Deals on purchasing a lease return?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Socalsteve
Huh? I got a nicer car ( S Class ) that had a msrp of $$123,000 that I got for $73,000 and that included a better warranty then a new car comes with.

So, my $50,000 off retail beats your deal hands down. No luck, just know how to find great deals on great cars.

Btw, I've done similar deals on the three CPO 911's I've owned.
Couple of thoughts...

Some people like new, some like used (to minimize depreciation), some like to buy and some like to lease.

Point is that it is a question of preference or budget, not one of smarts. 99% cars are a loosing proposition financially anyway

You assume that you are better off with a CPO but you won't know that until you sell the car. The percentage of depreciation may just be the same.

Also, you didn't really save $50k off retail since it's a used car, not a new one. Last detail; the CPO warranty is quite good but actually inferior to a new car warranty in terms of coverage. There are a lot of material exclusions so I am not sure why you think it's better...
Old 07-02-2017, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by pjw1967
Yes. As I understand it, whatever was covered before the 4yr/50k ran out is covered for an extra year, so 5yr/unlimited. At time of purchase, we were offered an add'l 2 yrs for $3,500, so ttl 7 yr/unlimited. I would imagine $4k for the 6th and 7th yrs is likely. There are dealers mentioned on this site who will sell you the add'l 2 yrs at hopefully less than you would have paid the selling dealer. Check the Carfax for the in service date as that's is when the clock starts ticking.
http://www.autotrader.com/car-shoppi...es-benz-239524
Trim defects are not covered.....
Old 07-02-2017, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Couple of thoughts...

Some people like new, some like used (to minimize depreciation), some like to buy and some like to lease.

Point is that it is a question of preference or budget, not one of smarts. 99% cars are a loosing proposition financially anyway

You assume that you are better off with a CPO but you won't know that until you sell the car. The percentage of depreciation may just be the same.

Also, you didn't really save $50k off retail since it's a used car, not a new one. Last detail; the CPO warranty is quite good but actually inferior to a new car warranty in terms of coverage. There are a lot of material exclusions so I am not sure why you think it's better...
Purchasing used CPO, you get unlimited mileage. So, you get the full B2B Years, even if you go over the mileage.

The ability to extend the CPO also gives you Unlimited Mileage. This would absolutely be a benefit to those that put-on the mileage...
Old 07-02-2017, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by Rockland
Steve,

Your bought a used car. USED. You do not know what the dealership owned the car for, therefore you have zero clue how much you overpaid. When I was a finance manager in the car business all the big gross deals were on used cars. All the heavy hitter salespeople sold used cars. The new cars had no margins. The used cars we made big gross profit on. Your used car might have been bought wholesale for $64,000 for all you know. You just "think" you got a good deal. You will never know. While some record dealer was smoking weed and farting in your used car for two years, I was driving my new car and enjoying it while you were waiting for the record dealer to stop partying and farting in your $60,000 USED car. Which you paid $73,000 for.
Hey, please come fart in my car and hand me $53k.... Nothing MB Electronic "Beduftung" can't handle.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by Nice Ride
Hey, please come fart in my car and hand me $53k.... Nothing MB Electronic "Beduftung" can't handle.
Was $50k off, but yeah...
Old 07-02-2017, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nice Ride
Purchasing used CPO, you get unlimited mileage. So, you get the full B2B Years, even if you go over the mileage.

The ability to extend the CPO also gives you Unlimited Mileage. This would absolutely be a benefit to those that put-on the mileage...
Unlimited mileage doesn't make it a better warranty though. Coverage matters. Nobody pays for factory warranty when buying new and the coverage is more complete. New car warranties can be extended just like CPO's of course and all those are the same MB extended warranties...
Old 07-02-2017, 02:50 PM

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts
Volvo XC90
Was $50k off, but yeah...
Why not wait two more years and buy it for $40k? You can then convince yourself you got $85k off. Lol.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:18 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by Rockland
Why not wait two more years and buy it for $40k? You can then convince yourself you got $85k off. Lol.
You've convinced me! Next car I buy I will buy a brand new off the lot and have you negotiate on my behalf. Cuz god knows, no one ever messes with a brand new car on test drives. No farting, speeding or car dings from car dealership valets moving them around.

My 3 x CPO 911's and my CPO S Class were horrible purchases. I'll never do that again!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
The following users liked this post:
Nice Ride (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 06:04 PM

Volvo XC90
You've convinced me! Next car I buy I will buy a brand new off the lot and have you negotiate on my behalf. Cuz god knows, no one ever messes with a brand new car on test drives. No farting, speeding or car dings from car dealership valets moving them around.

My 3 x CPO 911's and my CPO S Class were horrible purchases. I'll never do that again!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
nah, you don't want a new car. You never will. You are a used car guy. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Last edited by Rockland; 07-02-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I just traded my 2012 AMG for a 2015 S550, seemed like a pretty good deal. Got the S550 for 64K and they gave me 42K for the AMG, so 22K plus taxes tag and title. The sticker on the S550 was 107K, it just has Distronic, nappa leather and surround view. It's Pallidium with beige and brown interior, nice car. 33K miles on it. Probably not the worlds greatest deal but I kinda wanted to be driving a S for the next few years. Got a 2.5 year certified warrantee.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Just guys should take it easy...

I know plenty of guys buying used that could buy whatever new car they want. No reason to label. Used cars are fine and great deals can be had.

Socialsteve is happy with his car and that is what counts
Nice Ride (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One thing I wonder is if the service history of the previous owner could effect the buyer of a CPO car? Say the previous owner never did a brake flush and something happened with the braking system after the new buyer bought the car. Could Mercedes deny warrantee coverage because the brake fluid was not flushed as per mercedes maintenance schedule and there was no documentation to prove it? Anyone had any issues with this and a CPO car? Just me worrying about something I should probably not even be thinking about as the car does have 2.5 years of warranty left. I'm a fairly detail orientated person. I'd think because the dealer certified the car that past service history would have no bearing on the warrantee? Not sure if the car I'm getting was serviced regularly because nothing shows up on the carfax under service. For all I know there may be receipts with the car in the owners manual, but I still have not seen the car yet, they are getting it out of another dealer. I figured I'd be safe because there is 500 mile 7 day drive provision when you buy a Benz CPO car, if you don't like the car within this time you can return it and exchange it for a equal or greater value car.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:05 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
One thing I wonder is if the service history of the previous owner could effect the buyer of a CPO car? Say the previous owner never did a brake flush and something happened with the braking system after the new buyer bought the car. Could Mercedes deny warrantee coverage because the brake fluid was not flushed as per mercedes maintenance schedule and there was no documentation to prove it? Anyone had any issues with this and a CPO car? Just me worrying about something I should probably not even be thinking about as the car does have 2.5 years of warranty left. I'm a fairly detail orientated person. I'd think because the dealer certified the car that past service history would have no bearing on the warrantee? Not sure if the car I'm getting was serviced regularly because nothing shows up on the carfax under service. For all I know there may be receipts with the car in the owners manual, but I still have not seen the car yet, they are getting it out of another dealer. I figured I'd be safe because there is 500 mile 7 day drive provision when you buy a Benz CPO car, if you don't like the car within this time you can return it and exchange it for a equal or greater value car.
The dealership would probably not give it a CPO warranty if there were service records missing. And, the concept is that after it goes through its CPO inspection process, anything that needs fixing, changing, repairing, etc will get done before it goes for sale. I am sure if it had been in any kind of an accident beyond a body panel being repainted it would get rejected.

In essence, it's like buying a new car at a used price with a longer warranty. My 2015 CPO S Class needed front brakes, so it got front brakes. One of my CPO 911's needed 4 new tires, so it got 4 new tires.

I wouldn't worry. Once it's been CPO'ed, MBZ will honor all warranty issues. My car just got back from its 3rd servicing and I mentioned the trackpad didn't work well when the car got hot, they replaced the whole unit. I also mentioned that the smell thingy wasn't working, they replaced the whole system.

The receipts for servicing follows the VIN, I am sure if you asked for them, they would be happy to email them or print them out for you.

Enjoy your new ( to you ) car!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Socalsteve:
2012 merc amg (07-03-2017), Nice Ride (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 09:09 PM

2015 MBZ S 550

I know plenty of guys buying used that could buy whatever new car they want. No reason to label. Used cars are fine and great deals can be had.

Thank you! I am very happy with my car and what I paid for it. And yeah, if I wanted to, I could write a check for a new car. I'd rather use that money to buy high end bicycles and bike parts ( my real passion ).

It's all about priorities...
Old 07-03-2017, 09:44 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
The dealership would probably not give it a CPO warranty if there were service records missing. And, the concept is that after it goes through its CPO inspection process, anything that needs fixing, changing, repairing, etc will get done before it goes for sale. I am sure if it had been in any kind of an accident beyond a body panel being repainted it would get rejected.

In essence, it's like buying a new car at a used price with a longer warranty. My 2015 CPO S Class needed front brakes, so it got front brakes. One of my CPO 911's needed 4 new tires, so it got 4 new tires.

I wouldn't worry. Once it's been CPO'ed, MBZ will honor all warranty issues. My car just got back from its 3rd servicing and I mentioned the trackpad didn't work well when the car got hot, they replaced the whole unit. I also mentioned that the smell thingy wasn't working, they replaced the whole system.

The receipts for servicing follows the VIN, I am sure if you asked for them, they would be happy to email them or print them out for you.

Enjoy your new ( to you ) car!!!
There is nothing wrong with CPO, but you are so gloriously wrong about the "quality" or stringent standards of a CPO

It is still a car dealer, so the formula still dictates = greatest profit for least amount of work

I've seen CPOs that have been in accidents, fake rims, unauthorized modifications, etc

The "certification " is only as good as the $10/hour tech doing said certification
quantira2 (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 11:08 AM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by jenz
There is nothing wrong with CPO, but you are so gloriously wrong about the "quality" or stringent standards of a CPO

It is still a car dealer, so the formula still dictates = greatest profit for least amount of work

I've seen CPOs that have been in accidents, fake rims, unauthorized modifications, etc

The "certification " is only as good as the $10/hour tech doing said certification
I am pretty much basing my opinion The the 3 Porsche 911's I bought CPO. Maybe Porsche holds their dealerships to a higher standard than other car manufacturers. The CPO cars I bought were all impeccable, with complete service records, all software updates done, engine scans for over revving, updated car fax, all servicing done, brakes, tires, etc held to a very high standard.

My Mercedes fell a bit short of this. No software updates were done, but the car was completely serviced, with almost brand new tires and new brakes on the front axle.

Oh, btw, gloriously wrong is a great term!!!
Old 07-03-2017, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 940 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Thank you! I am very happy with my car and what I paid for it. And yeah, if I wanted to, I could write a check for a new car. I'd rather use that money to buy high end bicycles and bike parts ( my real passion ).

My son just told me about his new to him 2016 Scott Spark Ultimate which had an MSRP of $12.5K. Ironically he told me what a good deal he got by buying it used. He didn't say how much
Old 07-03-2017, 04:04 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
My son just told me about his new to him 2016 Scott Spark Ultimate which had an MSRP of $12.5K. Ironically he told me what a good deal he got by buying it used. He didn't say how much
Not so familiar with the secondary market of mountain bikes, but road bikes take a HUGE hit once the come up for sale used. Massive depreciation. I always buy used bike frames and components, but buy brand new drivetrain wearable parts.

My last purchase was a hand made modern steel road bike with custom paint. Cost the original owner $4,800.00 for the frame and for alone in 2014. I paid $1,500.00 for it. Except for a couple of small marks in the paint, you cannot tell from new...
Old 07-03-2017, 11:14 PM

Volvo XC90

Well, he is the one who started this by stating no one can ever get a good deal by buying a new car.

As if depreciation plays favorites. And people actually pay MSRP. Lol. Smh.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:49 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
For all I know , CPO is the biggest scam invented . I have a dealer friend and he admitted to me that dealer s CPO ANY car because that's what public wants to buy and think they are getting a reliable, throughly tested and checked out car . Nothing could be farther from truth.. CPO is just another used car minus the obvious blemishes that would raise red flags .. mechanically , they are as good or worse as any other car at the same year and mileage ..:
Old 07-04-2017, 10:22 AM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by quantira2
For all I know , CPO is the biggest scam invented . I have a dealer friend and he admitted to me that dealer s CPO ANY car because that's what public wants to buy and think they are getting a reliable, throughly tested and checked out car . Nothing could be farther from truth.. CPO is just another used car minus the obvious blemishes that would raise red flags .. mechanically , they are as good or worse as any other car at the same year and mileage ..:
Which dealership does he work for? ( car manufacturer ). This has not been my experience with the three CPO Porsche 911's I've owned. And, it truly feels like my CPO MBZ S Class is the same.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I get the feeling Benz has fairly high Standards on CPO, Oh well I guess I will find out when I see the car I bought sight unseen later this week. I know if I don't like it I'm not obligated, Benz has a 1 week 500 mile return Policy on their CPO cars, that gives the buy another edge.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:21 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 E350 wagon

I'm with you on this one Steve. I'm looking at a CPO 2016 wagon to haul my bike, golf clubs and hockey equipment. Priorities.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I looked at quite a few CPO S550's and most are lease returns and I'd say they were not taken care of as well as a car that was owned outright, but these cars are tough and as long as you can have the dealer take care of the cosmetic stuff like dirty carpets and blemishes dents and dings your getting a fair deal with that extra 1 year unlimited mileage warrantee tagged on.