S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Inconsistently working technology in the W222 S550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 09:00 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
2015 S550
Inconsistently working technology in the W222 S550

I bought my S550 about 3 months ago and truly enjoy it for many reasons, but have noticed that Mercedes Benz has technology that just doesn't work well in this car and is a bit frustrating. I would be interested to see if others on this forum agree or not.

1) The kick under the trunk to get open... I have tried this probably 100 times, and it works about 10% of the time. I've done it just like I was instructed to by the salesman (who had a hard time as well), but it just doesn't work well. I don't even try any more, because it just doesn't work well.

2) Parktronic/Park assist...As many times as I have done this... turn signal on, come up slow on the car next to you, come forward a little, etc, I just cannot get it to work consistently. It will work every now an then, but I gave up on it.

3) Blind spot warning/LCA...unfortunately this system alerts you when a car is in your blind spot, but NOT before it is in your blind spot. I used to have this technology in my Pananmera that I just traded, and it would alert you prior to the car getting into your blind spot so you could change lanes confidently.

I had a fourth one, but for some reason, it slips my mind right now. Are there any others that members have any input on?
Old 10-30-2016, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by dpm7471
I bought my S550 about 3 months ago and truly enjoy it for many reasons, but have noticed that Mercedes Benz has technology that just doesn't work well in this car and is a bit frustrating. I would be interested to see if others on this forum agree or not.

1) The kick under the trunk to get open... I have tried this probably 100 times, and it works about 10% of the time. I've done it just like I was instructed to by the salesman (who had a hard time as well), but it just doesn't work well. I don't even try any more, because it just doesn't work well.

2) Parktronic/Park assist...As many times as I have done this... turn signal on, come up slow on the car next to you, come forward a little, etc, I just cannot get it to work consistently. It will work every now an then, but I gave up on it.

My car still hits the curb when it parks itself. MB is aware and at this time has no solution. Most of the time it cannot spot the open space to park. I think that most people do not use this feature, if they did, I'm sure more people would report the parking item.

3) Blind spot warning/LCA...unfortunately this system alerts you when a car is in your blind spot, but NOT before it is in your blind spot. I used to have this technology in my Pananmera that I just traded, and it would alert you prior to the car getting into your blind spot so you could change lanes confidently.

I had a fourth one, but for some reason, it slips my mind right now. Are there any others that members have any input on?
I'll add a fourth, Distronic plus cannot keep itself centered in the lane most of the time at speeds between 45 to 65. You get the drunken sailor drift and or it will veer over the lines into side traffic. Hopefully they can get an update out there...

That said.... I would not trade it for anything else.....
Old 10-30-2016, 01:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 S550
I've also experienced inconsistency with the night vision. Last night it worked great with a person on the edge of the road but never alerted me to a deer on the edge that walked right in front of the car. Dave
Old 10-30-2016, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
1. The trunk opening on the S-Class and SL work 100% for me but there is a way of doing it. Kicking harder does nothing.
At least this works for me: Stick you foot underneath the bumper and then pull it back fast...

2. Park assist worked when I tried it, but parking is easy for me and I like my rims too much. Since the car orients itself on the car behind (driver-side front corner), the cars parks itself perfectly when its a larger car. With a smaller car, you can hit the curb.

3. Blind spot warning works as advertised on our MB's and better than on other brands IMHO.
It's a blind spot warning, not a proximity warning. You have mirrors for other situations.
The following users liked this post:
Diesel Benz (11-02-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 07:21 AM

2015 S550
Wolfman,

I will try the trunk opening like you mentioned today, I hope it works.

In regards to the Blind spot/LCA on the S550... I was used to the Panamera giving me so much more warning, and like you said, it was more of a proximity warning on the Porsche. It allowed me to have confidence that when the light was off, I could safely change lanes, but not so on the S550.

I've given up on the Park assist as well. First, it doesn't even work that often, and when it does, I am concerned about it scraping my rims.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:24 PM

2015 S550
Wolfman,

Tried your maneuver to open the trunk. It didn't work. Maybe my sensor is not working. Regardless, this has been a feature that has really never worked very well for me.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:53 AM

2015 S550
Ok...I think i figured out how to get the trunk opening thing to work. I think I was standing too close to the back of the car. I tried stepping back about another foot or 2, and did the maneuver, and it worked every time so far!
The following users liked this post:
Nice Ride (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 07:42 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
the trunk thing works well for me consistently......I aim slightly in front of the bumper and not directly under it........as I just read in your comment

think about your neighbors watching you swipe kick at the rear end of your car and try not to laugh haha