S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Ecco mode question

Old 12-24-2016, 09:02 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 S550 Iridium / Black Nappa, 2015 GL 550 Paladium Silver
Ecco mode question

I realize the Ecco mode is hard coded into the vehicle and has to be turned off manually each time the car is started. The function seems to be connected to a specific pressure or distance the brake pedal is depressed.

Inhave found that I t is possible to brake as normal for a stop but then let off of the brake before a complete stop and allowing the car to move forward a few feet with very light pressure on the pedal and the Ecco mode does NOT come on. I discovered this quite by accident while in traffic one day as I was inching forward. The car seemed to be stuck between the stop / start mode and "stutter started" ~3 times when I ealized that it was my pressure on the brake pedal that seemed to be causing it.

I can now successfully come to a complete stop without the Ecco mode kicking in 75% of time. Has anyone else had this same experience or do I have something wrong with my brake pedal sensor?
Old 12-26-2016, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by Pntblnk
I realize the Ecco mode is hard coded into the vehicle and has to be turned off manually each time the car is started. The function seems to be connected to a specific pressure or distance the brake pedal is depressed.

Inhave found that I t is possible to brake as normal for a stop but then let off of the brake before a complete stop and allowing the car to move forward a few feet with very light pressure on the pedal and the Ecco mode does NOT come on. I discovered this quite by accident while in traffic one day as I was inching forward. The car seemed to be stuck between the stop / start mode and "stutter started" ~3 times when I ealized that it was my pressure on the brake pedal that seemed to be causing it.

I can now successfully come to a complete stop without the Ecco mode kicking in 75% of time. Has anyone else had this same experience or do I have something wrong with my brake pedal sensor?

Yes, I have experienced the same. But all that effort "not to mention safety", isn't it just easier to hit the ECO button, or like me hit the Sport button Vrooom.... Vrooom....

I get what your saying, but the effort and having to think about how much pressure you are applying every time you come to a stop must be exhausting.... Not to mention, you should have your foot planted nicely on the brake should you ever get rear ended , this way you only have to get the rear paint to match instead of the front too...

Last edited by Nice Ride; 12-26-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Originally Posted by Pntblnk

Eco does not have to be turned off each time you use the car. Mid city enginnering in Chicago has a module that can be hooked up that eliminates having to press the button each time. I have it on mine for over 2 years now. works great and I do not have to press the sh-tty button each time it automatically turns it off when you turn on the ignition.
The following 2 users liked this post by dbldpr:
Nice Ride (12-26-2016), Pntblnk (12-26-2016)