S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

S-class options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 09:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lexus LS430
S-class options

I posted before with a reliability question and after doing more research I'm thinking the car should be reliable.

Just for fun I was looking at the configurator online and thought I'd get your take on some of the options:

1. Is there a noticeable improvement in the leather/wood upgrades?
2. How much trunk space do you lose by getting the rear seat packages?
3. Is the night vision give you some kind of indication that it detects something potentially getting in your way? It seems like if you're driving at night it would be distracting to keep glancing from the road to the system
4. How well does the splitview system work?
5. Is the surround view option worth it or is the included backup camera enough?
6. I'd like to get a nice backseat for long trips, but all those backseat options add up quickly. Do you think the tray tables and massaging backseats are worth the cost?
7. Any options that you regretted getting/not getting?
Old 04-17-2016, 10:37 PM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
I'm waiting for C217 order banks to open for MY17 but a few comments about options shared between the coupe and sedan:

#1 - the designo leather with tufting andl full dash/door leather coverage looks fantastic and belongs in the amazing S class interior

#3 - Nightvision highlights the object detected in red and can flash the headlamps; more info here. I guess the read highlight on the instrument display is enough to make one realize the alert, but I have not seen it in action. I did not get in my CLS63 as the screen is in the center of the dashboard where I wouldn't be looking.

#4 - the screens on current S class are only 1440x540 and I believe Splitview cuts that effective resolution in half, with half of the pixels visible only to the driver and the other half only to the passenger. I absolutely do not want it in mine, and plan on installing a video-in-motion module instead. the new E class screens are 1920x720 btw... unfortunately it seems these won't be incorporated into the S class until MY18 sedan and perhaps MY19 for coupe.

#5 - i really, really hate high concrete curbs and parking barriers scraping my spoiler. to me surround view is worth every penny, so i don't have to worry about ever impacting the front when parking. it should also help avoid wheel scrapes when in tight parking spaces or making tight turns with steep barriers.

Last edited by Heisenberg; 04-17-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:47 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2009 SL550, 2016 E350, 2019 AMG GT rdstr
W222 Options

1) I ordered the mid range leather and although it's not as nice as the top range, it's very nice. The enhanced wood is six pieces, a lower piece on each door, and two pieces on the back of the front seats. Very nice, but not absolutely necessary.

2) You lose a bit of trunk space, but having the warmth and comfort package is really worth it.

3) The infrared night vision is seldom ordered. I have it on my 2015 S550 and love it. It really will alert you to deer near the road and people out for a late night stroll.

4) I didn't bother with the split view, so don't have any experience with it.

5) The surround view option is absolutely worth it. Don't order an S class without it.

6) I ordered just the warmth and comfort package, which gives you reclining, cooled and heated back seats. It's really worth it, since you also get heated arm rests and door panels front and rear. I didn't order the four zone climate control. By the way, it severely cuts the storage space in the front center console.

7) If I had it to do over, I'd have ordered the enhanced wood package.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s550
All the options in S550 in my view are a steal buy. Night vision is very nice. I have driven mine only 500 miles, but it has alerted me twice already - seeing those pesky details at night have been life saving.

Interior is the highlight of S-class. You cant go wrong with the exclusive nappa or higher. The leather tufting as someone pointed out, looks way cool.

If you do ride in the backseat for extended trips, the rear seat packages and massaging rear seats are in my view a must.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:21 PM

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
20 G63, 19 720s
Originally Posted by Max3732
I posted before with a reliability question and after doing more research I'm thinking the car should be reliable.

Just for fun I was looking at the configurator online and thought I'd get your take on some of the options:

1. Is there a noticeable improvement in the leather/wood upgrades?
2. How much trunk space do you lose by getting the rear seat packages?
3. Is the night vision give you some kind of indication that it detects something potentially getting in your way? It seems like if you're driving at night it would be distracting to keep glancing from the road to the system
4. How well does the splitview system work?
5. Is the surround view option worth it or is the included backup camera enough?
6. I'd like to get a nice backseat for long trips, but all those backseat options add up quickly. Do you think the tray tables and massaging backseats are worth the cost?
7. Any options that you regretted getting/not getting?
1. Will never get anything besides the exclusive nappa. It is exceptionally nice. Leather EVERYWHERE
2. Still have plenty of truck space. Looked about the same as our w221
3. You have to decide this. If you live in a rural area, I would get this 100% of the time. We live in the city so did not get this
4. Pixel splitting is not ideal at all. I'm a tech guy so the more pixel, the clearer the image
5. Non-negotiable in a S-class
6. Get them all if you sit in the back often. We couldn't get the tray/massage as we need a 5 seater config.
7. We have almost everything so probs just better wheels and the sport pkg when it's time to order the mid-cycle s. Oh actually if you can swing it, get a S63 Love my G63 so will see if I need a S63 in a year or so.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:29 PM

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts
2023 S Class 2013 SL
What about this magic ride? Is there a noticeable difference comparing vehicles with and without, driving them back to back on same roads?
I've noticed a sparseness of comments on this option on this forum.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:56 AM

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
20 G63, 19 720s
Originally Posted by docsout
What about this magic ride? Is there a noticeable difference comparing vehicles with and without, driving them back to back on same roads?
I've noticed a sparseness of comments on this option on this forum.
We don't have the magic body control. Not possible config with 4matic so there's that lol. Stock is already super, super smooth. The difference has to be marginal at best imo.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:35 PM

Received 308 Likes on 200 Posts
S600
I have an S600, none of that was an option.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by johndong888
We don't have the magic body control. Not possible config with 4matic so there's that lol. Stock is already super, super smooth. The difference has to be marginal at best imo.
MBC is a much better suspension than the Airmatic and a no-brainer if choosing the RWD model. But as stated, no choice on 4matic.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:36 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
04 Lexus LS430
Originally Posted by Wolfman
MBC is a much better suspension than the Airmatic and a no-brainer if choosing the RWD model. But as stated, no choice on 4matic.
Much better as in handling? Or smoothness? I thought it was mostly to enhance cornering. If you drove airmatic and mbc which would be a smoother ride given same wheel size?
Old 04-21-2016, 04:43 PM

2023 S Class 2013 SL
That was my question posted 4-18-2016.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by aypues
Much better as in handling? Or smoothness? I thought it was mostly to enhance cornering. If you drove airmatic and mbc which would be a smoother ride given same wheel size?
Better handling, yes, very much so. Smoother? In some instances.
MBC is the same as ABC with the additional camera road surface sensing.

ABC is an active suspension that can respond much quicker than Airmatic and uses algorithms to adjust each strut. It offsets the body roll/g-force based on your settings. There is also a tilt-curve function.

MB would say it is smoother as MBC can look ahead (very conditional) and smooth the suspension based on what it sees ahead. It also can offset body vibration and keep the car in the lane with strong winds.
Airmatic levels the car front/car and provides an adjustable firmness/height settings. In the S-Class it is designed to provide a smooth ride over most type of road surfaces.

With every generation it has become more refined and it's a great suspension and quite limited compared to ABC.
We have had ABC for 14 years now and easily outperforms any MB spring/airmatic setup. To me, it's a no-brainer to get if available in your configuration.

Last edited by Wolfman; 04-22-2016 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:14 PM

2023 S Class 2013 SL
Thanks for response, wolfman. Will strongly consider when ordering refresh. Appreciate comment.