MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W222) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222-178/)
-   -   Anybody done a Tune on their 2014 Up S550? (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222/677830-anybody-done-tune-their-2014-up-s550.html)

2012 merc amg 08-14-2017 04:35 PM

Anybody done a Tune on their 2014 Up S550?

I'm thinking with a tune, either Renntec, Eurocharged or Wiestec, that my 2015 S550 Sedan would be about as fast as my traded in 2012 E63 AMG Wagon. Right now stock the S550 feels pretty snappy in Sport mode, with a tune I'd think it would feel real good. Who here has done a tune on their 2014 up S550 and what were your experiences? Did you drag race it? I'd be interested to see if with a tune alone it's possible to get this car into the low 12's? Right now stock it's suppose to be around a 13.2 second Quarter mile which is no slouch. I've thought about also getting rid of the resonators for straight pipes, seems simple enough to do and would give the car a little better sound when accelerating. The thing I really do like about this S550 over my old AMG is the ride is so much better over the bumpy roads we have here in New England, the AMG rode really bad and was not very comfortable. I'm really liking this car. My only complaint is I wish it had a regular gas gauge rather than that percentage thing. Also at times the trans downshifts very harsh, sometimes upshifts harsh, but those are very rare occasions, like maybe once a week on one shift, so not really a issue. Gas mileage is about 4 mpg better on the highway at 26 mpg than my AMG, best I could get highway out of that car was 22 mpg. It would be awesome though to do a tune on this car and beat Camaros and mustang GT's.

Streamliner 08-14-2017 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg (Post 7238859)
I'm thinking with a tune, either Renntec, Eurocharged or Wiestec, that my 2015 S550 Sedan would be about as fast as my traded in 2012 E63 AMG Wagon. Right now stock the S550 feels pretty snappy in Sport mode, with a tune I'd think it would feel real good. Who here has done a tune on their 2014 up S550 and what were your experiences? Did you drag race it? I'd be interested to see if with a tune alone it's possible to get this car into the low 12's? Right now stock it's suppose to be around a 13.2 second Quarter mile which is no slouch. I've thought about also getting rid of the resonators for straight pipes, seems simple enough to do and would give the car a little better sound when accelerating. The thing I really do like about this S550 over my old AMG is the ride is so much better over the bumpy roads we have here in New England, the AMG rode really bad and was not very comfortable. I'm really liking this car. My only complaint is I wish it had a regular gas gauge rather than that percentage thing. Also at times the trans downshifts very harsh, sometimes upshifts harsh, but those are very rare occasions, like maybe once a week on one shift, so not really a issue. Gas mileage is about 4 mpg better on the highway at 26 mpg than my AMG, best I could get highway out of that car was 22 mpg. It would be awesome though to do a tune on this car and beat Camaros and mustang GT's.

I'm SO glad you live in Florida.:D

Socalsteve 08-15-2017 03:15 PM

This made me laugh out loud!

dappersclass 08-15-2017 03:37 PM

I had AMR Performance tune my S63 and I couldn't be happier with it. They smoothened out the whole car while increasing the power substantially! This thing is a rocketship now, which makes up for how bulky it is lol. My two cents would be to check them out. Good luck with the car :y

2012 merc amg 08-15-2017 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Socalsteve (Post 7239692)
This made me laugh out loud!

I actually think this car would be fun at the drag track, it's a sleeper for sure. With a tune theres no doubt the car would run at least a 12.5 in the quarter mile, thats a pretty respectable time, all in the comfort of listening to some good music through the Burmester and getting a nice heated back massage lol.

2012 merc amg 08-15-2017 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by dappersclass (Post 7239707)
I had AMR Performance tune my S63 and I couldn't be happier with it. They smoothened out the whole car while increasing the power substantially! This thing is a rocketship now, which makes up for how bulky it is lol. My two cents would be to check them out. Good luck with the car :y

I'll check that out. I have heard with a tune the S550 is faster than the stock S63 which is surprising. The S63 has the same 5.5 motor in it as the car I just got rid of, the AMG Wagon. My S550 in sport mode feels like a rocketship already, I can only imagine it with a tune.

hyperion667 08-16-2017 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 7238950)
I'm SO glad you live in Florida.:D

:slap:

2012 merc amg 08-16-2017 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by hyperion667 (Post 7240441)
:slap:

Emailed AMR, 2 grand for a tune, not too bad. He had said you get deduct 1/10th of a second quarter mile time for every 100 lbs, so that would make this car about 1/2 second slower than my old AMG assuming I do a tune and put out around the same hp as the AMG which is possible. The AWD has to be good for at least 2/10s though over the rwd so my figure of 12.5 seconds assuming a good run is probably about right. I dunno, I think maybe I won't tinker with this car as I really do like it a lot as it is and just wait for my AMG wagon order to come in if that ever happens, lol.

Streamliner 08-16-2017 04:17 PM

SA to OP: "I'm very sorry you threw a rod and blew up your engine. We'll take care of that under warr.........Oh! I see you have "tuned" the engine. That will be $25,000.00 please.":D

dappersclass 08-16-2017 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg (Post 7240611)
Emailed AMR, 2 grand for a tune, not too bad. He had said you get deduct 1/10th of a second quarter mile time for every 100 lbs, so that would make this car about 1/2 second slower than my old AMG assuming I do a tune and put out around the same hp as the AMG which is possible. The AWD has to be good for at least 2/10s though over the rwd so my figure of 12.5 seconds assuming a good run is probably about right. I dunno, I think maybe I won't tinker with this car as I really do like it a lot as it is and just wait for my AMG wagon order to come in if that ever happens, lol.

Nice that's not a bad price for the improvements over stock:y. I would just do the tune and nothing hardware related lol that is what I do for all my cars. I can't be bothered upgrading hardware. The gains from software alone are enough for me personally. Also, the customer service and warranty that AMR offers was another huge factor in my decision, so I believe it is well worth it. Best of luck!

RoseyPSU 08-17-2017 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by dappersclass (Post 7240868)
Nice that's not a bad price for the improvements over stock:y. I would just do the tune and nothing hardware related lol that is what I do for all my cars. I can't be bothered upgrading hardware. The gains from software alone are enough for me personally. Also, the customer service and warranty that AMR offers was another huge factor in my decision, so I believe it is well worth it. Best of luck!

Have you ever had an issue with MB service when taking your car (with a tune) in for work/standard service/mechanical issue?

alexandercat76 08-17-2017 11:50 AM

Renntech on my 2015, very happy... Tried straight pipe, loud as ****, went back to original... Dealer can't find out if you have Renntech your car so no problem with the warranty...

2012 merc amg 08-17-2017 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by alexandercat76 (Post 7241377)
Renntech on my 2015, very happy... Tried straight pipe, loud as ****, went back to original... Dealer can't find out if you have Renntech your car so no problem with the warranty...

Cool, I hear the car feels much lighter with a tune with the extra power. I'm thinking about OE Tuning, they are only 1200 bucks. Anybody else know anything about OE Tuning? Sounds like something that is probably worthwhile to do. I question though if my car might have even been tuned by the previous owner already though as the car just feels so fast and this coming from a guy that was driving a 5.5 twin turbo AMG wagon for the past 4 years. I guess if I do a quarter mile run with the car and it turns under a 13 I'd know for sure. It sure feels like it would by my seat of the pants gauge. I think Ill just leave the exhaust alone and everything else alone. I might consider putting some Michelin Super Sports tires on when the tires where out, I really don't drive in much bad weather and summer only tires would be fine. Right now I have Bridgestone Turanzas on the car and I'm sure I'd see much better handling with a decent Summer only performance tires, although this car is nearly 5000 lbs so it's not like I'll be racing around a circle track with this car any time soon, lol

loungn14 08-17-2017 02:58 PM

I would love to throw our hat in the ring as well! We have a sale for 1200 now as well and we are one of the only tuners that offers a motor protection warranty!

All of the power, none of the mb tax!

www.eurocharged.com

dappersclass 08-17-2017 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by RoseyPSU (Post 7241309)
Have you ever had an issue with MB service when taking your car (with a tune) in for work/standard service/mechanical issue?

No, I have never had an issue at the dealer and AMR offers a motor warranty program as well, so I am not too worried about it :nix:

2012 merc amg 08-17-2017 04:33 PM

How is the ECU pulled on these cars and where is it located, I'm hoping under the dash because I use wheelchair and can't stand so if it's in the middle of the engine compartment no way am I gonna be able to get it out. If under the dash it should not be a problem. Anybody know the procedure for removal?

Manofsteelpt 08-17-2017 08:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg (Post 7241718)
How is the ECU pulled on these cars and where is it located, I'm hoping under the dash because I use wheelchair and can't stand so if it's in the middle of the engine compartment no way am I gonna be able to get it out. If under the dash it should not be a problem. Anybody know the procedure for removal?

This is your ECU, pal. There will be a cpl of wiring harnesses connected to it. Hopefully you can get someone to help you out.

2012 merc amg 08-17-2017 10:42 PM

Thanks, ya no way am I gonna be able to reach that. When I was younger I use to stand on leg braces to work on cars, those days are long gone.

dappersclass 08-18-2017 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg (Post 7241963)
Thanks, ya no way am I gonna be able to reach that. When I was younger I use to stand on leg braces to work on cars, those days are long gone.

Yeah that might quite the reach for you, but I am sure someone can help? Removing it is quite easy as you just unclip the harnesses. I wish you luck with your tune! Cheers

mrmotoguzzi00 08-18-2017 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg (Post 7241963)

I live in the next town over, if ya want to do it I will volunteer to help ya out :)

Mike

2012 merc amg 08-18-2017 02:34 PM

Appreciate the offer, but I'm only there winters, up in Rhode Island now.

mrmotoguzzi00 08-18-2017 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg (Post 7242485)
Appreciate the offer, but I'm only there winters, up in Rhode Island now.

fair enough :)

alphainfinity 08-18-2017 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by alexandercat76 (Post 7241377)

This is REALLY BAD information which is why you need to double check everything you read on a forum. Dealers can and are finding these tunes and Mercedes is starting to take action:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...tech-tune.html

I chatted with my service manager and he confirmed that a tune can and most likely will get a powertrain warranty claim denied from Mercedes once they Status 8 your VIN.

mrmotoguzzi00 08-18-2017 05:02 PM

Was at the dealer today and they absolutely can tell.... spoke with Lead guy who was working on my ml63.... they used to install the renntech and it was covered, over the last few years they have since stopped honoring warranty claims on motor related....

Since i will be out warranty soon.... I don't care :)

Mike

Streamliner 08-18-2017 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by alphainfinity (Post 7242659)
This is REALLY BAD information which is why you need to double check everything you read on a forum. Dealers can and are finding these tunes and Mercedes is starting to take action:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...tech-tune.html

I chatted with my service manager and he confirmed that a tune can and most likely will get a powertrain warranty claim denied from Mercedes once they Status 8 your VIN.

:smash: