S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

2018 S Class exterior noise intrusion!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 09:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 S550 4 Matic Sport, 2015 BMW 528xi, 2012 BMW 528xi (gone), 2011 BMW Z4 (Yellow - gone)
Wow, just wow. I figure the $500 was to lock you in, and lost if you walk. Not sure I’d like tha in NJ. I don’t like the idea of reneging. I DO like $500
Old 05-21-2018, 11:52 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
S65, SL65
Originally Posted by Socalsteve

In California, they cannot keep your deposit $$$ if you renig on the deal. Must be returned to you and dealer is stuck with the vehicle.
This is true. I cancelled an order for a new Ferrari California last May when I learned that they were being replaced by the Portofino. Of course, the sales rep said that was just a rumor....$10k deposit was refunded immediately even though the car had been built. First time I ever cancelled an ordered car but so glad I did.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:43 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2018 S63 Sedan, 2018 GLS 63
Just had a full sized Range Rover as a rental and it was significantly quieter. Curious now that the 18s have been out if anyone else thinks it’s louder then the older models. But i still love everything else about the car and it’s not 24/7

Last edited by Delta5275; 05-28-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,392 Likes on 1,934 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Originally Posted by Delta5275
Just had a full sized Range Rover as a rental and it was significantly quieter. Curious now that the 18s have been out if anyone else thinks it’s louder then the older models
I had a new 2015 S550 Sedan, which I recently traded on a new 2018 S560. I do hear traffic sounds when I am on the freeway. However, I truly feel that the only reason that I hear these sounds more in the new car than in the old car, is because EVERYTHING else in the new car is so much more quiet. My 2018 is “THE” most quiet vehicle I have ever ridden in.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:18 PM

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
2018 S560 4Matic Anth Blue
Same for me, traded my 2015 for the new 2018 and it is significantly improved and quiet. I was worried about the noise from the forums, but it turned out not to be the case for me.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:21 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2018 S63 Sedan, 2018 GLS 63
Originally Posted by Streamliner

I had a new 2015 S550 Sedan, which I recently traded on a new 2018 S560. I do hear traffic sounds when I am on the freeway. However, I truly feel that the only reason that I hear these sounds more in the new car than in the old car, is because EVERYTHING else in the new car is so much more quiet. My 2018 is “THE” most quiet vehicle I have ever ridden in.
I would have to say that’s the best answer I heard so far compared to every other answer and would make the most sense. Need to figure more insulation now since everything else is quite. It could be like you said I’m just not used to hearing the outside since since every other component is quieter

Old 05-29-2018, 03:48 PM

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Rolls Royce Wraith, 1999 CLK Cabriolet, 2023 Genesis G90
Hello, everyone:

I haven't been present on this forum in quite some time, but I'm glad to see that it remains a friendly place. I've read this entire thread and I honestly sympathize with HSLA and his ordeal with a noise. I too am very sensitive to noises and hear absolutely everything in the car. I read that he was considering moving on to a different brand and mentioned Bentley as one possibility. I would like to briefly share my experience with a 2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed.

A few years ago, I got it into my small brain that I wanted to get a Bentley. I was on my second AMG CL63, which I absolutely loved, but got the "itch" for something different. I drove one at a dealer and liked it. I didn't buy it because it didn't have Bentley's version of Distronic to which I had gotten very attached and found a necessity in any car I drove. So, I waited. The salesman, who has since become a good friend, called me one day and said he had a GT Speed that checked all the boxes for me, so I drove up 90 miles and picked it up. It was beautiful...but that was it. On the way home, it blew a fuse and I lost all the interior lights, including the automatic headlight control and automatic rain-sensing wipers. A few days later, the vehicle was picked up and taken back to the dealer, where they traced the problem to a pinched wire in the windshield frame that shorted out. Why this wasn't picked up at the factory or on dealer prep was beyond me. After that debut, it was sadly downhill from there. The car developed a vibration that was never quite resolved. It made a ticking noise at idle, that could only be heard with the car stationary in front of my garage door, which likely reflected the sound. The "distronic" was sadly a very expensive useless option. It would bring the car to a stop when traffic ahead of me slowed down and stopped, but after about 4 seconds, it would make a "ding" sound and advise me on the dashboard to put my foot on the brake, as the system was about to disconnect. The "hold" feature we have on our Mercedes vehicles that holds the car at a stop by giving the brake a pump was done on the Bentley by pulling up on the E-brake button. Upon depressing the gas pedal, it was supposed to release. It didn't. When pulling away, it would drag the butt of the car like a dog with itchy **** glands, forcing me to come to a complete stop, push the E-brake button to disengage it, and then pull away. All this while I had people honking the horn at me from behind. Needless to say, I had had enough of this quarter million dollar mistake, so when the first service came up at a year, I called my friend at the dealership and asked him if he had any Rolls Royces that I could test. He prepared two for me. I drove up to leave the Bentley there for service and test drove the Rolls Ghost. I distinctly remember the moment I decided it was for me. I was sitting in the driver's seat waiting for the salesman to come out with the tag, and I didn't realize the car was running. It was that smooth and quiet. I left the Bentley there and drove home in a Bentley Flying Spur loaner (long story for another time) and a week later, there was a new Ghost in my driveway. I had it for three years until I decided I wanted something different. I traded it for a new Wraith last year and this one is even quieter and smoother than the Ghost was. Now, I know that this is a Mercedes Benz forum,and I've probably ruffled a few feathers by posting this commentary, but I wanted to warn HSLA and potentially others about my bad Bentley experience. I still have my 1999 CLK cabriolet, which was my first Mercedes, that I ordered in 1997, and I've had a slew of different Mercedes/AMG vehicles through the years. I recently had to get rid of my GLE 63 because it became increasingly difficult to transport my elderly parents in it, as it was too high off the ground and required me to carry around a surgical stool for my 94 year old mom to climb up on before she could reach the running board. The only drawback to the Wraith is that it's a two door car. I agonized over the replacement because I drove an S560 and didn't like it. I just didn't feel comfortable in it, for some reason. I wanted to like it, but just couldn't. On my way home from test-driving the S560, Ion a whim I stopped at a local BMW dealer and drove a 750i. Much to my surprise, it fit me like a glove. I never thought I would ever have another BMW after selling my 1993 318is many years ago because it was too noisy. I ended up getting a 2018 BMW 750i that is very comfortable and quiet, and thus far has not made me regret my decision. There are some differences, I know, and there will be some here that may fault me for having "jumped ship," but at the time, it was the best decision for me. I attribute my liking the BMW to the fact that being the parent company for Rolls Royce, certain driving characteristics are similar between the two. Of course, the degree of quietness and smoothness in the BMW is not quite that in the Rolls, and some little blemishes in the leather would have never made it onto the Rolls Royce interior, but I remember noticing those little details in my other Mercedes as well. I've noticed that all car makers, except perhaps those at the very top, have cut some corners to save money and the overall quality of vehicles has suffered a bit. Moreover, the fact that most vehicles are made on an assembly line with productivity being an important factor, it's not surprising that these things happen. Perhaps this is what HSLA experienced, or maybe he simply had the bad luck to get a car that drove him insane, just like I experienced with the Bentley. I hope he and others can find a vehicle that makes him smile and enjoy the quietness of the ride. I do for now. We'll have to see what will be next.
The following users liked this post:
Jan AMG (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Well Joe, that's one epic write-up. Thanks for sharing. I'm now in a similar situation when I'm about to trade-in a perfectly fine car to get a better one hoping to upgrade but I have a feeling I might get into new unexpected issues. Your post came just in time.
neodoc (06-02-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by neodoc
Hello, everyone:
I called my friend at the dealership and asked him if he had any Rolls Royces that I could test. He prepared two for me. I drove up to leave the Bentley there for service and test drove the Rolls Ghost. I distinctly remember the moment I decided it was for me. I was sitting in the driver's seat waiting for the salesman to come out with the tag, and I didn't realize the car was running. It was that smooth and quiet. I left the Bentley there and drove home in a Bentley Flying Spur loaner (long story for another time) and a week later, there was a new Ghost in my driveway. I had it for three years until I decided I wanted something different. I traded it for a new Wraith last year and this one is even quieter and smoother than the Ghost was. Now, I know that this is a Mercedes Benz forum,and I've probably ruffled a few feathers by posting this commentary, but I wanted to warn HSLA and potentially others about my bad Bentley experience. I still have my 1999 CLK cabriolet, which was my first Mercedes, that I ordered in 1997, and I've had a slew of different Mercedes/AMG vehicles through the years. I recently had to get rid of my GLE 63 because it became increasingly difficult to transport my elderly parents in it, as it was too high off the ground and required me to carry around a surgical stool for my 94 year old mom to climb up on before she could reach the running board. The only drawback to the Wraith is that it's a two door car. I agonized over the replacement because I drove an S560 and didn't like it. I just didn't feel comfortable in it, for some reason. I wanted to like it, but just couldn't. On my way home from test-driving the S560, Ion a whim I stopped at a local BMW dealer and drove a 750i. Much to my surprise, it fit me like a glove. I never thought I would ever have another BMW after selling my 1993 318is many years ago because it was too noisy. I ended up getting a 2018 BMW 750i that is very comfortable and quiet, and thus far has not made me regret my decision. There are some differences, I know, and there will be some here that may fault me for having "jumped ship," but at the time, it was the best decision for me. I attribute my liking the BMW to the fact that being the parent company for Rolls Royce, certain driving characteristics are similar between the two. Of course, the degree of quietness and smoothness in the BMW is not quite that in the Rolls, and some little blemishes in the leather would have never made it onto the Rolls Royce interior, but I remember noticing those little details in my other Mercedes as well. I've noticed that all car makers, except perhaps those at the very top, have cut some corners to save money and the overall quality of vehicles has suffered a bit. Moreover, the fact that most vehicles are made on an assembly line with productivity being an important factor, it's not surprising that these things happen. Perhaps this is what HSLA experienced, or maybe he simply had the bad luck to get a car that drove him insane, just like I experienced with the Bentley. I hope he and others can find a vehicle that makes him smile and enjoy the quietness of the ride. I do for now. We'll have to see what will be next.
I'd like to hear more about the Ghost? Any problems with it?
Old 05-30-2018, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jason B
So would I.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jason B
The 2014 Rolls Royce Ghost that I bought from new was up to that point the quietest, smoothest riding car I had ever owned. I'll make some remarks about the different aspects of the vehicle as they come to mind, and will comment on any specifics if asked. As I mentioned in my original post, on my test drive, as I waited for the salesman to come out with the tag, I was sitting in the driver's seat with the door open and didn't realize that it was running until I looked at the dashboard. It was exactly the vault I was looking for. The Ghost I owned was extremely quiet on all but the roughest of roads, and had the pano-roof, which I never opened, but would occasionally uncover to be able to look up at tall buildings or the night sky. It was especially nice if I had passengers from out of town in the back seat and was driving them around showing them the sights. Aside from those instrances, I kept it closed and covered because I noticed that when the cover was retracted, there was a little bit of noise in the cabin.

Mine had an upgraded stereo system with "rear theater configuration" or as normal folks would call it, rear seat TV monitors, which I rarely, or should say never, used. The stereo produced good, clean sound, but needed way more power in its amplifier to have more "headroom" and make the sound richer. Audiophiles will know what I'm talking about. It wasn't a concert hall, but it was okay. The music sounded very nice and the hard-drive was able to easily hold over 1000 songs with room to spare, but in that system, the one annoying thing was trying to find a particular track to play. That task required multiple twists and pushes on the central controller (Rolls Royce's version of BMW's i-drive). Doing the same on my GLE 63's Command system was much quicker and easier. Ergonomics were superb, especially in the back with the automatically closing doors and it had a foot operated trunk closer under the rear bumper that came in handy, which reminds me of one of the features I absolutely HATED about the Bentley. Not only did the trunk take forever to close, but it didn't have a button on the trunk that would close the trunk lid and lock the car, so one would have to wait for it to inch its way down and close before walking over to the driver's door and pressing the lock button. I would curse that thing every time I used it.

Returning to the topic at hand, the active cruise control on the Rolls worked much better than the Distronic on the Mercedes, including adjusting its speed when going around a curve, which I've read is a feature on the current Distronic Plus. One other aspect of the cruise control was its ability to "hold on" to the vehicle in front, even when going around a curve. That's something I recall my 2008 CL63 would have trouble with and would simply disconnect when the car in front would go around the curve and was no longer directly in front of the sensor. More recently, my GLE would keep track of the vehicle ahead much more effectively, but would often require me to disengage it, as it wouldn't slow down for a tight curve like an on-ramp, and I would find myself coming up fast or tailgating the car ahead of me before it would recognize that car and slow itself down.

With regards to power, the Ghost had close to 600 hp and could accelerate viciously, but always with elegance. I remember getting on a highway once and flooring it as I staightened out from the ramp. It literally felt like a plane on take-off just as its wheels lift off the ground. It was that powerful, but smooth at the same time. During normal daily driving, it was effortless to merge into traffic, and it only required a slight press of the gas pedal to get up to speed or change lanes. When I felt like being naughty, I could smoke a lot of sportscars and leave them scartching their heads, but that type of shennanigans I leave for the track in a different car, which is more appropriate. It wouldn't be "dignified" to drive a Rolls that way. It wasn't designed for that and isn't happy when pushed hard into corners, which I never did, but watched on Youtube.

Other little gripes would include the lack of a front camera and blind spot warning. Those features are so useful on the Mercedes that I truly miss them in the Rolls. After a close call, I had to install the stick-on wide angle mirrors on the side mirrors, which I find horrid, but a necessity. Another slight annoyance would be the "hold" feature, which on our Mercedes vehicles is achieved by pumping the brake once while at, say, a stoplight. In the Rolls, it requires actually pressing a "hold" button on the dashboard, which then engages the hold feature each time the vehicle comes to a complete stop. This can be rather annoying when maneuvering in a parking lot. Moreover, the system reverts back to the default "off" when the engine is shut down, so the next time you get in and drive away, you must push the hold button again to engage it. In my new BMW, at least it "remembers" the settings and leaves everything as it was last used. I can honestly say the system in the Mercedes is better.

With regards to mechanical problems, there were none. It only went in for routine service, which was covered in the first 4 years. My dealer is 90 miles away, but the few times it went up for service, they would send a flatbed to pick up my car and leave me a loaner. One time, I had the rotten luck that a vehicle traveling in front of me on the highway kicked up a piece of debris laying on the road and it struck the bottom of my grille, leaving a ding in it. The grille had to be replaced, which thankfully was covered by my insurance at a cost of $12,000, and the dealer, recognizing that I would need a loaner for an extended period of time, sent me a new Ghost which I drove for about 3 weeks. They are classy people. Overall, my first experience with Rolls Royce ownership has been positive. Last year, after about three years with the Ghost, I got the"itch" again and decided to move into a 2-door Wraith, and I don't regret it. It is a tiny bit quieter than the Ghost and has over 600 hp, so power is not an issue. The two "carriage doors" open easily and close with the push of a button. To get in the car "butt first" and sit down before swinging my feet in took some getting used to, but now it's second nature. Getting out is easier too. I feel I made a good move by becoming a Rolls Royce owner, but I still miss my old Mercedes vehicles. The 99 CLK cabriolet that I bought almost 20 years ago still is in my possession and will likely remain so, as it has great sentimental value. It has 38,000 miles and looks brand new. It keeps me "legit" and still officially part of the Mercedes forum. I hope this write-up wasn't too long and addressed points of interest. If anyone has specific questions about the Ghost or Wraith, I'll be happy to answer them. Cheers!

2014 Ghost

2017 Wraith

1999 CLK 320 cabriolet
The following 5 users liked this post by neodoc:
Germancar1 (05-31-2018), grossmsj (05-30-2018), Jan AMG (05-30-2018), Nice Ride (06-01-2018), Streamliner (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 938 Likes on 685 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
The 2014 Rolls Royce Ghost that I bought from new was up to that point the quietest, smoothest riding car I had ever owned. I'll make some remarks about the different aspects of the vehicle as they come to mind, and will comment on any specifics if asked. As I mentioned in my original post, on my test drive, as I waited for the salesman to come out with the tag, I was sitting in the driver's seat with the door open and didn't realize that it was running until I looked at the dashboard. It was exactly the vault I was looking for. The Ghost I owned was extremely quiet on all but the roughest of roads, and had the pano-roof, which I never opened, but would occasionally uncover to be able to look up at tall buildings or the night sky. It was especially nice if I had passengers from out of town in the back seat and was driving them around showing them the sights. Aside from those instrances, I kept it closed and covered because I noticed that when the cover was retracted, there was a little bit of noise in the cabin.

Mine had an upgraded stereo system with "rear theater configuration" or as normal folks would call it, rear seat TV monitors, which I rarely, or should say never, used. The stereo produced good, clean sound, but needed way more power in its amplifier to have more "headroom" and make the sound richer. Audiophiles will know what I'm talking about. It wasn't a concert hall, but it was okay. The music sounded very nice and the hard-drive was able to easily hold over 1000 songs with room to spare, but in that system, the one annoying thing was trying to find a particular track to play. That task required multiple twists and pushes on the central controller (Rolls Royce's version of BMW's i-drive). Doing the same on my GLE 63's Command system was much quicker and easier. Ergonomics were superb, especially in the back with the automatically closing doors and it had a foot operated trunk closer under the rear bumper that came in handy, which reminds me of one of the features I absolutely HATED about the Bentley. Not only did the trunk take forever to close, but it didn't have a button on the trunk that would close the trunk lid and lock the car, so one would have to wait for it to inch its way down and close before walking over to the driver's door and pressing the lock button. I would curse that thing every time I used it.

Returning to the topic at hand, the active cruise control on the Rolls worked much better than the Distronic on the Mercedes, including adjusting its speed when going around a curve, which I've read is a feature on the current Distronic Plus. One other aspect of the cruise control was its ability to "hold on" to the vehicle in front, even when going around a curve. That's something I recall my 2008 CL63 would have trouble with and would simply disconnect when the car in front would go around the curve and was no longer directly in front of the sensor. More recently, my GLE would keep track of the vehicle ahead much more effectively, but would often require me to disengage it, as it wouldn't slow down for a tight curve like an on-ramp, and I would find myself coming up fast or tailgating the car ahead of me before it would recognize that car and slow itself down.

With regards to power, the Ghost had close to 600 hp and could accelerate viciously, but always with elegance. I remember getting on a highway once and flooring it as I staightened out from the ramp. It literally felt like a plane on take-off just as its wheels lift off the ground. It was that powerful, but smooth at the same time. During normal daily driving, it was effortless to merge into traffic, and it only required a slight press of the gas pedal to get up to speed or change lanes. When I felt like being naughty, I could smoke a lot of sportscars and leave them scartching their heads, but that type of shennanigans I leave for the track in a different car, which is more appropriate. It wouldn't be "dignified" to drive a Rolls that way. It wasn't designed for that and isn't happy when pushed hard into corners, which I never did, but watched on Youtube.

Other little gripes would include the lack of a front camera and blind spot warning. Those features are so useful on the Mercedes that I truly miss them in the Rolls. After a close call, I had to install the stick-on wide angle mirrors on the side mirrors, which I find horrid, but a necessity. Another slight annoyance would be the "hold" feature, which on our Mercedes vehicles is achieved by pumping the brake once while at, say, a stoplight. In the Rolls, it requires actually pressing a "hold" button on the dashboard, which then engages the hold feature each time the vehicle comes to a complete stop. This can be rather annoying when maneuvering in a parking lot. Moreover, the system reverts back to the default "off" when the engine is shut down, so the next time you get in and drive away, you must push the hold button again to engage it. In my new BMW, at least it "remembers" the settings and leaves everything as it was last used. I can honestly say the system in the Mercedes is better.

With regards to mechanical problems, there were none. It only went in for routine service, which was covered in the first 4 years. My dealer is 90 miles away, but the few times it went up for service, they would send a flatbed to pick up my car and leave me a loaner. One time, I had the rotten luck that a vehicle traveling in front of me on the highway kicked up a piece of debris laying on the road and it struck the bottom of my grille, leaving a ding in it. The grille had to be replaced, which thankfully was covered by my insurance at a cost of $12,000, and the dealer, recognizing that I would need a loaner for an extended period of time, sent me a new Ghost which I drove for about 3 weeks. They are classy people. Overall, my first experience with Rolls Royce ownership has been positive. Last year, after about three years with the Ghost, I got the"itch" again and decided to move into a 2-door Wraith, and I don't regret it. It is a tiny bit quieter than the Ghost and has over 600 hp, so power is not an issue. The two "carriage doors" open easily and close with the push of a button. To get in the car "butt first" and sit down before swinging my feet in took some getting used to, but now it's second nature. Getting out is easier too. I feel I made a good move by becoming a Rolls Royce owner, but I still miss my old Mercedes vehicles. The 99 CLK cabriolet that I bought almost 20 years ago still is in my possession and will likely remain so, as it has great sentimental value. It has 38,000 miles and looks brand new. It keeps me "legit" and still officially part of the Mercedes forum. I hope this write-up wasn't too long and addressed points of interest. If anyone has specific questions about the Ghost or Wraith, I'll be happy to answer them. Cheers!

2014 Ghost

2017 Wraith

1999 CLK 320 cabriolet
Wow , the Wraith is just striking! It looks like something Clark Gable would have driven if he were still alive.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 05-31-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Wow , the Wraith is just striking! It looks like something Clark Gable would have driven if he were still alive.
From the angle of the photo, I agree. However, from the rear end, which is not shown here, I find the view hideous. I much prefer the Ghost.
neodoc (06-02-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 10:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 S550 4 Matic Sport, 2015 BMW 528xi, 2012 BMW 528xi (gone), 2011 BMW Z4 (Yellow - gone)
Wow, I’m humbled by the Rolls photos and narrative. I’m driving an S, so nobody will join my pity party, but I’ll say the Rolls info, and photos, are beautiful and aspirational. Thank you.
neodoc (06-02-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Great reading, thanks for posting!

M
neodoc (06-02-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by garygnu
Wow, I’m humbled by the Rolls photos and narrative. I’m driving an S, so nobody will join my pity party, but I’ll say the Rolls info, and photos, are beautiful and aspirational. Thank you.
Rolls-Royce cars are wonderful vehicles these days, but are like Louis Vuitton products, in so much as they are priced WAY out of line compared to their production costs, simply to keep them very exclusive. I had a new Corniche Convertible in 1987. Admittedly a completely different animal compared to the BMW engineered RR’s of today. It was a lovely, elegant, piece of junk and I sent it on its way after only six months of ownership. The current RR models are much better and I don’t question that they are extremely elegant, quiet and comfortable. However, I truly believe that overall, the W222 is a safer, more competent and better engineered vehicle. Would I like a Ghost? I would, if only for that velvety smooth & utterly quiet ride. Would I pay 3 to 4 times what my S560 costs for one? Never! I refuse to pay for the exclusivity. If it were 50% more than my S, maybe.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic

Rolls-Royce cars are wonderful vehicles these days, but are like Louis Vuitton products, in so much as they are priced WAY out of line compared to their production costs, simply to keep them very exclusive. I had a new Corniche Convertible in 1987. Admittedly a completely different animal compared to the BMW engineered RR’s of today. It was a lovely, elegant, piece of junk and I sent it on its way after only six months of ownership. The current RR models are much better and I don’t question that they are extremely elegant, quiet and comfortable. However, I truly believe that overall, the W222 is a safer, more competent and better engineered vehicle. Would I like a Ghost? I would, if only for that velvety smooth & utterly quiet ride. Would I pay 3 to 4 times what my S560 costs for one? Never! I refuse to pay for the exclusivity. If it were 50% more than my S, maybe.
I agree a Mercedes S Class is a much better value proposition and in some ways a better car all together.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:50 AM

From the angle of the photo, I agree. However, from the rear end, which is not shown here, I find the view hideous. I much prefer the Ghost.
I wouldn't say it's hideous, but it's an acquired taste.
The following 2 users liked this post by neodoc:
grossmsj (06-02-2018), MBNUT1 (02-27-2023)
Old 06-02-2018, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Very elegantly sporting looking! I think that Clark would have gone for it. Didn't he have a boat tail speedster?

Last edited by MBNUT1; 06-02-2018 at 02:44 PM.
neodoc (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Very elegantly sporting looking! I think that Clark would have gone for it. Didn't he have a boat tail speedster?
Yeah, but his was a Duesenberg.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:50 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
20181 or 20182 meaning series 1 or 2
where is this information printed? I don't see it on the window stickers or build sheets I've looked at
Old 06-20-2018, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 473 Likes on 327 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
I could never afford a car like that but even if I could , I would be terrified to drive it. I would just get it out occasionally and show it off as the art piece that it is.
MBNUT1 (02-27-2023)
Old 06-21-2018, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 S560v
Originally Posted by wilfie
I think it was part of the premium package and may have been low e/infra red/heat reflecting or something.
If you look in parts dot com there are 2 side widows listed as a part replacement. One is with heat reflective one with out. The one with is a quieter double glass. If you roll the window half down and look at the top edge you can see the laminations and the the film between the layers. If it looks like one solid piece you have the noisy version. On mine the printing on the bottom corner says sungate and is laminated. The E class forum has lots of people that had MB replace the glass as they got the wrong type.
I have Sungate on my 2018 S560 and non-RFT Michelin and this ride is noisy and rough. I never had a 2015 S550 to compare but the S560 is disappointing compared to my 2014 LS460. Magic Body Control is a farce IMO.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by supra55vp
I have Sungate on my 2018 S560 and non-RFT Michelin and this ride is noisy and rough. I never had a 2015 S550 to compare but the S560 is disappointing compared to my 2014 LS460. Magic Body Control is a farce IMO.
Well, I’m sorry to hear that. My 2018 S560, with 18” wheels, Bridgestone Serenity Plus conventional tires and Magic Body Control, continues to amaze and impress me, and when it comes to ride quality and quietness, I am a VERY difficult person to please. We recently returned from a 800+ mike drive up I-5 to Napa Valley and then down Hwy 101 to Montecito and then home to Orange County. We encountered all sorts of dry driving conditions, from beat up country roads to ribbon smooth asphalt and the car was nothing short of spectacular. The ride is always near perfect, MBC works light years better than it did on my 2015 and the car is so incredibly quiet and comfortable. I cannot think of any car that might surpass the ride & quietness on my S560, without going to a new Rolls-Royce at three to four times the cost and, most likely with fewer safety features. The S560 is not exactly what I would like, but it’s so damn close. I hope you find out what is causing your car problems.

As for Lexus, I had eight, new, fully loaded LS sedans between 1993 and 2012. They were wonderful cars, but when the Lexus design people lost their minds with their “spindle grill” design, I went to MB for my daily drivers and have never looked back. Actually, that’s not true: before taking delivery of my S560, I drove a new LS500 with air suspension and was thoroughly disappointed in pretty much everything about the car, especially the exterior design. Honestly, Lexus dealers worldwide need to gather the execs at Toyota together and perform an intervention—or maybe even an EXORCISM, to get them to fire the current design team enmasse and to start with a clean sheet of paper.
P.S. I noticed your handle. I had three new Supras in 1983, ‘85 & ‘86. Those were magnificent cars in their day, especially the ‘86!

Last edited by Streamliner; 06-21-2018 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:43 AM

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
2018 S560 4Matic Anth Blue
Also a previous Lexus LS owner, then '15 S550 4Matic, and now new 2018 S560 4Matic w/ 20" Goodyear RFT tires. My windows are multi-pane and the ride is smooth, quiet and the best of the lot. On certain roads a bit of tire noise is heard, but passing traffic is nearly silent. Sorry about your issues, I would be massively unhappy with buying a $120k car and having your experience.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2018 S Class exterior noise intrusion!