S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Nickel & Diming from dealership on Service B

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 S550; 2008 E350
Nickel & Diming from dealership on Service B

I made an online appointment with the closest dealer for my 2014 s550 that I had purchased as a CPO a year ago from the same dealership. I had been quoted a price of $443.95, but I noted in my appointment that I had a coupon from the other dealership in town offering Service B at $379.95. Just to be safe, I sent an email with the same info to my SA, and he replied "No Problem".

I took my car in on Saturday at 11:15 am. Was greeted by a new SA who said that my SA had been "let go", and that he would be my new SA. I told him about the $379.95 coupon, and he said he saw that on the appointment notes. However, Service B at the other dealership did not include the same things as at his dealership. Huh? His dealership does a 19 point inspection, while the other only does half of that, which is why they are cheaper. Ok - rather than argue, I told him I would use a 20% coupon that his dealership had mailed me- essentially making the price about the same. He said that would be fine, and gave me a written estimate of $443.87 (which would then be discounted 20%). He then tries to upsell me a fuel injector service - "even if I have an issue with one fuel injector, it would cost me a lot of money". I declined telling him I have extended warranty. "there are a lot of loopholes in the warranty even though it is bumper to bumper". I decline. Car is going to be ready at 4 PM, or worst case Monday.

Today, Monday morning, I get a call that the car is ready. I tell him I will be there to pick it up within the hour. 10 minutes later, I get a call that he was likely to be busy when I come, so he would like to go over my invoice on the phone. Great.

"The filters on my car are more expensive", so my bill is going to be $487 even after my 20% discount. What?? I tell him I am not paying any more than the written estimate of $443.87 less 20% plus tax. He says "fine. I will reduce some other charges".

I picked the car up, and the invoice was $398, still about $15 more than agreed to, but I pay and leave.

I expect this kind of treatment at the local garage, not the MB dealership. I have not experienced this in the past - the charges have always been what we agreed to - more or less.

I will note this on my MB survey, but do you think I should make a fuss with Corporate? If so, does anyone have an email address of where to complain?

Thanks
Old 08-01-2016, 05:26 PM

Received 308 Likes on 200 Posts
S600
Be thankful its not a Ferrari.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:56 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
I suggest you post your experience on yelp.com. Also report your experience to the government authorities in your state.

Note: Even if your repair is not covered by the Motor Vehicle Repair Act, you are still protected by the North Carolina Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices Act.

If you have a complaint about auto repairs contact us for help or call toll free within North Carolina at 1-877-5-NO-SCAM.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:19 PM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
B service at Charlotte NC Mercedes Dealer

I think the SA saying his service was different than another MB dealer is BS. The service items are established by MB Headquarters, not local dealers. I would definitely rip them a new one with MB. Just for info, I may have to make a non planned trip to Charlotte for a family issue and was debating getting my service there vs here in Illinois. I think this will make me rethink that plan.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:28 PM

2014 S550; 2008 E350
Originally Posted by Isawelvis
I think the SA saying his service was different than another MB dealer is BS. The service items are established by MB Headquarters, not local dealers. I would definitely rip them a new one with MB. Just for info, I may have to make a non planned trip to Charlotte for a family issue and was debating getting my service there vs here in Illinois. I think this will make me rethink that plan.
If you do decide to get the service done in Charlotte, PM me with your email and I will scan the 20% coupon for you.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:47 AM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2005 E320 CDI (SOLD); 2008 ML320 CDI 4MATIC
Do you know if this MB dealership is owned by AutoNation or private? Reason I ask is we have both flavors here in Florida & my experience so far has been that AutoNation dealership quotes usually come in slightly cheaper for same work but quality of work suffers because they are time-crunchers on their techs. My most recent experience was having an injector seal replaced. AutoNation charged me $158. They reused the stretch bolt even though WIS called for replacement & I suspect they just dropped in a new seal rather than clean the carbonization off sealing surface. I opened hood to inspect work when I got home & a 14mm snap-on wrench fell out of the engine bay. I'd say that tech was obviously pressed for time. Within 5k miles same injector seal began leaking compression again. The private dealership charged me $223 for same repair but I felt more confident about the job & that it was done right because I was allowed to actually interact with the tech via SA (very taboo with AutoNation) & verified all steps of procedure would be followed (such as replacement of stretch bolt for injector clamp, lapping of surface on head where seal makes contact, proper torque of new stretch bolt). I haven't reached another 5k miles yet but feel pretty confident that repair will last longer this time. IMHO, you get more 'bang' for your buck at non-AutoNation dealerships even though it might cost a little more...JMHO.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:36 AM

2014 S550; 2008 E350
I am pretty sure both Charlotte MB dealerships are privately owned.

I haven't had a problem with the quality of work at either one thus far. MB of S. Charlotte must have recently started putting pressure on the SAs to generate more revenue - this experience was a first for me.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:43 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
Originally Posted by PSDCampervan
Do you know if this MB dealership is owned by AutoNation or private? Reason I ask is we have both flavors here in Florida & my experience so far has been that AutoNation dealership quotes usually come in slightly cheaper for same work but quality of work suffers because they are time-crunchers on their techs. My most recent experience was having an injector seal replaced. AutoNation charged me $158. They reused the stretch bolt even though WIS called for replacement & I suspect they just dropped in a new seal rather than clean the carbonization off sealing surface. I opened hood to inspect work when I got home & a 14mm snap-on wrench fell out of the engine bay. I'd say that tech was obviously pressed for time. Within 5k miles same injector seal began leaking compression again. The private dealership charged me $223 for same repair but I felt more confident about the job & that it was done right because I was allowed to actually interact with the tech via SA (very taboo with AutoNation) & verified all steps of procedure would be followed (such as replacement of stretch bolt for injector clamp, lapping of surface on head where seal makes contact, proper torque of new stretch bolt). I haven't reached another 5k miles yet but feel pretty confident that repair will last longer this time. IMHO, you get more 'bang' for your buck at non-AutoNation dealerships even though it might cost a little more...JMHO.
Look at the back side of the paperwork from your first repair. It should have the standard MBUSA repair warranty terms. If it does, I would demand that the first dealer refund the entire cost of the faulty work. If they refuse, contact MBUSA and let them know.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:55 PM

2014 S550; 2008 E350
Originally Posted by mmehtas
I am pretty sure both Charlotte MB dealerships are privately owned.

I haven't had a problem with the quality of work at either one thus far. MB of S. Charlotte must have recently started putting pressure on the SAs to generate more revenue - this experience was a first for me.
I guess I spoke too soon! I had a plastic pipe under the engine on the passenger side come loose and hang down scraping along the ground in May. Tucked it back up and had the dealer fix it. They tell me that it's a sunroof drain pipe and there are two of them - one on the driver's side, and one on the passenger.

One month later, same pipe is loose again. They fix it again, and now, exactly two months later, it's scraping along the ground again. Have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. Sigh. Luckily they never charged me.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
dealers are scumbags. They can afford those fancy buildings and cappucinos because they make it a point to beat you up in every way possible during service, including when you don't need it. Most benz owners wouldn't know an air filter from a spare tire, so the dealers get away with it.
The following users liked this post:
hyperion667 (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Write a letter

Originally Posted by mmehtas
I will note this on my MB survey, but do you think I should make a fuss with Corporate? If so, does anyone have an email address of where to complain?
Thanks
First make sure you rate the appropriate areas of the survy at 6 - that really gets their attention. 8 and above they ignore.
Second. Do a search and get name of MBUSA CEO and mailing address of MBUSA in Atlanta GA. Then write a calm, professional letter expressing your displeasure.
I have written letters about cars and other things in the past. They get noticed. Emails go to a low level person who will respond and may or may not actually forward it to another low level person who will ignore it. Then they delete it.
While a letter can be trashed, it is a solid object that has to be handled by one or more people.
However, be warned. MBUSA will probably respond that they do not set dealer prices. They are independent of the corporation.
Incidentally the upselling of fuel injector services is a standard scam by all dealerhips and even independents. Use Top Tier gas and maybe throw in some Chevron Techron a couple of times a year and your injectors are clean.

Last edited by El Cid; 08-04-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
What I learned from owning and serving Mercedes vehicles is to never go by the lettered services. ALWAYS go by what is explicitly on the owner's manual. This way you are doing everything you need to do and nothing more.

Also ALWAYS ask for an a la carte service schedule for each item requested in the owner's manual. Oftentimes you can take care of minor items like the cabin air filter on your own just by buying the part at the dealer.

They like to do the alphabet game with services so customers never really know or understand what they are paying for and dealers love it when customers have no clue what they are getting other than knowing the cost.

Turn that on it's head by asking for a la carte service schedule so you can get done what you need based on the manual. Also this way no dealer can tell you BS about their service being different than competing dealers.
The following users liked this post:
Ormond2004 (08-07-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The "lettered services" are MB's nomenclature for services, not dealerships. So what is listed for them is what MB reauires and recommends. However, the dealers can add to that. Therefore their A service may include more than another dealer's A service. Ask for a list of what they are going to do.
I see this all the time at other dealerships. There is the manufacturer's 20,000 mile service and then there is the dealership's 20,000 mile service.
NEVER just tell a dealer you want an X mile or X months service without knowing what that really means.
Best advice is to look in your maintenance manual and see what MB recommends for "A" service, "B", etc. based on mileage or months since last service.
Some dealerships just alternate A and B, while others refer to them as A, B, C, D, and on.
MB specifies Recommended and Required. Required is what they think you should have done to keep warranty in effect. Recommended is nice to do.
Talk to the SA re: what you can skip if you have low mileage.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,391 Likes on 1,934 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Find a dealer you like and STAY THERE! Get to know your SA and always ask for him or her when you need service. Always give them the opportunity to correct errors and give them great reviews. If you need tires and their price is in the ballpark, give them the business. Then, when you need an accommodation or you have a problem, you won't be dealing with strangers, you will have someone on your side. I have bought or leased sixty brand new cars over my years and being loyal to a good dealer almost always pays off in spades in the long run, whether it be covering a gray area warranty issue or having your new car moved up on the delivery schedule--at least this has been my experience. Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
El Cid (08-08-2016), swaynesworld (08-09-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 06:47 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
I think all dealers are the same: driven to take your money...and aholes...at all cost....pun intended.....some are just better at making you think they give a crap
Old 08-08-2016, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Great advice

Originally Posted by Streamliner
Find a dealer you like and STAY THERE! Get to know your SA and always ask for him or her when you need service. Always give them the opportunity to correct errors and give them great reviews. If you need tires and their price is in the ballpark, give them the business. Then, when you need an accommodation or you have a problem, you won't be dealing with strangers, you will have someone on your side. I have bought or leased sixty brand new cars over my years and being loyal to a good dealer almost always pays off in spades in the long run, whether it be covering a gray area warranty issue or having your new car moved up on the delivery schedule--at least this has been my experience. Good luck!
That has been my experience as well. The small amount extra you pay could be considered the same as insurance. It will pay when you really need it.
In fact, I wish my MB vehicle was as good as the service departement at the dealership.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 S550 4matic
Originally Posted by Streamliner
This has also been my experience. I'm new at my local Benz dealership but I did due my due diligence when i came to the SA that had integrity. My boss goes to the same SA so there's that.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,391 Likes on 1,934 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Originally Posted by swaynesworld
This has also been my experience. I'm new at my local Benz dealership but I did due my due diligence when i came to the SA that had integrity. My boss goes to the same SA so there's that.
Believe me, this SA lives and DIES for your 5 Star reviews. He will bend over backwards to make you happy.