New 7 Series

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 04:07 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2012 W221 S63, 2016 W166 GLE350d
New 7 Series

Hi!

What are your thoughts and opinion of the new 7 and how does it compare to the S-Class? Pros and cons?
Old 06-11-2015, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Mercedes S will always be #1. History repeats itself with this one.

The 7 does have some cool fun features like the remote self parking. Some will buy just for that reason.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:27 AM

Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts
S600
It's OK, nothing to write home about compared to the W222.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:26 AM

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
It was shown in the W221 and the 7 Series, even thought he 7 Series was a bit better during the period before the facelift of the S Class, everyone still bought the S Class, because, well, a S Class is a S Class.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 GLC300, 2015 S550 4Matic LWB
I really don't like the front end on the 7 Series. It looks very Hyundai-esque.

The interior is pretty ho-hum too. It looks very standard BMW-fare, but then again, BMW has always had very nice interiors. So it doesn't have that wow factor like the drastic change from W221 to W222 interior.

Remote parking is really cool. Not sure I'd use it at all when parking into a spot that has sufficient space to open the doors. Only would use it in super tight spots. But then again, I would never park a nice luxo barge in tight parking spots.

BMW has the best HUD in the business, and certainly this new improved HUD kicks it up another notch.

The air gestures look interesting. But I think I would feel stupid waving my hand back and forth in mid-air trying to change the volume. Solution to a problem that was already solved by the knob.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 S550, 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV
It's interesting that the 7er debuts 2yrs after the 222, then the A8 arrives 2yrs after that. Maybe each will have its time in the sun. Hope the facelift really impresses because I am seriously going to look at the 2018 A8...
Every C-Klasse I see on the road, and believe me there are a ton of them in Socal already, is an affront to every S-Klasse owner. Especially the C's with the S-Klasse grill and hood ornament, that's insult upon injury how similar the models look...
Old 06-11-2015, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Well, the self-parking will not be available in the US (or if, the person has to sit inside the car).
Also, the laser light is also not coming to the US. Thank DOT for that, just like the full-featured LED light for Mercedes.

The smart key is a joke. It's like having another phone in your pocket (size-wise) and better yet, it has to be charged like a phone as well. There is wireless charging in the car, so this may not be a big deal, but the size is a turn-off.

I couldn't imagine myself using the gesture control, but the wight savings by using carbon fiber bits will be very helpful.

Since BMW copied just about everything else from the current S-Class, it should be a very nice but unexciting looking car.

Here are some of the BMW features taken from the S-Class:

Height adjustable Air suspension - check
Road Preview aka MB Magic Body Control - check
Panorama roof - check
Aluminum buttons/knobs, no more plastic - check
Leather options with cross-stitching - check
Extended rear seats with recline function - check
Pull-out table option - check
Better massage functions - check
Lots of ambient light functions - check
Fragrance option - check

I assume it will be the best 7 series to date but was hoping for improved exterior
Old 06-11-2015, 04:50 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
hmmm, never been a bmw guy, I wouldn't even know what to compare them too...I've heard lots of negative things about them however......
Old 06-11-2015, 11:54 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
BMW/A/P not particularly well-known for competent active/passive safety engineering....think BMW crash tests/BMW M's weak brakes/dubious computer glitches of any of these cos.in era when much of active/passive safety depends upon myriads of fault-resistant hardware/software networks (think Takata airbags)/P's PCCBs that don't work well in wet conds., etc etc

MB went through its era ~10-15yrs ago of intro'g cool-sounding stuff that was rather fail-prone (and put owners' health at risk when fails occurred on-road/at-speed); most owners' time is too valuable to visit dealers to solve this crap that should have been solved by competent R&D at cos. that spend way too much money on marketing/sales/sloganeering rather than competent engineering, as judged by repeat buyers who have basic sense of engineering competence (not journo ******)

Suspect MB may be losing way again w/rather mockable junk like MCT in 63s and jerky 7sp boxes (and idiotic buggy crap like Start-Stop) in 65s: perhaps only saved by fact that they may be tallest midget in room vs P or A or BMW....which have far bigger basic engineering ineptitudes

Suspect pool of competent engineers in auto industry is rather shallow and elderly, given any smart <25yo can earn >>$1MM/yr as a SV software engineer (and drive own new leased 65, replaced annually, much like a leased iphone) rather than working some low-wage job at any auto co. on planet
Old 06-12-2015, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by WSH
BMW/A/P not particularly well-known for competent active/passive safety engineering....think BMW crash tests/BMW M's weak brakes/dubious computer glitches of any of these cos.in era when much of active/passive safety depends upon myriads of fault-resistant hardware/software networks (think Takata airbags)/P's PCCBs that don't work well in wet conds., etc etc

MB went through its era ~10-15yrs ago of intro'g cool-sounding stuff that was rather fail-prone (and put owners' health at risk when fails occurred on-road/at-speed); most owners' time is too valuable to visit dealers to solve this crap that should have been solved by competent R&D at cos. that spend way too much money on marketing/sales/sloganeering rather than competent engineering, as judged by repeat buyers who have basic sense of engineering competence (not journo ******)

Suspect MB may be losing way again w/rather mockable junk like MCT in 63s and jerky 7sp boxes (and idiotic buggy crap like Start-Stop) in 65s: perhaps only saved by fact that they may be tallest midget in room vs P or A or BMW....which have far bigger basic engineering ineptitudes

Suspect pool of competent engineers in auto industry is rather shallow and elderly, given any smart <25yo can earn >>$1MM/yr as a SV software engineer (and drive own new leased 65, replaced annually, much like a leased iphone) rather than working some low-wage job at any auto co. on planet

I just love reading your posts man!

M
Old 06-12-2015, 12:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 S550 4matic (AMG sport package), 2016 Corvette Stingray.
I just Love, love, love the bimmer and 2b honest anyone who's ever owned one knows just how close these two brands are when it comes to deciding which to purchase. The 7 series has fallen to the "S" in some ways in my personal opinion; however, brand for brand it depends on the the model you choose. The 7 has become a little BLAH to me (unless u consider the msport), while Mercedes struggles on blending sportiness with luxury. Seems that MB is gaining ground in that area tho.

Last edited by wilassasin; 06-14-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:42 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Gotta see it in person. All the pro pictures look nice - albeit not much of a change from current. The front grille looks sleek, and I think continues with BMWs direction which is a good thing.

Not quite sure the back looks German anymore, instead taking a Japanese / Lexus influence. Maybe I am wrong, what do you all think?

Agree on the gimmicks. Parking feature is great, and I'd be that sucker who buys the car for that. Its cool, let's admit that. It's very cool. The key looks great, and futuristic.

Re: Gesture Control. Folks, that's nonsense. All our cars have the same buttons on our steering wheel. They were put on the steering wheel so that we, the driver, can keep our eyes on the road. Phone rings? Press the button. Want to raise the volume? Button is there too. It's pretty easy - I don't think I ever use the knob on the dash anymore. No need. BMW believes its easier to, sashay our wrists to raise the volume instead of push the button where our hands are already positioned on the steering wheel? Guess we will see, but that's a long shot.

Seats look great. I disagree that they copied Mercedes. Bentley has had cross stitching for years, did MB copy them? No. I think they did a great job with the seats and the design of them. They look comfortable, and we have to see it to feel it.

Ambient lighting - again - did they copy MB? Or is this the future of automotive design. Range Rover has it in their Long Wheel Base ( and maybe other versions of the RR). Did they copy MB? Who knows. Who cares? It looks great, and car design is supposed to please the eye of the buyer. Good job here.

Looks to me the front door is a bit longer than previous (current) generation which is great. Pops has a 750Li X Drive individual (GORGEOUS CAR). The front door is pretty small and I always feel cramped exiting and entering. Feels like I have to lean forward to get out instead of just get out. I don't get that from my Mercedes at all. This could be a big improvement.

Interior dash - I am not sold. This may be because I am spoiled from Dad's individual. That's a very big possibility. I'm getting bored with my S Class and am looking into getting an upgraded version with Designo interior, etc. I was not at ALL impressed with "regular" 7 series because I felt the interior had way too much plastic and cheap feeling materials, as well as boring bland design. The individual takes that and ups the standard to unheard of levels, which I can photograph if anyone would like to see. It's really Bentley Rolls Royce Standards, not BMW. I suspect the Individual verison of this new model will be outrageous, especially with the beautiful seats, etc.

Curious if BMW learned anything from the backlash of the Run Flat Tires debacle. Hope they offer the option of changing to standard tires (and offer a spare).

Can't really say more till we sit in it when the dealerships start getting their Demos.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 CLS550 4Matic; 2014 GL350; 2015 GL63; 2016 GTS; 2021 G63
Originally Posted by 714Merc
It's interesting that the 7er debuts 2yrs after the 222, then the A8 arrives 2yrs after that. Maybe each will have its time in the sun. Hope the facelift really impresses because I am seriously going to look at the 2018 A8...
Every C-Klasse I see on the road, and believe me there are a ton of them in Socal already, is an affront to every S-Klasse owner. Especially the C's with the S-Klasse grill and hood ornament, that's insult upon injury how similar the models look...
I totally agree with you about how much the C looks like the S now. I was always very pleased with how MB kept all their cars looking different (unlike Audi, which is a pet peeve of mine). However, they really dropped the ball with how much the C deceptively looks like an S from a distance.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by doctorG
I totally agree with you about how much the C looks like the S now. I was always very pleased with how MB kept all their cars looking different (unlike Audi, which is a pet peeve of mine). However, they really dropped the ball with how much the C deceptively looks like an S from a distance.
This will get worse when you see the new E-Class...

It is an unfortunate reality that German automakers have moved to; same sausage, different length: Audi, BMW, Mercedes.

This wouldn't happen unless it makes good financial sense.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:05 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
out of curiosity I went to the BMW site, couldn't even get past that bland (IMO) styling,
and having to actually add things like soft close doors at that price point is kind of silly...the Li x drive is the example I was using as it's priced as S class at 94
Old 06-12-2015, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Chucky300
Gotta see it in person. All the pro pictures look nice - albeit not much of a change from current. The front grille looks sleek, and I think continues with BMWs direction which is a good thing.

Not quite sure the back looks German anymore, instead taking a Japanese / Lexus influence. Maybe I am wrong, what do you all think?

Agree on the gimmicks. Parking feature is great, and I'd be that sucker who buys the car for that. Its cool, let's admit that. It's very cool. The key looks great, and futuristic.

Re: Gesture Control. Folks, that's nonsense. All our cars have the same buttons on our steering wheel. They were put on the steering wheel so that we, the driver, can keep our eyes on the road. Phone rings? Press the button. Want to raise the volume? Button is there too. It's pretty easy - I don't think I ever use the knob on the dash anymore. No need. BMW believes its easier to, sashay our wrists to raise the volume instead of push the button where our hands are already positioned on the steering wheel? Guess we will see, but that's a long shot.

Seats look great. I disagree that they copied Mercedes. Bentley has had cross stitching for years, did MB copy them? No. I think they did a great job with the seats and the design of them. They look comfortable, and we have to see it to feel it.

Ambient lighting - again - did they copy MB? Or is this the future of automotive design. Range Rover has it in their Long Wheel Base ( and maybe other versions of the RR). Did they copy MB? Who knows. Who cares? It looks great, and car design is supposed to please the eye of the buyer. Good job here.

Looks to me the front door is a bit longer than previous (current) generation which is great. Pops has a 750Li X Drive individual (GORGEOUS CAR). The front door is pretty small and I always feel cramped exiting and entering. Feels like I have to lean forward to get out instead of just get out. I don't get that from my Mercedes at all. This could be a big improvement.

Interior dash - I am not sold. This may be because I am spoiled from Dad's individual. That's a very big possibility. I'm getting bored with my S Class and am looking into getting an upgraded version with Designo interior, etc. I was not at ALL impressed with "regular" 7 series because I felt the interior had way too much plastic and cheap feeling materials, as well as boring bland design. The individual takes that and ups the standard to unheard of levels, which I can photograph if anyone would like to see. It's really Bentley Rolls Royce Standards, not BMW. I suspect the Individual verison of this new model will be outrageous, especially with the beautiful seats, etc.

Curious if BMW learned anything from the backlash of the Run Flat Tires debacle. Hope they offer the option of changing to standard tires (and offer a spare).

Can't really say more till we sit in it when the dealerships start getting their Demos.
They will have run flats as far as I heard.

You are right about BMW individual. I saw a few of the pics you had posted and they interior quality is dramatically better. It is pricier than Designo, but you are getting more as well.

The reason I was listing these features as a carbon copy is that BMW simply didn't have those features of their cars until the W222 came along. Of course they could have copied from someone else, but the execution of the options are eerily familiar to the S-Class.

Now the wireless charging of phones sounds nice and I am sure that the Internet speed will be much better than MB's (which is a joke).
I don't like the built-in (& removable) Samsung tablet in the rear armrest; they should have used Apple CarPlay instead or it's Android equivalent.

I do like the light carpet though.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 S550, 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV
Originally Posted by doctorG
Maybe I'm being shallow, but when a 5 time S-Klasse owners needs to stare at a car to recognize a C-Klasse from an S, it's just not right...

That's so true about Audi, but at least this new A8 will have the prologue concept design first, until it trickles down the chain. I'm hoping MB really wows me with thr new front/rear lights for the facelift; and throws in much more tech...

The BMW options for paint/leathers make Mercedes look like complete rubes. So many nice choices to configure a 7 with...

Last edited by 714Merc; 06-12-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
I think the fact that the C class resembles a mini-S is pretty cool actually. As a 2015 C-Class owner, I love that it is able to retain the styling cues from the S and the same navi software/features at a much lower price point. Of course, the ride, finish, and interior do not compare to the W222 at all - the W222 came with seamless gaps/panels while my 2015 C came with misaligned taillamps.

However, when it comes to the 7, I think BMW has it worse. All of their cars look EXACTLY the same and the new 7 looks barely different than the outgoing model. I've never been a 7 fan really (and BMW dealers in LA rather ignore you than give you better offers than Mercedes dealers), and I much rather have the S. I do have to say though, that Merc cheaped out a little on the W222 - there is still MB-Tex everywhere in my W222 with standard leather, and the wood trim/metal looks more plastic coated than anything. The 7 may have a slight advantage there.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by amaycg
I think the fact that the C class resembles a mini-S is pretty cool actually. As a 2015 C-Class owner, I love that it is able to retain the styling cues from the S and the same navi software/features at a much lower price point. Of course, the ride, finish, and interior do not compare to the W222 at all - the W222 came with seamless gaps/panels while my 2015 C came with misaligned taillamps. However, when it comes to the 7, I think BMW has it worse. All of their cars look EXACTLY the same and the new 7 looks barely different than the outgoing model. I've never been a 7 fan really (and BMW dealers in LA rather ignore you than give you better offers than Mercedes dealers), and I much rather have the S. I do have to say though, that Merc cheaped out a little on the W222 - there is still MB-Tex everywhere in my W222 with standard leather, and the wood trim/metal looks more plastic coated than anything. The 7 may have a slight advantage there.
Leather dash doesn't come standard with the S-Class or BMW 7 series and never has before. So no changes really. BMW has the alcantara headliner (aka dynamica) as a free option; that would be nice to have for MB as well. I personally couldn't imagine picking fabric over alcantara. Looks/feels better and is easier to clean.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S550
I saw an article in a major U.S. magazine that lists the BMW 7 series as one of the top 10 worse sedans to own. I think it was Fortune Magazine on-line. Anyone else see it?

Beige/Espresso Brown Exclusive Nappa Leather
Head-Up Display
20" Wheels
Splitview
Rear Seat and Executive Rear seat Packages
Warmth & Comfort Control
Surround View Camera
Driver Assist Package
Rear Seat Entertainment Package
Sport Package
Premium 1 Package
Comfort Box
Old 06-15-2015, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by hyperion667
out of curiosity I went to the BMW site, couldn't even get past that bland (IMO) styling,
and having to actually add things like soft close doors at that price point is kind of silly...the Li x drive is the example I was using as it's priced as S class at 94
Well, what I did notice was prices have really fallen on the 7, price starts around $74k. That one heck of a lower price point, when it wasn't that long ago that both S and & 7 were priced close for base models. So soft close doors and taking things off, is making them competitive.

Originally Posted by amaycg
Merc cheaped out a little on the W222 - there is still MB-Tex everywhere in my W222 with standard leather, and the wood trim/metal looks more plastic coated than anything. The 7 may have a slight advantage there.
Actually, be happy about that. MB-Tex wears better than any leather will and no one in the car is going to really know it's not all leather except you, or another educated s class owner, maybe...

Last edited by Jason B; 06-15-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jason B
Well, what I did notice was prices have really fallen on the 7, price starts around $74k. That one heck of a lower price point, when it wasn't that long ago that both S and & 7 were priced close for base models. So soft close doors and taking things off, is making them competitive.
The website still shows the old model and the price is for the 6 cylinder model.

The new 750 (LWB only in the US) starts at $97k, so it is in line with the S550. Price for options are far cheaper however and the car is better equipped than a base Mercedes.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:45 PM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
2006 C55
Originally Posted by Jason B
Mercedes S will always be #1. History repeats itself with this one.

The 7 does have some cool fun features like the remote self parking. Some will buy just for that reason.
Pretty much this
Old 06-16-2015, 04:14 PM

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Originally Posted by Wolfman
The website still shows the old model and the price is for the 6 cylinder model.

The new 750 (LWB only in the US) starts at $97k, so it is in line with the S550. Price for options are far cheaper however and the car is better equipped than a base Mercedes.
It's pretty much always been like that.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:12 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mercedes S550
New 7

I never judge a car by the photos. That said, the new 7 doesn't look dramatically different from the old model.

I really like the comfort seats in the 7. I hate having to go through the controller to adjust lumbar.

Overall, this S is probably my favorite sedan to date. I am really spoiled now. It will be hard to give it up at the end of my lease.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New 7 Series