Got $10 million lying around?
http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/12/...n-arizona.html
Old 12-22-2017, 11:02 PM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Are you serious?

Too soon! Seriously!!!

Nothing EVER with Hitlers name attached to it should be sold. Should be burned!!!
Old 12-22-2017, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,392 Likes on 1,934 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Originally Posted by Socalsteve

Are you serious?

Too soon! Seriously!!!

Nothing EVER with Hitlers name attached to it should be sold. Should be burned!!!
I won’t belittle your passion, but this car is an inanimate object. It did not and could not harm anyone. It is an historical artifact and an amazing one. The lure I have towards it, as fantasy like as it may be, has nothing to do with anyone who ever rode in it. It’s an amazing vehicle and I’d love to own it. If I ever got the chance, it would never bear red flags, but I might paint the car red. I wouldn’t mind owning a Mitsubishi Zero or a Lockheed P38 Lightning either. I didn’t mean any disrespect and apologize if I offended you or anyone else.
Merry Christmas
The following users liked this post:
SoCal208 (12-23-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 11:57 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

I won’t belittle your passion, but this car is an inanimate object. It did not and could not harm anyone. It is an historical artifact and an amazing one. The lure I have towards it, as fantasy like as it may be, has nothing to do with anyone who ever rode in it. It’s an amazing vehicle and I’d love to own it. If I ever got the chance, it would never bear red flags, but I might paint the car red. I wouldn’t mind owning a Mitsubishi Zero or a Lockheed P38 Lightning either. I didn’t mean any disrespect and apologize if I offended you or anyone else.
Merry Christmas
+1
Old 12-23-2017, 09:32 AM

2015 MBZ S 550

Merry Christmas
Thank you for the thoughtful and respectful response. But I guess you never lost family to the gas chambers in WWII **** Germany. I have.

Yes, it’s an inanimate object, so is a countries flag, a bible, or irreplaceable family photos. But, because of what they represent, they take on a much greater meaning than just an object. Same as the car. In my mind, the only way to make this right would be to donate all the proceeds to a museum-charity-families of loved ones lost. Not to profit from it. And yes, there will be huge profit made off this sale.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:08 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Hmm. Wonder how long he owned it, drove it, rode in it. How many others are there like it? Maybe it belongs in a museum.....in Germany.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,392 Likes on 1,934 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon

Thank you for the thoughtful and respectful response. But I guess you never lost family to the gas chambers in WWII **** Germany. I have.

Yes, it’s an inanimate object, so is a countries flag, a bible, or irreplaceable family photos. But, because of what they represent, they take on a much greater meaning than just an object. Same as the car. In my mind, the only way to make this right would be to donate all the proceeds to a museum-charity-families of loved ones lost. Not to profit from it. And yes, there will be huge profit made off this sale.

Please believe me when I tell you that I do understand your feelings about the horrors of WWII and certainly share them. My father was in the Pacific Theatre. Still, the car in question, has passed through several owners since the war and each time it changed hands, I would imagine a profit was made. How do you reconcile the profits from all those sales? Also, if you read the link I posted, all the way to the end, the current seller is committing 10% of the proceeds to a Holocaust education charity, which is probably a smart marketing ploy, rather than a heart felt desire, but it’s there nonetheless. Is that a good thing, or would it still be better if the car were burned?

My father saw some of the atrocities in Japan and did not approve when I started driving Japanese cars. But the War had been over for 30 years already, and I suggested that maybe it was time we moved on, and he reluctantly agreed. If we don’t move on—and I know that many, maybe millions from our generation have not and will not—how in the world can we drive, own and praise cars built by a company that was heavily involved in producing materials for the War? The answer is because we have all moved on. We have not forgotten, but we have reconciled things and realize that we live in a different time. The car in question is nothing more than something old, from a different time, when the world was a different place, at least that’s the way I see it.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:34 PM

2015 MBZ S 550

Please believe me when I tell you that I do understand your feelings about the horrors of WWII and certainly share them. My father was in the Pacific Theatre. Still, the car in question, has passed through several owners since the war and each time it changed hands, I would imagine a profit was made. How do you reconcile the profits from all those sales? Also, if you read the link I posted, all the way to the end, the current seller is committing 10% of the proceeds to a Holocaust education charity, which is probably a smart marketing ploy, rather than a heart felt desire, but it’s there nonetheless. Is that a good thing, or would it still be better if the car were burned?

My father saw some of the atrocities in Japan and did not approve when I started driving Japanese cars. But the War had been over for 30 years already, and I suggested that maybe it was time we moved on, and he reluctantly agreed. If we don’t move on—and I know that many, maybe millions from our generation have not and will not—how in the world can we drive, own and praise cars built by a company that was heavily involved in producing materials for the War? The answer is because we have all moved on. We have not forgotten, but we have reconciled things and realize that we live in a different time. The car in question is nothing more than something old, from a different time, when the world was a different place, at least that’s the way I see it.

Like you, I too have moved on ( mostly ) and truly believe in global economics. I also have traveled extensively and have met many German people, both young and old. I can unequivocally say that they all believe **** Germany was an atrocity and want to forgive and forget and move on.

Not 100% sure why this auction at this time has gotten in my craw. Maybe because of the way it is marketed. If Hitlers name was not attached to the vehicle, it would not fetch the big bucks it will more than likely fetch. It would just be an old, rare restored Mercedes. That would be cool. That it’s marketed differently is not.

Again, one mans opinion. Oh, full disclosure, I have owned many German vehicles in my 40 something history of driving.

Again, thank you for keeping this respectful, sincere and personal.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-23-2017, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 285 Posts
EQ
I have to agree with Stream. This car, from a car perspective, is quite amazing, Mind you, I am Polish and my wife is Jewish. It's a cool car.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Interesting car.

Last edited by absent; 12-24-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)

Are you serious?

Too soon! Seriously!!!

I'm Polish and my family lost a total of 18 members between Treblinka, Katyn ( my Great GrandFather who was a Major in Polish Army and was murdered there by the Soviets) and the rest killed during Warsaw Uprising or executed when it fell.
I disagree with you, car is a legitimate collector piece with very significant and interesting history, regardless of how despicable it's user was.
Why stop with Hitler?
Following your logic we would have to burn every building, car, art, etc, ever owned by this or any other murderous dictator in the World.
Plainly idiotic idea.....
Old 12-24-2017, 10:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
oh my, this makes me want to sell my Mercedes, disgusting!
Old 12-24-2017, 10:41 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by absent
I'm Polish and my family lost a total of 18 members between Treblinka, Katyn ( my Great GrandFather who was a Major in Polish Army and was murdered there by the Soviets) and the rest killed during Warsaw Uprising or executed when it fell.
I disagree with you, car is a legitimate collector piece with very significant and interesting history, regardless of how despicable it's user was.
Why stop with Hitler?
Following your logic we would have to burn every building, car, art, etc, ever owned by this or any other murderous dictator in the World.
Plainly idiotic idea.....
If you had read the complete thread, you would see that my gripe is with the way the car is being marketed, not the car itself. The car seems amazing, but it will bring much more money when Hitlers name is attached to it. Is this right?
Old 12-25-2017, 08:20 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Right, but did HE drive it? Or was he driven? Wonder if Trump will buy it.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:22 PM

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts
Volvo XC90
F*** Hitler! Never Forget!
Old 12-25-2017, 10:00 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by hyperion667
Right, but did HE drive it? Or was he driven? Wonder if Trump will buy it.
LOL (all political stuff aside).