S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Distronic Plus question (s)

Old 03-02-2017, 02:04 PM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550
Distronic Plus question (s)

Hi all,

Just curious if you all share the same experience with Distronic Plus that I do...

I find that it tends to not be super smooth when it comes to slowing down and braking. Maybe I'm just a more cautious person than most, but I like slowing down and braking giving myself plenty of time to do this. Feels like with D Plus, it doesn't slow down quick enough and brakes at the last minute. Not jerky, per se, but not as smooth as I would do it.

I've never owned a car that has this feature, so I have nothing to base it against. Is this normal? Is there a software update to smooth this out a bit? Or, something I just need to get used to and live with?

On a very related note... have you ever experienced it when traffic comes to a very abrupt stop and it feels like the D Plus doesn't realize and keeps on speeding up to stopped cars? Have you ever not trusted that it will stop in time and applied the brakes yourself?

As always, thank you all in advance!

Steve

Last edited by Socalsteve; 03-02-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by Socalsteve
Hi all,

Just curious if you all share the same experience with Distronic Plus that I do...

I find that it tends to not be super smooth when it comes to slowing down and braking. Maybe I'm just a more cautious person than most, but I like slowing down and braking giving myself plenty of time to do this. Feels like with D Plus, it doesn't slow down quick enough and brakes at the last minute. Not jerky, per se, but not as smooth as I would do it.

I've never owned a car that has this feature, so I have nothing to base it against. Is this normal? Is there a software update to smooth this out a bit? Or, something I just need to get used to and live with?

On a very related note... have you ever experienced it when traffic comes to a very abrupt stop and it feels like the D Plus doesn't realize and keeps on speeding up to stopped cars? Have you ever not trusted that it will stop in time and applied the brakes yourself?

As always, thank you all in advance!

Steve
distronic plus is an awesome feature but in stop and go traffic it does brake abruptly and most likely pisses off the person trailing you. At times it does scare me so i lower the set speed limit in heavy traffic so it becomes less scary. I also like the lane keep assist/steering. It doesnt seem to work as well at night though.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
1. Make sure your distance is set to MAX. On the stalk you can rotate it to increase/decrease distance between cars.
2. If you are far away from stopped cars (like at the light about 15 car lengths ahead) and set D+, it will not treat it as moving traffic, it will treat it like running into a brick wall or a dead car in the road in front of you. It will apply emergency braking at the very last moment, and may NOT stop in time.
3. If you have it set while traffic is moving, it should work very well and keep track of the car in front of you.

I cannot live without this feature in bumper to bumper traffic or very slow moving traffic. I have had pretty good results.
Hope this helps....
Old 03-02-2017, 08:54 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by Nice Ride
1. Make sure your distance is set to MAX. On the stalk you can rotate it to increase/decrease distance between cars.
2. If you are far away from stopped cars (like at the light about 15 car lengths ahead) and set D+, it will not treat it as moving traffic, it will treat it like running into a brick wall or a dead car in the road in front of you. It will apply emergency braking at the very last moment, and may NOT stop in time.
3. If you have it set while traffic is moving, it should work very well and keep track of the car in front of you.

I cannot live without this feature in bumper to bumper traffic or very slow moving traffic. I have had pretty good results.
Hope this helps....
Please tell me what D+ is...
The following users liked this post:
swaynesworld (03-07-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Please tell me what D+ is...
Distronic Plus....
Old 03-03-2017, 06:14 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Distronic Plus....
Duh...

I thought you meant Sports mode or something. I understand now. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2017, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Duh...

I thought you meant Sports mode or something. I understand now. Thanks!
Been there done that... LOL...

The bad part about D+, it can only handle slight curves a any speed. You will drift over a lane divider and into side traffic if you let it. It cannot handle anything over a very slight curve....

It also does better at speed, say 55 to 75.... In slower traffic 40 to 50, it will often give you the Drunken Sailor ride, it will want to stay left then right and back again to stay in the lane.

I drove about 100 miles non-stop doing between 65 to 80 heading back from Ohio when I first got the car. If you rest your wrists on the bottom of the wheel, the car will do just fine steering and you will almost never receive the "Place Hands on Wheel" your wrists keep enough tension on the wheel just resting there to let the car do its thing....

Give it a try its actually pretty cool... Long fairly straight runs....
swaynesworld (03-07-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,389 Likes on 1,933 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
The Driver's Assistance Package in general and Distronic Plus in particular, are, IMO, "THE" best options ever offered on any car. I will not buy another car without them or another maker's equivalent. That said, the features are still relying on relatively new technology and are not all the way "there" yet. I am sure that these systems are being tweaked, massaged and constantly improved upon by engineers and that every new model, if not every model year, we will see improvements. In the mean time, I keep my eyes on the road and my foot at the ready, while confident that there are another pair of eyes watching out for my safety, should I get distracted.
The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
Nice Ride (03-04-2017), swaynesworld (03-07-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 12:22 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by Streamliner
The Driver's Assistance Package in general and Distronic Plus in particular, are, IMO, "THE" best options ever offered on any car. I will not buy another car without them or another maker's equivalent. That said, the features are still relying on relatively new technology and are not all the way "there" yet. I am sure that these systems are being tweaked, massaged and constantly improved upon by engineers and that every new model, if not every model year, we will see improvements. In the mean time, I keep my eyes on the road and my foot at the ready, while confident that there are another pair of eyes watching out for my safety, should I get distracted.
I wonder if there is a software update to smooth out some of the jerkiness.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I agree with you, I cant live without it.... Its like TiVo with commercial skip.... It would be great if the manufactures have the ability to update the firmware / modules to allow upgrades similar to Tesla has free downloads. Seeing that they charge $300- + just for map updates on a 2014, don't think that day will ever come....
Old 03-04-2017, 11:58 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
I agree with you, I cant live without it.... Its like TiVo with commercial skip.... It would be great if the manufactures have the ability to update the firmware / modules to allow upgrades similar to Tesla has free downloads. Seeing that they charge $300- + just for map updates on a 2014, don't think that day will ever come....
Reminder to self: get free map update done on 2015 S Class before they expire...
Nice Ride (03-05-2017)