S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Update to S 550 Cab - colors & reacap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014-GL 450
Update to S 550 Cab - colors & reacap

Following up on the comments for detail on my S 550 Cab , here are my observations. Understand they are subjective. The vehicle I ordered was a little different. Before I ordered it , I took a S-550 coupe out for a bit so had some basis to compare it to the ordered vehicle. The color I ordered was Ruby Black metallic and comes with a dark red top with a black dinamica inner lining. The coupe I drove had the same Bengal red / black interior and designo metalized ash wood - the metalized ash wood on this coupe was a matt satin finish. The interior seemed dark in the coupe and with a convertible top being up and with no sunroof was concerned it would be even darker. The dealer was able to special order the interior headliner which normally comes as a black dinimica with the Bengal red / black to a gray dinamica. I thought it would be lighter with the gray dinamica roof headliner in the interior and be somewhat of a match to the designo metalized ash wood. The car arrived and the designo metalized ash wood was a gloss finish which I liked better than the satin. The roof interior did lighten the interior. Special thanks to BillyD & GermanCar1 in this MB newsgroup who helped provide advanced information and clarification. Sometimes there is more info on this site than the dealer knowledge base.

General Observations: ( the good and the areas lacking )

Dark red exterior top is closer to a very dark red / brown Ruby Black is principally black when darker. When in sunlight it has a high level of gold metallic turning it a reddish / dark brown. It has intense dimensional properties when under sunlight . Have had obsidian black before so I know the challenges of black. Washed the vehicle a few times , it cleans up fine.

The 9 speed transmission is peppy and ultra smooth in shifts. Unintentionally , starting out on several occasions from a stop I have left rubber behind. I cant imagine an S- 63, it must be a rocket ship. Observation is it much quicker off the line than my CL 550 which had a 5 liter I believe. Car seems to be wider and perhaps lower than the CL. This car is not to be made driven in the comfort setting. Rear seat is marginal - seems like they could have added a few more inches here. Deploying the roof up or down it is very fast and smooth. Very nice with a roof this large. Seats and setting are great. Wind buffeting has been minimized even without using the screen and diverter. The handling is superb much like a sports car half the size. The heads up display is a nice novelty but I discovered of significance is having the display show right in front of you ( me ) how fast you are going and a reference to the posted speed limit . I noticed on several occasions , I slowed to the posted speed limit. In this respect , its a great option. Night view assist , I have had it before in other vehicles , it works well. Some people like it and use it , some people dont. The ride is firm and tight yet comfortable depending on settings.

What was a waste or disappointment is the Swarovski Crystal Headlamps ( they look great but ONLY operate when the directional s are flashing ) waste of money and limited design value. The Burmester High-End 3D Surround System in my car is absolutely sub par contrary to what has been discussed on this forum.( dont beat the messenger - I know it has an equalizer , sound profiles , vip/bal selection ) At lower volumes it lacks clarity and definition ( sounds muffled like a blanket on the speakers) even with a CD. Cranking the volume , it improves but not worth the money in its current state. Will bring it in for service but dont want them ripping things apart substituting parts without research , I think it is what it is. The rear kick operated trunk opener is intermittent and better suited on a family crossover vehicle. The phone audio quality blew me away. Its is so clear bidirectionally even with the top down. They could add a bit more trim and touches such as interior chromed finishes when the door is opened and upgraded trim for the designo. Subjective but nonetheless noted. The telematics could be a bit more intuitive. The automatic shut off at a stop light is a pain but easily defeated by switching to sport mode. The bottom display strip in the drivers display showing the miles per hour cannot be switched from Kmh to Mph according to my dealer. Makes no sense.

The vehicle is a pleasure to drive and would equate it in feel more to a sports car than a sedan in handling. Fit and finish is good as what one would expect. Noticed on the interior trunk lid the paint had what looked like an imperfection - dirt in finish ( its in the inside trunk lid and would rather leave it ) No other issues up to this point, very pleased with it so far less the audio system . Dealer [ Flagship Motors , Lynnfiield , ma ] has been very responsive when needed or questions arise. Hope this helps and overall I am very pleased.

build as follows

897 Ruby Black Metallic
321 Sport package
793 AMG Twin 5 spoke 19" alloy wheels
997 Designo Bengal Red / Black interior
special order substituting the black dinimica headliner for the gray headliner ( dash wood is gray metallic and it will lighten the cabin as well as complement the dash )
H06 Designo Metallized Ash Wood
746 Dark Red Soft Top
314 Multi function Wood / Leather sport steering wheel
5U5 Swarovski Crystal Headlamps
610 Night View Assist plus
811 Burmester High-End 3D Surround System
P34 Exclusive Upholstery code
PO1 Premium package
997 Driver Assistance package
U04 Designo floor mats
Hope this helps and if I can answer any questions , reach out. This group was the best source of information during the ordering process and glad to pay it forward.
Attached Thumbnails Update to S 550 Cab - colors & reacap-img_1350.jpg   Update to S 550 Cab - colors & reacap-img_1348.jpg   Update to S 550 Cab - colors & reacap-img_1347.jpg   Update to S 550 Cab - colors & reacap-img_1338.jpg   Update to S 550 Cab - colors & reacap-img_1344.jpg  

Update to S 550 Cab - colors & reacap-img_1333.jpg   Update to S 550 Cab - colors & reacap-img_1341.jpg   Update to S 550 Cab - colors & reacap-img_1343.jpg   Update to S 550 Cab - colors & reacap-img_1345.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Ormond2004 (08-27-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swell -
Love the top, love the interior, love .. well actually your entire build. I'm a bit surprised the 3d sound not living up. Have you compared the 3d system in the sedan to see if your's is lacking or due to it being a cab?
Old 08-27-2016, 10:29 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mercedes S550
I've got the upgraded sound system. Perhaps you have fewer speakers. I have a large one attached to the ceiling, rear doors, etcetera.

Your build is beautiful. Drive it in good health!
Old 08-28-2016, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,393 Likes on 1,934 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Excellent review. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I hope you have many great drives in your new Cab!
Old 08-30-2016, 09:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
thank you for the great review

I'm surprised the Burmester 3D stereo is subpar, I have the regular Burmester in my S class which is amazing. However there is a big improvement in sound quality using blue tooth with streaming music from my iPhone vs radio or cd. Have you tried that yet?