S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Genesis G90 Redux

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Genesis G90 Redux

The nice folks at Genesis dropped off a brand new (150 Miles) Santiago Silver G90 5.0 Ultimate at my home this morning and I have been driving it around all day. Drove it from my home in Orange County up to L.A. for lunch with a friend. My friend asked me how I liked it compared to my S550 and I told him “it’s 95%, compared to my MB.”

When I think about the fact that this car is new to the market, and that the boys from Korea have not even had a full model year to make adjustments and tweaks to the car, I am truly blown away at how good it is.

Today, I drove over many speed bumps. My 222 with MBC makes the bumps almost disappear, WHEN it works, which is about a third of the time. I am starting to believe that the white “arrowhead” marks they paint on them around here somehow foul the MBC cameras. Anyway, the G90 is day and night BETTER over the speed bumps than my 222, when MBC doesn’t kick in.

Stop & Go Cruise Control is still not quite as smooth as Distronic, but way better than the Lincoln Continental I Test drove. Car & Driver didn’t like the number of buttons on the dash and I’ll admit that there appear to be too many, but IMO, there are too FEW on the 222. I just love that there is an “OFF” button on the G90 for the HVAC system. The Lexicon 17 speaker sound system is superior to my standard system in the 222. It even has dual 10.3” HD rear seat entertainment monitors.

Of course, I like the moon roof, cavernous trunk with a jack & spare underneath and the beautiful, 19” wheels with conventional tires. It has a 5 year/60K warranty with 10 year/10K on the powertrain.

Driving home on the 405, I rested my head on the headrest, but noticed that the angle was not as comfortable as in my 222. Feeling for the headrest height control, thinking that going up or down might make it better, I found a control that TILTS the headrest fore or aft. AMAZING! All this for only $72,825.00!

Tomorrow, my wife and I will put another 100 miles on it and see if I can’t nitpick it a bit more. They are picking the car up Monday morning.

Last edited by Streamliner; 12-02-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Good write-up!

I would likely have a few more things to nitpick but personally find the car to be much better looking than the Lincoln or the Lexus for that matter.
But I can see that this car covers two of your major gripes, moonroof and full size spare. Not bad
Old 12-02-2017, 11:11 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
When I posted pics/info of this car months ago when it first arrived, there were not many kudos given here...glad to see there's a bit more objectivity now...while its certainly no S class they did indeed do a nice job.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
A bit of refinement, along with a more sophisticated suspension, massage seats, a wooden steering wheel and more interior color choices, and we would have a home run. I’m sure those things will come, but as the car sits, it’s hard to imagine they are making any money when they sell one. Like the original Lexus LS400, IMO, this car is a bonafide bargain in today’s market. That said, it doesn’t have that little star sitting on top of the hood—nor the lineage that goes with it.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RJC
When I posted pics/info of this car months ago when it first arrived, there were not many kudos given here...glad to see there's a bit more objectivity now...while its certainly no S class they did indeed do a nice job.
My opinion certainly hasn’t changed since your post.
It’s a good effort, but the car is still less for less...

This is no S-Class
Old 12-03-2017, 12:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CL55AMG
nice review, car looks very nice.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
It's closer to a Buick in character than it is a Mercedes.

M
Old 12-03-2017, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 940 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
To me the side view / interior really lack the elegance of the W222.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:15 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
My opinion certainly hasn’t changed since your post.
It’s a good effort, but the car is still less for less...

This is no S-Class
It's not supposed to be a direct S class competitor, but it's very interesting to see someone here (who actually owns an S class) would consider one enough for an extended test drive , and was actually impressed with certain aspects of the car.

When I spotted one months ago it was from the rear 3/4 view and I thought it was a new Bentley but knew something was different...the car had a commanding presence from that view on the road.

It would also be interesting to see what they could do for an S Class like msrp of $120,000 vs $75,000...maybe MB better hope they don't try it lol.

Last edited by RJC; 12-03-2017 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RJC
It's not supposed to be a direct S class competitor, but it's very interesting to see someone here (who actually owns an S class) would consider one enough for an extended test drive , and was actually impressed with certain aspects of the car.

When I spotted one months ago it was from the rear 3/4 view and I thought it was a new Bentley but knew something was different...the car had a commanding presence from that view on the road.

It would also be interesting to see what they could do for an S Class like msrp of $120,000 vs $75,000...maybe MB better hope they don't try it lol.
I appreciate forum members like LovinMercedes and Streamliner's reviews and hear their insights. They were looking at these as an S-Class replacement. To me a Lincoln, Genesis, Lexus or Cadillac would simply not be an option, so it's nice to hear what they like or not.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
Originally Posted by Streamliner
My 222 with MBC makes the bumps almost disappear, WHEN it works, which is about a third of the time.
I don't have MBC and didn't realize it was unreliable. Maybe the new Audi 2019 A8 optional suspension will be more reliable? It looks impressively capable in this marketing video:
Old 12-03-2017, 07:50 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Be careful with Audi...from my personal experience and from what many others on the Audi forms echo, due to VAG multibillion $$$$ settlement they are cutting back on everything and customers are feeling it with certain warranty claims.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, I spent another day driving the G90 in the neighborhood, on the freeway, etc., putting about another 100 miles on it. Here are some likes & dislikes:

LIKE:
More buttons & switches, meaning less need to use command.
Command appears to be more simple to use.
Engine sound is virtually nonexistent.
Transmission shifts are virtually unnoticeable.
Traditional moon roof.
Very large trunk.
Jack, spare & tool kit concealed under trunk floor, with plenty of extra room to pack additional tools, supplies, etc. I believe, but do not know for sure, that one of the full size wheels could fit in the well, in case a flat occurred and the spare needed to be used.
Attractive, 19” alloy wheels with conventional tires.
Amazingly smooth ride.
Rock solid feel on the road.
This is a BIG, full size luxury sedan. Early comparisons to the E Class are WAY off the mark. This is an S Class competitor.
Very quiet cabin, with little wind or road noise.
Very comfortable seats, with 22 way driver & 16 way passenger adjustments.
Lift out tray in center armrest storage.
Large glove box.
Full set of printed owner’s guide/instruction manuals.
Exquisite fit and finish, with quality materials. No hint that this is a Hyundai.
Excellent sound system.
Wireless IPhone charging.
Ability to split 12.3” HD screen into three sections. You can do two maps, with one zoomed way in and the other way out, or anywhere in between.
Leather wrapped dash.
Nappa leather seating surfaces and real wood trim.
What appears to be a larger rear cabin than in my W222.
Very little brake dust after 200 miles of driving.
Their version of the Driver’s Assistance Pkg. is standard equipment.
There is NO annoying ECO Engine shut off feature.
Electronic parking brake release is unnoticeable, unlike in my W222.
Pleasant warning/reminder chimes/tones.
Tasteful, traditional, conservative designs/colors/materials.
Great warranty.
3 years of service included in MSRP, including valet pick-up and a G90 loaner. MB: Are you listening???
$72,825.00 MSRP.
Like the original Lexus LS400, it serves notice that there is a new, very serious player in the luxury sedan market. This can only make MB better.
The fact that Genesis would give me a brand new car for a two day test drive, with no mileage restrictions. Even after buying or leasing 12 high end MB cars, I doubt I could get a new S Class for a 12 hour test drive, let alone 48 hours.

DISLIKE:
No autonomous driving assistance.
Gear shift lever on center console.
No wood/leather steering wheel.
Only two interior color choices, and some exterior colors only offer one interior color choice.
No massage seats.
No air or ABC/MBC type suspensions available.
No wheel options, specifically an 18” wheel option.
Seats, headrests & other leather surfaces are not as soft as my Exclusive Nappa in my 2015.
Heated & Ventillated seats, but no “Warmth & Comfort Pkg” type heating.
Probably too many buttons on dash, but I believe better too many than too few.
Near verticle front grill, giving the car an odd profile.
Probably—but I don’t know for sure—not nearly the “hidden” safety features of the W222, such as the quick reclining passenger seat in case the car senses an imminent collision, as we recently heard from a member who experienced such an event.
Annoying turn signal sound.
The complete lack of cachet.
No proven safety record.
No dedicated Genesis dealerships yet—several are currently under construction.
No 3-Pointed Star on top of the hood.

Last edited by Streamliner; 12-03-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:28 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

The likes significantly outweigh the dislikes...v/impressive.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Streamliner
Well, I spent another day driving the G90 in the neighborhood, on the freeway, etc., putting about another 100 miles on it. Here are some likes & dislikes:

LIKE:
More buttons & switches, meaning less need to use command.
Command appears to be more simple to use.
Engine sound is virtually nonexistent.
Transmission shifts are virtually unnoticeable.
Traditional moon roof.
Very large trunk.
Jack, spare & tool kit concealed under trunk floor, with plenty of extra room to pack additional tools, supplies, etc. I believe, but do not know for sure, that one of the full size wheels could fit in the well, in case a flat occurred and the spare needed to be used.
Attractive, 19” alloy wheels with conventional tires.
Amazingly smooth ride.
Rock solid feel on the road.
This is a BIG, full size luxury sedan. Early comparisons to the E Class are WAY off the mark. This is an S Class competitor.
Very quiet cabin, with little wind or road noise.
Very comfortable seats, with 22 way driver & 16 way passenger adjustments.
Lift out tray in center armrest storage.
Large glove box.
Full set of printed owner’s guide/instruction manuals.
Exquisite fit and finish, with quality materials. No hint that this is a Hyundai.
Excellent sound system.
Wireless IPhone charging.
Ability to split 12.3” HD screen into three sections. You can do two maps, with one zoomed way in and the other way out, or anywhere in between.
Leather wrapped dash.
Nappa leather seating surfaces and real wood trim.
What appears to be a larger rear cabin than in my W222.
Very little brake dust after 200 miles of driving.
Their version of the Driver’s Assistance Pkg. is standard equipment.
There is NO annoying ECO Engine shut off feature.
Electronic parking brake release is unnoticeable, unlike in my W222.
Pleasant warning/reminder chimes/tones.
Tasteful, traditional, conservative designs/colors/materials.
Great warranty.
3 years of service included in MSRP, including valet pick-up and a G90 loaner. MB: Are you listening???
$72,825.00 MSRP.
Like the original Lexus LS400, it serves notice that there is a new, very serious player in the luxury sedan market. This can only make MB better.
The fact that Genesis would give me a brand new car for a two day test drive, with no mileage restrictions. Even after buying or leasing 12 high end MB cars, I doubt I could get a new S Class for a 12 hour test drive, let alone 48 hours.

DISLIKE:
No autonomous driving assistance.
Gear shift lever on center console.
No wood/leather steering wheel.
Only two interior color choices, and some exterior colors only offer one interior color choice.
No massage seats.
No air or ABC/MBC type suspensions available.
No wheel options, specifically an 18” wheel option.
Seats, headrests & other leather surfaces are not as soft as my Exclusive Nappa in my 2015.
Heated & Ventillated seats, but no “Warmth & Comfort Pkg” type heating.
Probably too many buttons on dash, but I believe better too many than too few.
Near verticle front grill, giving the car an odd profile.
Probably—but I don’t know for sure—not nearly the “hidden” safety features of the W222, such as the quick reclining passenger seat in case the car senses an imminent collision, as we recently heard from a member who experienced such an event.
Annoying turn signal sound.
The complete lack of cachet.
No proven safety record.
No dedicated Genesis dealerships yet—several are currently under construction.
No 3-Pointed Star on top of the hood.
I am really glad you like the car.
I personally don't find the Lexus comparison relevant as it doesn't fit. At the time the Lexus was as good, if not better (sound dampening, etc.) than the Mercedes equivalent. Mercedes was caught off guard.
This is simply not the case with the Genesis and the S-Class. The car is inferior to the S-Class in every way. It's just cheaper.

Some things that you like better than the S-Class are a good fit for you, but does not make it a better product. In some ways it's a cheaper way of manufacturing.
Valet service and G90 loaner has to be expected. They have no brand in the luxury market and need to prove themselves. This is a requirement for making a sale and developing resale value. At this point they are selling about 300-400 cars a month in the US and staying steady.

Personally I feel they have stood up a good car. Not S-Class level nor a S-Class competitor. IMO, it is for people that would go for an E-Class or A6 and want to move to a larger car. It'll be a strong option in Asia. I feel the Cadillac CT6 has more innovation yet it's not moving the dial...

Buyers in this segment are very finicky

Last edited by Wolfman; 12-04-2017 at 01:06 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:14 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

The LS is and has been positioned a direct S class competitor (and did one hell of a job taking customers away from the german brands) starting in CY 1989, but I find they have no soul. Perhaps the F Sport version of the new 2018 might. I do like the new interior (right up there with the S). Also nice to see the shifter on the console, vs the flimsy plastic column mounted one we get. I have to see one of these in person to comment on the exterior styling. As I've stated before, in my personal experience Lexus does not stand behind their product as well as one might think when push comes to shove. MB has been very good to me and never with the need for push or shove.

https://www.lexus.com/models/2018LS/gallery

Last edited by RJC; 12-04-2017 at 02:07 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am really glad you like the car.
I personally don't find the Lexus comparison relevant as it doesn't fit. At the time the Lexus was as good, if not better (sound dampening, etc.) than the Mercedes equivalent. Mercedes was caught off guard.
This is simply not the case with the Genesis and the S-Class. The car is inferior to the S-Class in every way. It's just cheaper.

Some things that you like better than the S-Class are a good fit for you, but does not make it a better product. In some ways it's a cheaper way of manufacturing.
Valet service and G90 loaner has to be expected. They have no brand in the luxury market and need to prove themselves. This is a requirement for making a sale and developing resale value. At this point they are selling about 300-400 cars a month in the US and staying steady.

Personally I feel they have stood up a good car. Not S-Class level nor a S-Class competitor. IMO, it is for people that would go for an E-Class or A6 and want to move to a larger car. It'll be a strong option in Asia. I feel the Cadillac CT6 has more innovation yet it's not moving the dial...

Buyers in this segment are very finicky
I agree, brilliantly stated. I haven't read anything superior to the S-Class. From the reviewer's points a Lincoln Continental would do just fine also.

M
Old 12-04-2017, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 473 Likes on 327 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
I'm picking up a new G90 this Saturday (pearl white). Really disappointed in the MBS 63 AMG. Tons of squeaks and rattles in the MB whereas the Hyundai is quiet as a kitten fart. Sorry , but for $70,000 , the Hyundai blows away the MB in every aspect.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 430 Posts
W212 FL
I'm biased over Asian cars but this one is cool
I would never bother those but for owners I really wish they serve you well and cover good drivings with them
Old 12-05-2017, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
I'm picking up a new G90 this Saturday (pearl white). Really disappointed in the MBS 63 AMG. Tons of squeaks and rattles in the MB whereas the Hyundai is quiet as a kitten fart. Sorry , but for $70,000 , the Hyundai blows away the MB in every aspect.
Well, my experience with my 2015 S550 has been quite different than your MB experience. For the most part, my car has been problem free and the few times their have been issues, they have been attended to by the dealer, quickly and completely, with the exception of my complaints about the creaking Panorama Roof.

I have not gone for the G90 and probably won’t. For me, it came down to these issues, in this order:

1. I believe the W222 is a safer car, with passive and active systems in place that most of us don’t even know about. When I thought about which car I would prefer to be in, in a severe accident, there was no choice, it was the MB hands down.

2. The ride quality of my S550 is superior. Not by that much over the G90 mind you, which was truly amazing to me, but still better enough to make a difference to this hyper critical ride quality driver.

3. Being brutally honest here, I will admit that the cachet of the MB over the Genesis is a big deal. Where I live, a new S Class is almost the bottom rung for a prominent valet spot at restaurants here. If I pull up at Pelican Hill in a Genesis, well, I’d feel like a tourist. So there it is: I’m a shallow person, what can I say?

4. For me, the dealer service experience with MB has been wonderful for the last several years, while the Genesis experience is an unknown at this time.

The G90 is SOOOOOOO frigging good and so cheap, that once the car gets more exposure, I just can’t believe that it will not be a huge success. If someone wants a big, solid, tech loaded, luxury sedan—especially if price is a factor, I can’t imagine a better choice. No, it’s not an S Class, and if it were a $100K+ car, that comment would have merit. But, for $70K, there is nothing on the planet that even comes close. This car is nothing like any Buick and with my apologies to Wolfman, IMHO, it is, indeed, an S Class competitor.

Enjoy your new car and PLEASE come back here and tell us about your experience once you have had it for awhile.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like the S63 wasn't a good fit. Hope you are coming out of the car ok. Enjoy!
Old 12-05-2017, 05:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
what an ugly car. Rather drive a brand new accord.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 473 Likes on 327 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Looks like the S63 wasn't a good fit. Hope you are coming out of the car ok. Enjoy!
Hold on guys. Let me clarify. I'm not selling/trading off the MBS63, I'm buying the Genesis in addition to the Benz. But I will let my wife drive the Benz while I drive the Genesis on my usual weekly routes. Yes. I am overdue for posting pics, which I will get to asap.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:39 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

With respect to safety, I'm not sure MB even provides S class' for IIHS or NHTSA safety testing...here's the latest results for large luxury cars from the IIHS:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/v/c...ge-luxury-cars
Old 12-06-2017, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah right. So the G90 blows away the S63 in every respect? So the Korean car is faster, safer, handles better, is more technically advanced? Or do those areas not count? The G90 is better built, more comfortable, quieter?

M

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Genesis G90 Redux