S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Why One Should Not Buy A Tesla Model S

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
Well, I thought one thread was enough to discuss the topic but someone apparently thought we needed another thread.

WEBSRFR,

Ya! That was me that started this thread AND YOU KNOW WHY!

One thread would have been enough if you would stop constantly "Selling" Tesla.

Can you let other people have an opinion besides the one you have?

Essentially we now have two threads you monopolize with the Tesla Kool Aid.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by PaulE550
Yes, now we have two threads dedicated to being glorified Tesla sales and marketing. Hell why not just have a thread with continuous links to the official Tesla web site and be done with it?

I understand WEBSRFR and one or two others love their Tesla and thinks everything else is either completely obsolete or total garbage, but that is merely their personal views. That's fine. They are entitled to their views and they have their own preferences in what they decide to drive just as we all do. However, what is the purpose of endless posts from this limited Tesla fan base on a MB site, especially when any opeinion other than singing the praises of Tesla is derided? Like I said, it would be infinitely easier and less monotonous to just create a permanent thread with a link to Tesla's official web site.

Better yet why don't we convert this whole website to TESLA WORLD since WEBSRFR is on his way to monopolizing the whole damn website.

Can the moderates get this goofball off MBWORLD OR make WEBSRFR pay an advertising fee?
The following 2 users liked this post by MTrauman:
fathom6 (05-11-2016), MDMercedesGuy (07-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
well, this thread has just turned into the same thing as the other one as captain tesla Websurfer has come in to refute everybody else's opinions with the nonsense he gobbles from elon.
CAPTAIN WEBSRFR TESLA--you are ruining the MBWORLD experience and turning people off to Tesla. Can you get off your high horse and come down to reality. There are positives about Tesla but again get real. There is ZERO competition between the S Class and the Model S. Yes some people may buy the Model S instead of the S Class but those people are few and far between.

STOP your BS!
The following users liked this post:
MDMercedesGuy (07-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti/Toyota. Aspiring for Mercedes
Well, I thought one thread was enough to discuss the topic but someone apparently thought we needed another thread.
I thought one of them was to persuade someone who is on the fence on buying a S class to buy a tesla instead and this is to persuade someone who's on the fence about S-class/Tesla to buy a S-class instead.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by mdnx
I thought one of them was to persuade someone who is on the fence on buying a S class to buy a tesla instead and this is to persuade someone who's on the fence about S-class/Tesla to buy a S-class instead.

When I started this thread it was with the intent to counterbalance WEBSRFR's opinion since he/she monopolized the other thread to his/her own advantage.

It looks like WEBSRFR has now turned this thread that I started into the same thing. WEBSRFR is trying to change S Class owners opinions so that we all buy a TESLA instead of the S Class.

I can let WEBSRFR have his opinion but he/she is invading my opinion. STOP THE BS WEBSRFR.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:58 PM

Infiniti/Toyota. Aspiring for Mercedes
Originally Posted by MTrauman
When I started this thread it was with the intent to counterbalance WEBSRFR's opinion since he/she monopolized the other thread to his/her own advantage.

It looks like WEBSRFR has now turned this thread that I started into the same thing. WEBSRFR is trying to change S Class owners opinions so that we all buy a TESLA instead of the S Class.

I can let WEBSRFR have his opinion but he/she is invading my opinion. STOP THE BS WEBSRFR.
With good intentions, but when someone is convinced otherwise nothing but the end of the world will change their minds.
WEBSRFR can try all he wants saying a TESLA is better then a S-class but Im dead set on buying a S-Class when I can.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:31 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Old 05-11-2016, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Tesla has extremely low reliability. Of course, S Class is pretty low also, but that is due primarily to first year birthing pains. Said this before, but whenever I think Tesla, I think Kaiser. Great dam and ship builder, constructor and creator of a health care system. But didn't know squat about the car business or what people would buy after the new wore off and the unique ego factor was gone. John DeLoren was a legend at GM, but couldn't create a car company. Might as well throw in Tucker.
The Tesla is good for some people, but in the end it is just another car. Same for the S Class or any car for that matter.
Of course, we need to look at this more positively, the Tesla people are going to be using less gas and therefore leaving more for the rest of us.
Newzchspy (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
You guys are just feeding the TROLL..........................

Take a deep breath and let it go!!!
Old 05-11-2016, 07:36 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
s63
Did we just got abandoned by our Mods? Lets support MTrauman for taking the initiative, this is a MB forum not a tesla propaganda/poaching site.

Originally Posted by MTrauman
Better yet why don't we convert this whole website to TESLA WORLD since WEBSRFR is on his way to monopolizing the whole damn website.

Can the moderates get this goofball off MBWORLD OR make WEBSRFR pay an advertising fee?
Old 05-11-2016, 10:48 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by fathom6
Did we just got abandoned by our Mods? Lets support MTrauman for taking the initiative, this is a MB forum not a tesla propaganda/poaching site.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by mdnx
If someone makes an argument that another forum member disagrees with, the discussion of such a topic is what an online forum is all about.

Online forums are not the ideal venue for those who are not open to other viewpoints, opinions, and discussions when topics are presented and discussed. They are also not ideal venues for those who may want to share viewpoints that they would not want to subject to any fact checking by other forum members.

If someone posts that you should not buy a Model S because the S Class has a better interior, I will agree with them if that's their most important criteria.

At the same time if someone makes an argument that is not true or that does not make sense from the perspective of someone who actually owns a Model S, I will share my viewpoint on the matter with the experience I have.

Otherwise what you end up with is an echo chamber of ignorance.
ER1 (05-27-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by El Cid
Tesla has extremely low reliability.
Do you care to back that up with numbers? Where did you pull that from or is this something that you just "feel" is true?

Yes, Tesla has low reliability but Tesla reliability is still higher than Mercedes based on the latest Consumer Reports study. Based on the latest study Mercedes ranked 20-something in reliability. Tesla was not included in that study because at that time they only sold one model but if they were to be graded on the same scale for issues Tesla would have ranked around 13 or 14. Yes, nothing great but it is not 20-something either.

I've owned several Mercedes vehicles and still have two in our household and I know all about Mercedes reliability. People who live in glass houses should not throw rocks at others. Mercedes has many strengths but lately reliability has not been one of them.

Both Tesla and Mercedes has their work cut out to increase reliability.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...ability-survey

Old 05-12-2016, 08:08 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I cannot think of a post WEB made that said "go out and buy a tesla or burn in hell"

you guys trying to convince someone of something are hilarious......
Old 05-13-2016, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CR stated Tesla is very low in reliability

[QUOTE=WEBSRFR;6799952]Based on the latest [CR] study... Tesla was not included in that study because at that time they only sold one model.[end quote]
Consumer Reports exclusion philosophy leaves a lot to be desired. If Tesla only makes one model, they should actually be even better than a company that makes dozens, if not hundreds, of models. If ranked, Tesla would be near the bottom of the chart.
However, you misinterpreted the CR report anyway. The report to which you refer is on Brand or Make reliability, not the Tesla S reliability. The fact that Tesla was excluded also makes your comparison invalid.
Also, the S was based on MY 14 and 15 and showed improvement for MY 15. The Tesla rating is based on MY's 12-15. It showed improvement for 14 and then dropped to much worse for 15. CR rates Tesla S as a used car to avoid (Worst of the Worst) for MY's 12-13 and 15, whereas MB S is in this grouping only for MY 14 (debut year for current model).
Using the CR information (chart you copied) and other in the issue, MB is improving, but Tesla is getting worse.
True Delta also shows very low reliability for Tesla.
Incidentally owner satisfaction is very, very subjective. Both MB S and Tesla S rate very highly in satisfaction, but terribly in reliability based on CR reports from owners. That is contradictory.
Satisfaction in CR is based on cars from last three years (2014-2016 MY). So the people who are very satisfied with their older cars are not even considered.
Happy motoring!

Last edited by El Cid; 05-13-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Do you care to back that up with numbers? Where did you pull that from or is this something that you just "feel" is true?

Yes, Tesla has low reliability but Tesla reliability is still higher than Mercedes based on the latest Consumer Reports study. Based on the latest study Mercedes ranked 20-something in reliability. Tesla was not included in that study because at that time they only sold one model but if they were to be graded on the same scale for issues Tesla would have ranked around 13 or 14. Yes, nothing great but it is not 20-something either.

I've owned several Mercedes vehicles and still have two in our household and I know all about Mercedes reliability. People who live in glass houses should not throw rocks at others. Mercedes has many strengths but lately reliability has not been one of them.

Was Tesla so low that it didn't even make the list?
Old 05-13-2016, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/gi...ot-107463.html

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/05/par...n-trailer.html
Old 05-13-2016, 09:27 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
s63
For me, the big thing is RATTLES. I cannot stand a car that has too much squeeks and rattles, and my S60 was a one piece of crap.

"The Tesla Model S had a worse-than-average predicted reliability score with problems stemming from the drivetrain, power equipment, charging equipment, center console, body and sunroof squeaks, rattles and leaks".

Old 05-16-2016, 11:08 AM

2016 Camaro 2SS Supercharged
Oh my god. The "RECKLESS" Tesla owners!

My god all those people who own a Tesla. How do they live with that car and drive hundreds of miles? Right?

You do realize the Tesla Model S is the most satisfying car ever sold with an owner satisfaction rate in the mid 90-percentile and higher than even for Porsche; right?

If it makes you happy to think that Tesla owners are not happy with their cars, have at it but apparently the only people who have problems with owning a Tesla are those who don't own one
I was a fanboy but quickly realized what you have to sacrifice to be green and ride long in your oversized IPod. For me, a Model 3 was a good answer for my wife because of her light driving and non-interest in power. But as time has gone by I am so glad we didn't waste our 1000 dollars and wait two years plus for the scam of the century from a company that won't survive.

The more I investigate how overpriced these cars the more I became discouraged. I like buttons, I like curved interiors. I like noise. I like power and I buy cars to please my ego. With Tesla, you have cheaply made interiors and exteriors and their small cabin heights it leaves me no reason to believe that the iPhone junkies have taken another step in idiocy to moving our world to a rent-based economy where establishments truly own everything. The green movement is a scam and NOT a solution. It is a band-aid. I loved the article about how in Singapore they are claiming they produce even more carbon emissions than NAS cars and the tax rate is much higher. Go Sibgapore.

For me, give me MY car any day of the week knowing that I have a half tank of gas that'll be there four months from now if it sit in the garage for the Winter is a good piece of mind.

And no offense to you first time Tesla speed junkies, but you'll increase the death rate stats pretty quickly in the coming years from your lack of experience in driving a high torque car. I've already beaten every Tesla Model S that showed u at the track and they stopped coming around. So, another point of interest is that once you get below a 12 second time, Teslas are in your dust and can't be improved or your 150K car is bricked.

For a car enthusiast they suck and have no 3rd party options. For a rich dude that thinks they have a sports car, keep dreaming and drinking the Kool Aid as I growl at you and take your 150k heart out when you eat my exhaust emissions and stare the back of my car flying away. I know that is why so many buy this car. They think they are getting a car that can dust anything. Wrong again.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:45 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by SSCrush
I was a fanboy but quickly realized what you have to sacrifice to be green and ride long in your oversized IPod. For me, a Model 3 was a good answer for my wife because of her light driving and non-interest in power. But as time has gone by I am so glad we didn't waste our 1000 dollars and wait two years plus for the scam of the century from a company that won't survive.

The more I investigate how overpriced these cars the more I became discouraged. I like buttons, I like curved interiors. I like noise. I like power and I buy cars to please my ego. With Tesla, you have cheaply made interiors and exteriors and their small cabin heights it leaves me no reason to believe that the iPhone junkies have taken another step in idiocy to moving our world to a rent-based economy where establishments truly own everything. The green movement is a scam and NOT a solution. It is a band-aid. I loved the article about how in Singapore they are claiming they produce even more carbon emissions than NAS cars and the tax rate is much higher. Go Sibgapore.

For me, give me MY car any day of the week knowing that I have a half tank of gas that'll be there four months from now if it sit in the garage for the Winter is a good piece of mind.

And no offense to you first time Tesla speed junkies, but you'll increase the death rate stats pretty quickly in the coming years from your lack of experience in driving a high torque car. I've already beaten every Tesla Model S that showed u at the track and they stopped coming around. So, another point of interest is that once you get below a 12 second time, Teslas are in your dust and can't be improved or your 150K car is bricked.

For a car enthusiast they suck and have no 3rd party options. For a rich dude that thinks they have a sports car, keep dreaming and drinking the Kool Aid as I growl at you and take your 150k heart out when you eat my exhaust emissions and stare the back of my car flying away. I know that is why so many buy this car. They think they are getting a car that can dust anything. Wrong again.

nice post
Old 05-18-2016, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Well for one that Autopilot feature keeps ****ting the bed and causing accidents as does the summon feature.

M
Old 05-18-2016, 05:02 PM

Swell -
Nice data ... is there a similar table for car safety? Curious how Tesla compares to S and 7 series.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Please note the table WEBSRFR posted is inaccurate. It is a ranking by car brand or make, not by cars. It also excludes some makes, such as Tesla for totally spurious reasons. See my earlier post.
While it has limitations, Consumer Reports does do more intensive reporting than others. However, I am not sure they report safety ratings anymore. Just yes or no on frontal side impact. May be on their website,but that costs extra so I do not have access to it.
Search for IIHS safety ratings.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
Originally Posted by terrain
Nice data ... is there a similar table for car safety? Curious how Tesla compares to S and 7 series.
I haven't seen such a comparison, but here's an interesting article.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
Some pluses and minuses of the P85D, as reported after 20k miles of long term testing by C&D: here

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average.

Quick Reply: Why One Should Not Buy A Tesla Model S