S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Intro and why I bought it (vs the BMW, Panamera, Tesla)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 03:46 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
S550LWB 4matic
Intro and why I bought it (vs the BMW, Panamera, Tesla)

Great to meet everyone, I've read a lot of what's already been posted and look forward to interacting in the future!

My car is on the boat over from Germany to Toronto as I type this. I went with the following options (well the dealer did, and let me know they had one on it's way once I gave him my wish list):
-S550L
-AMG styling (a bonus, but I didn't care)
-High End Burmester (a must)
-Premium package with intelligent drive (both musts)
-Black on black (I would have gone silver as well)
-Metallized Ash Trim (a definite must!, one of the most beautiful unique trims I've ever seen in a car)

I will be using this as my main commuter car. I travel in bad start stop traffic 45 mins each way to work.

I also have a 2012 911 turbo and an Infiniti FX37 suv (which has kind of just turned into the barn car for my partner)

My goals when looking were to find the smoothest, most comfortable ride with an amazing stereo and most beautiful aesthetics.

Since I already have the 911 for the "thrill of driving" and to take to the track, I didn't need a sedan which did it all. I didn't want to skimp on luxury for a sedan that was trying to be a of sports car as well (which put the panamera out of the game).

After doing all my research and driving the 2016 versions of the competition there was NO question in my mind. The Benz is the one that isn't confused, isn't trying to be something it's not. In my opinion if you are buying a full sized sedan to "drive hard and feel the connection with the road" you are missing the point.

I will admit the Panamera and 2016 BMW750 handle a bit better when getting on the throttle on the on ramp (the panamera is actually crazy good at that stuff), they just don't come close to how the Benz glides over the shi**y downtown roads and street car tracks of Toronto. It blew me away how you could put one side of the car on a strip of uneven cement and the other on decent ash fault and you couldn't really even tell which side of the road was worse (I took the cars on roads my *** knows every single crack of in the Porsche). The BMW was close, but I found that in the comfort plus the car became too "floaty". The 550 handled all the bumps without destabilizing the car in the process. Even in the corners, on initial turn in I was amazed how easy it was to trail brake, stabilize the Benz, and throttle steer around the on-off ramps. I was expecting a car of this size and weight to be more of a handful. It "performs" waaaaay better than I will ever ask it to. And the stop start cruze control with steering assist is going to make my life soooooooooo much better.

As far as the Tesla goes, I'm just not ready to have to think too hard about my road trips, charging stations, and winter battery capabilities (which despite what is said on the Tesla sites, is a major factor here is the deep sub zero winters according to people I know with model S's). I love all the automation, and as a 41yo who is super into tech stuff the car is definitely "cool and interesting", but after sitting in it for 2 seconds after you've sat in the s class you see how far they have to still come to compete on quality of interior and luxury feel, and I wasn't willing to give that up.

So in summary for what I wanted the car for, the S550L was the clear winner (I got the L because I thought it drove a bit smoother, and at 6'4" was the only way anyone was ever going to sit behind me).

Second for me would be the newly designed BMW750 (better tech than the Merc, but a compromise on the luxury and smooth ride).

The Panamera just isn't a luxury car, and the Tesla still has a ways to go in the styling and ride department, though it is cool.

I can't wait for my ride to get here, will post some pics when it arrives, and look forward to interacting with everyone!

-Jay
The following 4 users liked this post by JayinToronto:
absent (06-05-2016), gerbs (06-06-2016), SilberGrau57 (06-05-2016), syswei (06-05-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JayinToronto
Great to meet everyone, I've read a lot of what's already been posted and look forward to interacting in the future!

My car is on the boat over from Germany to Toronto as I type this. I went with the following options (well the dealer did, and let me know they had one on it's way once I gave him my wish list):
-S550L
-AMG styling (a bonus, but I didn't care)
-High End Burmester (a must)
-Premium package with intelligent drive (both musts)
-Black on black (I would have gone silver as well)
-Metallized Ash Trim (a definite must!, one of the most beautiful unique trims I've ever seen in a car)

I will be using this as my main commuter car. I travel in bad start stop traffic 45 mins each way to work.

I also have a 2012 911 turbo and an Infiniti FX37 suv (which has kind of just turned into the barn car for my partner)

My goals when looking were to find the smoothest, most comfortable ride with an amazing stereo and most beautiful aesthetics.

Since I already have the 911 for the "thrill of driving" and to take to the track, I didn't need a sedan which did it all. I didn't want to skimp on luxury for a sedan that was trying to be a of sports car as well (which put the panamera out of the game).

After doing all my research and driving the 2016 versions of the competition there was NO question in my mind. The Benz is the one that isn't confused, isn't trying to be something it's not. In my opinion if you are buying a full sized sedan to "drive hard and feel the connection with the road" you are missing the point.

I will admit the Panamera and 2016 BMW750 handle a bit better when getting on the throttle on the on ramp (the panamera is actually crazy good at that stuff), they just don't come close to how the Benz glides over the shi**y downtown roads and street car tracks of Toronto. It blew me away how you could put one side of the car on a strip of uneven cement and the other on decent ash fault and you couldn't really even tell which side of the road was worse (I took the cars on roads my *** knows every single crack of in the Porsche). The BMW was close, but I found that in the comfort plus the car became too "floaty". The 550 handled all the bumps without destabilizing the car in the process. Even in the corners, on initial turn in I was amazed how easy it was to trail brake, stabilize the Benz, and throttle steer around the on-off ramps. I was expecting a car of this size and weight to be more of a handful. It "performs" waaaaay better than I will ever ask it to. And the stop start cruze control with steering assist is going to make my life soooooooooo much better.

As far as the Tesla goes, I'm just not ready to have to think too hard about my road trips, charging stations, and winter battery capabilities (which despite what is said on the Tesla sites, is a major factor here is the deep sub zero winters according to people I know with model S's). I love all the automation, and as a 41yo who is super into tech stuff the car is definitely "cool and interesting", but after sitting in it for 2 seconds after you've sat in the s class you see how far they have to still come to compete on quality of interior and luxury feel, and I wasn't willing to give that up.

So in summary for what I wanted the car for, the S550L was the clear winner (I got the L because I thought it drove a bit smoother, and at 6'4" was the only way anyone was ever going to sit behind me).

Second for me would be the newly designed BMW750 (better tech than the Merc, but a compromise on the luxury and smooth ride).

The Panamera just isn't a luxury car, and the Tesla still has a ways to go in the styling and ride department, though it is cool.

I can't wait for my ride to get here, will post some pics when it arrives, and look forward to interacting with everyone!

-Jay
Great write up, fabulous first post.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,392 Likes on 1,934 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
When you get it, please post photos of the interior. I don't think I have ever seen that wood with a black interior.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:43 PM

S550LWB 4matic
Will do. They had one in the show room and I was blow away by it.

Originally Posted by Streamliner
When you get it, please post photos of the interior. I don't think I have ever seen that wood with a black interior.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:02 PM

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
2004 W240 Maybach 57
I think we're on the same wavelength! From 1993 to 2006, I had the W140 S320. Not a performance sedan by any stretch, but the quietest and most luxurious car of its day. Then I went to the dark side for 10 years (BMW 545i Sport Manual and M6 V10 SMG). Recently I returned to the fold with the W240 Maybach 57, again the most luxurious car of its day. The big Mercedes does nothing in a hurry. All is damped and controlled.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
Congrats, Jay, and I enjoyed reading your thoughts.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Nice write up

And I can hear the tesla fanboys running over to post in 3.....2.....
Old 06-05-2016, 10:38 PM

S550LWB 4matic
That V10 must have been something else to feel (and hear!). Unfortunately those days of the big naturally aspirated beasts are going the way of the dodo. I'm really looking forward to getting to know the pinnacle of damped and controlled. Very cool engineering in it's own right.

Originally Posted by SilberGrau57
I think we're on the same wavelength! From 1993 to 2006, I had the W140 S320. Not a performance sedan by any stretch, but the quietest and most luxurious car of its day. Then I went to the dark side for 10 years (BMW 545i Sport Manual and M6 V10 SMG). Recently I returned to the fold with the W240 Maybach 57, again the most luxurious car of its day. The big Mercedes does nothing in a hurry. All is damped and controlled.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:40 PM

S550LWB 4matic
Bring them on! I also know people who think plastic flowers look as good as real ones.

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Nice write up

And I can hear the tesla fanboys running over to post in 3.....2.....
Old 06-05-2016, 10:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by JayinToronto
Bring them on! I also know people who think plastic flowers look as good as real ones.
Lol!!

Can't wait to see pics