question about steering assist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
question about steering assist

so if i press the button to turn the steering assist on, but DO not initiate distronic cruise control with the steering assist work...i cant get it to unless cruise control is on.

also is there a limit to the curvature of the street the car will follow, my car is 2015 and i guess isnt as fancy as the new E class system.

another issue i have is that the car with everything off, wanders a little off lane, and ive checked alignment and tire pressures and had alignment re speced and still pushes to the right...dunno why but it seems to affect the steering assist because the car wont stay in the center of the lane until it thinks it is leavin g the lane it pushes back
Old 09-20-2016, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by vdubpower
so if i press the button to turn the steering assist on, but DO not initiate distronic cruise control with the steering assist work...i cant get it to unless cruise control is on.

also is there a limit to the curvature of the street the car will follow, my car is 2015 and i guess isnt as fancy as the new E class system.

another issue i have is that the car with everything off, wanders a little off lane, and ive checked alignment and tire pressures and had alignment re speced and still pushes to the right...dunno why but it seems to affect the steering assist because the car wont stay in the center of the lane until it thinks it is leavin g the lane it pushes back
2014 S550 OPERATES THE EXACT SAME WAY. They should rename Distronic Plus to Drunken Sailor....

The car cannot navigate any reasonable curve in the road. The car at speeds between 45 to 55 will often drift over the line and even into side traffic if you let it. It will NOT keep you in the lane. For some reason, Distronic Plus works best at speeds above 60 to 85.... just my experience.

Lane Keep Assist will just nudge you from leaving the lane by applying the brakes on the opposite side of the car, which will surly jolt you into compliance as well as let the surrounding traffic think you fell asleep at the wheel...
Old 09-20-2016, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yeah not great.... but still u cant even steering to assist if u arent in cruise control right?
Old 09-21-2016, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by vdubpower
yeah not great.... but still u cant even steering to assist if u arent in cruise control right?
No. Steering assist is part of distronic plus. AFAIK the button simply allows you to turn steering assist off while using distronic.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 S550
Similar to the OP, my steering assist seems to work better with cruise on than when it is off. It also seems to read some lines on the road better than others depending on weather conditions and light. I find that steering assist is of limited benefit, but I prefer to be in control anyway. Lane assist is something I leave off except on the freeway. On a two lane road, the center of the lane isn't where I usually want to be and having the car swerve back into a pothole ruins my day. Dave
Old 09-21-2016, 09:35 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2014 S550 4matic, 2014 Corvette, 2016 Camaro SS 2011 Lexus RX350
Originally Posted by Nice Ride
2014 S550 OPERATES THE EXACT SAME WAY. They should rename Distronic Plus to Drunken Sailor....

The car cannot navigate any reasonable curve in the road. The car at speeds between 45 to 55 will often drift over the line and even into side traffic if you let it. It will NOT keep you in the lane. For some reason, Distronic Plus works best at speeds above 60 to 85.... just my experience.

Lane Keep Assist will just nudge you from leaving the lane by applying the brakes on the opposite side of the car, which will surly jolt you into compliance as well as let the surrounding traffic think you fell asleep at the wheel...
My 2014 was very weak and timid about following lanes, recognizing lanes, and slowing down when encountering slow traffic. USA dealer when I had several complaints went through all my related computers/modules/units and the tech comment was newer SW available and was installed. Fixed up my issues. I've gone from frustrated to happy camper.
Unfortunately the first time, they run a test, they look for error codes and send you away if you can not duplicate a deficiency.
They will not check SW revisions and do updates just because there has been an improvement. not until you give them several visits.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks for advice...probably of all the features the actual distronic cruise control and blind spot monitoring is good enough...all the other crap is gimmicks
Old 09-22-2016, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by wilfie
My 2014 was very weak and timid about following lanes, recognizing lanes, and slowing down when encountering slow traffic. USA dealer when I had several complaints went through all my related computers/modules/units and the tech comment was newer SW available and was installed. Fixed up my issues. I've gone from frustrated to happy camper.
Unfortunately the first time, they run a test, they look for error codes and send you away if you can not duplicate a deficiency.
They will not check SW revisions and do updates just because there has been an improvement. not until you give them several visits.
Do you have any info you can provide on the SW update from your paper work?I'm tired of the Drunken Sailor effect when I douse it between 45 - 60. Even if I have the Green Steering Wheel lit, it will still drift over the lane or veer extreme left or right. Also, car has yet to park itself 9 outa 10 fails. Nothin but the best....
Old 09-22-2016, 01:28 PM

Do you have any info you can provide on the SW update from your paper work?I'm tired of the Drunken Sailor effect when I douse it between 45 - 60. Even if I have the Green Steering Wheel lit, it will still drift over the lane or veer extreme left or right. Also, car has yet to park itself 9 outa 10 fails. Nothin but the best....
I have no specific info on what modules they did, I double checked the work order. It seems repetitive visits with escalating the concern is the only way to get the dealer to upgrade the modules. My visits to small dealers who might not do a lot of S class work has not been really satisfying for complex issues. When I went to a large Phoenix dealer it all got resolved.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by wilfie
I have no specific info on what modules they did, I double checked the work order. It seems repetitive visits with escalating the concern is the only way to get the dealer to upgrade the modules. My visits to small dealers who might not do a lot of S class work has not been really satisfying for complex issues. When I went to a large Phoenix dealer it all got resolved.
Can you pass on the name of the dealer and possibly the work order number? I can have my dealer contact your dealer... lol
Old 09-23-2016, 09:21 PM

Can you pass on the name of the dealer and possibly the work order number? I can have my dealer contact your dealer... lol
It's MB of Arrowhead work order # 266325
It seems to help when you remind them to put in the work order this is the second (or third etc) time I have had the car in for this issue etc.
The following users liked this post:
Nice Ride (09-24-2016)