S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

2014-2015 S550 CPO Lease?

Old 10-11-2017, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK430
2014-2015 S550 CPO Lease?

Rather than ordering a 'mini-S' E400 I'm considering leasing a CPO 2014 or 2015 S-Class... any help would be appreciated:

- How negotiable are CPO S-Class vehicles? Same as new cars?
- Anyone know current MF/Residuals on 2014 or 2015 S550?

Really appreciate any input!
Old 10-11-2017, 10:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
18 s560
I’m not 100% certain and maybe it’s different by state. But I’m pretty sure you can’t lease used CPO Mercedes at least not through Mercedes.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:09 PM

CLK430
Originally Posted by JY-MB
I’m not 100% certain and maybe it’s different by state. But I’m pretty sure you can’t lease used CPO Mercedes at least not through Mercedes.
Hmm, sales guy said cars "are available for CPO Lease Program". He didn't specifically say MB but he is an MB dealer! Will write back when I visit this weekend if anyone is interested.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by elrepho
Hmm, sales guy said cars "are available for CPO Lease Program". He didn't specifically say MB but he is an MB dealer! Will write back when I visit this weekend if anyone is interested.
MBFS only leases new cars (or untitled used cars, such as dealer demos, dealer cars or loaners that are pulled from circulation)
Old 10-11-2017, 11:41 PM

CLK430
Originally Posted by Wolfman
MBFS only leases new cars (or untitled used cars, such as dealer demos, dealer cars or loaners that are pulled from circulation)
Thanks for reply, did some googling and from mbofmassapequa.com website:
Yes, you can lease a certified pre-owned Mercedes-Benz. When most people think of getting a new car, they assume they will have to buy the vehicle. While many drivers have no problem with this, you may be unwilling to invest in the full cost of a car if you have not yet had a chance to drive it. Seeking to address this dilemma, Mercedes-Benz offers its customers the chance to lease pre-owned vehicles. Whether you are seeking more information before a purchase or simply want to use a vehicle without buying it, leasing a Mercedes offers no shortage of benefits, including:, etc

Anyhow, will find out soon and post if anyone is interested.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
Yes you can lease cpo s classes, the price I got was 8500 down and 1086 a month w 12000 miles per year.....Pretty sure new one cant be to far off.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 1bad540
Yes you can lease cpo s classes, the price I got was 8500 down and 1086 a month w 12000 miles per year.....Pretty sure new one cant be to far off.
I know that dealers offer leases on CPO's but it is my understanding that these are not financed through MBFS but rather 3rd party banks/credit unions...
Old 10-12-2017, 03:58 PM

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
20 G63, 19 720s
Originally Posted by 1bad540
Doesn't sound enticing for a used... My MSRP is 120k and we lease for 14xx a month. Our upfront was all taxes and fees.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
No incentive for me at all. Rather thro some cash down and finance a cpo.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:41 AM

CLK430
I know that dealers offer leases on CPO's but it is my understanding that these are not financed through MBFS but rather 3rd party banks/credit unions...
The plot thickens . . . now this explanation from salesman:
As far as leases go on our Pre owned vehicles, determination is at the discretion of our general sales manager and has to be discussed upon arrival at our dealership, as there are a very select few pre owned vehicles in which we do lease.
So seems like they may 3rd party lease some CPO vehicles as MBFS wouldn't let each dealer decide, would they?

Also, found a loaner with low miles that MBFS will lease. Can anyone help with Depreciation and MF on 2017 S 4matic?
Old 10-13-2017, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by elrepho
The plot thickens . . . now this explanation from salesman:
As far as leases go on our Pre owned vehicles, determination is at the discretion of our general sales manager and has to be discussed upon arrival at our dealership, as there are a very select few pre owned vehicles in which we do lease.
So seems like they may 3rd party lease some CPO vehicles as MBFS wouldn't let each dealer decide, would they?

Also, found a loaner with low miles that MBFS will lease. Can anyone help with Depreciation and MF on 2017 S 4matic?
MBFS is not involved in CPO leases; I had to speak to them about our lease end and they confirmed as much.

That said, I take a loaner over a CPO any day as CPO warranty is inferior to a new car warranty. You also save money on not needing an extended warranty until years later. I would expect to take $20k off a new MY17. A loaner will be cheaper obviously, based on miles and condition. I don't recall the latest MF on a 17 but expect it to be less than .00085

Good luck!
Old 10-13-2017, 03:27 PM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550
MBFS is not involved in CPO leases; I had to speak to them about our lease end and they confirmed as much.

That said, I take a loaner over a CPO any day as CPO warranty is inferior to a new car warranty. You also save money on not needing an extended warranty until years later. I would expect to take $20k off a new MY17. A loaner will be cheaper obviously, based on miles and condition. I don't recall the latest MF on a 17 but expect it to be less than .00085

Good luck!
In my humble opinion, I’d rather have a CPO car that was driven by one person the entire time than a loaner car that was driven by multiple people. Also, the CPO warranty is longer and has unlimited miles over a new car warranty. And, a CPO warranty kicks in after the new car warranty expires.

Again, just my $.02, for what that’s worth.
The following users liked this post:
aypues (10-19-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 03:55 PM

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
20 G63, 19 720s

Good luck!
Originally Posted by Socalsteve
In my humble opinion, I’d rather have a CPO car that was driven by one person the entire time than a loaner car that was driven by multiple people. Also, the CPO warranty is longer and has unlimited miles over a new car warranty. And, a CPO warranty kicks in after the new car warranty expires.

cpo warranty will never be as comprehensive as new car warranty. When u buy a loaner, warranty will still be based off of first in service date which means u get <4 years of factory warranty.

Most higher end loaners/demo units I have seen are definitely not loaners or demo but rather one of the mgrs car. They don’t loan out S-classes for cars in service. Not feasible. Even E or 5 series are pretty rare.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:49 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by johndong888
cpo warranty will never be as comprehensive as new car warranty. When u buy a loaner, warranty will still be based off of first in service date which means u get <4 years of factory warranty.

Most higher end loaners/demo units I have seen are definitely not loaners or demo but rather one of the mgrs car. They don’t loan out S-classes for cars in service. Not feasible. Even E or 5 series are pretty rare.
CPO warranties START after the factory warrant ends. It adds 1 more year ( to 5 ) and extends the mileage to unlimited.

When a good dealership customer comes in and wants a new S Class, I am sure the manager “ loans “ their car to the customer for a weekend, overnight, whatever. This “ loaner “ car is not just driven by one individual. And, it could also be the car that’s used for test drives. Again, it will be more beaten up* over a lease return CPO vehicle.

* Given that the original owner of the lease didn’t trash it. Probably unlikely for an S Class lease.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Picking a specific car is a personal preference to be sure. Loaners will also never be fully loaded models which is important for many as high-priced options become more or less a freebee. But S-Class loaners are also typically lower mileage as they are normally reserved only for same level car service/repairs. The ones I have seen for sale had 3-4k miles, similar to demos.
But you seem to have the illusion that a CPO warranty is somehow better than a new car warranty. CPO warranty is a plain old 1 year used car warranty. It has unlimited miles knowing full well that the average annual miles driven are under 14k miles. I you buy a 2-3 year old CPO, you will have a total 2-3 year warranty.
A likely low mileage loaner will have the full 4 year new car warranty which only starts with the day of sale and covers all aspects of the car with the exception of some consumables whereas the CPO warranty contains a number of material exclusions.

Don't get me wrong, CPO warranties are great but neither equal nor better. Wether new or used, either will end up having the same extended warranty coverage afterwards...
Old 10-13-2017, 09:16 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Picking a specific car is a personal preference to be sure. Loaners will also never be fully loaded models which is important for many as high-priced options become more or less a freebee. But S-Class loaners are also typically lower mileage as they are normally reserved only for same level car service/repairs. The ones I have seen for sale had 3-4k miles, similar to demos.
But you seem to have the illusion that a CPO warranty is somehow better than a new car warranty. CPO warranty is a plain old 1 year used car warranty. It has unlimited miles knowing full well that the average annual miles driven are under 14k miles. I you buy a 2-3 year old CPO, you will have a total 2-3 year warranty.
A likely low mileage loaner will have the full 4 year new car warranty which only starts with the day of sale and covers all aspects of the car with the exception of some consumables whereas the CPO warranty contains a number of material exclusions.

Don't get me wrong, CPO warranties are great but neither equal nor better. Wether new or used, either will end up having the same extended warranty coverage afterwards...
Oooops, I didn’t realize that when you purchase a loaner that the warranty hadn’t already started. Is this always the case?
Old 10-13-2017, 09:48 PM

CLK430
All good points . . . I'm trying to find a low mi CPO S on a fully loaded '18 E Class budget! Very time consuming!
Old 10-18-2017, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,146 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Oooops, I didn’t realize that when you purchase a loaner that the warranty hadn’t already started. Is this always the case?
The warranty starts based on the in service date. So whenever they registered the car is when the warranty starts. If it's CPO, it kicks in 4 years after the in service date and you get one year of CPO. You can go to the extended warranty sub-forum and buy an extra 2 years of CPO coverage for a total of 3 years, it's usually cheaper than whatever the dealer wants. The factory bumper to bumper 4/50k is better coverage than any CPO or extended warranty. Covers a lot more. It would cover cosmetic items that a CPO typically excludes. Manufacturer leases are usually the best because they have an incentive to have artificially high residual values so they end up taking a loss when you turn in the lease. If you're going through a bank, they don't want to lose money so the residual is a realistic number or too low so they don't lose money at the end of the lease so that makes the monthly payments higher.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:51 AM

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts
Corvette C8 997S, Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve BMW 750 S560 Coupe
I lucked out, someone I've been dealing with for 25 years became a manager at one of my local MB dealers. They had a 2015 CPO car (the exact looking car on the front of the 2015 S class brochure), 135K sticker driven 6k miles a year. I was able to buy it at about half of sticker. I never lease I go through cars to quickly, but they offered me a financing deal that was pretty good with payments below those lease numbers.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:51 PM

CLK430
Thanks for all the replies! Gave up on the CPO lease idea. As Wolfman stated, MBFS is not doing leases on CPO despite what the car salesman said. They had a 3rd party able to do leases but the residuals were pretty ugly! Will have to buy so the search continues!