MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W222) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222-178/)
-   -   New W222 or wait for new E class? (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222/580959-new-w222-wait-new-e-class.html)

1guitar 04-07-2015 11:48 PM

New W222 or wait for new E class?

Over the last 20+ years I've been driving S class cars, back in 2010 I wanted to try the new E class since I'm usually the only one in the car. I've had my E class for 5 years now and it's more fun to drive an E class versus an S because you're simply more in touch with the road. I love the look of the new S class but it's like driving a battleship, the E class lets you actually really feel the road which the S does not. This question is for those folks that have actually driven both, would you buy your new S again or wait for the new E class body style, the W213, any replies would be appreciated, thanks.
Doc

Jason B 04-07-2015 11:59 PM

I can predict the majority of replies on this one. S class or no class :)

pamiboy 04-08-2015 12:41 AM

I haven't driven the S class but the logical answer to your question would be to wait till the new E class is available then test drive and compare both.

UrBusted 04-08-2015 04:06 AM

It would depend on the sort of person you are. For me, this S Class is years better than the 221 S Class, but some people feel otherwise. I'm sure the dealer won't mind giving you a test driver, or perhaps an extended test drive because of the amount of Mercedes' you have bought.

ajm0623 04-08-2015 07:03 AM

the new e will look substantially the same as the s (and c for that matter). benzo is moving to the homogenized look of their three historical (c,e,s) lines (small, medium, large, if you will) so if you love the look of the s as you say but prefer the ride of the e - my advice - since you are soliciting same - is to wait. you'll get the look of the s with the ride of the e, which apparently you prefer. win-win.

hyperion667 04-08-2015 09:20 AM

lol at Battleship.........:)
you get used to the size.......it is kind of like a boat though :)

pdeacon 04-08-2015 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by 1guitar (Post 6392292)
Over the last 20+ years I've been driving S class cars, back in 2010 I wanted to try the new E class since I'm usually the only one in the car. I've had my E class for 5 years now and it's more fun to drive an E class versus an S because you're simply more in touch with the road. I love the look of the new S class but it's like driving a battleship, the E class lets you actually really feel the road which the S does not. This question is for those folks that have actually driven both, would you buy your new S again or wait for the new E class body style, the W213, any replies would be appreciated, thanks.
Doc

I have owned both models over the years. The E is definitely a sportier ride and easier to maneauver. The S is luxurious and sometimes daunting with it's size. Especially if you spend a lot of time in the city with cramped parking spaces and parking garages. I guess it comes down to how you intend to use the car and how comfortable you want to be. I continue to be impressed wit the performance of the S given it's size and weight. For me, it is more comfortable for longer trips. Of course my age may have something to do with my choice. Fewer business trips, less commuting and infrequent trips to the city. I have an E Coupe and as good as it is, it can't hold a candle to the S. Actually apples and oranges.

dingmah 04-08-2015 11:19 AM

W222 S-Class all the way, because it is the most luxurious car that Mercedes makes. You feel like a million bucks when you sit in the interior, and this never gets boring. The S-Class also has enough oomph to get you into dangerous speed territory as well if you really want to get your fill of need for speed.

AppleFan1 04-08-2015 12:37 PM

Maybe it's because I'm getting up there in years now, but I also felt the same way when I was much younger. Why do people want to feel every bump on the road? To me, the more comfortable the ride is, the better. There is no comparison between the S Class and there E Class. If money is not a factor, go with the S Class.

hyperion667 04-08-2015 04:42 PM

since when is money not a factor Bean? :)

BklynMarc 04-08-2015 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by 1guitar (Post 6392292)
Doc

This is a great question. I've driven an E class for the last ten years and thought I would replace my current car with another E, for similar reasons that you've stated (i.e., smaller, nimble, road feel). But then I sat in the back seat of the W222 and have driven a few and feel it might be time to move up to an S class.

Like you, I'm usually the only one in the car. But then I look at my son in the back seat (he's 7) and growing like crazy and just think the extra space would be great.

Ideally, a LWB E class would be perfect -- more room in the back while not as imposing as the S class. If you can, waiting until you see the new W213 might be the best bet. That said, I've driven the new C and the S; if the new E is anything like those two, you will be pleased.

Mitch Alsup 04-08-2015 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by hyperion667 (Post 6393053)

When you want a V12.......

Streamliner 04-08-2015 10:51 PM

My wife drives a 2010 E350 and we have a 2016 on order for her. When I drive her car, I am always impressed with it and tell myself that I should be driving one. But then, when I get back into my 2015 S550, all thoughts of ever even considering the E for myself are gone in an instant. If you want the best ride quality, silent luxury and opulence inside, there is no choice other than the W222.

wilassasin 04-08-2015 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by pamiboy (Post 6392329)
I haven't driven the S class but the logical answer to your question would be to wait till the new E class is available then test drive and compare both.

+1
Although I have test driven a 222 I would still recommend you wait for the new E to come out, especially since you have the patience. The S will still be here at that time if you choose not to get the E.

hyperion667 04-09-2015 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by wilassasin (Post 6393500)
+1
Although I have test driven a 222 I would still recommend you wait for the new E to come out, especially since you have the patience. The S will still be here at that time if you choose not to get the E.

are you a police? how can you manage an S class?
or are you an assassin? then I could understand......but if the second choice; why MB? why not something more??:nix:

yo1234 04-09-2015 08:29 AM

I would go for the S-Class simply because it is MB's flagship model. The E-Class is also usually MB's last car to get updated and therefore is always the last to get "new" technology.

If you wanting to wait for the new E you must as well consider waiting for the facelift s-class.

wilassasin 04-09-2015 10:39 AM

:violent::violent::violent::violent::smokin::smoki n::smokin:

Originally Posted by hyperion667 (Post 6393774)
or are you an assassin? then I could understand......but if the second choice; why MB? why not something more??:nix:

A little of both...I do have something more, I just dont have all my vehicles posted here only two...Let's keep the feds out of this.;)

BluetecKING 04-09-2015 06:10 PM

I compared my e-class with the w221 s-class and made the wrong decision. I thought it would be better to buy the ml and e. I made a very bad decision. The ML is cheap and not well made. While the E class is nice but the infotainment system is horrible.

Streamliner 04-09-2015 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by BluetecKING (Post 6394513)
I compared my e-class with the w221 s-class and made the wrong decision. I thought it would be better to buy the ml and e. I made a very bad decision. The ML is cheap and not well made. While the E class is nice but the infotainment system is horrible.

I made the ML mistake as well. I traded my 2013 S550 for a 2014 ML350BT. I ordered the ML with AirMatic and Active Curve--which were almost $5K in suspension upgrades, only to be very unhappy in the ride over anything other than ribbon smooth surfaces. I call it a "cheap pick-up truck" ride. I actually liked most other things about the ML and would have kept it as a utility vehicle, even when I ordered my 2015 S550, but I just couldn't handle that "bucket of bolts" crummy ride. MB could have and should have engineered the suspension on the ML for a greater degree of refinement, but they didn't and that's a shame.

Red Marko 04-09-2015 06:43 PM

Whoever choses E over S, must be heavily involved in S&M stuff.

BluetecKING 04-09-2015 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 6394538)
I made the ML mistake as well. I traded my 2013 S550 for a 2014 ML350BT. I ordered the ML with AirMatic and Active Curve--which were almost $5K in suspension upgrades, only to be very unhappy in the ride over anything other than ribbon smooth surfaces. I call it a "cheap pick-up truck" ride. I actually liked most other things about the ML and would have kept it as a utility vehicle, even when I ordered my 2015 S550, but I just couldn't handle that "bucket of bolts" crummy ride. MB could have and should have engineered the suspension on the ML for a greater degree of refinement, but they didn't and that's a shame.

I didn't buy any of the fancy stuff, just the basics because my wife wanted blue and they had it on the lot so I just bought it. I also believe that the suspension upgrades wouldn't do much with NYC potholes. The lights in the back didn't work from the day I got it. There are 3/4 inch gaps in the center stack. My number two choice was the VW Toureg TDI, which I should have got. The ML looks sorta nice with the lighting package but that's about it. Overall I completely agree there is so much more technology in the C-class, mind you it costs less than an ML. Mercedes really needs to step-up the suvs, besides the G.

C280 Sport 04-09-2015 07:16 PM

I have always had the E and S since day one. Of course the old E and S are so much different compared to the new ones you are looking for. Just drive both and see what you like best. I like the S for the space, comfort and attention to detail. I do like the E because for me it is a perfect size car. My 212 has the Sport Package so it can take the corners decently and has the 4Matic. When it comes to a W222 as I have stated in my review of it on forums to me it is hands down the most beautiful and well crafted sedan on the road except for a RR or Bentley.

wilassasin 06-12-2015 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by hyperion667 (Post 6393774)

Where did you go? I expected a response by now since I answered your blatant question. Let me find out that you're nolonger HYPER about the Mercedes brand MR. I hope I answered all of your questions, I mean how on earth did you manage to actually own two MB's, that is just an absolute amazing accomplishment. Wow, two... some people just have all the money.:nix:. Me, Well maybe I'm just a broke azz COP that got lucky I guess, or some form of officer or assasin lol. If it wasn't for this car, I would probably be able to own a home just like you. Then again probably not,YOU'RE THE MAN!

wilassasin 06-12-2015 12:10 AM

:wtf:

LovinMercedes 06-12-2015 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by hyperion667 (Post 6393053)

I don't think that is what he was saying. I think his point was that if money does not enter into making the decision.

Surely, not everyone thinks about the money when choosing a car, while others do. No right or wrong here, just the way it is.