S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Wishful Thinking - Why can't Mercedes cars have ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 05:53 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Wishful Thinking - Why can't Mercedes cars have ?

I am creating this thread in the S-Class forum, because MB is most likely to respond to the desires of S-Class owners for new features. (If a thread like this has been established before, please let me know.)

My first wish is to be able to adjust the air pressure from the driving position. Military Hummers can do it, so it can't be very complex or expensive. If some MB off-road models such as the G-Wagen can already do it, my wish is to have it on a future model of the C-Class or E-Class.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:03 PM

Wish #2 - Autodarkening windows (instead of windshield sunscreens)

SunSHADES are so old-fashioned! Darkening WINDOWS would provide SunGLASSES to protect interiors and keep the car cooler! A discreet chime would sound, as the WINDOWS automatically darkened a minute or two after the engine was stopped or lightened when the engine was started! (Darkening windows would also conceal valuables and provide privacy for "romantic activities"!) Darkening while DRIVING would be wonderful, but as far as I know, the technology does not exist to provide windows that lighten fast enough to deal with tunnels.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
That system adds a great deal of complexity and cost for very little actual gain. Not to mention weight, specifically rotating mass in the wheel hub, which would hurt fuel economy. It's relevant on off-road vehicles as they air down for sand and back up for highway use.

You can't be bothered to stop at a service station and have your tire pressures corrected? Or buy a small pump that runs off your power outlet in the car and do it yourself.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by gfmohn
SunSHADES are so old-fashioned! Darkening WINDOWS would provide SunGLASSES to protect interiors and keep the car cooler! A discreet chime would sound, as the WINDOWS automatically darkened a minute or two after the engine was stopped or lightened when the engine was started! (Darkening windows would also conceal valuables and provide privacy for "romantic activities"!) Darkening while DRIVING would be wonderful, but as far as I know, the technology does not exist to provide windows that lighten fast enough to deal with tunnels.
See Magic Sky Control. The tech is there, but it has to be full-frame glass. Side windows aren't going to be applicable. Tint is illegal in many states, so shades that can be lowered get around that issue. Also HORRENDOUSLY expensive. Magic sky roof panel on an SLK is almost $10000 more than a regular, tinted glass roof.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:41 AM

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
One thing I'd like that I used to have, is the ability to crack open my sunroof to vent the car WITHOUT having to open the sunshade first. Having to open the sunshade in order to vent the car and keep it cool is self-defeating.

Also, maybe it's me, but I have not found a way to play all songs from a particular artist on my USB drive. I can play based on genre and album, but not by artist. I'm using a USB drive so maybe it's got something to do with how I saved the files.

Minor quibbles, I know.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes Benz 2015 S350 Bluetec
- The ability to engage sport mode by pulling the gear selector stalk towards you and turning it off by pushing it away from you. This eliminates the need to take your eyes of the road to search for the button on the centre console.

- The ability to reboot Command without having to restore factory defaults
Old 11-25-2016, 02:51 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
While the memory seat feature can also memeries the side mirrors position, it would be nice as well to memorize the center rear mirror position. Especially in a luxury vehicle like the S-Class.

Because eveytime after my wife drove the car, I had to readjust the center rear mirror manually. Same for her after every time I drove it.

It puzzles me as the center rear mirror position still has to be adjusted by hand, while nowadays everything in the S-Class are motorized and automated.

I would gladly pay for this option if Mercedes offers it.

Regsrds,

Last edited by axhoaxho; 11-25-2016 at 04:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gfmohn (11-25-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 06:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by allie14705
- The ability to engage sport mode by pulling the gear selector stalk towards you and turning it off by pushing it away from you. This eliminates the need to take your eyes of the road to search for the button on the centre console.

- The ability to reboot Command without having to restore factory defaults
hold eject button for 10 seconds ... reboots command
The following 2 users liked this post by PeterUbers:
allie14705 (11-29-2016), gfmohn (11-25-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 06:39 PM

More Wishful Thinking!

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
That system adds a great deal of complexity and cost for very little actual gain. Not to mention weight, specifically rotating mass in the wheel hub, which would hurt fuel economy. It's relevant on off-road vehicles as they air down for sand and back up for highway use.

You can't be bothered to stop at a service station and have your tire pressures corrected? Or buy a small pump that runs off your power outlet in the car and do it yourself.
Cheez, I'm trying to bring a little entertainment! I guess I have to explain further. I am indeed looking for "pie in the sky" ideas. So I am not interested in why I shouldn't want what I want. With his wish for a memory capability for the center rear view mirror, axhoaxho is thinking the way I have in mind. (I have thought of that one myself.) I assure you that I am not interested in proposals that violate the laws of physics, and as I wrote about possible window darkening while driving, I concede the limits of technology that are known to me.

I am sure that in every case, there are reasons why we do not have obviously desirable features now. However, I leave issues of weight, complexity, and reliability. to the engineers. That's why we have them. I leave issues of cost to the owners of S-Class cars. if those pockets are not deep enough, I defer to the owners of Maybachs! Readers will not comment, if they can expect their comments to provoke a lecture.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:00 PM

The future lies ahead!

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
See Magic Sky Control. The tech is there, but it has to be full-frame glass. Side windows aren't going to be applicable. Tint is illegal in many states, so shades that can be lowered get around that issue. Also HORRENDOUSLY expensive. Magic sky roof panel on an SLK is almost $10000 more than a regular, tinted glass roof.
I used a tongue-in-cheek style to signal that I know that automatically tinting windows are not practical right now. The point of this thread is a spirit of "Maybe someday!" (It looks like heavy going so far!) I assure Mercedes owners who have intense brand loyalty that I am not criticizing Mercedes for not rushing into production of this and other ideas! As for laws, they have often been changed to allow new technology (more often, to require it). (Note that I am suggesting auto-tint window that darken only when the car is stationary.)
Old 11-25-2016, 08:04 PM

Complaints about current models

Originally Posted by haYnBenz
One thing I'd like that I used to have, is the ability to crack open my sunroof to vent the car WITHOUT having to open the sunshade first. Having to open the sunshade in order to vent the car and keep it cool is self-defeating.

Also, maybe it's me, but I have not found a way to play all songs from a particular artist on my USB drive. I can play based on genre and album, but not by artist. I'm using a USB drive so maybe it's got something to do with how I saved the files.

Minor quibbles, I know.
The C-Class (W205) forum has a thread entitled "So what do you hate about your W205?". ("Hate" is a little strong. The gripes are mostly minor complaints like yours) I looked for a similar thread on this forum, so I could recommend it in advance for complaints about current models. Perhaps some reader recalls a similar thread on this forum and can provide a link. Otherwise, I hope that some S-Class owner will establish such a thread.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
I'm not here to shoot down your dreams, but I am a MB tech, and I work on these terrible piles of under-engineered, over complicated garbage every day. They are constantly trying to stuff MORE into the car, and the reality is that it just makes it more failure prone. Yes, some of the features are nice, and I agree with the memory center rear view as my wife is 6" shorter than me and when she drives my car and moves everything, that's the one thing I can't have automatically go back. The rear view will happen eventually.

If the thread is just about unicorns and magic dragons, then have at it. I would rather explore the technical side of how it could be possible, as opposed to being completely out of touch with reality.
gfmohn (11-25-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 08:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
VW 48
Proper service. (No need to schedule service ten days ahead, loaner car always available, well-trained and competent technicians that will diagnose a problem and repair it properly the first time, prompt availability of spare parts.) Similar to Lexus or Porsche service.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:33 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2014 S550 4matic, 2014 Corvette, 2016 Camaro SS 2011 Lexus RX350
Here's what I wish my 2014 S Class had:
A clip under the trunk lid that holds a umbrella.
A fold down bracket in the trunk to hold the handle of about 6 grocery bags.
A spare in the bottom of the trunk.
Non-run flats on 16 inch rims.
A large fairly useful glove box.
Compartments in the front doors that are useful and large
A 2 level center console compartment to keep stuff organized
A large useful storage drawer under the front seats.
Has anybody noticed that's what my 2007 S class had?
Love the improvements in the 2014 but MB seems to be designing less for real people and families and more for who?
Old 11-25-2016, 11:15 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
How about cup holders that are able to heat and chill beverages?
Old 11-25-2016, 11:24 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
1) How about making coupe available in USA without 4-matic and with ABC and magic body control? How come it is available like this in Europe but not in the USA (only available on the very expensive S65 version)

2) Make more exterior and interior color choices available (possibly offer custom colors at extra cost)
Old 11-26-2016, 02:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan and 2018 E300 Sedan. 2015 S550 gone.
Originally Posted by steveb9771
1) How about making coupe available in USA without 4-matic and with ABC and magic body control? How come it is available like this in Europe but not in the USA (only available on the very expensive S65 version)

2) Make more exterior and interior color choices available (possibly offer custom colors at extra cost)
Number 2 above for sure. It could be a significant differentiator for S Class and similar high-end members of the lineup.

Also: Better stand alone options to customize the build. I understand the economics but that is not what this thread is about.

Also: More ambient light colors. It is a great feature. If they're going to include it in the car, let's get a wider selection of colors. The new E Class is the perfect template for the S as well.

Better performing cabin fragrance feature. Everyone knows it's pretty difficult to really experience the fragrance. BTW: I've tried them all and like them all--albeit not equally. Don't like the perfumery? No need to hijack my comments.

That all said: these are fun nits to pick but this is a really amazing car. Love it every day.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 430 Posts
W212 FL
Power center mirrors were available with W140s but later S Class didn't have this as an option .I think these were prone to breaks when drivers manually adjusted them otherwise I don't think Mercedes-Benz deleted that option due to manufacturing costs only . It would be cool .
Skoda Kodiaq comes with a new technology .It's simple but a very useful for reckless drivers or the persons who has no respect others' properties . When you open the door at the same time a rubber protector also pops put to prevent your car from damaging car that's parked next to you . A plastic or rubber strip does this trick , a simple yet clever solution .

I forgot to say it would be cool to have a LED Display Key as well as inductive charging unit for charging the devices wireless

Last edited by BenzV12; 11-27-2016 at 07:24 AM.
gfmohn (11-26-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 08:44 AM

Received 117 Likes on 74 Posts
2021 e All Terrain, 2001 e55
[QUOTE=haYnBenz;6978410]One thing I'd like that I used to have, is the ability to crack open my sunroof to vent the car WITHOUT having to open the sunshade first. Having to open the sunshade in order to vent the car and keep it cool is self-defeating.
s.

I agree 100% It was that way in the past.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:48 AM

Received 117 Likes on 74 Posts
2021 e All Terrain, 2001 e55
Originally Posted by wilfie
A spare in the bottom of the trunk.
Non-run flats ?
'

I agree we should have a spare
ezshift5 (11-28-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 02:21 PM

Received 66 Likes on 22 Posts
W223 S580, Range Rover Supercharged LWB, Audi A8L, BMW 750i, Porsche 911 Carrera S (997)
Originally Posted by BenzV12
Power center mirrors were available with W140s but later S Class didn't have this as an option .
W140 from 1992-1995 had this, as did the W220 2000-2002.

I miss the umbrella holder from the 2007 W221. I also own a new Audi A8 and a 2017 BMW 7 series, both have a triangle holder which I have turned into an umbrella holder
Old 11-26-2016, 10:44 PM

Cool Lonely Dealers Do NOT Make Good Customer Service

Originally Posted by 3.14159
Proper service. (No need to schedule service ten days ahead, loaner car always available, well-trained and competent technicians that will diagnose a problem and repair it properly the first time, prompt availability of spare parts.) Similar to Lexus or Porsche service.
(By any chance, are you called you "Sweetie Pi"?) Sorry to hear that. You can't switch dealers? You don't say what part of the country you are in. When planning a cross-country trip some years ago, I did notice that MB dealers in the Great Plains region can be very, very far apart. What marks did you give your dealer on the MB corporate survey? My service advisor acts as if even one bad rating will affect his bonus. You didn't get a survey? Call up the regional distributor and ask them to send you a survey.

Like many 2015 C300s, my C300 had a lot of problems. So I made several visits to MB of Westwood (MA). I have had no problems giving them 10s across the board. If they ever do slip in an area or two, they will get a 10 anyway! That's how much goodwill they have with me after the service foreman (yes, the foreman) went on a road test with me about a couple of minor issues. On his own motion, he identified a faint rattle in the engine as indicating a really major issue, The Dreaded C300 Wrist Pin Issue. This committed MB to a rebuild of the bottom end (engine removed from the car to install new wrist pins, pistons, and connecting rods!) to prevent damage to the cylinder walls! Other owners in the Boston area also seem generally satisfied with their dealers. Like I said, Sweetie Pi, you need a new dealer.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by steveb9771
How about cup holders that are able to heat and chill beverages?
I've seen aftermarket cups that can be plugged into the power outlet to heat. Cooling would have to be done by a piezoelectric unit in the bottom of the cup, with a fan in the holder to blow away the resulting heat. (A piezoelectric unit gets cold on one side and hot on the other when a current is passed through it. Reversing the polarity makes it a heater. They are very inefficient.)

Many years ago, there was a motorcycle helmet that had a piezo unit in the top. Fins in the airflow carried off the heat. Fins on the inside cooled a bladder in contact with the rider's head. Cooling the head made a surprising difference in rider comfort on hot days. It was adjustable, but if you turned it up too far, it would give you a headache!
Old 11-27-2016, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Wish Mercedes (or another certain high end car manufacturer) would license this technology for use in their cars... Imagine how smooth the ride would be!

gfmohn (11-28-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 11:54 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I think Mercedes' Magic Body Control has accomplished some of the effects shown in that Bose demonstration.

gfmohn (11-28-2016)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wishful Thinking - Why can't Mercedes cars have ?