S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

horrible experience with Loeber Motors Mercedes dealership

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 01:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 S550
horrible experience with Loeber Motors Mercedes dealership

RACIST (sales dept) & DISHONEST/FRAUDULENT (service dept)
Two years ago when I initially purchased my S550 from Loeber Motors (Lincolnwood, IL), the finance manager, Michael Nemeth tried to sell me pre-paid auto service. When I declined the pre-paid service plan and paid cash (so the finance manager couldn't make money on financing either) for my car, he was very upset and walked out of the office and cursed me out to a co-worker in the hallway. I over-heard him calling me a 'F***ken Chinaman". When i confronted him about it he denied it and his co-worker made an excuse for him saying he didn't mean it in a bad way. Unfortunately, I bought the car anyway since all the paperwork was already signed. So I wrote a negative review on the customer service survey i was emailed by Mercedes Benz. Due to this bad review, Joe Rupp (the sales manager) refused to honor their promise, when I purchased the car, to fill up my gas tank (about $80 worth of gas for this car).

Now, 2 years later, I took my car in for SERVICE B, and was quoted a price of $391 over the phone. However, when I got there, the service consultant, Dan Shahid, lied and claimed that the standard SERVICE B does not include changing the cabin filter or the brake fluid (I checked with another dealership and online forums - it is a standard part of SERVICE B that is done by every other dealership). Dan Shaid said if i wanted that done as well, it would cost $759!!! This is FRAUDULENT bait & switch. Rather than argue with Dan Shahid about his obviously false statement that standard SERVICE B doesn't include the filter or brake fluid, I left the dealership and will be going to another MB dealership that does the same SERVICE B (inclusive of the cabin filter & brake fluid) for $600. Stay away from this dealership, they are both racist & dishonest.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,322 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by cheapbrass
Two years ago when I initially purchased my S550 from Loeber Motors (Lincolnwood, IL), the finance manager, Michael Nemeth tried to sell me pre-paid auto service. When I declined the pre-paid service plan and paid cash (so the finance manager couldn't make money on financing either) for my car, he was very upset and walked out of the office and cursed me out to a co-worker in the hallway. I over-heard him calling me a 'F***ken Chinaman". When i confronted him about it he denied it and his co-worker made an excuse for him saying he didn't mean it in a bad way. Unfortunately, I bought the car anyway since all the paperwork was already signed. So I wrote a negative review on the customer service survey i was emailed by Mercedes Benz. Due to this bad review, Joe Rupp (the sales manager) refused to honor their promise, when I purchased the car, to fill up my gas tank (about $80 worth of gas for this car).

Now, 2 years later, I took my car in for SERVICE B, and was quoted a price of $391 over the phone. However, when I got there, the service consultant, Dan Shahid, lied and claimed that the standard SERVICE B does not include changing the cabin filter or the brake fluid (I checked with another dealership and online forums - it is a standard part of SERVICE B that is done by every other dealership). Dan Shaid said if i wanted that done as well, it would cost $759!!! This is FRAUDULENT bait & switch. Rather than argue with Dan Shahid about his obviously false statement that standard SERVICE B doesn't include the filter or brake fluid, I left the dealership and will be going to another MB dealership that does the same SERVICE B (inclusive of the cabin filter & brake fluid) for $600. Stay away from this dealership, they are both racist & dishonest.
Why on earth did you even consider going back there for service B or anything!!??

I would have contacted Mbusa when the sale went down and let them open up a case.

Btw I have had that experience in the finance office with the finance guy many times at many different dealerships - they tend to have the least customer relation skills and are often rude when they realize they aren't making their money
Old 07-22-2016, 02:57 PM

Received 181 Likes on 115 Posts
2015 E400 and 2015 GLK350
Sorry you had those problems. I didn't.

My family and I have purchased numerous cars from Loeber over the past 25 years or so, with good to great results.
Every case is different. I'm not saying your case didn't happen. Just that it may not be the norm for that store.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:14 PM

2015 S550
That's why I gave them a second chance, thinking maybe it was just a bad day for the finance manager. But, after this 2nd experience with them trying to Bait & Switch / Scam me on simple Servicing...I won't be going back to them ever again.

Originally Posted by SteveE400
Sorry you had those problems. I didn't.

My family and I have purchased numerous cars from Loeber over the past 25 years or so, with good to great results.
Every case is different. I'm not saying your case didn't happen. Just that it may not be the norm for that store.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
WOW, if that happened to me while purchasing a MB, I'd walk out the door and file a complaint with MB, regardless of paperwork, listing their names and what they said, MBUSA needs to know about these things, I'm sure they don't want ignorant racist people representing their company.

I wish you would file such a complaint with MBUSA now, they need to hear about this.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,939 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Very sorry to hear of your experience. You need to call MBUSA and write an old fashioned letter, on paper and mail it to them. This is 2016 and there is no excuse for this type of behavior--not that there ever was. Oh well. The idiot probably lives in a dangerous neighborhood and drives a CLA. LIVING WELL IS THE BEST REVENGE! You go Brass!
Old 07-22-2016, 10:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Streamliner
Very sorry to hear of your experience. You need to call MBUSA and write an old fashioned letter, on paper and mail it to them. This is 2016 and there is no excuse for this type of behavior--not that there ever was. Oh well. The idiot probably lives in a dangerous neighborhood and drives a CLA. LIVING WELL IS THE BEST REVENGE! You go Brass!
When I wasn't getting my way at Benz with my buyback I sent a very polite letter to Steve cannon at Mbusa

Everything fell into place after that
Old 07-22-2016, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,939 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
When I wasn't getting my way at Benz with my buyback I sent a very polite letter to Steve cannon at Mbusa

Everything fell into place after that
With probably 90%+ of all communication being verbal or electronic these days, a well written, hard copy letter--preferably on nice stationary--really gets people's attention.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Streamliner
With probably 90%+ of all communication being verbal or electronic these days, a well written, hard copy letter--preferably on nice stationary--really gets people's attention.
Couldn't agree with you more
Old 07-23-2016, 11:42 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
that bit about the chinaman really burns me up, sorry you have to deal with such weaklings.......

good luck
Old 07-23-2016, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D

So sorry this happened to you. Hate to say this but I concur with others that the first mistake was going through with the sale after they did this and the second mistake was going back to them for service.

If something like this happened to me or even anyone I knew personally, I would have gone thermonuclear on them. First of all there would no longer be a sale and I'd be speaking with someone very high up at MBUSA concerning this matter with perhaps a nice dose of local media involved as well.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:15 PM

2015 S550
update

so I have an update to the story. I had posted about this experience (same post as on this board) on Yelp. Any advice on what I should do? remove the review?

https://www.yelp.com/user_details?us...-qVG-xCAnU7kuw

Today, I received a strange phone call from some guy pretending to be named "Robert" threatening me with a lawsuit. Unfortunately his caller ID was blocked.

Robert: “Is this xxx?”
Me: “speaking”
Robert: “my name is Robert and I want you to know that my client will be suing you for Defamation of Character”
Me: “who is this?”
Robert: “I told you my name is Robert”
Me: “what is your last name?”
Robert: “I am not going to tell you that.”
Me: “Who do you represent?”
Me: “What is this about?”
Robert: “I am going to file a “big *** lawsuit” against you if you don’t remove the yelp review.
Me: “What yelp review?”
Robert: “You know which one I am talking about”
Me: “Are you an attorney?”
Robert: “Yes I am”

Robert Hangs up.

Last edited by cheapbrass; 08-04-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
so I have an update to the story. I had posted about this experience (same post as on this board) on Yelp. Any advice on what I should do? remove the review?

Today, I received a strange phone call from some guy pretending to be named "Robert" threatening me with a lawsuit. Unfortunately his caller ID was blocked.

Robert: “my name is Robert and I want you to know that my client will be suing you for Defamation of Character”
Robert: “I am going to file a “big *** lawsuit” against you if you don’t remove the yelp review.

Robert Hangs up.
The fact that a "real" lawyer would not give his last name or who he represents are major red flags he is just bluffing. I'm no lawyer, and I would talk to one, they offer free consultations. I would think reviews are covered under the first amendment. Defamation is defined as "is the communication of a false statement that harms the reputation of an individual person, business, product, group, government, religion, or nation."
It is up to the dealer to prove their case. Bottom line, contact a lawyer just in case, but as of yet they have not done a thing other than try to intimidate you.I would keep the review up.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Shocking as I've know a few people to purchase from them, being from Chicago myself.

Is George Loeber still alive? I know they don't have the location on Clark street in Chicago anymore, but I wasn't sure about in Lincolnwood. They're still family owned or just in name?

M
Old 08-04-2016, 04:04 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I didn't see your comment in the link provided, but I wouldn't remove it.....this is the internet
Old 08-04-2016, 04:12 PM

2015 S550
Originally Posted by mrapplegate
The fact that a "real" lawyer would not give his last name or who he represents are major red flags he is just bluffing. I'm no lawyer, and I would talk to one, they offer free consultations. I would think reviews are covered under the first amendment. Defamation is defined as "is the communication of a false statement that harms the reputation of an individual person, business, product, group, government, religion, or nation."
It is up to the dealer to prove their case. Bottom line, contact a lawyer just in case, but as of yet they have not done a thing other than try to intimidate you.I would keep the review up.
Yes, I agree this "Robert" guy was no lawyer. I also think he is just bluffing. I know legally they have nothing to stand on since I truth is a defense to any defamation suit. I also consulted with a lawyer buddy of mine. We both agree I would win in court. The problem is the hassle of defending such a law suit, where I really don't stand to gain anything.

The other worrisome problem is that they have my personal info (name, address, phone, etc). While, I am not sure how much the Loeber dealership themselves are involved in this threat, I wouldn't put it past some of these individuals to take things to a personal level. So for the time being, I have removed the review. But if anything escalates, I will definitely take direct legal action, or if sued, I will counter-sue. And of course escalate this up to corporate.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:23 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
You'll likely find the "Robert" on this page, note there is 1 actual Robert listed, my guess is the caller sits next to him

http://www.loebermotors.com/team-loe...-in-chicago-il
Old 08-04-2016, 05:52 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven

Robert Hangs up.

I had a few similar phone calls when I left the employment of another tuning firm several years ago (this is Jo). They never amounted to anything, for what that's worth.

That said, I've never had that kind of experience with Loeber. Did you try reaching out to the GM/ownership?
Old 08-04-2016, 06:06 PM

2015 S550
Originally Posted by Speedriven1
I had a few similar phone calls when I left the employment of another tuning firm several years ago (this is Jo). They never amounted to anything, for what that's worth.

That said, I've never had that kind of experience with Loeber. Did you try reaching out to the GM/ownership?
No, I only went up to their General Sales Manager (Joe R) level when this initially happened. Their GM just made excuses to the effect of don't take it seriously, he didn't mean it, or maybe you misheard him.

After I completed the customer service survey that MB emailed me and conveyed the racist incident in the survey, the GM stone-walled me when I asked for the full-tank of gas that he promised when I initially purchased the car. He said that he is not going to honor the gas promises since I gave them bad marks on the customer service survey. With this kind of management, I didn't see any reason to expect any better service higher up the chain of command.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:01 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
guy sounds like a big baby..........better off going somewhere else.......sometimes I get the "I'm jealous of your car so I'm treating you like crap" feeling from the dealers LOL
Old 08-05-2016, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Yes, I agree this "Robert" guy was no lawyer. I also think he is just bluffing. I know legally they have nothing to stand on since I truth is a defense to any defamation suit. I also consulted with a lawyer buddy of mine. We both agree I would win in court. The problem is the hassle of defending such a law suit, where I really don't stand to gain anything.

The other worrisome problem is that they have my personal info (name, address, phone, etc). While, I am not sure how much the Loeber dealership themselves are involved in this threat, I wouldn't put it past some of these individuals to take things to a personal level. So for the time being, I have removed the review. But if anything escalates, I will definitely take direct legal action, or if sued, I will counter-sue. And of course escalate this up to corporate.
You're right. In the end you have to do what is best for you. It's not worth defending a lawsuit. You have to pick your own battles and know when it's best to just go on with your life.