S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

S550 vs 750i

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 10:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
S550
S550 vs 750i

I few of you asked me to post my thoughts regarding the comparison between the S550 and 750i. Just took delivery of my 750i yesterday and had an opportunity to spend a little time in the car. For those who don't know I totaled my 2015 S550 a little over a month ago. I took the opportunity to go drive the 750i and really liked the car. I would have rolled into another S550 but the build time would have taken till end of August and I wasn't in a position to wait so I went with the 750i. My S550 was fully loaded with the exception of the executive seating pack. My 750i is also fully loaded with the exception of 20" wheels so comparable cars.

First impressions
The BMW is a sports car with some luxury components. The MB is much more luxury car with some sports car elements. There is more feedback in the BMW from the road and exhaust. The exhaust note is really cool and I love the feedback. The 19" wheels definitely hide the road noise, but it's louder than the MB. The MB has a beautiful ride to it and can get up and go when you ask it to. The BMW is not as nice of ride but it is a lot of fun to drive. The car feels faster and more aggressive around corners. You just feel like you can do more with the car.

With regards to looks the exterior of the MB is hands down better looking IMO. The MB just looks luxurious while the BMW is aggressive in appearance but has some awkwardness to it's lines. In the interior the cars are just completely different. The MB is refined, luxurious and very clean while the BMW is very luxurious but there is just a whole lot more going on. I had the Exclusive Nappa in my MB and the Nappa in the BMW seems just as nice. Seat comfort is very comparable although I miss the active contour seats in the MB. The seat position in the BMW is a little lower than I prefer but I am adapting. Fit and finish is the same IMO, with are top notch.

Technology - in the BMW everything is just a little easier. The iDrive is gets the edge between the two although it's close. The thing I love about the BMW is that all the things we all have complained about in the MB on this site are very simple in the BMW i.e. turning the AC off and syncing the AC is done with the press of one button. You can permanently turn off the ECO Start/Stop in the BMW. The Driver assist seems better but at times it can be intrusive especially the lane assist. If you don't have your blinker on when changing lanes the car really resists you changing lanes. The heads up display is so much better because it shows you multiple functions. The 360 cameras are also clearer. Park distance control I like because it gives you a signal much further away from an object than the MB. I am not finding the gesture control to be that big of a deal. I miss having the volume control roller of the MB that's right at your finger tips.

Stereo system - I think they are both pretty equal although the cool factor of the Burmeister blows the BMW away. The B&W system in the BMW is backlit but it's just a little odd to me.

Those are my thoughts after just a few hours in the car. I am sure I am forgetting some things. In the end I think they are both incredible cars but just different. My daughter and wife with agreed with me that the BMW looks like it would appeal to a younger audience while the MB would appeal to a more mature audience. I am in my 50's so I am old enough and young enough to like them both. I have attached some pics for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails S550 vs 750i-img_0001.jpg   S550 vs 750i-img_0002.jpg   S550 vs 750i-img_0003.jpg   S550 vs 750i-img_1406.jpg   S550 vs 750i-img_1407.jpg  

S550 vs 750i-img_5489.jpg   S550 vs 750i-img_5493.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by cheatham25:
Germancar1 (06-08-2016), Terminator2029 (05-29-2016), Wolfman (05-28-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 11:56 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
congratulations! That gave me a really good understanding of BMW 700 series, thanx for the writing
That is so weird about changing lanes! I HATE it when people don't signal their intent! But it's interesting to know someone has addressed that. Did the salesman go over that with you at delivery? Wonder if that will catch on, or already has in other car builders.....

enjoy your new car, I noticed there's M badges? Like the door sills?
Old 05-28-2016, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,392 Likes on 1,934 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
When you say your BMW is "fully loaded," is it really? The reason I ask, is that when I "built" a new 750LI on their site, it appeared that there were several options for suspensions, safety systems, etc. In addition, over the years as I have looked at the 7's, I have found it virtually impossible to find one in dealer inventory with all of the bells & whistles. Worse yet, I have found it almost impossible to find a sales person who can even explain to me what these various options are, or what they do and how they work. At least on the S, you either get the Driver's Assistance Pkg or you don't. With the 7, it seems to be much more complicated.
The following users liked this post:
aypues (05-29-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by cheatham25
I few of you asked me to post my thoughts regarding the comparison between the S550 and 750i. Just took delivery of my 750i yesterday and had an opportunity to spend a little time in the car. For those who don't know I totaled my 2015 S550 a little over a month ago. I took the opportunity to go drive the 750i and really liked the car. I would have rolled into another S550 but the build time would have taken till end of August and I wasn't in a position to wait so I went with the 750i. My S550 was fully loaded with the exception of the executive seating pack. My 750i is also fully loaded with the exception of 20" wheels so comparable cars.

First impressions
The BMW is a sports car with some luxury components. The MB is much more luxury car with some sports car elements. There is more feedback in the BMW from the road and exhaust. The exhaust note is really cool and I love the feedback. The 19" wheels definitely hide the road noise, but it's louder than the MB. The MB has a beautiful ride to it and can get up and go when you ask it to. The BMW is not as nice of ride but it is a lot of fun to drive. The car feels faster and more aggressive around corners. You just feel like you can do more with the car.

With regards to looks the exterior of the MB is hands down better looking IMO. The MB just looks luxurious while the BMW is aggressive in appearance but has some awkwardness to it's lines. In the interior the cars are just completely different. The MB is refined, luxurious and very clean while the BMW is very luxurious but there is just a whole lot more going on. I had the Exclusive Nappa in my MB and the Nappa in the BMW seems just as nice. Seat comfort is very comparable although I miss the active contour seats in the MB. The seat position in the BMW is a little lower than I prefer but I am adapting. Fit and finish is the same IMO, with are top notch.

Technology - in the BMW everything is just a little easier. The iDrive is gets the edge between the two although it's close. The thing I love about the BMW is that all the things we all have complained about in the MB on this site are very simple in the BMW i.e. turning the AC off and syncing the AC is done with the press of one button. You can permanently turn off the ECO Start/Stop in the BMW. The Driver assist seems better but at times it can be intrusive especially the lane assist. If you don't have your blinker on when changing lanes the car really resists you changing lanes. The heads up display is so much better because it shows you multiple functions. The 360 cameras are also clearer. Park distance control I like because it gives you a signal much further away from an object than the MB. I am not finding the gesture control to be that big of a deal. I miss having the volume control roller of the MB that's right at your finger tips.

Stereo system - I think they are both pretty equal although the cool factor of the Burmeister blows the BMW away. The B&W system in the BMW is backlit but it's just a little odd to me.

Those are my thoughts after just a few hours in the car. I am sure I am forgetting some things. In the end I think they are both incredible cars but just different. My daughter and wife with agreed with me that the BMW looks like it would appeal to a younger audience while the MB would appeal to a more mature audience. I am in my 50's so I am old enough and young enough to like them both. I have attached some pics for comparison.

Congrats! And thanks for the post!

From the pictures, it appears you have the rear seat tray tables. Is that correct?

In my S Class I have the rear seat tray tables. They are not as sturdy as I would like them to be when I have my laptop on the tray table "banging on the keyboard". I am curious of your impression of the sturdiness of the 7 Series tray tables.

Let us know your thoughts about the tray tables if you have them.

Again, congrats on the new ride!
Old 05-28-2016, 01:54 PM

S550
Originally Posted by Streamliner
When you say your BMW is "fully loaded," is it really? The reason I ask, is that when I "built" a new 750LI on their site, it appeared that there were several options for suspensions, safety systems, etc. In addition, over the years as I have looked at the 7's, I have found it virtually impossible to find one in dealer inventory with all of the bells & whistles. Worse yet, I have found it almost impossible to find a sales person who can even explain to me what these various options are, or what they do and how they work. At least on the S, you either get the Driver's Assistance Pkg or you don't. With the 7, it seems to be much more complicated.
I have every option except the 20" wheels, the Sky Lounge LED Roof and the Autobahn package. I found it pretty easy to find the car I wanted in the colors I wanted. I live in Tampa and leased the car from Pacific BMW in California so I didn't get someone to walk me through the car, saved me about $8k from the best deal I could get from my local dealer. I spent an hour in the car last night and honestly I pretty much have it figured out. It's really very simple in my opinion.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:57 PM

S550
Originally Posted by MTrauman
Congrats! And thanks for the post!

From the pictures, it appears you have the rear seat tray tables. Is that correct?

In my S Class I have the rear seat tray tables. They are not as sturdy as I would like them to be when I have my laptop on the tray table "banging on the keyboard". I am curious of your impression of the sturdiness of the 7 Series tray tables.

Let us know your thoughts about the tray tables if you have them.

Again, congrats on the new ride!
Thanks and there is only one tray table and it is for the right side passenger and it's sturdy like a rock. The executive package is pretty sweet. I wasn't planning on getting it but went with it when I found this car.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:58 PM

S550
Originally Posted by hyperion667
congratulations!

enjoy your new car, I noticed there's M badges? Like the door sills?
Yes I have the M Sport package on the car

And Thanks

So far so good
Old 05-28-2016, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Thanks and there is only one tray table and it is for the right side passenger and it's sturdy like a rock. The executive package is pretty sweet. I wasn't planning on getting it but went with it when I found this car.

My S has two tray tables but as I had thought the 7 Series tray table is a bit more sturdy than the S Class from the videos I have seen in the past of the '16 7 Series tray table.

I really enjoy (actually my 17 year old son enjoys them as well) the rear seat tray tables especially for work related trips when I have extra time to kill--I go in the back seat to get work done.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:12 PM

S550
Originally Posted by MTrauman
My S has two tray tables but as I had thought the 7 Series tray table is a bit more sturdy than the S Class from the videos I have seen in the past of the '16 7 Series tray table.

I really enjoy (actually my 17 year old son enjoys them as well) the rear seat tray tables especially for work related trips when I have extra time to kill--I go in the back seat to get work done.
Yea I can't get my 15 year old daughter to sit in the front sit now
Old 05-28-2016, 11:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 W222 S550 / 2008 E90 328i
Congrats on the new 7!! Thank you for taking the time to write up such a nice comparison of both these incredible cars. I agree that they're both two extremely different cars. My parents have an S550 and my personal car is 328i. I also purchased my 328i from Pacific BMW and had a great experience!

Enjoy the new ride and drive safe!!

Last edited by Iridium222; 06-11-2016 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 429 Posts
W212 FL
I recently drove BMW 7 Series too , prior to deciding what car to have . The other opponent was far away from other side of the galaxy , they call it BMW I8 .Well, I must say I liked very nice cool features embedded in the BMW 7 Series . Ride was not as comfy as it thought it would be despite air ride suspension but that run flat tires might be causing that feeling along with poor road patches
Being a luxury statement car ,BMW 7 Series didn't lack some cool toys just like in ECO Mode , not to be confused by ECO START STOP , I noticed a logo in green color depicting a foot depressing the gas pedal , I asked the test adviser what it was that for he gently said : We are in ECO Mode and it tells you're pushing the gas pedal too deep ,in this mode you must be gentle with the pedal .
Not to mention, digital gauges changes depending on the drive mode and other preferences .
I also liked Distant Control , the car brakes / accelerates on it's own without having to use neither brake or gas pedal . That was a scary thing at first but once you get used to it , I don't think you would dismiss this feature too
My fave model is still W222 S Class but BMW 7 Series has embarked some great improvements that impressed me a lot
Old 05-29-2016, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have every option except the 20" wheels, the Sky Lounge LED Roof and the Autobahn package. I found it pretty easy to find the car I wanted in the colors I wanted. I live in Tampa and leased the car from Pacific BMW in California so I didn't get someone to walk me through the car, saved me about $8k from the best deal I could get from my local dealer. I spent an hour in the car last night and honestly I pretty much have it figured out. It's really very simple in my opinion.
Seriously?
Do you have Driver's Assistance Plus and Driver's Assistance Plus II?
How about the Space Saver Spare? Integral Active Steering? Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound? Panoramic Sky Lounge LED Roof? Wood Inlay Leather Steering Wheel?
Just curious, as I have not seen ANY of those options on dealer inventory cars I have looked at, let alone ALL of them on one car.
aypues (06-06-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 02:05 PM

S550
Seriously?
Do you have Driver's Assistance Plus and Driver's Assistance Plus II?
How about the Space Saver Spare? Integral Active Steering? Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound? Panoramic Sky Lounge LED Roof? Wood Inlay Leather Steering Wheel?
Just curious, as I have not seen ANY of those options on dealer inventory cars I have looked at, let alone ALL of them on one car.
Yes, all but the Sky Lounge and the wood inlay steering wheel. I looked at a similar car with the Sky Lounge and came to the conclusion I didn't have to have it. The Wood Inlay steering wheel is not as impressive as the S550 so I wasn't even searching for it. Pacific BMW was able to find me two cars to choose from. I also found a car in Atlanta with all of these options. They are out there for sure
Old 05-29-2016, 09:03 PM

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
2004 W240 Maybach 57
The seat position in the BMW is a little lower than I prefer but I am adapting.
Can't the UP adjustment correct this? Or maybe you're saying that even after moving the seat up, you get too close to the headliner before you like the sitting height?
Old 05-29-2016, 09:06 PM

S550
Originally Posted by SilberGrau57
Can't the UP adjustment correct this? Or maybe you're saying that even after moving the seat up, you get too close to the headliner before you like the sitting height?
No i can't get the seat up higher. You sit very low in the 7 even with the seat raised all the way. My daughter noticed the same thing
SilberGrau57 (05-29-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, all but the Sky Lounge and the wood inlay steering wheel. I looked at a similar car with the Sky Lounge and came to the conclusion I didn't have to have it. The Wood Inlay steering wheel is not as impressive as the S550 so I wasn't even searching for it. Pacific BMW was able to find me two cars to choose from. I also found a car in Atlanta with all of these options. They are out there for sure
Well, it must be an amazing car. Congratulations, I hope you enjoy it.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:38 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
No i can't get the seat up higher. You sit very low in the 7 even with the seat raised all the way. My daughter noticed the same thing
must be part of the 'ultimate driving experience'
Old 05-30-2016, 09:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 S550
Thanks for the info and impressions. I was watching for a low mileage A8L and happened to drive a friends new 750XI. First BMW I really liked although the dash is kind of funky IMO. Because no two year old new design would be available I decided I should try the S550 for comparison and soon forgot all about the Audi. Still an Audi fan but the S550 has the best interior- I have the S600 interior upgrade and although a little less sporty, way more quiet than the A8L. All in all, I think BMW did a pretty good job in keeping pace with the S550. It will be interesting to see what the next Audi redesign does to raise the bar. Dave
Old 06-05-2016, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swell -
With BMW 7 you have to pick both Driver Assistance packages to get all of the safety features (1 and 2). In my market nearly all of the 750's have both D1 and D2 packages. Finding one the exact what you want, sky lounge, rear ent etc.. and color inside/outside can be daunting. Interesting note about turning lanes w/out blinker. I thought the MB did this as well - was not aware it was only on the new 7.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 S550 4matic (AMG sport package), 2016 Corvette Stingray.
M-Sport is the only way to go in the 7 series IMO. Congrats, give us an update after experiencing the car a bit more.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mercedes S550
Enjoy your new 7! I appreciate your comparison. My S lease is up in October.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:43 AM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
no MBs at the moment :(
. I live in Tampa and leased the car from Pacific BMW in California
Greg Poland? He's awesome. Prior to buying my E63, I told him my main regret about not getting a BMW was that he didn't sell MB's!
Old 06-09-2016, 05:27 PM

S550
Originally Posted by CliffJumper
Greg Poland? He's awesome. Prior to buying my E63, I told him my main regret about not getting a BMW was that he didn't sell MB's!
Yes. He just made the process so simple and professional. I don't think I have had a better buying experience.