S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Why One Should Not Buy A Tesla Model S

Old 08-29-2016, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I haven't seen the interior or sat in the seats on the p100 model, so no opinion here, but the exterior can't be more boring. In fact the front end is downright ugly.
I guess innovation has stopped there
Glad the software is up to speed, but it appears that Audi is on the path to eclipse that...

WEBSRFR forgot to mentioned that the Model S exterior has had the same look since 2012. BORING! Big time innovation WEBSRFR!

He/she (WEBSRFR) is back to selling Tesla advertising. I don't think he has ever owned an S Class. Sales fluctuate based on where in the approximate 7 year cycle the car model is. Additionally, he keeps focusing on the US. What about world sales?

It was pleasant with WEBSRFR on vacation--no useless facts to contend with.
The following 2 users liked this post by MTrauman:
llcd (03-11-2017), MDMercedesGuy (08-31-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I think you miss the point and simply repeat as printed. A fast 0-60 doesn't mean that the car is actually sporty (which it isn't) nor is it luxurious.
Except for the fact that a Tesla Model S is premium and luxurious enough for more people looking to purchase the finest car they can find for around $100K. And based on the customer satisfaction rankings for Tesla being higher than for Mercedes customers who buy a Tesla are quite happy with their cars. There is really nothing else to even consider buying that offers the same level of premium technology and EV performance as a Model S.

This is why in just the first 6 months of this year while Tesla sales are up about 10% Mercedes S Class sales continue to go down and they are 22% lower than last year. Model S sales numbers for the next 6 months are expected to be even higher because they are no longer distracted by the Model X ramp up as currently the Model S and X are running at full production capacity.

Interesting to note that essentially the entire upper end of the premium car market is starting to be dominated by Tesla. While just about all the Tesla competitors endure loss of market share Tesla is adding more customers. And this is with spending nothing on advertising as they have a superior products in the eyes of most customers based on sales.

Source: http://left-lane.com/us-sales-2016-f...usine-segment/
Old 08-29-2016, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Copying and pasting the same old sales stats has no relevance to what I posted.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
El Cid (09-01-2016), MDMercedesGuy (08-31-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 05:35 AM

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Just saw the data for the large premium car segment US sales figures for the first half of the year and yikes it is not a pretty picture for Mercedes. Seems like the pace of customers purchasing a Tesla Model S over an S Class is picking up.
The target audience for the P100D are people who want to pay about the same as for an S Class and end up with a more technologically sophisticated car matching the performance of a $1M supercar that is no longer even in production.
If you're choosing a Model S P100D over a S Class, you're not even close to the demographic that the S Class is aimed at. S Class owners who switched from the S to a Model S that we can see on other forums didn't even have a S63. There's way more people who switched from GM Motors, Ford e.t.c to a Model S than from a S Class.
Also, how many times do we have to explain that the people who wanted a S Class have already got one and are waiting for the facelift? It seems you have troubles believing us so let's quote figures from the previous S Class where no Tesla existed (US figures only as they are what I found)
2006 - Introduction of S Class 221 - 30,886
2007 - 26,081
2008 - The point we are at now for the 222 generation - 17,787
Compared to the last generation of S Class, this one is doing much better and the Model S still hasn't outsold the S Class as the S Class sales total is way above 200,000.
Edit : MTrauman shows an INCREASE in sales worldwide below
What you are saying is similar to me saying in March 2016 the 6 Series sold 800 cars in Europe but in April 2016 they only sold 400 cars in Europe which shows a 50% decline in sales showing that people prefer the S Class over the 6 Series. Can you please just stop with this nonsense about a sales decline meaning people are going to buy a Model S. There are a wide variety of reasons for sales figures going down and the Model S owners who switched barely count for 1% of total sales figures.

Last edited by UrBusted; 08-30-2016 at 10:47 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by UrBusted:
El Cid (09-01-2016), llcd (03-11-2017)
Old 08-30-2016, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
WEBSRFR,

You are so biased that I do not trust anything you say.

Worldwide S Class Sales:

2015=107,336
2014=107,277

How many Tesla Model S cars were sold in those same periods worldwide? Much much less I believe.

Why are you trying to sell people who are S class owners to switch to a Model S? Because you are a nut and need mental help!!
The following 3 users liked this post by MTrauman:
El Cid (09-01-2016), llcd (03-11-2017), UrBusted (09-01-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
WEBSRFR,

You want to keep talking sales of Model S vs MB S Class?

I looked up the sales of the Model S. Here is what I found:

In 3 1/2 years ending in December 2015, Tesla sold 100,000 Model S cars. Compare this to the 107,336 S Class cars MB sold just in 2015.

Now tell me again how the Model S is selling more than the MB S Class?

You are so full of WEBSRFR.
The following 4 users liked this post by MTrauman:
El Cid (09-01-2016), llcd (03-11-2017), MDMercedesGuy (08-31-2016), UrBusted (09-01-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63

From WEBSRFR's perspective, I should buy a Nissan LEAF because it is selling more than the Tesla Model S in the EV space.
El Cid (09-04-2016), llcd (03-11-2017)
Old 08-30-2016, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63

Or maybe I should buy a Chevy Volt over the Model S because it sold more too? Or maybe I should just buy another Ford F150 truck because it sold more than my 2016 S Class?

WEBSRFR needs help because he does not know how to tell which car is selling more than Tesla Model S because based on his sick view the Model S sells more than any other vehicle on the planet--or is that just US sales?

Last edited by MTrauman; 08-30-2016 at 12:09 PM.
fathom6 (08-31-2016), MDMercedesGuy (08-31-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Another item Mr. Deception (WEBSRFR) forgets to discuss in his horrible sales analysis is the fact that 61% of the Model S cars are sold in the US versus about 25% of the S Class cars are sold in the US.

Again, WEBSRFR just wants to use sales "puffery" to persuade S Class owners to buy a Model S. Just remember that WEBSRFR gets paid by Tesla apparently or he simply needs a shrink because no one in their right mind would profess the stuff he speaks of.
El Cid (09-01-2016), MDMercedesGuy (08-31-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by UrBusted
If you're choosing a Model S P100D over a S Class, you're not even close to the demographic that the S Class is aimed at.
Oh seriously, just get over yourself, "Mr. I'm the S Class Demographic and you are not." I know plenty of very well to do people who passed on an S Class to buy a Tesla because to them the Model S represents the best car available to buy at any price. Over a dozen S Class owners on this very same forum have chimed in to share the news that they either bought a Tesla or are about to buy one.

Based on the declining sales figures for the S Class it seems more well to do people who have around $100K to spend on a sedan are opting to buy a Tesla over an S Class. It's not complicated and just numbers as in the number of people who buy an S Class keeps going down and the number of people who instead buy a Tesla goes up.

S class sales are continuing to go gown with a 22% decline in the US for the first 6 months of the year. In fact the entire upper end of the luxury car market is in decline because people who used to buy a Mercedes, Audi, or BMW are instead opting to buy the best American car available to buy because to them it happens to be the best car available to buy period.

If you can look at the chart below and still don't get that Tesla is taking away market share from the S Class and other competing models , you are in serious denial.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
I know plenty of very well to do people who passed on an S Class to buy a Tesla because to them the Model S represents the best car available to buy at any price. Over a dozen S Class owners on this very same forum have chimed in to share the news that they either bought a Tesla or are about to buy one.

If you can look at the chart below and still don't get that Tesla is taking away market share from the S Class and other competing models , you are in serious denial.
Unlike you, I don't know a single S-Class owner that switched to Tesla. I think there were a few people on the forum expressing interest with I think 2 adding a Tesla as an additional car, not replacement.

Great for them and nothing wrong with that except you are making personal assumptions on incomplete data points that you represent as facts. Statistically not tangible...

I believe it has been stated on the forum before that luxury sedans lose sales to luxury SUV's, not the Tesla. IMO, there is some blend, just as people move to other sports cars or wait until new models come out.
Nor have I ever heard from anyone that "a Model S represents the best car available to buy at any price". Besides you and the TeslaDude, that is...

Point is that you don't have enough information to represent anything as fact.
The following 4 users liked this post by Wolfman:
El Cid (09-04-2016), fathom6 (08-31-2016), llcd (03-11-2017), MDMercedesGuy (08-31-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
WEBSRFR,

You have never owned an S Class so don't tell me you know what impacts sales in the US--you have no clue except that Tesla is your GOD.

Again sales numbers. Give it up.

I tried to explain to you S Class sales numbers in the US but you continue to beat the Model S drum without any common sense.

So to give proper perspective to what we have all been saying about product market cycles with the S class I have listed some numbers below (congrates WEBSRFR you got the 14 and 15 US sales numbers correct):

2013 S Class Sales in US = 13,303
2014 S Class Sales in US = 25,276
2015 S Class Sales in US = 21,934

I have been purchasing new S Class cars over 30 years and know about their sales numbers and product cycles. By the way I purchased one S Class in 2014 and another in 2015.

In 2013 just before the release of the W222 in October 2013 in the US, the September sale number for S Class cars in September 2013 for the w221 was 387 cars. With the release of the W222 the October sales number was 1914, November was 1907 and the December number was 1857. This pattern shows what happens when a new S Class is released. Once it is released the numbers tend to go down a bit over time until a refresh or the new model in about 7 years time.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT MODEL S BUYERS ARE TAKING MARKET SHARE FROM THE S CLASS.

WEBSRFR has absolutely no business sense based on all his/her flapping at the gums about useless sales numbers trying to prove his point that the Model S is kicking the crap out of the S Class sales numbers. PLEASE get a life WEBSRFR.
The following 5 users liked this post by MTrauman:
fathom6 (08-31-2016), Jan AMG (09-01-2016), llcd (03-11-2017), MDMercedesGuy (08-31-2016), UrBusted (09-01-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
SpaceX (another Elon Musk company) rocket explodes on the launchpad.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In 1948 the Kaiser and the Crosley had phenominal sales increases and sold huge numbers of vehicles. 10 years later both were out of business.
WEBSRFR has yet to post his connection to Tesla or a company associated with Elon Musk or Tesla.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:22 PM

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Oh seriously, just get over yourself, "Mr. I'm the S Class Demographic and you are not." I know plenty of very well to do people who passed on an S Class to buy a Tesla because to them the Model S represents the best car available to buy at any price. Over a dozen S Class owners on this very same forum have chimed in to share the news that they either bought a Tesla or are about to buy one.

Based on the declining sales figures for the S Class it seems more well to do people who have around $100K to spend on a sedan are opting to buy a Tesla over an S Class. It's not complicated and just numbers as in the number of people who buy an S Class keeps going down and the number of people who instead buy a Tesla goes up.

S class sales are continuing to go gown with a 22% decline in the US for the first 6 months of the year. In fact the entire upper end of the luxury car market is in decline because people who used to buy a Mercedes, Audi, or BMW are instead opting to buy the best American car available to buy because to them it happens to be the best car available to buy period.

I'm not part of the usual S Class demographic but I still have one. Go on Uber or go to somewhere like central London to see the main demographic of S Class'. I've seen people 20x as well of as me with a Model S, I've also seen people 20x as well of as me with a S Class. It doesn't add anything to the point. Also, over a dozen S Class owners on this forums? Please list them. I've seen one who had a E63, and another one who currently has a S Class too I think. I'm not in any sort of denial, the S Class sales are following the same trend as they have been since previous generations.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Tesla Model S P85+
Originally Posted by El Cid
What I have read indicates it takes a lot of electricity to run the A/C or even heat in a car that is not moving or moving very slowly. Much greater impact on range than running a gas engine.
You got it wrong. Read what I wrote above.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:01 AM

Tesla Model S P85+
Originally Posted by MTrauman
I just heard another reason not to buy a Tesla Model S--pertains only to male drivers.

Kevin O'Leary of the famed "Shark Tank" mentioned on CNBC today that he won't buy a Tesla for fear of his "male package" being radiated on causing cancer from the battery. Joking of course but has anyone thought about the hazards of battery packs in any EV?
No different from the electronics running through any other sophisticated car.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:05 AM

Tesla Model S P85+
The seats are an additional refinement in the recently announced P100D.

I am completely satisfied the Next Gen seats of our Tesla P85D but Tesla recently brought seat manufacturer and design in house where the seats are now made at their Freemont plant in California. The Tesla Premium Seats offered in the P100D is the result and they will be eventually available across the Model S lineup.

Additional interior refinements are on the way for the Model S. The guy who designed the Porsche Mission E interior left for Tesla a while ago and the guy in charge of Audi production also left for Tesla.

Tesla does not improve their cars every 4 or 7 years like other manufacturer. Some of you will be surprised at how rapidly Tesla innovates and improves their cars but take a look at the Web page below. Every month or two they roll out enhancements and improvements. Traditional car manufacturers sit in enhancements for 4 to 7 years before they roll them out. Tesla makes improvements available to customers as soon as they are available and the newly improved seats are just one example.

https://sites.google.com/site/teslam...ptions-by-year
I opted for the black textile seats, very comfortable. Not a fan of leather, so it worked out well.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:09 AM

Tesla Model S P85+
Soccer moms will likely purchase a Model X or the non-P version of a Tesla Model S.

The target audience for the P100D are people who want to pay about the same as for an S Class and end up with a more technologically sophisticated car matching the performance of a $1M supercar that is no longer even in production.

I "only" have a P85D and from Tesla sales figures there is quite a target audience for Tesla vehicles. Some of them used to buy Mercedes vehicles and they are much happier with the Tesla they bought instead based on Tesla customer satisfaction ratings.

Our P85D is like owning a personal roller coaster It's the most satisfying purchase I've ever made. There is really nothing out there like it -- well other than a Tesla Model S P90D or a P100D
Nice one. The P85D was announced while my car was still being put together. Rather than wait for the build of the newer version, I stuck it out. Never been happier with a car.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:12 AM

Tesla Model S P85+
Originally Posted by MTrauman
WEBSRFR forgot to mentioned that the Model S exterior has had the same look since 2012. BORING! Big time innovation WEBSRFR!
What's up with the smash gif?! I never knew you MB drivers were so violent.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:18 AM

Tesla Model S P85+

I don't know, WBS, he may be right. I never even considered a MB before I bought my MS. Porsche, BMW, NSX, yes. MB, no.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
Automobile Magazine article: 1300hp AMG supercar where "at least two Daimler board members are in favor of developing an all-electric or fuel-cell-powered hypercar instead of a hybrid one"

Pure ICE drivetrains need not apply.

Last edited by syswei; 09-02-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by TheTeslaDude
I don't know, WBS, he may be right. I never even considered a MB before I bought my MS. Porsche, BMW, NSX, yes. MB, no.
Then what are you doing on this site?
You just announced that all you do here is trolling.
The following 2 users liked this post by absent:
El Cid (09-04-2016), llcd (03-11-2017)
Old 09-04-2016, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You got it wrong

Originally Posted by TheTeslaDude
You got it wrong. Read what I wrote above.
You didn't read my post well enough to understand it. I was addressing a car sitting still or moving for 10 MPH for hours. The AC in a Tesla will draw lots of energy from the batteries and this will reduce the range. While the ICE car will also be burning fuel, it has a much greater range to begin with and can pull over every 10-20 miles for more fuel. The EV has to find a charger and get in line, if it makes it to the charger.
Of course the EV car could turn the AC off and roll down the windows.
Heating is an even greater draw. One automotive company estimated 50% of battery power will go to heat in an extremely cold enviroment, such as possibly the Northern US.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic, 2006 C180 Kompressor, 2007 S550 AMG Package
I recently drove my neighbors Model S P85D. What a car, fast, quiet and comfortable but, its expensive, range anxiety is still a concern, that wirr of the motor is annoying and I don't really like the look of it. I would rather buy an Audi A7 for the Sportback look.

I think the more Teslas there are on the road the better, it saves more gas for the people who actually need it. I still have my reservations about auto pilot, it's a bit weird when you don't have any control over basically a computer, computers freeze and break down, what will happen then? Oh wait! Luckily the Distronic Plus requires your hands to be put on the steering wheel every 30 seconds to keep you focused. Watch all those videos of people texting, sleeping and playing board games while going 60mph+ in the Tesla. I am not disproving autonomous vehicles but more care should be taken to ensure that the driver is still involved in driving.

If I wanted to spend $100,000 on a electric car I would by a S550e, although not completely electric I can still drive to work which is about 15 miles, charge it up and drive back home again, being a Hybrid there is no range anxiety either. The 3.5L V6 gas engine is also very fuel efficient.

Last edited by w203ck; 09-04-2016 at 07:30 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average.

Quick Reply: Why One Should Not Buy A Tesla Model S