magic body control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by HSCLA
I have MBC on a 2015 550. After over 2 years of driving, I still question if its actually beneficial and if so, under what circumstances. I know what the marketing department is putting out, but I swear it doesn't seem to improve dealing w/ pot holes and other road defects that I've driven over w/ other cars. Sure doesn't seem to match what's portrayed in the corporate promo videos. Never thought to determine if it can be de-activated - I'll look and if possible turn it off for a while and be mindful of the difference on a known roads. Anyone else who has MBC should do likewise and comment. $4,600 isn't trivial.
if you read my info above you find that you only paid $500 or so for the pothole/speedbump functionality and unless you use it right, it will be automatically disabled.
You are really paying for an upgraded suspension over Airmatic.
I would have bought it if it would have been available for 4matic.
Problem IMO was MB's marketing dept eager to hype it.

Last edited by Wolfman; 03-10-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:29 PM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by HSCLA
I have MBC on a 2015 550. After over 2 years of driving, I still question if its actually beneficial and if so, under what circumstances. I know what the marketing department is putting out, but I swear it doesn't seem to improve dealing w/ pot holes and other road defects that I've driven over w/ other cars. Sure doesn't seem to match what's portrayed in the corporate promo videos. Never thought to determine if it can be de-activated - I'll look and if possible turn it off for a while and be mindful of the difference on a known roads. Anyone else who has MBC should do likewise and comment. $4,600 isn't trivial.
There are speed bumps in LA, yes? Go over a speed bump at about 25 miles per hour. Chances are very good that you will hardly feel the bump. That is what the MAGIC in MBC is. The Body Control part is an upgraded suspension system that helps keep the car level around turns, while braking and in cross winds.

As far as I can tell, it does nothing for pot holes and the corporate marketing videos don't portray that it does anything for pot holes. If there is a video showing it smooths out pot holes, please show us a link to this video.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
VW 48
I have MBC on my 2015 S550. It is of no value to me. In addition to the observations expressed here, there is the issue of uncertainty. One cannot be certain that this feature will work. Shade, less than perfect light, insufficient road clearance ahead and color variation of the road surface (wet roadway), will interfere with the system operation. As you cannot be certain that the system will work, you better approach any bump assuming it will not work. In other words, although you have paid a bundle for this feature, you better drive like it does not exist.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3.14159:
aypues (03-11-2017), Nice Ride (03-16-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 08:10 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by 3.14159
I have MBC on my 2015 S550. It is of no value to me. In addition to the observations expressed here, there is the issue of uncertainty. One cannot be certain that this feature will work. Shade, less than perfect light, insufficient road clearance ahead and color variation of the road surface (wet roadway), will interfere with the system operation. As you cannot be certain that the system will work, you better approach any bump assuming it will not work. In other words, although you have paid a bundle for this feature, you better drive like it does not exist.
I have found that it works about 75% of the time. Approach the bump at less than 25 mph. If it doesn't work, the other features of the great, heavy and smooth car will keep it from going too crazy over the bump. There, now you can drive like it does exist!

Good luck!
Old 03-11-2017, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 3.14159
You get a much better suspension than Airmatic, which accounts for almost 90% of the price of the option.

I wonder why anyone would buy an option without knowing what it does. How many speed bumps would justify $4k+?
Old 03-12-2017, 05:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic, 2006 C180 Kompressor, 2007 S550 AMG Package
I have not got MBC on my S550e but I drove an S600 with MBC, Unbelievable ride but not worth the $4000 price tag. Driving long distance you probably won't even notice.

Last edited by w203ck; 03-12-2017 at 05:37 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:06 AM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by w203ck
I have not got MBC on my S550e but I drove an S600 with MBC, Unbelievable ride but not worth the $4000 price tag. Driving long distance you probably won't even notice.
So, here is the rub. Yeah, you probably won't notice it working because it's doing its job so well. Going around a curve quickly, it will keep the car level, hard braking and it will keep the car level and in crosswinds it will keep the car level.

So, is this worth $4k to do all this? And, another $600.00 to smooth out speed bumps? You have to decide if you want to take an already very nice riding vehicle and make it even nicer...
The following users liked this post:
OzarkBoy (04-03-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 11:36 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Coming off of three S Classes with ABC (the last with MBC) - I can say the following.

W220 and W221 ABC was brilliant in keeping the car flat in curves, hard acceleration, and braking. No doubt about it. Anyone disputing this is flat out wrong - or just wants to opine without personal experience. From 2001 to 2014 I've driven those 2 models consecutively. If you want a flat ride - the system is perfect. No flaws.

For the W222 and beyond - the Magic Body Control is effectively Active Body Control in Sport Mode, and Magic Body Control in Comfort Mode. You get the full flat feeling from the hydraulics in the sport mode. Flat on curves just like before. When you select COMFORT mode - it is meant to be the glider you are all speaking about. There are some issues with this. The camera must be clean. It must be daylight. Your foot must be on the accelerator the entire time. Take it off - and the glider feature shuts off. Put it in sport - and be prepared for a bang up. Night time? Bang. etc.

When the system works - boy is it cool. When it does not - you are frustrated as hell. In it's current state - its nothing more than a gimmick. It's cool to show your friends "You see that speed bump? Watch and feel this!"

You still feel potholes and road imperfections. It's a fantastic attempt at a first generation technology. They will improve on it I am sure.

The above analysis is my own opinion - and it comes from 16 years of the ABC and MBC combined in my cars. Real world driving - including one from NY to FL and back.

That should matter to those interested in the feature
The following 2 users liked this post by Chucky300:
aypues (04-06-2017), OzarkBoy (04-03-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Chucky300
Coming off of three S Classes with ABC (the last with MBC) - I can say the following.

W220 and W221 ABC was brilliant in keeping the car flat in curves, hard acceleration, and braking. No doubt about it. Anyone disputing this is flat out wrong - or just wants to opine without personal experience. From 2001 to 2014 I've driven those 2 models consecutively. If you want a flat ride - the system is perfect. No flaws.

For the W222 and beyond - the Magic Body Control is effectively Active Body Control in Sport Mode, and Magic Body Control in Comfort Mode. You get the full flat feeling from the hydraulics in the sport mode. Flat on curves just like before. When you select COMFORT mode - it is meant to be the glider you are all speaking about. There are some issues with this. The camera must be clean. It must be daylight. Your foot must be on the accelerator the entire time. Take it off - and the glider feature shuts off. Put it in sport - and be prepared for a bang up. Night time? Bang. etc.

When the system works - boy is it cool. When it does not - you are frustrated as hell. In it's current state - its nothing more than a gimmick. It's cool to show your friends "You see that speed bump? Watch and feel this!"

You still feel potholes and road imperfections. It's a fantastic attempt at a first generation technology. They will improve on it I am sure.

The above analysis is my own opinion - and it comes from 16 years of the ABC and MBC combined in my cars. Real world driving - including one from NY to FL and back.

That should matter to those interested in the feature
+1

Same here. We had ABC in a variety on cars (S,CL, SL) since 2000 and to me it's a no-brainer. It is simply a better suspension.

Is any option worth $4k? That's obviously a personal decision but I take ABC/MBC over the technically obsolete rear seat entertainment or some spoiler, etc. anyday.

In regards to the MBC speed bump function, it's a cheap and gimmicky $600 add-on. Just as gimmicky as the "curve" function on our SL, which leans the car into the curve.

All these options only work in comfort more and I like Sport Mode
The following users liked this post:
OzarkBoy (04-03-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 06:58 PM

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts
2023 S Class 2013 SL
ugh, I'm the one who originated this query about MBC. From 33 posts, I've gotten this info:
1- it's an upgraded suspension that operates only in comfort mode. And, it does work. However, not in sport mode.
2- the speed bump thing is tenuous at best, if it works.
I'd pay for the option if, it would work in either comfort or sport. Around town, I prefer sport for the first gear acceleration from a stop. This is the majority of my driving. On the highway, I use comfort. Bottom line for now, I'll pass on the option. Thanks to all who responded. Appreciate everyone's thoughts.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:28 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by docsout
ugh, I'm the one who originated this query about MBC. From 33 posts, I've gotten this info:
1- it's an upgraded suspension that operates only in comfort mode. And, it does work. However, not in sport mode.
I'd pay for the option if, it would work in either comfort or sport. Around town, I prefer sport for the first gear acceleration from a stop. This is the majority of my driving. On the highway, I use comfort. Bottom line for now, I'll pass on the option. Thanks to all who responded. Appreciate everyone's thoughts.
There are two different comfort and sport settings -modes ( buttons ). One controls the suspension and the other one controls the shift pattern, acceleration, etc. The two buttons are right next to each other.

So, if you have the transmission setting in sport and the suspension setting in comfort, you will have the shift pattern the way you want and the MBC will be on.

And, it definitely does more than just work on speed bumps ( as we have established a few times in this thread ).

Good luck!
Old 03-12-2017, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Not quite correct.
1. The upgraded suspension ALWAYS works. That's where the money is
2. The speed bump part only works in Comfort, with good visuals and if you don't step on the brakes.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:05 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Not quite correct.
1. The upgraded suspension ALWAYS works. That's where the money is
2. The speed bump part only works in Comfort, with good visuals and if you don't step on the brakes.
Though I could swear the car was flatter in sport mode though most definitely NOT rolling much in comfort.

If they want to be truly ideal - the MBC Camera (speed bump and what) should work in both comfort and sport.

The comfort and sport should be JUST for suspension and not be connected to transmission (2nd vs 1st gear start).

In my porsche- I have the PDCC (Dynamic Chasis Control - ABC sorta) - and I can drive it in Sport or Comfort. It is a separate system from the transmission which can be sport, sport plus or normal.

Same for Audi - Dynamic, Comfort, individual, etc.

BMW and Mercedes both tie the suspension with the transmission which I think is a mistake.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5

Question.... Are you looking at a 4Matic? If so, its a moot point since it is not available with 4Matic....
Old 03-15-2017, 06:57 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Though I could swear the car was flatter in sport mode though most definitely NOT rolling much in comfort.

If they want to be truly ideal - the MBC Camera (speed bump and what) should work in both comfort and sport.

The comfort and sport should be JUST for suspension and not be connected to transmission (2nd vs 1st gear start).

In my porsche- I have the PDCC (Dynamic Chasis Control - ABC sorta) - and I can drive it in Sport or Comfort. It is a separate system from the transmission which can be sport, sport plus or normal.

BMW and Mercedes both tie the suspension with the transmission which I think is a mistake.
Ummmm, please correct me if I'm wrong...butttt, there are 2 ( two ) buttons on the right of the drivers seat. One changes the setting of the suspension and the other changes the shift patterns. On mine, the one that changes the suspension settings is marked "ABC" in the middle of it. My understanding is that this is only marked on the vehicles with MBC, correct????
Old 03-15-2017, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Body roll in Sport (suspension) is definitely less. Even Airmatic does that (a little). Airmatic is just a much simpler suspension than ABC.
The MBC "part" is a 1st. gen system that includes a lot of disabling conditions. BMW has already improved on the concept by doing something very similar even on AWD and worse light conditions.

I expect MB to comes out with an updated system for the facelift.

That said, all current S-Class models with Airmatic and MBC have separate buttons for suspension and transmission.
This is a leftover and will go away with the facelift using dynamic drive modes, where each mode controls all aspects (suspension, transmission, throttle response and steering behavior). There is an individual setting that lets you mix and match the settings of your choice.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:46 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Body roll in Sport (suspension) is definitely less. Even Airmatic does that (a little). Airmatic is just a much simpler suspension than ABC.
The MBC "part" is a 1st. gen system that includes a lot of disabling conditions. BMW has already improved on the concept by doing something very similar even on AWD and worse light conditions.

I expect MB to comes out with an updated system for the facelift.

That said, all current S-Class models with Airmatic and MBC have separate buttons for suspension and transmission.
This is a leftover and will go away with the facelift using dynamic drive modes, where each mode controls all aspects (suspension, transmission, throttle response and steering behavior). There is an individual setting that lets you mix and match the settings of your choice.
Is this available in the new E Class now?
Old 03-16-2017, 02:47 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Socalsteve
Is this available in the new E Class now?
Yes, also in our SL and even the C-Class has it. The impact of these settings varies based on the type of suspension (ABC, Airmatic, springs). The standard springs in the C/E only firm up the shocks.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:16 AM
Banned

2014 S550
Ummmm, please correct me if I'm wrong...butttt, there are 2 ( two ) buttons on the right of the drivers seat. One changes the setting of the suspension and the other changes the shift patterns. On mine, the one that changes the suspension settings is marked "ABC" in the middle of it. My understanding is that this is only marked on the vehicles with MBC, correct????
Actually I am the one in the wrong. You are quite correct. I can't believe I forgot about that. I just bought a Porsche and my mind has TOTALLY left Mercedes.

I stand completely corrected.

I believe I was thinking about my old W221 which had the button that controlled both the Tranny and Suspension in one. I hope I am not wrong about that.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:42 AM

2015 MBZ S 550
Yes, also in our SL and even the C-Class has it. The impact of these settings varies based on the type of suspension (ABC, Airmatic, springs). The standard springs in the C/E only firm up the shocks.
Funny, after coming from many years of driving 911's, I never even think of putting my 550 in any other mode than comfort. The reason I bought it was for comfort. Growing older, having back issues and driving in heavier traffic were all reasons I bought the 550.

The car is what it is...a big, heavy sedan. Yes, it has a big motor and lots of torque, but it's never gonna come close to being " sporty ". How could it? Physics just takes over at some point, right? Even with its sophisticated suspension.

I am very happy with my purchase. It's a pleasure to drive. Smooth, quiet and comfortable. My 911's had none of those qualities.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Funny, after coming from many years of driving 911's, I never even think of putting my 550 in any other mode than comfort. The reason I bought it was for comfort. Growing older, having back issues and driving in heavier traffic were all reasons I bought the 550.

The car is what it is...a big, heavy sedan. Yes, it has a big motor and lots of torque, but it's never gonna come close to being " sporty ". How could it? Physics just takes over at some point, right? Even with its sophisticated suspension.

I am very happy with my purchase. It's a pleasure to drive. Smooth, quiet and comfortable. My 911's had none of those qualities.
The sport settings just firms up the suspension and reduces body roll. Just in a very comfortable and luxurious way
Old 03-16-2017, 04:05 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
The sport settings just firms up the suspension and reduces body roll. Just in a very comfortable and luxurious way
I'll try that alone without the transmission sport setting. I find the shifts to be too jerky with that on sport.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2017, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 S560, 2020 GLE350
Smile Thanks to SocalSteve, Wolfman, & Chucky300

Partly because of what I read in your posts about MBC and ABC, I just purchased a 2015 S550 w/19K CPO in San Antonio. This car is Palladium Silver w/Crystal Grey Nappa, Prem 1, MBC, SurroundView, 19" AMG sport pkg, DriverAsst pkg. I love the car, and the next day drove 630 miles from SA to Northwest Arkansas. This car replaces a 2008 Lexus LS460 that I drove 98K miles with zero issues - I know I am moving away from the most reliable luxury car made but I purchased all ELW possible from Mercedes and will probably buy a non-Mercedes warranty in 2021 before these run out. I LOVE this car, and the driver assistance stuff really works - I drove 75 miles one stretch south of Dallas nonstop with it on and only went manual when the traffic IN Dallas became stop/stop/stop and go. The MBC is great whenever you stop, accelerate, or go around curves - just like you guys said. We have lots of really curvy and up and down roads here in NWA - I can't wait to drive on them alone so I can drive like I'm in a very fast and comfortable Miata. Your info on MBC was perfect for me - we were here for 7 days to visit kids and grandkids and this car popped up (I have been car shopping for 6 mos) and we bought it.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:09 AM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by OzarkBoy
Partly because of what I read in your posts about MBC and ABC, I just purchased a 2015 S550 w/19K CPO in San Antonio. This car is Palladium Silver w/Crystal Grey Nappa, Prem 1, MBC, SurroundView, 19" AMG sport pkg, DriverAsst pkg. I love the car, and the next day drove 630 miles from SA to Northwest Arkansas. This car replaces a 2008 Lexus LS460 that I drove 98K miles with zero issues - I know I am moving away from the most reliable luxury car made but I purchased all ELW possible from Mercedes and will probably buy a non-Mercedes warranty in 2021 before these run out. I LOVE this car, and the driver assistance stuff really works - I drove 75 miles one stretch south of Dallas nonstop with it on and only went manual when the traffic IN Dallas became stop/stop/stop and go. The MBC is great whenever you stop, accelerate, or go around curves - just like you guys said. We have lots of really curvy and up and down roads here in NWA - I can't wait to drive on them alone so I can drive like I'm in a very fast and comfortable Miata. Your info on MBC was perfect for me - we were here for 7 days to visit kids and grandkids and this car popped up (I have been car shopping for 6 mos) and we bought it.
FYI, this is when the Distronic Plus really shines. Set it and when you come to a complete stop ( automatically) to resume, pull the cruise control stock towards you to activate it again. Unless you are the first car at a red light or at a stop sign.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 S560, 2020 GLE350
Talking MBC/ABC really shines on curvy hilly highways

Saturday drove S550 to Eureka Springs AR (nickname is Little Switzerland) and back with my wife for shopping,etc. This 45 mile drive includes some of the most scenic and twisty roads around and it was a real blast in this car. My wife is prone to car sickness but the flat cornering, resistance to crosswinds (very windy day), and tight body control led to one of our fastest trips ever with little drama and no carsick feelings. I am still amazed that a 5000 lb luxury car can drive like this. Now I know why the dealer put new Continental MOE tires and brake pads on the front with only 19K miles on the car.