2016 S550 window question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 08:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes, BMW
2016 S550 window question

Hello,

I just purchased a used 2016 S550 in mid-February and really love the car. This past weekend we went to San Francisco with some friends and on the way back I sustained a crack in my front window. Although my friends said that the car was the best car they have ever been in (their words multiple times) I was bummed by the damage to my windshield. I need to replace it ($100 deductible with AAA, and $180 to calibrate it at the local MB dealership due to distronic plus and lane change options.)

I have two questions that you could help with:

1) are S550's susceptible to window damage? I thought I had read that somewhere on the forum (can't find the thread) but thought that was an issue before the '16 model.

2) my car doesn't have heads-up display or night vision and I was wondering if I can add those when they replace my windshield. I would like heads-up display but unsure if anyone has done that before...thinking being I might take advantage of this damage and use it as an excuse to add this option with the new one.

Once the weather improves here in Northern California I will add some pictures of my car. Thank you in advance for your help with these questions.

Dave
Old 03-06-2017, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Heads up is pretty tied in to the car, I don't know if it's a simple retrofit. You could always get the windshield for it now just to be safe, but I don't know if you are able to get all the different parts needed and have it enabled in VeDoc and coded, or if it's too invasive. It may require a lot of changes. Same with nightvision.

My suggestion, as you will need it coded anyway, is check with a local dealer and get a quote to retrofit the systems. See what kind of parts list they give you. Even if you install everything, you will need a real MB dealer to update your cars VeDoc listing with the new options and then code everything appropriately, if possible. It may not be.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:46 PM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Heads up is pretty tied in to the car, I don't know if it's a simple retrofit. You could always get the windshield for it now just to be safe, but I don't know if you are able to get all the different parts needed and have it enabled in VeDoc and coded, or if it's too invasive. It may require a lot of changes. Same with nightvision.

My suggestion, as you will need it coded anyway, is check with a local dealer and get a quote to retrofit the systems. See what kind of parts list they give you. Even if you install everything, you will need a real MB dealer to update your cars VeDoc listing with the new options and then code everything appropriately, if possible. It may not be.
Granted, this was for a Porsche, but when I looked into adding options that weren't on my car from the factory, they could be done...but at a cost that was so prohibitive, it would almost behoove you to sell your car and find one with those options.

BTW, when I was looking for my S Class, the Heads Up Display was an option that did not come on many cars. I got lucky to find one with it...and all the other options I wanted. The color was not my first choice, but for $50k off sticker, I'll take it!!!
The following users liked this post:
Nice Ride (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by Socalsteve
Granted, this was for a Porsche, but when I looked into adding options that weren't on my car from the factory, they could be done...but at a cost that was so prohibitive, it would almost behoove you to sell your car and find one with those options.

BTW, when I was looking for my S Class, the Heads Up Display was an option that did not come on many cars. I got lucky to find one with it...and all the other options I wanted. The color was not my first choice, but for $50k off sticker, I'll take it!!!
I did $77k off sticker.... very happy CPO to boot...