Homelink issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C300
Homelink issues

Hi guys

Another question for the forums , my Google search shows me this is not the first time people have had this issue

So using either or the homelink buttons or the garage provided remote , from within the S600 the signal is almost totally blocked.

If I open the driver window the remote will then easily open the garage , but the built in homelink button is still extremely finicky about when it wants to work

I understand it is an issue with the coating on the glass blocking the signal ,

Does anyone have experience with outfitting an antenna that is on the outside the glass , I have seen an s550 with just that , a very small antenna that is mounted on the outside of the windshield up in the corner , I assume it was connected into the homelink antenna inside the car

Failing that is it possible to have the coating removed in front of the antenna just to allow the transmission through ?

It seems really silly they would design a car like this and then hamper use of it

I noticed even sitting inside the GPS on my phone is about a 20% connection rate , it is constantly searching for signal

Located in toronto if anyone knows a reputable shop that could help

Thanks in advance !
Old 05-28-2016, 01:59 AM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
The coating on the windshield DOES limit the range for Homelink. W221 and W216 vehicles also have this limitation. The ONLY solution is to modify the antenna on your garage door mechanism. The easiest mod is to simply splice some additional wire to lengthen the antenna. see
. Also search google for "garage door opener antenna extender kit"
Old 06-01-2016, 09:21 PM

Received 148 Likes on 116 Posts
'94 SL600,'05 SL600,'06 S65,'07 E63,'14 E63S,'09SL600 all sold, ‘15 S65,‘18 E63S,'17 SL65, '17S65Cab
On Friday I sold my 2006 S65 and took delivery of a W222 S65. I had a lot of trepidation about the Homelink usability from several posts on this subject. The door opener remote supplied with the opener worked fine from in the car. On Monday I programmed the codes into the Homelink system per the instruction manual. If it matters the door openers are made by Liftmaster. The Homelink buttons work every time from the end of the driveway, which is about 50' from the antenna on the opener.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by steveb9771
The coating on the windshield DOES limit the range for Homelink. W221 and W216 vehicles also have this limitation. The ONLY solution is to modify the antenna on your garage door mechanism. The easiest mod is to simply splice some additional wire to lengthen the antenna. see Garage Door Range Extender - YouTube. Also search google for "garage door opener antenna extender kit"
I'm not sure I'd use the words 'only'...

FYI it isn't an issue of extending the antenna at the door opener itself, sitting 2 feet from the opener makes no difference, but letting the signal get in/out from the vehicle.

I did mention extending the built-in vehicle antenna through the glass, which is what I've contacted a company to have done

Will file a trip report once it's complete!
Old 09-08-2016, 03:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S550
I too am amazed at the short distance the homelink has. My cadillac worked from 250-300ft away. My door opener works the same distance. But this mercedes s-class homelink unit has to be right in front of the door to work. It's a PITA to have to pull up to the door everytime and hold the button to wait. Is there a better solution? I will try extending the antenna, but Im not sure that would help given the other homelink units work from a much farther away.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:17 PM

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
2014 S550, 2019 GTC Coupe
The handheld unit works from inside my car with the windows closed from a good distance. The in car unit has to be right on top of the door to work. This means it is not the glass causing the issue its the power of the transmitter of the home link unit. They changed my mirror with no change in performance. They need to up the power!
Old 09-15-2016, 02:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S550
I extended my antenna thanks to the previous posts. I'm happy to report I did gain about 20ft or so. It was better than nothing. At least now I dont have to be right in front of the door. It's still underpowered in my book, when other systems I had worked feom a much further distance.