Received 913 Likes on 601 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Diamond Rated Customer......LOL
Old 02-26-2018, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 473 Likes on 327 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by HSCLA
Have an appointment w/ the MB regional engineer at the dealership tomorrow. I'll also be driving another 560. My strong preference is to have MB fix this car...this car is what I spec'd out and ordered. If they can't fix it and / or tell me "car is within specifications" or "Can't verify customer complaint", etc...guess I'll find out what being an MB "Diamond Rated Customer" actually means...
If in any way you can wiggle your way out of the problematic car that you have ( and yes, I believe you do have a problem as my car has more squeaks, rattles, buzzing interior parts than any car I've ever owned), then I would definitely do what you can to get that Maybach.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:07 PM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
If in any way you can wiggle your way out of the problematic car that you have ( and yes, I believe you do have a problem as my car has more squeaks, rattles, buzzing interior parts than any car I've ever owned), then I would definitely do what you can to get that Maybach.
Im sure being a “ Diamond Rated Customer “ will surely help him get into that Maybach. Oh, btw..,what exactly is a Diamond Rated Custoner? Can’t find it anywhere on the inter webs....
Old 02-27-2018, 11:52 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
S65, SL65
Originally Posted by Socalsteve

Im sure being a “ Diamond Rated Customer “ will surely help him get into that Maybach. Oh, btw..,what exactly is a Diamond Rated Custoner? Can’t find it anywhere on the inter webs....
i have no idea. Probably something the guy made up on the spot when I called the NJ US HQ and started the formal complaint process. Sounds impressive.
I’ve leased or owned about 18 MB cars in total. He may have said that puts me in the top 1%. I find that hard to believe. Lots of folks must have bought far more of these cars than me. What’s it mean? Let’s find out.
Many since 2003 have been high end S, SL & CL AMG models. Based on cumulative spend with MB?
Number of vehicles? Type of vehicles? Nothing?
Old 02-27-2018, 01:39 PM

2015 MBZ S 550

i have no idea. Probably something the guy made up on the spot when I called the NJ US HQ and started the formal complaint process. Sounds impressive.
I’ve leased or owned about 18 MB cars in total. He may have said that puts me in the top 1%. I find that hard to believe. Lots of folks must have bought far more of these cars than me. What’s it mean? Let’s find out.
Many since 2003 have been high end S, SL & CL AMG models. Based on cumulative spend with MB?
Number of vehicles? Type of vehicles? Nothing?
You need to ask for the plaque that goes with the honor of being a Diamond Rated Customer. I’ve heard it’s very nice.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You need to ask for the plaque that goes with the honor of being a Diamond Rated Customer. I’ve heard it’s very nice.
But will it fit in the trunk of a 2018?
Old 02-27-2018, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,391 Likes on 1,934 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
All the jokes and kidding aside, do we really know if there is such a thing as a Diamond Rated Customer????
Old 02-27-2018, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I find no reference to it on the Internet so it is either a internal Mercedes secret or a self imposed title by snowflakes.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by Streamliner
All the jokes and kidding aside, do we really know if there is such a thing as a Diamond Rated Customer????
I can't stop laughing at these comments.

But, it may be one of these they give you.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:59 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
I find no reference to it on the Internet so it is either a internal Mercedes secret or a self imposed title by snowflakes.
What does the reference to snowflakes mean? Thank you!
Old 02-27-2018, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 473 Likes on 327 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
LOL
Old 02-28-2018, 11:41 AM

S65, SL65
Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
LOL
As my unwanted new hobby of solving the odd increase in road noise penetrating into my 560 continues to evolve, as of yesterday I know the following:
Now driven two 2018 560 cars in addition to mine - both quieter than my car.
New 2017 Maybach & S63, both quieter than my car
Troy, the service manager at the SF dealership is a serious pro & truly wants to solve this problem one way or another
Yes, there is a Diamond customer status based upon total Spend with MB - don't know the threshold for this revered status, but clearly they treat folks in this category more seriously when issues arise. Actually, I'm surprised.
Maybachs are designed and built quite differently than other S cars in subtle ways. More sound proofing material, insulation, different tire fitments (they actually inject a special foam into the tires to reduce noise!). I thought they were just stretched 8 inches and came with all options. Apparently there is much more going on w/ these sedans.

I'm happy to see that others are happy with their new 560's. Perhaps I'll join that cheerful group at some point.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:09 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
As my unwanted new hobby of solving the odd increase in road noise penetrating into my 560 continues to evolve, as of yesterday I know the following:
Now driven two 2018 560 cars in addition to mine - both quieter than my car.
New 2017 Maybach & S63, both quieter than my car
Troy, the service manager at the SF dealership is a serious pro & truly wants to solve this problem one way or another
Yes, there is a Diamond customer status based upon total Spend with MB - don't know the threshold for this revered status, but clearly they treat folks in this category more seriously when issues arise. Actually, I'm surprised.
Maybachs are designed and built quite differently than other S cars in subtle ways. More sound proofing material, insulation, different tire fitments (they actually inject a special foam into the tires to reduce noise!). I thought they were just stretched 8 inches and came with all options. Apparently there is much more going on w/ these sedans.

I'm happy to see that others are happy with their new 560's. Perhaps I'll join that cheerful group at some point.
So, you think that if I had an issue with my CPO S Class ( first MBZ I’ve ever owned ) that I wouldn’t be taken as seriously as you? I think not.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:19 PM

S65, SL65

So, you think that if I had an issue with my CPO S Class ( first MBZ I’ve ever owned ) that I wouldn’t be taken as seriously as you? I think not.
No idea. Every customer issue should be handled immediately and professionally. Can only relay what I've been told by MB. Hopefully, you won't have to find out. I'm not enjoying the experience.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:26 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
No idea. Every customer issue should be handled immediately and professionally. Can only relay what I've been told by MB. Hopefully, you won't have to find out. I'm not enjoying the experience.
Thank you and I do hope it all turns out the way you want it to. So far, my experience with MBZ service ( for my wife’s E Class cabrio ) at 2 seperate dealerships has been stellar. One of the reasons I chose a MBZ over a different brand. But I do have an ace up my sleeve if I ever do have an issue as my wife is a very fine attorney. I hope I never have to play that card.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:40 PM

S65, SL65

Thank you and I do hope it all turns out the way you want it to. So far, my experience with MBZ service ( for my wife’s E Class cabrio ) at 2 seperate dealerships has been stellar. One of the reasons I chose a MBZ over a different brand. But I do have an ace up my sleeve if I ever do have an issue as my wife is a very fine attorney. I hope I never have to play that card.
Appreciate that. I've had a great, long term experience w/ MB cars. Truly my favorite brand. Never had any issue that wasn't quickly and efficiently corrected. I'm optimistic that this issue will be resolved satisfactorily...and soon.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Appreciate that. I've had a great, long term experience w/ MB cars. Truly my favorite brand. Never had any issue that wasn't quickly and efficiently corrected. I'm optimistic that this issue will be resolved satisfactorily...and soon.
Two weeks back you stated you had hired a acoustics expert to professionally test the sound intrusion into the S.
What were the results?
Old 02-28-2018, 06:27 PM

S65, SL65

Two weeks back you stated you had hired a acoustics expert to professionally test the sound intrusion into the S.
What were the results?
The plan was to first drive other 560 and new 2017 S cars. I've now completed that process effective yesterday. My car is definitely an outlier. All others are quieter.

I outlined my external consultant proposal to the dealer service team and was asked to wait until MB USA approved opening a PTSS case and let that process proceed without introducing external consultants. It was also (appropriately) suggested that we obtain the factory test model for sound intrusion testing so that our consultant testing if & when performed, will conform to the same methodology being used by the factory engineers; don't want to generate data that they may not consider valid. I may be asked to sign a NDA w/ MB USA on the findings... they would want ownership and control of the captured external test data. And, unfortunately my quiet, wonderful 2015 550 was sold last week - no longer have access to it as a "comp" but it appears i will be able to use any S560 in that regard. Unfortunately, i can see this is going take some time however, the SF MB staff is totally supportive of this process and wanting me to be happy. That means a lot to me.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The plan was to first drive other 560 and new 2017 S cars. I've now completed that process effective yesterday. My car is definitely an outlier. All others are quieter.

I outlined my external consultant proposal to the dealer service team and was asked to wait until MB USA approved opening a PTSS case and let that process proceed without introducing external consultants. It was also (appropriately) suggested that we obtain the factory test model for sound intrusion testing so that our consultant testing if & when performed, will conform to the same methodology being used by the factory engineers; don't want to generate data that they may not consider valid. I may be asked to sign a NDA w/ MB USA on the findings... they would want ownership and control of the captured external test data. And, unfortunately my quiet, wonderful 2015 550 was sold last week - no longer have access to it as a "comp" but it appears i will be able to use any S560 in that regard. Unfortunately, i can see this is going take some time however, the SF MB staff is totally supportive of this process and wanting me to be happy. That means a lot to me.
Hopefully this will all end well for you and other S Class owners that have the excess noise also. Not a comparison really but the other day I took my 2017 SL450 on the freeway here and two back county roads I drive to our closest weekend place using a sound meter on three types of pavement at 70 mph.
Brand new ultra smooth blacktop gave me readings between 56-58 decibels. Smooth concrete was 62-64 decibels and rough blacktop was the loudest ( by rough I mean no pot holes but old enough to have a acne type surface) at 66 decibels. This is with Michelin Pilot Sports installed. What surprised me was riding with the top down and all windows and windscreen up the numbers were the same. The SL is the quietest convertable I have ever owned.
I assume a S Class Sedan on the same roads would be quieter. On two door, two seaters, the rear differential is right behind the seats so there is always some extra noise coming from behind.

Last edited by Utopia Texas; 02-28-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:08 AM

S65, SL65

Hopefully this will all end well for you and other S Class owners that have the excess noise also. Not a comparison really but the other day I took my 2017 SL450 on the freeway here and two back county roads I drive to our closest weekend place using a sound meter on three types of pavement at 70 mph.
Brand new ultra smooth blacktop gave me readings between 56-58 decibels. Smooth concrete was 62-64 decibels and rough blacktop was the loudest ( by rough I mean no pot holes but old enough to have a acne type surface) at 66 decibels. This is with Michelin Pilot Sports installed. What surprised me was riding with the top down and all windows and windscreen up the numbers were the same. The SL is the quietest convertable I have ever owned.
I assume a S Class Sedan on the same roads would be quieter. On two door, two seaters, the rear differential is right behind the seats so there is always some extra noise coming from behind.
To your point, I drove my SL65 yesterday with the S Class comparisons freshly in mind and thought "if my new S560 was only as quiet as this SL, I'd be happy". These current generation SL roadsters are really great cars with broad capabilities and seem seriously underrated by the general public IMO.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:28 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2018 S63 Sedan, 2018 GLS 63
So I picked up my 2018 s63 this past Monday and I keep getting exterior noice from the drivers side also. It honestly sounds like a window is slightly cracked open but my wife says she hears nothing on the passenger side. I pretty much only hear it when a car drives by , but it’s enough to bother me
Old 03-10-2018, 12:14 AM

S65, SL65
Originally Posted by Delta5275
So I picked up my 2018 s63 this past Monday and I keep getting exterior noice from the drivers side also. It honestly sounds like a window is slightly cracked open but my wife says she hears nothing on the passenger side. I pretty much only hear it when a car drives by , but it’s enough to bother me
Really sorry to hear that. That is exactly the problem I'm having...you want to keep checking that the driver's window is fully closed. My wife can't hear it in the passenger seat either. I'm so annoyed with my 560, I'm not driving it. I'm waiting to see what MB intends to do about it. I did recently drive a new 2017 S63 and it was great - no unwanted noise penetration - only the good AMG sounds. Please let me know how you resolve your issues
Old 03-10-2018, 07:35 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2018 S63 Sedan, 2018 GLS 63
Will do. I’m going to check everything today including any weather stripping. It’s nothing to bad and seems to only start once I hit around 35-40 mph. Otherwise I love the car. Nice change from a Range Rover
Old 03-10-2018, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 240 Likes on 201 Posts
A car
I've been following this thread intently. Does anyone have a youtube video of this? / sound recording yet? I know it was mentioned a while back but I don't see/hear anything.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:58 AM

S65, SL65
Originally Posted by Delta5275
Will do. I’m going to check everything today including any weather stripping. It’s nothing to bad and seems to only start once I hit around 35-40 mph. Otherwise I love the car. Nice change from a Range Rover
In my case, external noise enters the cabin at all speeds and it seems to be entering from the window or maybe door seal or roof. I’m always driving so I notice it in that position. Don’t yet know if it’s the same situation on the front passenger seat.
If you picture driving along at 50 mph in the right lane and a vehicle passes by you on the left, you hear it’s tire whine, engine / exhaust sounds...to a far greater extent than I ever experienced in my 2015 S550. Like it wasn’t even an issue before. That’s why it’s so annoying. It’s exactly like the window is not fully closed. But then you pull up on the button to find it is closed. So far, the dealer tech staff is reporting the car is within specification. A
PTSS file has been opened and there is dialogue with MB NJ about what to do next. The two other 560 sedans I drove had this issue to a lesser extent but not as quiet as my 3 year old S550.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2018 S Class exterior noise intrusion!