a month I have absolutely no regrets as the power deliver, smoothness, quietness, and level of driving refinement of the Tesla is a whole different level higher than what I experienced in the S550.

Yes the S550 interior is nicer but the Tesla Next Gen seats are a lot better than what they had before and even after a month that 0-60 in 3s acceleration with 100% torque at 0 RPM is surreal. My Model S came to about $124K but from a performance standpoint I can't believe what a great bargain it is as it can leave pretty much the entirety of the Mercedes AMG lineup in the dust (along with a bunch of Lamborghinis and Ferraris that cost several times more than the Model S).

I've liked the Model S since my initial test drive but having owned this vehicle for close to a month I can say that I have never in my life been more excited about any car I have owned.

I can certainly understand people opting for the S class for the more luxurious interior but the technology in the Model S and their ability to update the car with software updates makes Mercedes' technology seem a bit ancient by comparison (we still own an E550 and a ML350).

Over the next couple of months I am expecting a software update to the "autopilot" capabilities of the Tesla. Basically the car has access to my calendar and when I have an appointment coming up that I need to drive to, the car will keep an eye on traffic conditions along my route and at the right time open the garage door, and all by itself pull up my driveway to my front door and wait for me to get in the car. I could not have imagined this level of sophistication in a car just 4 years ago and this is now real and only a software update away.

Mercedes, along with the rets of the Germans, has their work cut out for them. I can't imagine purchasing another car with a gasoline engine. I'll chime back again after about a year of ownership to share what I think of the Model S.

Elon Musk has announced a press conference for tomorrow apparently to announce that the range and performance of my car will be even better via a software update. Basically I am going to wake up one morning to find my car is even better. The Germans have yet to figure out how to do that and I am still a Mercedes enthusiast who hopes that the Germans figure out how to build a premium, long range, high performance EV before they loose more market share to Tesla.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: Question...If have you driven the Tesla model S vs S550, why did you choose the S550?