S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

hot touchpad edges

Old 10-12-2017, 07:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
S550
hot touchpad edges

All,

Looking for your experience on this. I have a 2015 S550 and I've noticed that the edges of the touchpad can sometimes get pretty hot. I'm not talking about the car sitting in the sun and everything getting hot, but rather in situations where the car is being driven at night or it's a cloudy day etc. I have this problem, the edges of the touchpad measured 117F via a thermal camera at the dealership, it was actually hotter down further in the console, but the bottom edge was where they measured. This was after I drove the car to the dealer for an oil change and we took the car our for a short road test to see if we could replicate a surging problem I'd noticed at initial throttle in sport mode. Anyway, long story short, the dealer felt the hot edge when I pointed it out and they got the thermal camera out when we got back to the shop and saw the 117F. They replaced the touchpad, but the problem came back, driving at night this time, much hotter than surrounding areas and the seat heater (and center console heater) were not engaged.

Dealer scratched their head and called MB corporate and the answer from them is, more or less, they all do that. The dealer even grabbed another 2015 S550 and tested, but I don't know if they tested a car off the lot (i.e. in the sun and with a hot interior) or if the car was in the shade and at cooler temps.

Anyone else with a 2015 S550 experience anything similar? My BS detector is twitching, but I don't have the experience here to say otherwise. It doesn't do it very often, so it's completely unpredictable when it will happen again, and it seems to happen when I'm not anywhere near the dealer, so I got lucky that one time, but now MB is saying that temps close to scalding are ok and expected? In this car?! I REALLY have a hard time believing that and think maybe they didn't understand the problem so they just gave a "whatever" answer.
thanks in advance

-Richard
Old 10-12-2017, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 473 Likes on 327 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by RSouthern
All,

Looking for your experience on this. I have a 2015 S550 and I've noticed that the edges of the touchpad can sometimes get pretty hot. I'm not talking about the car sitting in the sun and everything getting hot, but rather in situations where the car is being driven at night or it's a cloudy day etc. I have this problem, the edges of the touchpad measured 117F via a thermal camera at the dealership, it was actually hotter down further in the console, but the bottom edge was where they measured. This was after I drove the car to the dealer for an oil change and we took the car our for a short road test to see if we could replicate a surging problem I'd noticed at initial throttle in sport mode. Anyway, long story short, the dealer felt the hot edge when I pointed it out and they got the thermal camera out when we got back to the shop and saw the 117F. They replaced the touchpad, but the problem came back, driving at night this time, much hotter than surrounding areas and the seat heater (and center console heater) were not engaged.

Dealer scratched their head and called MB corporate and the answer from them is, more or less, they all do that. The dealer even grabbed another 2015 S550 and tested, but I don't know if they tested a car off the lot (i.e. in the sun and with a hot interior) or if the car was in the shade and at cooler temps.

Anyone else with a 2015 S550 experience anything similar? My BS detector is twitching, but I don't have the experience here to say otherwise. It doesn't do it very often, so it's completely unpredictable when it will happen again, and it seems to happen when I'm not anywhere near the dealer, so I got lucky that one time, but now MB is saying that temps close to scalding are ok and expected? In this car?! I REALLY have a hard time believing that and think maybe they didn't understand the problem so they just gave a "whatever" answer.
thanks in advance

-Richard
I can't believe you brought this up!!! I just noticed this about 2 weeks ago on my 2017 S63. The touchpad gets every bit as hot as yours but it's the entire touchpad. Doesn't do it all the time, but when it does , it is extremely hot.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 S550 4Matic
Same here