S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Replaced my Run-Flats, purchased a emergency spare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 08:25 AM

Received 117 Likes on 74 Posts
2021 e All Terrain, 2001 e55
Replaced my Run-Flats, purchased a emergency spare

Over the weekend I bought continental DWS tires for my S550. I removed the run flats that came standard with the car.

To give me a sense of security I purchased a emergency spare for a w221.

When I purchased my car it came with a sport package. It had 20 inch rims and some other cosmetic modifications. I believe that the brake calipers were slightly larger but I'm not sure.

Anyway even though everyone Mercedes-Benz told me that the previous S class emergency spare would not fit my car I took a gamble and spent $350 and bought an emergency spare on eBay. I had it shipped to my local tire dealer and asked him to mount it on the front axle and on the back axle and it fit perfectly and the wheel turned without hitting the brakes

In my opinion, it is an improvement. The ride feels more comfortable to me. If I drive over a bump in the road or where two pieces of concrete meet on the bridge it's quieter and less jarring. The car definitely handles better. I am not the a race car driver but I feel just a little more confident in taking corners.

I live in Northeast and we have snow in the Continentals are good in the snow I know that because I had them on my previous car.

For all of you who were thinking about doing this but not sure perhaps you now have the confidence to try it.

There is a drawback, the emergency spare takes up room in the trunk. I'm also going to have to find a jack but I suppose I can always call roadside assistance or AAA.

On the rim was written or embossed the numbers for one 90003 N S 01 13 04 10

I don't know the Mercedes part number and I'm going to check to see how difficult it is to buy a replacement tire if I need one

Also the tire is only supposed to be good for 100 miles and you're only supposed to drive 50 miles an hour when you're using it

I hope at least one person, besides me, benefits from my research.

I will report back and let everyone know if I can buy replacement rubber for the emergency rim

thanks, phil
Old 12-06-2016, 09:00 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
Originally Posted by e55phil
Over the weekend I bought continental DWS tires for my S550. I removed the run flats that came standard with the car.

To give me a sense of security I purchased a emergency spare for a w221.

When I purchased my car it came with a sport package. It had 20 inch rims and some other cosmetic modifications. I believe that the brake calipers were slightly larger but I'm not sure.

Anyway even though everyone Mercedes-Benz told me that the previous S class emergency spare would not fit my car I took a gamble and spent $350 and bought an emergency spare on eBay. I had it shipped to my local tire dealer and asked him to mount it on the front axle and on the back axle and it fit perfectly and the wheel turned without hitting the brakes

In my opinion, it is an improvement. The ride feels more comfortable to me. If I drive over a bump in the road or where two pieces of concrete meet on the bridge it's quieter and less jarring. The car definitely handles better. I am not the a race car driver but I feel just a little more confident in taking corners.

I live in Northeast and we have snow in the Continentals are good in the snow I know that because I had them on my previous car.

For all of you who were thinking about doing this but not sure perhaps you now have the confidence to try it.

There is a drawback, the emergency spare takes up room in the trunk. I'm also going to have to find a jack but I suppose I can always call roadside assistance or AAA.

On the rim was written or embossed the numbers for one 90003 N S 01 13 04 10

I don't know the Mercedes part number and I'm going to check to see how difficult it is to buy a replacement tire if I need one

Also the tire is only supposed to be good for 100 miles and you're only supposed to drive 50 miles an hour when you're using it

I hope at least one person, besides me, benefits from my research.

I will report back and let everyone know if I can buy replacement rubber for the emergency rim

thanks, phil
thanks phil, much appreciated, I am facing the same decision now

I just don't know if I want to give up the trunk space. I'd have to remove the spare from the trunk for luggage, groceries, Costco.....
Old 12-06-2016, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,418 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by e55phil

Anyway even though everyone Mercedes-Benz told me that the previous S class emergency spare would not fit my car I took a gamble and spent $350 and bought an emergency spare on eBay.

thanks, phil
Hmmm. This story sounds familiar. WHERE have I heard it before?
Welcome aboard.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:31 PM

Received 148 Likes on 116 Posts
'94 SL600,'05 SL600,'06 S65,'07 E63,'14 E63S,'09SL600 all sold, ‘15 S65,‘18 E63S,'17 SL65, '17S65Cab
Hmmm, I think I recall a member called Streamliner posting the parts numbers!
Another alternative is to buy the inflator kit that comes with the S65. It fits in the small well under the trunk mat. The AMG's are not equipped with EMT (run flat) tires and this is the factory solution. It may not meet your personal risk tolerance.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,418 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
If you hit a road hazard that shreds the tire or severely damages the wheel, NOTHING short of having a spare in your trunk will spare you a ride in the cab of a tow truck. Huge and possibly dangerous disruptions to vacations, appointments or just getting home in time for dinner, all hang in the balance, should your tire or wheel become unusable. EVERY time you interact with ANYONE at MB, voice your unhappiness over their decision to not even offer a spare as an option. Send an email or write a letter to MBUSA and COMPLAIN! Even BMW--the clowns who started this whole RFT mess, now offer a spare as an option on their 7 series. TELL MB that they need to do the same.