S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Eight months and 8000 miles later...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S550
Eight months and 8000 miles later...

...it still brings a smile to my face every time I see it. I am a first time S class owner and here are my experiences with the W222 so far:

1) The electronics safety nannies ie Driver Assistance Package: maybe this is too much of a good thing, because I think it turns you into a worse/inattentive driver in the long run. Definitely not proud of this but already on several occasions, the collision warning, lane departure warning, pre-safe braking, etc, have saved my behind from a potential accident. I'm so used to and reliant on the warning triangles on the mirrors when changing lanes now that when I occasionally drive my old car I forget that its not there and I still have to manually turn and look at the blind spots. Also with the distronic radar cruise control on, the car knows the curvature of the road/lanes such that very little effort is needed to steer the vehicle and center it on the lane. The steering wheel subtly nudges itself in the right direction along curved roads. The car definitely has a mind of its own which is disconcerting at first, until you get used to trusting it and then driving the S class is all too effortless! I do notice though that while drifting right onto bike lane at the end of a block in order to make a right turn, the lane departure system sometimes forcibly brakes the right wheels and makes an uncomfortable jolt before the car lets you overrule it, this is pretty annoying. Other than that, Mercedes did a really superb job integrating the driver assistance features into the car.

2) For the most part I've totally babied the car and have been driving my S class like an old granny would...I don't think I've even spun the engine past 3500 rpm more than once! I do a 50/50 mix of suburban and freeway driving in southern California...and thus far the car gets me only 19.2mpg combined. Yes the A/C and massage seats are usually on, but I would have thought that I would get at least low 20s the way I'm delicately driving it. Is that too much to ask for? Low 20s? S class owners are not strapped for gas money, but it is annoying that mileage isn't any better. I don't understand why Mercedes does not offer S350, etc, in the North American market like they do overseas. Yes its great to have an enormous amount of untapped power on reserve with the S550, but I seldom use it. Had a lower engine spec been available I personally would have opted for that. (S550e was not quite available yet when I got my car...)

3) Unless I am truly in a rush, being stuck in traffic in an S class really isn't that bad. The plush interior makes the weekday commute a lot more tolerable, and makes weekend getaways that much more enjoyable. Whereas I am not in relaxation mode until I get home after work with other cars, I'm in relax mode the moment I step out the office and hop into the S550. The comfy massage seats effectively makes my work day shorter and that's priceless! I am also so used to the side bolsters on the dynamic seats I wonder if my back muscles have atrophied since I can hardly keep myself sitting upright cornering in other cars now. Eight months ago the dynamic seats felt so unnatural, and now this morning I had to double check that they are still engaged on because they work so seamlessly and I am so used to it.

4) What's up with the ground clearance? Around ramps into street corner plazas I always feel like I'm close to scrapping bottom. (I'm pretty sure I've heard a couple of bottom scrapes...arghhhhh!!) And the button to raise the suspension does not seem to work very fast...certainly cannot wait for it while there's traffic behind you. I tend to leave the suspension permanently raised around local streets. Other than that, the car is surprisingly maneuverable. The surround view camera system is also amazingly useful (except the few random times when it was not available... not sure why that happens sometimes) and makes driving around tight spaces a breeze. The surround camera should come standard as I don't see how one can park well without it. The self parking assist feature is pretty nifty to show off to passengers, but I personally do not use it much.

5) Been to a couple of nice restaurants where the valets parked my car out front by the Ferraris and Aston Martins...nice! And I often randomly overhear people noticing or otherwise paying compliments about the car while walking past it. You can be in a ragged T-Shirt and flip flops and still look like a baller with the S class. The car has undeniable presence and status.

6) I find myself checking out other people's S class' a lot...the car looks good from all angles no matter the color / wheel / +-AMGbody combo. At the LA auto show I saw a few cars with aggressive body kits like Lorinser, etc, but I didn't like them on the W222. I liked those kits on the W221 but I don't think they work as well on the W222.

7) Only once did I put the car into sport mode and go petal to the metal along some winding canyon roads. The handling is gravity defying amazing for a car this size...dances like a big linebacker after returning an interception for a TD. I can only imagine what a S63 or S65 could do.

8)The navigation system is not so great. In my experience also the voice command feature for entering addresses is horrendous...even with perfect pronunciation it still picks up the wrong street name or city. I still use my phone for navigation.

9) I find the adaptive headlights to work flawlessly and its a useful feature. I don't have the upgraded sound system but even then the interior sound is fantastic. I didn't get Designo either but the Nappa leather is really nice already! One thing I wish I got was heads up display.

10) Now that I have owned an S550, I don't know how I can ever go back to another car. I considered a preowned Bentley Flying Spur before deciding on the new S class because its much more practical. For the price, the S class is an absolute bargain all things considered; its a whole lot of refined car for the money. But with a lot of the cutting edge technology and features trickling down to other cars, and a E class/5 series/A6 being 60% of the cost of the S550, my brain says the S class still doesn't really make financial sense, especially if you rarely carry backseat passengers. That being said, my heart says I am very happy I got this car.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 S550 4matic
SHHKNewport

you just reminded me that I have a lot of catching up to do having let a month pass without really experiencing the S550! I have been out of town evry other week and when I was home there was still snow on the (runflats) ground thoufgh I have 4matic. I am, as you mentioned, "totally babied" my S but that will end soon and you have inspired me! Thanks
Old 02-29-2016, 08:30 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
very nice write up SHHKNewport, and I totally agree with you on all points, it's not perfect but the positives far outweigh the negatives, it's just a pleasure to drive, relax, listen to a great stereo in total comfort
Old 02-29-2016, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
I loved this review. I've driven an S Class in one form or another the past decade, two 220's and my current 221. They definitely add a new level of class to everything you do and everywhere you go. Hard habit to break. I admire the 222 but for me at least it's too much money. I could wait another year or so and try to find a CPO in the $60k range, but I had a C Class loaner recently and that little turd really endeared itself to me.

It's not a "Baby S Class" by any stretch but it handles and goes like a *****, and the interior is really nice if you go full leather and the right trim.

So I spec'd up a fully loaded C300...AirMatic, Pano, Driver Assist, Park Assist, Air Balance, AMG kit, LED Lights...pretty much checked every box except power sunshades and it came in at a little over $59k. A lot of the same tech goodies the 222 gets in a Fun Size package. Build date is Tuesday.

I'll miss the mammoth S a little I'm sure though.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:13 PM

Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts
S600
1) The electronics safety nannies ie Driver Assistance Package: maybe this is too much of a good thing,

I find the electronic nannies annoying to the point I leave them turned off.

2) For the most part I've totally babied the car and have been driving my S class like an old granny would...I don't think I've even spun the engine past 3500 rpm more than once! I do a 50/50 mix of suburban and freeway driving in southern California...and thus far the car gets me only 19.2mpg combined.

I am averaging 21 MPG in the S600 after 7000 miles. If I can do it in a V12, you should be able to do it easily in a V8.

6) I find myself checking out other people's S class' a lot

ditto
Old 03-01-2016, 09:14 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
S550
14months and 14k miles. I too still love this car. I just went on a 900 mile road trip, and never got tired of driving her....
Old 03-01-2016, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup
1) The electronics safety nannies ie Driver Assistance Package: maybe this is too much of a good thing,

2) For the most part I've totally babied the car and have been driving my S class like an old granny would...I don't think I've even spun the engine past 3500 rpm more than once! I do a 50/50 mix of suburban and freeway driving in southern California...and thus far the car gets me only 19.2mpg combined.

I am averaging 21 MPG in the S600 after 7000 miles. If I can do it in a V12, you should be able to do it easily in a V8.

ditto
I find the Driver's Assistance Pkg. systems to be like another set of eyes. They don't lull me into being an nattentive driver, they simply offer "assistance," and I feel that they are not only worth their weight in gold, they should be required by law to be standard equipment on every car sold.

I get sensational gas mileage on the highway and dismal economy around town.

I am still not thrilled with the exterior design of this car and I never "check out" other 222's. These cars are boring to look at. IMO, the 221's were MUCH more interesting, attractive and pleasing to the eye. Can't wait for the refresh!
Old 03-02-2016, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S550
Thanks for the responses!

"I am still not thrilled with the exterior design of this car and I never "check out" other 222's. These cars are boring to look at. IMO, the 221's were MUCH more interesting, attractive and pleasing to the eye. Can't wait for the refresh!"
I do look at 221s still...it is an aggressive looking car.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by SHHKNewport
Thanks for the responses!

"I am still not thrilled with the exterior design of this car and I never "check out" other 222's. These cars are boring to look at. IMO, the 221's were MUCH more interesting, attractive and pleasing to the eye. Can't wait for the refresh!"
I do look at 221s still...it is an aggressive looking car.
I think the front/sides of the W22 with the AMG styling looks great but the rear end of the W221 looks better. Don't like the tail lights on the W222 esp when lit at night
Old 03-02-2016, 07:58 PM

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts
2023 S Class 2013 SL
As to styling, front grill canted to rear, hood creases imply forward motion, side lines suggest forward flow. BUT, the rear is canted forward??? Is it only me that finds this incongruous? Why, oh why, not continue the chanting rearward to continue the illusion of forward motion? I'd love to heat opinion of stylying critique such as Georg Karcher.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 201 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup

ditto
I love the Driver Assistance option. I use it basically every time I drive the car in the city or on the highway. I think it's a great safety feature along with helping the driver to not get very tired on long trips.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
96 S 420
Great review.

I currently drive a 96 S420 that I bought used, and have put 100k miles on it in the 10 years of ownership. Love the car but it's showing its wear, and I think the time has come to get a new car.

Was this close to putting a deal together on a 2014 CPO E350 but couldn't pull the trigger because I didn't love the car. Drove a 2013 S550 and new I was done. Just love the car.

Now the hunt begins.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:56 PM

S600
Originally Posted by BeanTrader
I love the Driver Assistance option. I use it basically every time I drive the car in the city or on the highway. I think it's a great safety feature along with helping the driver to not get very tired on long trips.
Perhaps S-class drivers don't realize why I find the driver assistance features annoying.

I like to keep the car within 1-2 inches of where I want it on the road. This line is not dead center of the lane. {This requires precise control over the car, attentive visual analysis, and an understanding of the physics of cars driving on no-straight non-flat road surfaces.}

But the line that enables the car to flow with the most grace. I can look over several turns and plot a course where the car meanders with minimal suspension feedback; DA makes it harder to do this.

While doing so, I can feel the DS moving the car back to the center of the lane which disrupts the grace of the car following a "better" line. {Instead of a single slow balanced cant to the left on a right hand turn, then a single graceful cant back towards center, the car has many more unique movements. (see below}

I feel DA moving the steering wheel and find this disconcerting. {I am steering the car and the car is on the line I want it to follow. I want the steering to feedback road surface properties, but nothing else.}

I feel DA move the car off the line I am actively and precisely driving, and find this annoying. {I am steering the car, and the car is on the line I want it to be on.}

I feel DA move the car without my input and this causes my alarm bells to go off, as if I have missed some visual stimulus of steering feedback stimuli.}
Old 03-31-2016, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Mitch,
I feel that I understand what you are saying and how you enjoy driving your car. It is for that reason that I feel that the driver should be able to turn off all of the DA features, with the exception of the collision avoidance feature, which I feel should be required, standard equipment on every new vehicle produced. I happen to love the DA features and will never buy another car without the package, but all of these features should be up to the driver to accept or reject at the flip if a switch.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 S550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by SHHKNewport
...it still brings a smile to my face every time I see it. I am a first time S class owner and here are my experiences with the W222 so far:

1) The electronics safety nannies ie Driver Assistance Package: maybe this is too much of a good thing, because I think it turns you into a worse/inattentive driver in the long run. Definitely not proud of this but already on several occasions, the collision warning, lane departure warning, pre-safe braking, etc, have saved my behind from a potential accident. I'm so used to and reliant on the warning triangles on the mirrors when changing lanes now that when I occasionally drive my old car I forget that its not there and I still have to manually turn and look at the blind spots. Also with the distronic radar cruise control on, the car knows the curvature of the road/lanes such that very little effort is needed to steer the vehicle and center it on the lane. The steering wheel subtly nudges itself in the right direction along curved roads. The car definitely has a mind of its own which is disconcerting at first, until you get used to trusting it and then driving the S class is all too effortless! I do notice though that while drifting right onto bike lane at the end of a block in order to make a right turn, the lane departure system sometimes forcibly brakes the right wheels and makes an uncomfortable jolt before the car lets you overrule it, this is pretty annoying. Other than that, Mercedes did a really superb job integrating the driver assistance features into the car.

2) For the most part I've totally babied the car and have been driving my S class like an old granny would...I don't think I've even spun the engine past 3500 rpm more than once! I do a 50/50 mix of suburban and freeway driving in southern California...and thus far the car gets me only 19.2mpg combined. Yes the A/C and massage seats are usually on, but I would have thought that I would get at least low 20s the way I'm delicately driving it. Is that too much to ask for? Low 20s? S class owners are not strapped for gas money, but it is annoying that mileage isn't any better. I don't understand why Mercedes does not offer S350, etc, in the North American market like they do overseas. Yes its great to have an enormous amount of untapped power on reserve with the S550, but I seldom use it. Had a lower engine spec been available I personally would have opted for that. (S550e was not quite available yet when I got my car...)

3) Unless I am truly in a rush, being stuck in traffic in an S class really isn't that bad. The plush interior makes the weekday commute a lot more tolerable, and makes weekend getaways that much more enjoyable. Whereas I am not in relaxation mode until I get home after work with other cars, I'm in relax mode the moment I step out the office and hop into the S550. The comfy massage seats effectively makes my work day shorter and that's priceless! I am also so used to the side bolsters on the dynamic seats I wonder if my back muscles have atrophied since I can hardly keep myself sitting upright cornering in other cars now. Eight months ago the dynamic seats felt so unnatural, and now this morning I had to double check that they are still engaged on because they work so seamlessly and I am so used to it.

4) What's up with the ground clearance? Around ramps into street corner plazas I always feel like I'm close to scrapping bottom. (I'm pretty sure I've heard a couple of bottom scrapes...arghhhhh!!) And the button to raise the suspension does not seem to work very fast...certainly cannot wait for it while there's traffic behind you. I tend to leave the suspension permanently raised around local streets. Other than that, the car is surprisingly maneuverable. The surround view camera system is also amazingly useful (except the few random times when it was not available... not sure why that happens sometimes) and makes driving around tight spaces a breeze. The surround camera should come standard as I don't see how one can park well without it. The self parking assist feature is pretty nifty to show off to passengers, but I personally do not use it much.

5) Been to a couple of nice restaurants where the valets parked my car out front by the Ferraris and Aston Martins...nice! And I often randomly overhear people noticing or otherwise paying compliments about the car while walking past it. You can be in a ragged T-Shirt and flip flops and still look like a baller with the S class. The car has undeniable presence and status.

6) I find myself checking out other people's S class' a lot...the car looks good from all angles no matter the color / wheel / +-AMGbody combo. At the LA auto show I saw a few cars with aggressive body kits like Lorinser, etc, but I didn't like them on the W222. I liked those kits on the W221 but I don't think they work as well on the W222.

7) Only once did I put the car into sport mode and go petal to the metal along some winding canyon roads. The handling is gravity defying amazing for a car this size...dances like a big linebacker after returning an interception for a TD. I can only imagine what a S63 or S65 could do.

8)The navigation system is not so great. In my experience also the voice command feature for entering addresses is horrendous...even with perfect pronunciation it still picks up the wrong street name or city. I still use my phone for navigation.

9) I find the adaptive headlights to work flawlessly and its a useful feature. I don't have the upgraded sound system but even then the interior sound is fantastic. I didn't get Designo either but the Nappa leather is really nice already! One thing I wish I got was heads up display.

10) Now that I have owned an S550, I don't know how I can ever go back to another car. I considered a preowned Bentley Flying Spur before deciding on the new S class because its much more practical. For the price, the S class is an absolute bargain all things considered; its a whole lot of refined car for the money. But with a lot of the cutting edge technology and features trickling down to other cars, and a E class/5 series/A6 being 60% of the cost of the S550, my brain says the S class still doesn't really make financial sense, especially if you rarely carry backseat passengers. That being said, my heart says I am very happy I got this car.
I couldn't agree more! I purchased my first S-Class (2010 S63 AMG) at 23 and now turning 25 in October I just purchased my second S-Class (2014 S550 4MATIC) and my love for the S-Class is very much still there and then some. It's hard to nitpick a car like this when there is just so much to love, and now having owned 2 S-Classes, I don't see myself driving any other car.

Great write-up!
Old 08-24-2018, 04:20 PM

S600
I want to add to this thread:

The wife and I went on a 5,500 mile journey over the previous 2 weeks; from Austin Texas to Berkeley Ca and back.

On the way out we took the <upper> lower route going to Roswell for the first night over Texas state highways until we ran into New Mexico. I may be the only one on the NG with an "Alien Express" card. On this route, we got 22.1 MPG in the V12.

The next day we drove to Flagstaff and stayed at a hotel built in 1899 and i said to be haunted (at least the mezzanine bar) and while there the bar tender was placing the stopper bac into a newly opened jar of Tequila and the top broke off. Yikes. Anytime we are ni Flagstaff we eat at Karma Sushi bar--fabulous. On this route we got 23.7 MPG (up hill).

The next day we drove to Bakersfield and stayed downtown in a hotel built in 1923, it was 106º outside so we ate at the dining hall in the hotel without further adventures. This leg we got 26.7 MPG !!

The next (1/2) day we drove to Carmel, walked the beachfront and downtown, This leg of the journey we only got 25.0

The next (1/2) day we drove to Berkeley Ca, the first 90 miles took less time than the last 14 miles. This was the raison détra of the trip, A dear niece was getting married. So there was a big dinner the night before, a big wedding the day of, and a big brunch the day after. It was all Glorious.

After Brunch we drove to Reno, a completely forgettable place to spend the night.

The next day we drove to Salt Lake City, found a reasonable hotel, drove into town and found a fabulous steakhouse a couple blocks from the capital. On this leg we got 25.2 MPG.

The following day we drove to Glenwood Springs in Co. stayed in a hotel build in 1892 to server the summer vacation needs fo the rich and famous. Wandered around town had a good time and good meal. I don't have a picture of the mileage on this leg.

The following (1/2) day we drove to Denver, went to the botanical garden, and did some hopping and bopping about. the following day we visited some dear friends in western Denver.

The following day we drove to Taos and stayed in a hotel built in 1752 which was originally a monastery of some kind, went and ate some delicious Mexican food in the open air. On this leg we got 24.7 MPG.

The following day we drove from Tao to Midland, and had dinner with a relative with which we own land and share mineral rights.

So, over 2 weeks of driving, we ended up putting 5,500 miles on the S600 and rose the long term MPG from 20.2 to 21.2.

The car is such a pleasure to drive, it i quite, comfortable, and quick when you need it to be. My biggest complaint is that distronic uses the brakes to slow the car down when 98% of the time simply gliding down to speed would work better and use fewer consumables from the car. So, I would have to take the car out of D+ about 100 yards before blending into a different lane of traffic. The second complaint is encountered in interstate driving where you are tootling along at a good clip and want to blend in between tw0 approaching cars. If you wait until the first car has passed, the second car may not see your turn signal in time. But if you signal early the DA package gives you a loud bleep that can scare the crap out of the driver. ANd finally, there is no reason to give a loud bleep when the car gets shifted in to neutral while D+ is active. The driver KNOWS that D+ cannot be in control when the tranny is in neutral.
The following users liked this post:
Carfan500 (08-25-2018)