MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W222) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222-178/)
-   -   Upgraded leather and backseat options questions (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222/686124-upgraded-leather-backseat-options-questions.html)

Max3732 10-18-2017 03:10 PM

Upgraded leather and backseat options questions

After researching options, reading about the car in magazines and online, watching videos, etc for years I finally drove one yesterday and it was honestly a bit of a letdown. The car I'm used to is a 2003 Lexus LS430 and maybe it's because I'm used to it, but the LS actually felt more comfortable than the S560.

My main issue was the seats just didn't feel as soft as the Lexus or as soft as I was expecting. My only hope was that the upgraded leather would be softer than the Nappa leather in the car I drove, but he said the only difference between the base, exclusive, and designo leather is the stitching. It seems like I know more about the car than the salesman so I wanted to verify this from people that have seen both of them. He also said he couldn't find any cars on the lot with upgraded leather so I couldn't figure it out for myself.

Also, they didn't have a single car with any backseat upgrades. From what I've read they seem like they'd be extremely nice to have. What are your thoughts?

1bad540 10-18-2017 06:53 PM

Upgrade interior would be nice, back seat option doesnt matter for me. Softer Lexus seats? there prb vinyl...most lexus are.LOL

Max3732 10-18-2017 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by 1bad540 (Post 7289551)
Upgrade interior would be nice, back seat option doesnt matter for me. Softer Lexus seats? there prb vinyl...most lexus are.LOL

Why would the upgraded interior be nice? For the looks or the feel?

1bad540 10-19-2017 08:11 AM

personally I like the diamond stitching. Im sure the leather is the same.

hyperion667 10-19-2017 08:19 AM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.........the Volvo S40 (2001) I had possessed the most comfortable seats I think I've ever put my ass on in a car......and that was the entry level Volvo. I have the leather below the designo and it really isn't that 'soft'.

syswei 10-19-2017 10:25 AM

Not sure about this, but here is what I THINK:

3 grades of leather:
standard
nappa
semi-aniline

but 4 trim levels because nappa can be in 1 of 2 designs (regular or exclusive, with the diamond pattern on seats and dash)

nappa is softer to the hand than standard imo
not sure if semi-aniline is softer touch, but I think it is supposed to be more durable

Personally the semi-aniline Designo designs appeal to me because of the "tufted" or "3D" look on dash and center front armrest. But I hate that I'd have to pay for lots of rear-seat upgrades that I don't want or need just to get it.

OP, it wasn't clear if you are talking about how soft the feel/touch/hand of the leather is, or how cushioned it is? I doubt there is much difference in cushioning between these S trims. BTW more cushioned isn't necessarily more comfortable, at least for some drivers on some drives.

Max3732 10-19-2017 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by syswei (Post 7290049)

3 grades of leather:
standard
nappa
semi-aniline

but 4 trim levels because nappa can be in 1 of 2 designs (regular or exclusive, with the diamond pattern on seats and dash)

not sure if semi-aniline is softer touch, but I think it is supposed to be more durable

Personally the semi-aniline Designo designs appeal to me because of the "tufted" or "3D" look on dash and center front armrest. But I hate that I'd have to pay for lots of rear-seat upgrades that I don't want or need just to get it.

OP, it wasn't clear if you are talking about how soft the feel/touch/hand of the leather is, or how cushioned it is? I doubt there is much difference in cushioning between these S trims. BTW more cushioned isn't necessarily more comfortable, at least for some drivers on some drives.

What I'm really looking for is a feeling that's the opposite of sitting on a hard bench, where it just feels soft and you feel relaxed like you could fall asleep in it. I'm looking to take the car cross country with 4 adults and want it to be as comfortable as possible. On some reviews of cars I've heard people complain about "hard leather" or praise "soft leather". I'm just basing it on going right from sitting in a 2003 Lexus LS430 to the 2018 S-class that I thought it would feel softer while driving. Would changing to comfort mode help with that? The Lexus doesn't have any suspension adjustments.

Manofsteelpt 10-19-2017 07:34 PM

I have the exclusive nappa and its soft AF... MUCH Better than my 13 S63 with the standard leather.

elrepho 10-19-2017 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by syswei (Post 7290049)

3 grades of leather:
standard
nappa
semi-aniline

All hides are 'split' in two layers. The top layer with the deepest grain is used for aniline and semi-aniline leathers. The bottom layer(s) are used for everything else. Aniline is the absolute top of the line and is also called Nappa leather. Semi-aniline is essentially the same leather but is treated to be more durable, resist fading in UV light, etc. Both are deep grained, high quality leathers. (BTW I had the same question in mind and asked a friend in the high end furniture business!)

Wolfman 10-19-2017 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Max3732 (Post 7290172)
What I'm really looking for is a feeling that's the opposite of sitting on a hard bench, where it just feels soft and you feel relaxed like you could fall asleep in it. I'm looking to take the car cross country with 4 adults and want it to be as comfortable as possible. On some reviews of cars I've heard people complain about "hard leather" or praise "soft leather". I'm just basing it on going right from sitting in a 2003 Lexus LS430 to the 2018 S-class that I thought it would feel softer while driving. Would changing to comfort mode help with that? The Lexus doesn't have any suspension adjustments.

I have to say it's a first to hear that someone thinks the S-Class isn't comfortable enough. That car is actually known for having the best seats for long distance driving. Definitely better than a Rolls for example which isn't actually a good long-distance car. The MB has active bolsters and can hold the person still firm in the seat which matters for the actual driving part; falling asleep is not really a desirable attribute unless autonomous driving is a bit further along ;) Neither are seats that are too soft; it's a bad thing for your back... The good seat is adjustable enough to just fit right.

The rear in the S-Class is rather average unless at least some of the rear seat packages are selected. The ultrasuede pillows are great and adjusting the backrest angle and the leg rest is awesome.

Jason B 10-20-2017 12:13 PM

Who here has had a w221 with standard leather and then a w222 with standard leather? The w221 leather is VERY soft and supple feeling, almost like flesh.... Maybe the w222 leather changed?

Streamliner 10-20-2017 03:42 PM

Well, before I had my first S Class, I had eight new Lexus LS sedans as my daily drivers. The first was a ‘93, the last a 2011, all with air suspension. My favorite was the ‘97. Anyway, my current 2015 S550 with Exclusive Nappa is, without a doubt, “THE” most comfortable car I have ever ridden in. My 2013 S550 with what I believe they called the “Premium Leather” option comes in a very close second. I switched from Lexus to MB when the designers in Japan lost their minds and decided that their cars had to look ridiculous and gave them all those horrid “spindle” grills. I highly recommend the Exclusive Nappa interior and the W222 for anyone who values supreme comfort, especially on longer trips.

Max3732 10-20-2017 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman (Post 7290762)
I have to say it's a first to hear that someone thinks the S-Class isn't comfortable enough. That car is actually known for having the best seats for long distance driving. Definitely better than a Rolls for example which isn't actually a good long-distance car. The MB has active bolsters and can hold the person still firm in the seat which matters for the actual driving part; falling asleep is not really a desirable attribute unless autonomous driving is a bit further along ;) Neither are seats that are too soft; it's a bad thing for your back... The good seat is adjustable enough to just fit right.

The rear in the S-Class is rather average unless at least some of the rear seat packages are selected. The ultrasuede pillows are great and adjusting the backrest angle and the leg rest is awesome.

Just thought I should mention I'm talking about the comfort of the back seats, which is one of the main attributes I'm looking at in deciding on a car. Obviously falling asleep in the drivers seat probably isn't the best idea :)

Agree that seats should be in the "just right" range of soft vs. hard, but the MB that I sat in (I don't know which leather it had) was downright firm. After posting my OP I've sat in the 7 series, Genesis G90, Rolls Royce Ghost (14), and Bently Flying Spur(14) and all of them had softer seats than the MB. I actually drove the Rolls Royce and found it to be extremely comfortable in the front and back, with plenty of power and enough technology that parking was manageable. It didn't feel like driving a huge boat the way I was expecting. Why don't you think it's good for a long distance trip?

I love everything about the MB except for the hardness of the seats. The way everything in the design flows, how it drives, all the safety features, technology, etc. I'm absolutely shocked I can't find a single S-class with upgraded leather or backseat packages near me so I would have to custom order it if it's something I want. That's why I'm really curious about how the leather changes the feel of the seats.

JY-MB 10-20-2017 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Max3732 (Post 7291422)
Just thought I should mention I'm talking about the comfort of the back seats, which is one of the main attributes I'm looking at in deciding on a car. Obviously falling asleep in the drivers seat probably isn't the best idea :)

Agree that seats should be in the "just right" range of soft vs. hard, but the MB that I sat in (I don't know which leather it had) was downright firm. After posting my OP I've sat in the 7 series, Genesis G90, Rolls Royce Ghost (14), and Bently Flying Spur(14) and all of them had softer seats than the MB. I actually drove the Rolls Royce and found it to be extremely comfortable in the front and back, with plenty of power and enough technology that parking was manageable. It didn't feel like driving a huge boat the way I was expecting. Why don't you think it's good for a long distance trip?

I love everything about the MB except for the hardness of the seats. The way everything in the design flows, how it drives, all the safety features, technology, etc. I'm absolutely shocked I can't find a single S-class with upgraded leather or backseat packages near me so I would have to custom order it if it's something I want. That's why I'm really curious about how the leather changes the feel of the seats.

the designo leather has about the same texture and feel as the exclusive leather. However the seats do seem to offer more give and softness in the cushion itself. That’s just my opinion. If your near cincy you can come check it out.

Wolfman 10-20-2017 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Max3732 (Post 7291422)

I didn't realize that you were speaking only about the rear seats. Yes, the basic S-Class rear is more of a simple bench but improved greatly with the rear seat packages and is the best with the executive rear seat plus package which will give you outstanding 4 seat comfort. You will find that the semi aniline leather option will give you the most "plush feeling" leather. The leather is similar to the exclusive nappa but with a more traditional padding/stitching patterns. Too old school for my taste but quite luxurious.

In regards to availability, there are lots of S-Class models that have all these rear-seat packages around, just not the S560. These new MY18 cars have just been released to dealers in the last 4 weeks or so and will not find any find any high-end options for the first dealer stock as most early allocations were customer orders not for stock and the stock cars were specific configurations. So check for MY17 or older S550's to try out the rear seats; nothing has changed there really. There are a slew of ruby red S560's with sport package and the mahogany interiors which appears to be the pseudo launch edition. Those will have exclusive nappa leather and at least the basic rear seat package. Make sure that the dealer has the ultrasuede pillows on the headrests as that changes the rear seat comfort to a significant extent. Unfortunately, MB has brought in too many S450's and not enough S560's...

Hope this helps!

To answer your question, the Ghost or the Phantom have terrible seats IMO. The Ghost is based on the BMW 7 Series and seems to share the old BMW F02 seat structure. Not bad, but not as good than the S-Class. Great upper back but not the side bolster support. Btw, lots of people play with the seats of the dealer cars and pump up the side bolsters/lower back. Make you reset all seat settings before adjusting them to your liking.

Wolfman 10-20-2017 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by JY-MB (Post 7291430)
the designo leather has about the same texture and feel as the exclusive leather. However the seats do seem to offer more give and softness in the cushion itself. That’s just my opinion. If your near cincy you can come check it out.

Yours is the semi-aniline leather which has the additional padding I was referring to.

Wolfman 10-20-2017 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jason B (Post 7291134)
Who here has had a w221 with standard leather and then a w222 with standard leather? The w221 leather is VERY soft and supple feeling, almost like flesh.... Maybe the w222 leather changed?

I think the OP looked at the S560 which doesn't come in the standard leather anymore like earlier models. They start with nappa leather. Nappa leather is softer than the standard W221 or W222 but the is upholstered a bit tighter...

Max3732 10-21-2017 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 7291333)
Well, before I had my first S Class, I had eight new Lexus LS sedans as my daily drivers. The first was a ‘93, the last a 2011, all with air suspension. My favorite was the ‘97. Anyway, my current 2015 S550 with Exclusive Nappa is, without a doubt, “THE” most comfortable car I have ever ridden in. My 2013 S550 with what I believe they called the “Premium Leather” option comes in a very close second. I switched from Lexus to MB when the designers in Japan lost their minds and decided that their cars had to look ridiculous and gave them all those horrid “spindle” grills. I highly recommend the Exclusive Nappa interior and the W222 for anyone who values supreme comfort, especially on longer trips.

My parents always used to buy Mercedes, but switched the Lexus when the first Lexus came out around 1990 and have been very happy with the cars every since. Agree 100% about Lexus losing their minds with the new "spindle grill" and obession with making all their cars sporty (although no stick shift available on their sports cars!). Now that their cars are well over a decade old they're looking at everything and the MB is high up on the list.

Max3732 10-21-2017 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman (Post 7291599)
I think the OP looked at the S560 which doesn't come in the standard leather anymore like earlier models. They start with nappa leather. Nappa leather is softer than the standard W221 or W222 but the is upholstered a bit tighter...

I'm assuming the Mayback has the upgraded leather and found it striking that Brian Cooley mentions specifically that the seats are hard whereas Lexus always has plush seats

Look at 3:44

Streamliner 10-21-2017 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Max3732 (Post 7292045)
My parents always used to buy Mercedes, but switched the Lexus when the first Lexus came out around 1990 and have been very happy with the cars every since. Agree 100% about Lexus losing their minds with the new "spindle grill" and obession with making all their cars sporty (although no stick shift available on their sports cars!). Now that their cars are well over a decade old they're looking at everything and the MB is high up on the list.

Even though I’m happy I made the switch to MB, I tell the folks at Lexus that “I didn’t leave Lexus, Lexus left me.” If their cars were still nicely designed, I’d probably still be driving them.

Wolfman 10-21-2017 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Max3732 (Post 7292047)
I'm assuming the Mayback has the upgraded leather and found it striking that Brian Cooley mentions specifically that the seats are hard whereas Lexus always has plush seats

https://youtu.be/zZ6y9Iu-59w?t=224

I don't give much credence to opinions made in youtube videos (well, except Chris Harris), but decide by trying this out. Try it; if you don't like it and it's that important to you, get something else.
Too plush is a negative to me, not a positive. Images of a 1981 Cadiallac Sedan Deville pop into my head :)

Max3732 10-21-2017 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman (Post 7292090)
I don't give much credence to opinions made in youtube videos (well, except Chris Harris), but decide by trying this out. Try it; if you don't like it and it's that important to you, get something else.
Too plush is a negative to me, not a positive. Images of a 1981 Cadiallac Sedan Deville pop into my head :)

I'm planning on finding one with the upgraded leather, but can't find any in my area. Sounds like it will be at least a month before any new inventory hits. Not a single car near me has any backseat upgrades, which is kind of strange. As I said I know I like everything else about the car and had built one online and was ready to find a dealer and have it built. All the reviews I've seen have said the car is extremely comfortable, but I can't get this doubt out of my head. I'm going to keep looking for used ones to see if I can find something so I can try it again.

JY-MB 10-21-2017 03:31 PM

Leather option

Originally Posted by Max3732 (Post 7292047)

https://youtu.be/zZ6y9Iu-59w?t=224

That’s the exclusive leather option. You still can go up a level with the designo option.