S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Rear Seat Fridge,Cabin Fragrance System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Rear Seat Fridge,Cabin Fragrance System

So, thought the fridge would be cool to have, ended up taking it out. I will probably take it on all day trips. It will hold like 4 16OZ bottles of water and then some sandwiches or upper ware containers of a salad or the like. Got to drive to Pittsburgh on business with two colleagues, about an 8 hour drive, so, we will all have luggage and the problem is if I put in the fridge it will make it hard to put 6 bags in the trunk, one small suitcase for each and a briefcase/laptop bag. In fact, it will make it close to impossible. But, I will take it just to see if it will be worth it in future. In the end and when it comes down to it I will leave it out, unless taking all day road trips and then the drawback is luggage space. it takes up quite a bit of space in trunk.

Finally, the Cabin Fragrance system. Been having a hard time finding the menu for adjustments. It's in the climate control section. I found it once and forgot how I got to it. I was looking in the vehicle settings section. So, got out the trusty manual and figured it out. My problem was I was getting no scent...none. Well, I had it turned off, and it will only work when the climate control section is set on AUTO. So, I'll try it for a few days and report back. I bought each scent they had just for the heck of it. I'm not much for cologne and never wear it, I have the scent set on high, we'll see if it is to much. Cologne and strong perfume really bother me....headache, sneezing, watery eyes.

Anyone else get the Cabin Fragrance System and if so, what's your experience with it, like it? or in hind sight could have done without it?
Old 04-01-2015, 07:32 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
I agree with you on the perfume thing.....had a loaner with it and it was HORRIBLE.......I'm not hard of smelling.......smelled like tea leaves too
Old 04-01-2015, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts
S560
I don't have the fridge so can't really comment. I also didn't know it was removable- that's cool. What bugs me is you can get aftermarket cooled collers that keep temps in the 40's for under $100...

I turned mine off for the first few months while that new car smell was noticeable. I now rotate it depending on mood. Two fast ways to get to the menu- pull the command wheel down once or twice until you get to the bottom of the screen and select the center menu icon or just hit the menu button on the dash.

When I do use it I keep it on the lowest setting.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 201 Posts
2022 EQS580
I did not order mine with the fridge due to the fact that it takes up trunk space.

As far as the fragrance system is concerned, I like it. I have it set on low and it does give out a pleasant aroma. By the way, when the one that came with the car ran out, I filled the container with my own cologne/perfume. There is no sense paying $100 or whatever it costs from the dealer.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by BKWard
So, thought the fridge would be cool to have, ended up taking it out. I will probably take it on all day trips. It will hold like 4 16OZ bottles of water and then some sandwiches or upper ware containers of a salad or the like. Got to drive to Pittsburgh on business with two colleagues, about an 8 hour drive, so, we will all have luggage and the problem is if I put in the fridge it will make it hard to put 6 bags in the trunk, one small suitcase for each and a briefcase/laptop bag. In fact, it will make it close to impossible. But, I will take it just to see if it will be worth it in future. In the end and when it comes down to it I will leave it out, unless taking all day road trips and then the drawback is luggage space. it takes up quite a bit of space in trunk.

Finally, the Cabin Fragrance system. Been having a hard time finding the menu for adjustments. It's in the climate control section. I found it once and forgot how I got to it. I was looking in the vehicle settings section. So, got out the trusty manual and figured it out. My problem was I was getting no scent...none. Well, I had it turned off, and it will only work when the climate control section is set on AUTO. So, I'll try it for a few days and report back. I bought each scent they had just for the heck of it. I'm not much for cologne and never wear it, I have the scent set on high, we'll see if it is to much. Cologne and strong perfume really bother me....headache, sneezing, watery eyes.

Anyone else get the Cabin Fragrance System and if so, what's your experience with it, like it? or in hind sight could have done without it?

I will wave at you when you go through Pittsburgh since I am in Pittsburgh.

I am glad I did not get the fridge due to the trunk space issue.

As far as the Fragrance system, I like it but generally keep it on the low setting or off since the highest setting makes my eyes water.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:17 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by BeanTrader
I did not order mine with the fridge due to the fact that it takes up trunk space.

As far as the fragrance system is concerned, I like it. I have it set on low and it does give out a pleasant aroma. By the way, when the one that came with the car ran out, I filled the container with my own cologne/perfume. There is no sense paying $100 or whatever it costs from the dealer.
I've seen the containers at discount stores.....a place that is known for cigars....and cheap cigg's, it's called J.R.'s, I get American spirits for 50 per carton
Old 04-01-2015, 07:02 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
I also didn't want the fridge in mine because of the space it uses. 90% of the time, its just me in the car, or a friend or so - unless of course I'm going to Marko Polo! But truthfully - I don't want anyone eating sandwiches or drinking anything in the car. Regardless Mercedes or not.

I ran out of the original fragrance so I replaced it with another scent (which I don't like) - have to remember the one I bought. Hoping it runs out quick. Can't bring myself to throw it out.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:24 AM

S550
Regarding the fridge and taking it out.......very, very, easy. To take it out you turn two screws, and unplug one wire then pull. Whole thing takes less than 3 minutes, little bit more putting in back as you must line up the holes. You do not need any tools, the two screws you turn have a knob attached and it stays attached when you take it out so no fear of loosing a screw or knob. All actions take place in trunk and you don't have to crawl in back seat for anything related to taking out the fridge.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,401 Likes on 1,940 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Like most others, I didn't order the fridge, as it takes up too much space in an already cramped trunk for such a large car. I would say that the vast majority of us normally drive our cars with either nobody in the back seats or possibly kids back there. With this in mind, I would MUCH prefer to see MB offer the option to get the S550 without reclining rear seats, but WITH the split/folding rear seat option as we have in my wife's E350. Every now and then, we have a need to transport something that won't easily fit in the trunk or the rear seat and the folding seats come in really handy. As for me, right where the fridge would be, sits a nice, never used, W221 compact spare wheel/tire. I can live without chilled water. I find it unsettling to drive without a spare.

Also, my 2015 has the fragrance gizmo, which I have never tried. I like my car to smell like a car, not perfume. Now, if they could somehow exactly match that aroma you get when you open the door of a brand new, leather lined MB on the showroom floor and make that scent available, I would definitely go for that.

Last edited by Streamliner; 04-02-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
So, thought the fridge would be cool to have, ended up taking it out.
Took it out but would not be willing to sell it I assume?
Old 04-02-2015, 07:14 PM

S550
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Took it out but would not be willing to sell it I assume?
NO, I am going to keep it. It is so easy to get in and out. Just two screws and one plug, you can install or take it out in like 2 minutes. It's out now, taking a 3 hour ride to the eastern shore of Delaware this evening, but I'll leave it out for just a 3 hour drive.

Next week doing a 8 to 9 hour drive to Pittsburgh, but will have two business associates with me for a total of three. So, may put it back in for that. Depends on how big their bags are. We are only staying two nights. So, I'm thinking small suitcase and combo laptop briefcase. But, they are two women and there is a dinner with band and entertainment after the all day business meetings so god knows. Anyway, if there is no room for all the luggage it comes out in under 2 minutes.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts
S560
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Like most others, I didn't order the fridge, as it takes up too much space in an already cramped trunk for such a large car. I would say that the vast majority of us normally drive our cars with either nobody in the back seats or possibly kids back there. With this in mind, I would MUCH prefer to see MB offer the option to get the S550 without reclining rear seats, but WITH the split/folding rear seat option as we have in my wife's E350. Every now and then, we have a need to transport something that won't easily fit in the trunk or the rear seat and the folding seats come in really handy. As for me, right where the fridge would be, sits a nice, never used, W221 compact spare wheel/tire. I can live without chilled water. I find it unsettling to drive without a spare.

Also, my 2015 has the fragrance gizmo, which I have never tried. I like my car to smell like a car, not perfume. Now, if they could somehow exactly match that aroma you get when you open the door of a brand new, leather lined MB on the showroom floor and make that scent available, I would definitely go for that.
Your must have some options taking up trunk space. My trunk is massive! I actually just made a Depot run today with it and the truck swallowed a 48" x 12" x 8" duct along with a plethora of collars and other stuff. It blows away the truck in my F02 7 series...
Old 04-04-2015, 01:25 PM

S 550
We don't have the fridge nor the power rear seats because we wanted to maintain as much trunk space as possible. Our back seats only have passengers less than 1% of the time so having the nicer rear seats was a low priority for us.
We do have and use the fragrance system. We keep it on the low setting, we like it and would buy it again.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 201 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by DaveVY
We don't have the fridge nor the power rear seats because we wanted to maintain as much trunk space as possible. Our back seats only have passengers less than 1% of the time so having the nicer rear seats was a low priority for us.
We do have and use the fragrance system. We keep it on the low setting, we like it and would buy it again.
Same here! I was told that there would be a bit of trunk space reduction with power rear seats. The rear seats for us are standard except they are heated when needed.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:02 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by BeanTrader
Same here! I was told that there would be a bit of trunk space reduction with power rear seats. The rear seats for us are standard except they are heated when needed.
hmmm, no one mentioned the reduction of trunk due to the recliners.....ignorance IS bliss
Old 04-22-2015, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
For the W22, there are 2 versions of the Fridge, one for the recliner option, and that one is the one with the part number A2228200206 (long), and one for the non-recliner seat option has the part number A2228200006 (short) - or it could be the reverse of what I am saying. I think the difference is the length of the "snout" that pokes through the rear backrest.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:13 AM

S550
In regards to the fridge, even if you take it out you still loose space because of the fridge. The trunk is different due to the way you attach the fridge, so when you take it out you gain space, but not all the space of a car without it. If I had to do it again I probably would not buy it, but since I did I'll make the best of it. I'm sure I'll use it sometime.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
In regards to the fridge, even if you take it out you still loose space because of the fridge. The trunk is different due to the way you attach the fridge, so when you take it out you gain space, but not all the space of a car without it. If I had to do it again I probably would not buy it, but since I did I'll make the best of it. I'm sure I'll use it sometime.
I'm afraid that is not correct. The only difference at the trunk side is the flat door that really does not take any space. This door actually comes with the ski-bag option (necessary for the fridge).

Sounds like you are comparing a car without 223/224 rear seats with a car with a fridge and 223/224 rear seats where the difference comes from the seats, not from the fridge.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:44 AM

S550
OK......I stand corrected.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Well how did your trip go with that fridge?

Regards

Nuru
Old 11-08-2015, 01:38 PM

Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts
S600
I have the Fridge in my S600:: I can get 12 12oz cans in it. Its OK, but I could take it or leave it.

The air freshener has never been used, nor do I expect to ever use is.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Revive.... What is the correct part number(s) to retrofit the fridge is a W222 2014 with executive rear seating (4 Passenger only setup). It has a solid back below the DVD player.....
Old 08-07-2018, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 913 Likes on 601 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Originally Posted by Streamliner

Have you considered putting a cow in the back seat to maintain that “new” leather smell?