S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Why One Should Not Buy A Tesla Model S

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:08 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Thank you for the real world info Fathom6. Much more appreciated than the endless sales pitches.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by fathom6
And MTrauman, I respect opposing views, as long as the party is honest and straight in their argument. Here he writes on MB forum (and between: better be a noob than be a shyster), and spews TOTALLY INCORRECT information right and left, taking benefit because MB owners dont have experience owning a Tesla. In my case, I have lived through it.

The fact is: To be a happy Tesla owner, you have to BELIEVE in that lifestyle (which is certainly not a luxury lifestyle, its a "chincy" lifestyle). Even its most marketable item of 0-60 mph, it is not practical, and no Model S owner actually drives it that way, because it "fries" your batteries i.e. destroys your 100k investment, and it reduces the already limited range downwards.

About Superchargers: They take about 60 plus minutes, but then Superchargers are HARMFUL to the delicate batteries. The repeated use of superchargers shortens the batteries life. The trickle charge which is the most advisable method for the life of the batteries (takes about 48 hrs, yes about 48 hrs on a 110V and half that time on a 220V).

Since I was not a believer in hermit/chincy lifestyle that EV Obsession / Model S REQUIRED, I just couldn't take it, and I plotted to get rid of my S60.

As soon as you buy a Model S, it changes your lifestyle, you start to save, save on everything. You life starts to revolve around a BATTERY, a frickin battery. Dont do this, dont do that, this will kill the battery, this will shorten its life, dont ever charge 100%, dont speed charge it, dont let the battery be too low, dont ever let it drain, dont this, dont that ...

ITS SICK, ITS AN OBSESSION!
Excellent info

If anyone has a majority of the formula to make EV work... It's tesla... Whether they will be tesla in 10 years or GM or Mercedes who knows but musk has pioneered some awesome things and I don't mean entirely technology ... But how he markets the ev

I'm not ready for ev yet but when I do, I want it to have a lot of the tesla features that are actually awesome; I want an ev that is stupid easy to own and maintain ... I don't want to revolve my life around the battery and I want to drive it exactly as an ICE vehicle and count on the very awesome warranty and strong network of dealerships to service it when things go wrong

Patiently waiting....

Last edited by PeterUbers; 05-08-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s550
Very informative thread.

Last edited by e_dasani; 05-08-2016 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
So what if someone is "new" to a blog?
Especially when providing real info compared to propaganda by an "old member" ?
Old 05-09-2016, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
As soon as you buy a Model S, it changes your lifestyle, you start to save, save on everything. You life starts to revolve around a BATTERY, a frickin battery. Dont do this, dont do that, this will kill the battery, this will shorten its life, dont ever charge 100%, dont speed charge it, dont let the battery be too low, dont ever let it drain, dont this, dont that ...

ITS SICK, ITS AN OBSESSION!
I have a 70D on order. If I had to have only only one car there is no doubt it would be a S550. But imo the Tesla is fine if it is one of 2-3 family cars...it doesn't need to be used for long distance trips, so our lives won't revolve around battery worries. Just plug it in at night and be done with it. From what I understand, early owners haven't experienced that much long term battery degradation:

"The recent Model S numbers from The Netherlands are even more encouraging.

Based on 84 data points from the 85-kWh version of the Model S and six from 60-kWh cars, the study concludes that the Model S will retain about 94 percent of its capacity after 50,000 miles, with losses thereafter shrinking to about 1 percent per 30,000 miles.

That means that after 100,000 miles, the typical Model S is projected to retain about 92 percent of its battery capacity and range."

source
Old 05-09-2016, 10:56 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,352 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by absent
So what if someone is "new" to a blog?
Especially when providing real info compared to propaganda by an "old member" ?
yes, I see what you're saying......

I don't know either of the Gents, they both seem okay to me
Old 05-09-2016, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s550
great info

Last edited by e_dasani; 05-09-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
s63
I totally agree, while Tesla being unsuitable to be your primary family car but can be a good choice as an extra car to be in your garage, just like I have my jet ski and boat in there (as long as you lower your expectations its great). Where I differ is when Model S starts to be compared with an S-class. (As disclosure, I personally am currently shopping for an EV). As for the ease of charging, dont trust EVObsession.com and greencarreports, there are few more sites too, they publish verbatim similar canned reports (that Websrfr parrots around), totally misleading ...

Originally Posted by syswei
the Tesla is fine if it is one of 2-3 family cars...it doesn't need to be used for long distance trips, so our lives won't revolve around battery worries.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Excellent info

If anyone has a majority of the formula to make EV work... It's tesla... Whether they will be tesla in 10 years or GM or Mercedes who knows but musk has pioneered some awesome things and I don't mean entirely technology ... But how he markets the ev

I'm not ready for ev yet but when I do, I want it to have a lot of the tesla features that are actually awesome; I want an ev that is stupid easy to own and maintain ... I don't want to revolve my life around the battery and I want to drive it exactly as an ICE vehicle and count on the very awesome warranty and strong network of dealerships to service it when things go wrong

Patiently waiting....
I think you'll be rewarded for your waiting. As much as I love our Tesla, I realize I am an early adopter and I knew some of the drawbacks getting into it but the technology and performance has been certainly worth any drawbacks. We'd never buy another combustion car.

Just the whole notion of finding new features added o the car with free over the air software updates is a concept the auto industry has yet to even grasp.

Combustion cars are pretty much at the pinnacle of their engineering and technology before they leave the stage but EVs like what you are waiting for are perhaps a year or two away.

Battery capacities are increasing and we'll cross the 320/330 mile threshold soon when the P100D is released.

Also the Porsche Mission E will be a game changer with addressing the time it takes to charge the car for long distance trips > 200-250 miles. Unlike the 400V system that Tesla uses, Porsche will use a 800V system that delivers a full charge in about 15 minutes so that will be a significant improvement over the Tesla superchargers. And I bet by then Tesla will offer a similar or better charging system.

Just the fact that Tesla had the foresight to cover the whole country with a Supercharger network was very prescient and the system is now set to double from about 3600 chargers to about 7000 within about a year.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
I think you'll be rewarded for your waiting. As much as I love our Tesla, I realize I am an early adopter and I knew some of the drawbacks getting into it but the technology and performance has been certainly worth any drawbacks. We'd never buy another combustion car.

Just the whole notion of finding new features added o the car with free over the air software updates is a concept the auto industry has yet to even grasp.

Combustion cars are pretty much at the pinnacle of their engineering and technology before they leave the stage but EVs like what you are waiting for are perhaps a year or two away.

Battery capacities are increasing and we'll cross the 320/330 mile threshold soon when the P100D is released.

Also the Porsche Mission E will be a game changer with addressing the time it takes to charge the car for long distance trips > 200-250 miles. Unlike the 400V system that Tesla uses, Porsche will use a 800V system that delivers a full charge in about 15 minutes so that will be a significant improvement over the Tesla superchargers. And I bet by then Tesla will offer a similar or better charging system.

Just the fact that Tesla had the foresight to cover the whole country with a Supercharger network was very prescient and the system is now set to double from about 3600 chargers to about 7000 within about a year.
So far, the Porsche is the first EV I can see getting into.

Tesla can take the credit for "Over-the-air" updates, but it just shows how "anti-tech" the automotive industry really is when it comes to software & networking.

But it's such a low bar - Any smartphone can do that.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:36 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
^the Pcar looks really awesome....I mean really? LOOK at it! (IMO) it's pretty incredible!
for those who haven't seen it

something I don't like about Tesla is I had to make an appointment to test drive one.......I ended up not keeping my appointment
Old 05-09-2016, 07:17 PM

s63
The battery technology BADLY SUCKS today, contrary to all you hear, I say 10 years are needed. Tesla is VERY immature for all its claims. Porsche, "hopefully" will be mature.

Originally Posted by Wolfman

Tesla can take the credit for "Over-the-air" updates, but it just shows how "anti-tech" the automotive industry really is when it comes to software & networking.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
The battery technology BADLY SUCKS today, contrary to all you hear, I say 10 years are needed. Tesla is VERY immature for all its claims. Porsche, "hopefully" will be mature.
What a strangely ignorant comment. Model S cars are used worldwide by literally over 100,000 Tesla customers who are driving their cars everywhere and quite happy with the experience of owning an electric car. In fact survey after survey shows Tesla customers are happier with their car than the customers of Porsche or any other car manufacturer.

The experience will only be better for future customers as the range goes up, supercharger network gets expanded, charge times get lowered, and interior amnesties, comfort, and features are enhanced.

Tesla is "very immature for all its claims?" I'm not even sure what that means.

You do realize that even when Porsche comes out with their Mission E, Tesla will be the worldwide leader in electric vehicles whether in sales volume, gross sales, range, or battery technology; right? Everyone else is playing catch up but at least they have woken up.

And the irony is this is happening after Tesla open sourced all their EV/battery technology patents daring anyone to use their technology and try and build a better EV.

With the Gig Factory becoming operational later this year anyone else will have a hard time sourcing batteries at the volume and cost Tesla is able to source batteries.

10 years? Yeah you could have said that 10 years ago and it would be accurate now.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D

Yes, the Mission E will be a phenomenal car. It is the first real EV that has been built ground up to compete head to head with the Model S while taking advantage of packaging and design benefits that you can only get with an EV, such as a flat floor and the battery pack being on the floor for maximum safety (acts as a part of the safety structure) and best possible handling (lowest center of gravity).

It's interesting you say designing a car that can be updated remotely with over the air software updates is a low bar that even a smartphone can do. Interesting then that this technology found in a 2012 Tesla has yet to appear in any premium German car. They should have designed all the 2014, 2015, and 2016 W222 cars so that the new E Class Drive Pilot features could have been enabled with just a software update.

For all the complaints about the Model S interior (and I agree with most of them) it is interesting to note that Félix Godard, Porsche’s lead designer for the Mission E’s interior left Porsche recently to work for Tesla. The Mission E is not expected to be released until 2019 and apart from the charging time, it barely benchmarks what Tesla is selling in 2016.

With the Porsche interior designer and other smart designers given the opportunity to enhance the Model S interior, by the time the Mission E ships, Tesla should have quite a compelling product to offer.

Still that Mission E is quite an impressive car and I am glad it is being built.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Yes, the Mission E will be a phenomenal car. It is the first real EV that has been built ground up to compete head to head with the Model S while taking advantage of packaging and design benefits that you can only get with an EV, such as a flat floor and the battery pack being on the floor for maximum safety (acts as a part of the safety structure) and best possible handling (lowest center of gravity).

It's interesting you say designing a car that can be updated remotely with over the air software updates is a low bar that even a smartphone can do. Interesting then that this technology found in a 2012 Tesla has yet to appear in any premium German car. They should have designed all the 2014, 2015, and 2016 W222 cars so that the new E Class Drive Pilot features could have been enabled with just a software update.

For all the complaints about the Model S interior (and I agree with most of them) it is interesting to note that Félix Godard, Porsche’s lead designer for the Mission E’s interior left Porsche recently to work for Tesla. The Mission E is not expected to be released until 2019 and apart from the charging time, it barely benchmarks what Tesla is selling in 2016.

With the Porsche interior designer and other smart designers given the opportunity to enhance the Model S interior, by the time the Mission E ships, Tesla should have quite a compelling product to offer.

Still that Mission E is quite an impressive car and I am glad it is being built.

2016 Porsche Mission - E concept Reveal - YouTube
A low bar, hence my statement about the automotive industry in general. Still low tech outside of automotive..

My point about the mission-e is that it is a desirable cars, esthetically speaking and I could deal with a 15 minute charge cycle (barely).
Others may feel different but the Model S in any iteration leaves me cold as it is boring looking with poor interior and build quality. Besides the wicked fast 0-60 it has reasonably poor driving dynamics.

Nothing will change here until 2019 IMO...
Old 05-10-2016, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by hyperion667
^the Pcar looks really awesome....I mean really? LOOK at it! (IMO) it's pretty incredible!
for those who haven't seen it

something I don't like about Tesla is I had to make an appointment to test drive one.......I ended up not keeping my appointment
I had a pretty good experience with them, got an email offering test drive and they flat bedded a new P90D to my house on Thursday evening.
Picked it up again on Monday morning.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:06 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
anyone seen the movie about the EV dying? back in the 90's I think.......it's all politics......why do you think we have ethanol in our gas??
Old 05-10-2016, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
A low bar, hence my statement about the automotive industry in general. Still low tech outside of automotive..

My point about the mission-e is that it is a desirable cars, esthetically speaking and I could deal with a 15 minute charge cycle (barely).
Others may feel different but the Model S in any iteration leaves me cold as it is boring looking with poor interior and build quality. Besides the wicked fast 0-60 it has reasonably poor driving dynamics.

Nothing will change here until 2019 IMO...
IMHO I love the understated exterior of the Model S. I like elegant cars that don't have a need to cry out for attention. Love the fact that the pointless nosecone appendage that was a relic of the ICE era is now gone from the Model S design.

On the interior front I've always agreed with you that Tesla needs to up their game. They would not have hired the guy who designed the interior of the Porsche Mission E for no reason. Let's see what they do to the interior of the Model S.

3 years is a long time for Tesla in terms of enhancements and innovations. Unlike legacy carmakers Tesla does not sit on technology or features until the next model year.

They are constantly enhancing the car pretty much on a weekly basis and all those small refinements add up. The list of enhancements they have made to the Model S since the car first came out is somewhat staggering compared to how legacy car manufacturers make minor changes every year.

https://sites.google.com/site/teslam...ptions-by-year
Old 05-10-2016, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by absent
I had a pretty good experience with them, got an email offering test drive and they flat bedded a new P90D to my house on Thursday evening.
Picked it up again on Monday morning.
Before we bought our Tesla the purchase experience was just as great. We were sold on the car about 5 minutes into the test drive but then decided to wait until AWD and better seats were available.

I casually mentioned how I am concerned the car might not fit the tiny garage of our house since the Model S is wider than an S Class. They offered to drive a Model S to our home at our convenience for a "garage fitting" to ensure the car fits. The Model S just barely fit as you can only open the doors on one side when the car is parked so the auto park feature is so useful for us given our tight garage.

I loved the fact that with the garage fitting and delivering a Model S to our house for a closer look, there was zero pressure. They just allowed the car to sell itself and the Tesla purchase experience was completely stress free.

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 05-10-2016 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Fix grammar.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:24 PM

s63
In my opinion they were pretty stingy with you. For selling you a 40k product for a 100k, I will be willing to do a lot more than coming to your home and trying to fit the car in your tiny garage ... unbelievable, you AND your tesla

I casually mentioned how I am concerned the car might not fit the tiny garage of our house since the Model S is wider than an S Class. They offered to drive a Model S to our home at our convenience for a "garage fitting" to ensure the car fits.

Last edited by fathom6; 05-10-2016 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
well, this thread has just turned into the same thing as the other one as captain tesla Websurfer has come in to refute everybody else's opinions with the nonsense he gobbles from elon.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:23 AM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Yes, now we have two threads dedicated to being glorified Tesla sales and marketing. Hell why not just have a thread with continuous links to the official Tesla web site and be done with it?

I understand WEBSRFR and one or two others love their Tesla and thinks everything else is either completely obsolete or total garbage, but that is merely their personal views. That's fine. They are entitled to their views and they have their own preferences in what they decide to drive just as we all do. However, what is the purpose of endless posts from this limited Tesla fan base on a MB site, especially when any opeinion other than singing the praises of Tesla is derided? Like I said, it would be infinitely easier and less monotonous to just create a permanent thread with a link to Tesla's official web site.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Well, I thought one thread was enough to discuss the topic but someone apparently thought we needed another thread.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
In my opinion they were pretty stingy with you. For selling you a 40k product for a 100k, I will be willing to do a lot more than coming to your home and trying to fit the car in your tiny garage ... unbelievable, you AND your tesla
You are obviously entitled to your opinion. We paid more for our Model S than we would have for the S Class we would have bought so apparently we see the value in the Model S. More importantly so do many others given that both in the US and Western Europe for about the same amount of money for a 4 door sedan more people are deciding for themselves that the Model S is a more compelling car.

No other automaker is yet offering the technology in a Model S. The Porsche Mission E will be the first real competition Tesla will have and that car is another 3 years away. For the cost I consider the Model S to be a tremendous value and those who buy one are very happy with their purchase.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
S550
You are obviously entitled to your opinion. We paid more for our Model S than we would have for the S Class we would have bought so apparently we see the value in the Model S. More importantly so do many others given that both in the US and Western Europe for about the same amount of money for a 4 door sedan more people are deciding for themselves that the Model S is a more compelling car.

No other automaker is yet offering the technology in a Model S. The Porsche Mission E will be the first real competition Tesla will have and that car is another 3 years away. For the cost I consider the Model S to be a tremendous value and those who buy one are very happy with their purchase.
A fool and his money are soon parted.

Note: You linking me to a study of other fools is pointless or pointing out that other fools are satisfied is also pointless.

It's maybe a $60,000 car that people pay over $100K for for the ability to not use gas. $40,000 buys a lot of gas.
The following users liked this post:
Newzchspy (05-11-2016)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average.

Quick Reply: Why One Should Not Buy A Tesla Model S