S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Run flats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 11:06 AM

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts
2023 S Class 2013 SL
Run flats

Saw this post on FB and thought, more fodder for the rage.
Pardon me while I slowly count to ten. Or twenty. Oh heck, who am I kidding! I could count to 100,000 and I would still be ticked off. When I purchased my car a few months back, I was told it had run-flat tires; I asked to purchase a spare and was told I would never need it (also found out the tires are different sizes in front and back). So....left Greenfield, Indiana (just east of Indianapolis) this morning, and because we made good time (no, I didn't speed, thank you), decided I would keep going to Jackson, Mississippi, that would then get us home fairly early tomorrow. We stopped in Grenada, MS, for a quick break and a soft drink at Wendy's, and got back on the highway, and I heard a noise, then a warning came on telling me the passenger side rear tire had 0 psi. I had been told the run-flat tire would get me "at least" 50 miles....but Jackson, the nearest Mercedes dealership (which, of course, is closed on Sunday) is 105 miles. So we turned and came back to Grenada, and I called Mercedes Roadside Assistance. Well, they could send a tow truck tonight (we had already checked into the Holiday Inn Express, figuring they would send someone to repair the tire) and tow it (and us) to Jackson, but the car wouldn't be looked at till tomorrow. We had already checked into the hotel, figuring we may as well be comfortable till they sent help to repair the tire (figured it would be a local company, they would remove the tire, go fix it and bring it back). Nope. So called AAA. Same story - nobody local. So tomorrow we will have it towed to Jackson (and us with it)....105 miles in a tow truck (joy!), then maybe, just maybe, we can head home. Run-flat tires vs. "real" tires and a spare? I'll opt for the second choice, thank you! MercedesNonService
Old 06-26-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15 s550, 85 iroc z28, 87 Buick Grand National
I hate the run flats. buying a spare and jack today!
Old 06-27-2017, 10:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
Originally Posted by docsout
Saw this post on FB and thought, more fodder for the rage.
Pardon me while I slowly count to ten. Or twenty. Oh heck, who am I kidding! I could count to 100,000 and I would still be ticked off. When I purchased my car a few months back, I was told it had run-flat tires; I asked to purchase a spare and was told I would never need it (also found out the tires are different sizes in front and back). So....left Greenfield, Indiana (just east of Indianapolis) this morning, and because we made good time (no, I didn't speed, thank you), decided I would keep going to Jackson, Mississippi, that would then get us home fairly early tomorrow. We stopped in Grenada, MS, for a quick break and a soft drink at Wendy's, and got back on the highway, and I heard a noise, then a warning came on telling me the passenger side rear tire had 0 psi. I had been told the run-flat tire would get me "at least" 50 miles....but Jackson, the nearest Mercedes dealership (which, of course, is closed on Sunday) is 105 miles. So we turned and came back to Grenada, and I called Mercedes Roadside Assistance. Well, they could send a tow truck tonight (we had already checked into the Holiday Inn Express, figuring they would send someone to repair the tire) and tow it (and us) to Jackson, but the car wouldn't be looked at till tomorrow. We had already checked into the hotel, figuring we may as well be comfortable till they sent help to repair the tire (figured it would be a local company, they would remove the tire, go fix it and bring it back). Nope. So called AAA. Same story - nobody local. So tomorrow we will have it towed to Jackson (and us with it)....105 miles in a tow truck (joy!), then maybe, just maybe, we can head home. Run-flat tires vs. "real" tires and a spare? I'll opt for the second choice, thank you! MercedesNonService
wow, 100k car, I hope MB reads these stories

yes, I have a spare and jack in both my cars, but should have been an option with proper space for the spare, instead of taking up room in my trunks

there are several things I don't like about MB, this is one of the main ones

I hope you are not too inconvenienced, anymore than you already are. I would be pissed!
Old 06-28-2017, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 576 Likes on 431 Posts
W212 FL
Sorry to hear about that incident ,I take these run flats are hit and miss in a sense .A guy on BMW Forums said he got out of 400 miles from a run flat tire with right rear 0 pressure . It's beyond incredible but some guys definitely love those tires.
My dad's car came with 2 spare tires , one regular fit the other is slim one . Not to mention it eats up trunk space remarkably
Old 06-28-2017, 08:44 AM

Received 117 Likes on 74 Posts
2021 e All Terrain, 2001 e55
I bought a spare from W-221 and put it in my trunk. I also bought regular tires. The regular tires run better (marginally) they last longer and they're less expensive.

Unfortunately I have less room in my trunk which is a negative but I feel better anyway.

Also, I watch every pothole or imperfection in the road. I bought Continental DWS but I understand that Michelin makes a pilot which is also really nice

I had one experience with the runflat tire. It was my fault I hit a pothole. It got me home without ruining the rim.

I also joined AAA encase it takes too long for roadside assistance to get to me it's much easier to find someone who works for AAA. A lot of times that's who roadside sins anyway
Old 06-28-2017, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Ah yes, my second favorite subject here. And the phrase I coined: Run Flat Tires are the KISS OF DEATH! My rants on this subject got me kicked off the MB Advisors website. For you old W222 guys, don't read the following, as I am repeating myself for the newer guys.

Several years ago, I was commuting home on the I405 from my business in L.A. to my home in Orange County. It was dark, with fast, rush hour traffic, probably going 65 or 70. I was in the number one lane, driving my Lexus LS sedan, when I hit something with my left front tire. I never saw what it was, but it SHREDDED the nearly new Michelin tire. I managed to get over to the right shoulder and I called AAA, but within minutes, a Metro tow truck pulled up behind me. The driver jacked the car up, put on my full size, matching alloy spare (Thank you Lexus!) and I was home for dinner. Had I been in a RFT equipped W222 with no spare, I would have been in for a ride in a tow truck cab--how lovely!-would have had to rent a car, would have gotten home very late, would have had to retrieve my car a day or two later and who knows WTF else would have happened?

Take the above scenario, but let's say you have your wife & two kids in the car, trunk full of stuff and you are visiting Mt. Rushmore. Can you even FUxKING IMAGINE that?

When I ordered my 2015 S550, I demanded that the RFT be swapped out for my choice of conventional tires. When the car came in, the dealer told me it would take a few days to get the tires and that I could bring the car back for the swap. I did that and drove on the RFT for about 500 miles. Then, the swap for Bridgestone Serenity Plus conventional tires was made. MUCH smoother ride, especially over rough spots, parking lot aprons, etc., but the noise factor at highway speeds was DAY AND NIGHT better. The RFT screamed, the conventionals are silent. I bought an unused W221 spare on eBay, along with a W222 jack kit. I lose trunk space, but I have peace of mind.

EVERY FUxKING TIME you interact with any MB employee, voice your complaint on RFT & no spare. If BMW-who started this madness-can now offer the option of a spare on their new 7 series, so should MB.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:49 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
Caution for those of you who change to conventional tires along with a spare--
You may need different shorter lug bolts for your spare. Verify that you have compatible lug bolts or you will be in a whole lot of hurt if and when you need to use your spare.
The following 2 users liked this post by steveb9771:
BenzV12 (06-29-2017), Nice Ride (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by steveb9771
You may need different shorter lug bolts for your spare. Verify that you have compatible lug bolts or you will be in a whole lot of hurt if and when you need to use your spare.
That is correct. My spare came with the special lugs shrink wrapped onto the spare from the factory.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes e300 2017
Tire pressure

The wheel damage is due to the tire completely collapsing and letting the wheel collide with the edge of the pothole. More air pressure will provide more support. I run 40 psi in the winter. Ride's awful but haven't had any tire/wheel damage.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 576 Likes on 431 Posts
W212 FL
Originally Posted by steveb9771
That's interesting , thanks for the heads up
Old 07-05-2017, 08:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes Benz 2015 S350 Bluetec
Also changed to the non run-flat tires when the run flats were done. Felt like a completely different car. Ride and road noise significantly improved. Opted for the tire repair kit however instead of an extra spare wheel.

Last edited by allie14705; 07-05-2017 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Addition