Taking a break from the S-Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Taking a break from the S-Class

Our lease was up on our 2015 S550 and I had been pondering, like others, what move to make. New S-Class (450 or 560) or switch it up for a different brand. After trying out the Tesla Model S (P100D), Porsche Panamera 4S, BMW 750 or Alpina B7, No Audi as the A8 is EOL, we ended up with another MB.

For the S-Class, the S560 was the only choice as I like the power of the engine and a well equipped interior, something that wasn't in any 450 models. But dealers had less than ideal models in stock (except lots of the somewhat undesirable (to me) Ruby Black/mahogany launch editions). Since MB is pushing the S450 with good rates and allocations while starving the S560 allocations and worse rates, it meant a February/March car at a higher price point for essentially the same car we are driving today.

Added to that annoyance came my wife's desire to have a smaller car. The SL fits her like a glove. So all said and done, we ended up with a 2018 E-Class

To me, the E-Class is somewhat a lesser S-Class that car clearly lacks the elegance of the exterior design and material quality of the S-class interior, especially with the exclusive Nappa, so the focus on this car was driving experience.

So here is Streamliner's nightmare, a 600 plus horsepower AMG
The car is actually extremely solid, much more than any regular E-Class and a even touch more than the S-Class. Aggressive, fast and extremely capable, it is supposed not to resemble a luxury cruiser.
I really am ready for an EV and the Porsche Mission E is shaping up nicely; this should be a fun car to bridge the time...

Old 11-30-2017, 01:17 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
Nice car...don't know if I'm feeling the stripes though...
Old 11-30-2017, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RJC
Nice car...don't know if I'm feeling the stripes though...
Agreed! Should have mentioned that those are coming off as soon as I have some time this weekend. I don't know what MB is thinking with these decals on Edition models..
Old 11-30-2017, 06:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
Congrats, Wolfman!

BTW I have read that if you don't use the special lotions that MB can sell you for the matte paint, eventually some areas of the car will become shinier while other parts stay more matte.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Unhappy

Originally Posted by syswei
Congrats, Wolfman!

BTW I have read that if you don't use the special lotions that MB can sell you for the matte paint, eventually some areas of the car will become shinier while other parts stay more matte.
All Magno (matte) paints are delicate. Carwashes are out unless maybe touchless. Handwash but no wax... This is what you get when you pay over $5000 extra just for the paint = extra work
Old 11-30-2017, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

To be sure, this is no S-Class replacement in terms of what the S-Class sedan and coupe stands for. It doesn't ooze smoothness or luxury and actually has a few visible "low-rent" bits despite it costing quite a bit more than the S-Class.
Even though these have Nappa interiors, including dash & door panels, there is still plenty of plastic visible (lower dash, door pockets, etc.) Even a fabric headliner.

That said, it feels like a nice change for a while. It is agile and nimble and feels like a tank. Well planted on the road more or less like a AMG GT, if anyone has driven one. Very different approach than a S63.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:15 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
SL 500
Are those center lock wheels? Did not know the E Class came with those. Did you choose them or did you have a choice?
Old 11-30-2017, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Those wheels come with a special plastic tool in the trunk to remove the center cap and then there are regular wheel locks under that cap, at least thats how mine is. Like Wolfman, I just got a E63 Amg too. Streamliners gonna feel very unsafe on the roads now when we come visit him in Cali. Really liking the car. I plan on keeping my S550 that I got by trading in my 2012 Amg Wagon last summer, loving that S550, most comfortable car I've ever driven, now I've got the best of both worlds, best luxury car and one of the best sports cars with the utility of a wagon. But ya Wolfman, I think the S560 sounds like a good choice eventually. I probably won't be in the market for another 5 years or so but when I am in the market then it will probably be a S Class. I think this AMG is my last sports car as I'll be that much older in 5 years or so.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes Benz
We specialize in Leasing, financing, trade-ins, and lease terminations!

we can deliver ANY MAKE AND ANY MODEL to anywhere in the U.S.

Feel free to give me a call or text and I will run the numbers for you to get you the best deal!
Old 11-30-2017, 08:26 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Originally Posted by Wolfman
All Magno (matte) paints are delicate. Carwashes are out unless maybe touchless. Handwash but no wax... This is what you get when you pay over $5000 extra just for the paint = extra work
If you're going to keep her, have it wrapped in Xpel stealth - will keep the matte look without worrying about shiny spots especially on body creases
Old 11-30-2017, 08:54 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jenz
If you're going to keep her, have it wrapped in Xpel stealth - will keep the matte look without worrying about shiny spots especially on body creases
This is a good idea for the OP...even slightly oily fingerprints can be an issue with this kind of paint finish. Only thing that concerns me about wrapping is when they cut the film on the car (is there another way?)...the blade always makes me nervous being so close potentially touching/cutting the car.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,414 Likes on 1,946 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Well, after being mentioned here twice, I guess I should say something. Congratulations, Wolf. It’s not my dream car and probably not yours, but I certainly do understand the idea of wanting a change and I hope you enjoy your new ride.

I sent Dietmar Exler an email, asking if I could special order a new S560 without the Pano Roof, since the car is now available that way in Germany. I told him I would be happy to pay a special order charge and wait as long as need be. As I knew, the answer arrived today and it was “NO.” Virtually anything I ever ask them for, the answer is always the same, NO!

Anyway, I have a new S560 on order, but I will probably not get it. I may do the exact opposite of what you did and I may go back to Lexus. Today, they sent me ordering info on the new LS. Lots of great interior and exterior colors and the frigging glass roof is OPTIONAL! I probably won’t be happy with the new LS, but I’m not happy with my current S550 and won’t be happy with a new S560, especially knowing that moon roof versions exist across the pond, but that we lowly Americans are not worthy. So, I may make a big change as well. Whatever, I will hope that all of this new competition for the S Class will bring them around to being more accommodating to their long time customers—but I’m not holding my breath!
Old 12-01-2017, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Well, after being mentioned here twice, I guess I should say something. Congratulations, Wolf. It’s not my dream car and probably not yours, but I certainly do understand the idea of wanting a change and I hope you enjoy your new ride.

I sent Dietmar Exler an email, asking if I could special order a new S560 without the Pano Roof, since the car is now available that way in Germany. I told him I would be happy to pay a special order charge and wait as long as need be. As I knew, the answer arrived today and it was “NO.” Virtually anything I ever ask them for, the answer is always the same, NO!

Anyway, I have a new S560 on order, but I will probably not get it. I may do the exact opposite of what you did and I may go back to Lexus. Today, they sent me ordering info on the new LS. Lots of great interior and exterior colors and the frigging glass roof is OPTIONAL! I probably won’t be happy with the new LS, but I’m not happy with my current S550 and won’t be happy with a new S560, especially knowing that moon roof versions exist across the pond, but that we lowly Americans are not worthy. So, I may make a big change as well. Whatever, I will hope that all of this new competition for the S Class will bring them around to being more accommodating to their long time customers—but I’m not holding my breath!
What is wrong with your 2015 S550? I really like mine and it's gonna be a 4 or 5 year long term keeper for me.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:13 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Streamliner: Why won't you be happy with the new 560...just because of the pano? Did you truly expect MB to make a special pano-less US version just for you? I'd imagine the car would probably have to be re-certified for the US due to the different roof design and they'd never do this for a customer no matter how many MB's they've bought/buy....

FYI:Nov 2, 2017 - Our model was fitted with an air suspension, which did a commendable job of keeping the LS' body steady even on a series of bumps, but on its 20-inch run-flat summer tires, the ride comfort was not as plush as one has come to expect from a Lexus LS.

Last edited by RJC; 12-01-2017 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

Stream, all in good humor of course

If Mercedes would have rolled out the facelift models with a better model selection and dealer allocations, we would have already been in a S560. I don't share your dislike in panorama roofs or missing spares but fully agree that more options in higher-end cars are much better than less. Their interior color choices are definitely worse than before. MB is having some strange taste selections these days!
But my experience with our S550 has been nothing but rewarding. It is a beautiful car. I was driving the SL last week while my wife drove the S-Class next to me and I kept on thinking of how elegant this car is. This is how I felt with the old R230 SL 15 years ago. Pretty all the way around. That's how our S-Class build sheet ended up identical apart from having the porcelain white/black as compared to the crystal/seashell gray. I honestly couldn't imagine driving next to that Lexus and feeling the same way.

Speaking of the old SL (2003 SL55), I was cursing Mercedes at the time as well given that their expensive AMG models came with virtually no color options, interior or exterior. Even that steering wheel was black, no matter what color interior was chosen.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jenz
Unlike the coasts, it appears that we may not have great wrap shops around here. A couple calls yielded all the wrong answers. More for less was the theme here. I will check around a bit more. In the meantime a shop that works extensively with exotics will hand wash the car properly...
My priority at the moment is to get snow tires for the car. I come to realize that the car can't be easily fitted with all seasons or snow tires due to the (actual lack of) tire options. Even the tire rack guys were clueless. I think I know which way to go though...
Old 12-01-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
Wolfman, congrats on a beautiful car, I'm sure its an absolute monster on the road

I am curious about the ride quality in "comfort" mode, how stiff and uncomfortable is it on the bumps?
Old 12-01-2017, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
What is wrong with your 2015 S550? I really like mine and it's gonna be a 4 or 5 year long term keeper for me.
ONLY because you asked and my apologies to those who have heard this too many times: I hate the Pano Roof and truly detest the fact that it’s not optional, as it always was with the S, prior to the W222. It creaks, squeaks and tremendously alters the appearance of lighter colored cars. For MY18, in Germany, they are now offering a regular moon roof on the W222, which I would much prefer, but, of course, we are not allowed that option here in the U.S.

I hate that the car does not come with a jack & spare and truly detest the fact that MB went out of their way to make sure that they did not even leave a place to put one, should an owner opt to provide tbeir own. This is “Big Brother” crap, with MB forcing us to use their ridiculous run flat tires and driving without a spare, which may be OK in metro areas, but can be quite perilous in many areas of a country the size of the U.S.

Whomever is in charge of the color palette for MB needs to be fired. Just because the skies are so often dark, gray and threatening over Germany, doesn’t mean that the sun isn’t shining in many other parts of the world. I call it 50 shades of gray—or black. And the interiors! Geeze! I order black, which I’m really not fond of, just because there is nothing else I care for that isn’t ridiculously light colored.

Regarding my 2015 S550, why it and every other pre 2018 did not come with the Rear Cross Traffic Alert is insane. Lowly GM has had this feature for over five years. In addition, all the tech was right there in the 222 since 2014, but MB made us wait until 2018 for it.

Other than those items, you’re right, my 2015 is a very nice car, but knowing how simple it would be for MB to address these issues, really is disheartening.
Oh well.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RJC
Streamliner: Why won't you be happy with the new 560...just because of the pano? Did you truly expect MB to make a special pano-less US version just for you? I'd imagine the car would probably have to be re-certified for the US due to the different roof design and they'd never do this for a customer no matter how many MB's they've bought/buy....

FYI:Nov 2, 2017 - Our model was fitted with an air suspension, which did a commendable job of keeping the LS' body steady even on a series of bumps, but on its 20-inch run-flat summer tires, the ride comfort was not as plush as one has come to expect from a Lexus LS.
You know, different things affect different folks, well........differently! I know something about certifying cars for entry into the U.S. and I don’t think there would have been much of anything needed to bring in a moon roof S560 as a special order, they just won’t do it. I will say that I feel somewhat vindicated that MB made the change in Germany. Prior to MY18, the long wheelbase 222 was only available with the Pano Roof, even in Germany. However, there must have been enough complaints from customers, so a regular moon roof option is now available there. There MUST have been other unhappy customers, I’m sure they didn’t do it just because of me!

As for the Lexus not riding great on 20’s, surprise, surprise, SURPRISE! If I get one, I’ll figure out a way to get smaller wheels. The 222 with 18’s & conventional tires rides DAY & NIGHT better than the same car riding on 20’s with run flats, so why wouldn’t the new LS?

Anyway, this has a lot to do with just making a change. If I just keep rewarding MB with my business, even though they make what I feel are ridiculous marketing decisions, then I’ve got no one to blame but myself.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Steinhart
Wolfman, congrats on a beautiful car, I'm sure its an absolute monster on the road

I am curious about the ride quality in "comfort" mode, how stiff and uncomfortable is it on the bumps?
The car indeed is ridiculously fast but I am surprised just how well it is planted through curves and corners. It is a rock solid car

In terms of ride comfort, there are two answers to your question since MB offers these with regular AMG seats or Performance seats (which are basically bucket seats).

I have driven both and the regular seats are definitely more comfy and the car is very compliant in Comfort. But bad roads will be more apparent and not swallowed like in the S-Class. A decent ride for non-AMG drivers.
It also offers the creature comforts like massage functions and dynamic side boulders. These would have been my choice.

Our car has the performance (bucket) seats which more or less mirror the AMG GT seats plus a couple more adjustments. Less plush, harder to get into but once seated hold you beautifully in position. Even in Comfort mode, the ride feels firm but not bothersome as the seat itself offers a very good fit.
I would compare the Comfort mode in the E63 to the Sport Plus mode of the S63
Old 12-01-2017, 01:28 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
The car indeed is ridiculously fast but I am surprised just how well it is planted through curves and corners. It is a rock solid car

In terms of ride comfort, there are two answers to your question since MB offers these with regular AMG seats or Performance seats (which are basically bucket seats).

I have driven both and the regular seats are definitely more comfy and the car is very compliant in Comfort. But bad roads will be more apparent and not swallowed like in the S-Class. A decent ride for non-AMG drivers.
It also offers the creature comforts like massage functions and dynamic side boulders. These would have been my choice.

Our car has the performance (bucket) seats which more or less mirror the AMG GT seats plus a couple more adjustments. Less plush, harder to get into but once seated hold you beautifully in position. Even in Comfort mode, the ride feels firm but not bothersome as the seat itself offers a very good fit.
I would compare the Comfort mode in the E63 to the Sport Plus mode of the S63
as usual Wolfman, thanks for the great information you provide
Old 12-01-2017, 01:36 PM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550

I sent Dietmar Exler an email, asking if I could special order a new S560 without the Pano Roof, since the car is now available that way in Ger}many. I told him I would be happy to pay a special order charge and wait as long as need be. As I knew, the answer arrived today and it was “NO.” Virtually anything I ever ask them for, the answer is always the same, NO!

It has to be said...the front end of that Lexus is HIDEOUS!
Old 12-01-2017, 01:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
So all said and done, we ended up with a 2018 E-Class
What I can, outstanding! Best of luck.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Socalsteve
It has to be said...the front end of that Lexus is HIDEOUS!
I agree!
Old 12-01-2017, 02:06 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

You know, different things affect different folks, well........differently! I know something about certifying cars for entry into the U.S. and I don’t think there would have been much of anything needed to bring in a moon roof S560 as a special order, they just won’t do it. I will say that I feel somewhat vindicated that MB made the change in Germany. Prior to MY18, the long wheelbase 222 was only available with the Pano Roof, even in Germany. However, there must have been enough complaints from customers, so a regular moon roof option is now available there. There MUST have been other unhappy customers, I’m sure they didn’t do it just because of me!

As for the Lexus not riding great on 20’s, surprise, surprise, SURPRISE! If I get one, I’ll figure out a way to get smaller wheels. The 222 with 18’s & conventional tires rides DAY & NIGHT better than the same car riding on 20’s with run flats, so why wouldn’t the new LS?

Anyway, this has a lot to do with just making a change. If I just keep rewarding MB with my business, even though they make what I feel are ridiculous marketing decisions, then I’ve got no one to blame but myself.
The type of roof structure affects rollover/safety ratings so it could very well require additional US certification since the moon roof version is not currently sold here. Were you aware the new LS came with ROF's or did I help to enlighten you?
Lexus makes good cars and I'm sure you'll be happy, but the LS' have never been as solid (for lack of a better word) as the mighty S class'. I will add in my personal experience Lexus does not stand behind their product as well as MB has.
Best of luck whichever direction you go.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Taking a break from the S-Class