MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W222) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222-178/)
-   -   Just drove the 2018 Lexus LS500 (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222/698541-just-drove-2018-lexus-ls500.html)

Streamliner 02-13-2018 10:07 PM

Just drove the 2018 Lexus LS500

My local Lexus Dealer just got their first few 2018 LS500 sedans and they called to offer me a test drive. How could I refuse? It was a short, 15 minute drive, but I came away with the feeling that this is not the ever-so-special car that has been so hyped for the last 18 to 24 months.

First off, the Turbo V6 feels and sounds like a V6, which to me, in a high end luxury sedan, just doesn’t feel or sound right. The fact that I could actually HEAR the engine was amazing to me. This new car has been touted as something unworldly and was supposed to be near silent. Not so. As a matter of fact, it sounded noisier than any of the eight V8 LS sedans I have owned.

The ride in this air suspension car was good, but did not compare to the ride of my 2015, MBC & 18” conventional tire equipped S550.

The presence of the car was not nearly as striking in person as it has been in photos.

All in all, I was expecting something truly over the top—and there may be some areas where that can be said about this new car—but with what I experienced in my short time with the car, I can only say that I was underwhelmed. Oh well.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6d3dbf23f.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...627f67d4f.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...49a51e16f.jpeg

aypues 02-14-2018 02:02 AM

How was the acceleration vs the S450 you tested? Was the S450’s V6 quieter?

Bahnstormer 02-14-2018 05:35 AM

That grille is an enormous monstrosity.

superpop 02-14-2018 08:28 AM

Lexus has come unhinged with some of the design concepts in there new vehicles. The new grill is ridiculous. Maybe I am getting old but I wouldn't give a squirt of piss for that car.

Streamliner 02-14-2018 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by aypues (Post 7380759)
How was the acceleration vs the S450 you tested? Was the S450’s V6 quieter?

As I recall, I was not put off by the S450; but I was with the Lexus. But bith test drives were too short to really get a good feel for the cars.

1bad540 02-14-2018 10:02 AM

with the small wheels and jacked up suspension the car looks gross.

Streamliner 02-14-2018 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by 1bad540 (Post 7380909)
with the small wheels and jacked up suspension the car looks gross.

Actually, I believe the wheels were 20”, with what looked like very low profile tires. And, I believe the height adjustment may have been in the “Up” position when I took these photos. The cars had only arrived a couple of hours ago and the salesman knew almost nothing about the controls. He said he would be doing a crash course in learning about the car that evening.

Streamliner 02-14-2018 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bahnstormer (Post 7380805)

I agree. They should have gone for a refined, subtle, understated elegance look, but that’s not the current Lexus philosophy. They want to be “in your face,” which is pretty much exactly the opposite of where their traditional customers were coming from. In my opinion, they threw their customer base—that they had won over and pampered for decades—under the bus, so they could become a performance brand, more like BMW than MB.

As I have mentioned in the past, I was a die-hard Lexus customer. I had eight, new, loaded LS sedans between 1993 and 2012, but when they went to their horrid “spindle grill” design, I bailed and went to an MB S Class. I won’t say I have never looked back, as I have, hoping that Lexus would win me over again, but that was not to be. The tsunami devastated Lexus and what has emerged from the ashes are Godzilla type designs and the mind set that their big sedan needs to be “sporty” and overly aggressive, both of which targets I feel they have badly missed with this new car. I wish the company well, but they won’t be seeing me back anytime soon. My new S560 went through the Panama Canal the other day and is due to arrive next week. The choice over the new Lexus isn’t even close. And, if my MB dealer doesn’t treat me right on the deal for the new car, the choice to keep my 2015 over the new Lexus won’t even be close either.

Mitch Alsup 02-14-2018 01:18 PM

That is quite an understatement!

HSCLA 02-14-2018 01:20 PM

Disappointed to read your review, SL. As I get more and more frustrated with my noisy 560, I’ve starting to look for MB alternatives.
The LS was on my list. Interestingly, the local high end body shop that has all the euro dealer contracts, suggested I avoid BMW 7 series...
also said the Audi cars are noisy inside. Doesn’t leave much. The XJ jags are cramped inside and old tech, Flying Spur is really low tech - no new driver aids for 2 more model years...and frowned upon by many here in San Francisco as too “showy”. My wife vetoed the Tesla S due to rough ride, crude interior appointments, etc. The Lyft driver yesterday had a quiet, nicely appointed Toyota Avalon...

Wolfman 02-14-2018 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by HSCLA (Post 7381055)
Disappointed to read your review, SL. As I get more and more frustrated with my noisy 560, I’ve starting to look for MB alternatives.
The LS was on my list. Interestingly, the local high end body shop that has all the euro dealer contracts, suggested I avoid BMW 7 series...
also said the Audi cars are noisy inside. Doesn’t leave much. The XJ jags are cramped inside and old tech, Flying Spur is really low tech - no new driver aids for 2 more model years...and frowned upon by many here in San Francisco as too “showy”. My wife vetoed the Tesla S due to rough ride, crude interior appointments, etc. The Lyft driver yesterday had a quiet, nicely appointed Toyota Avalon...

Not too many choices in that segment unfortunately. Have you had any progress on tracking down the noise?

Wolfman 02-14-2018 03:16 PM

This is getting worse! If people thought that a the Mercedes W222 is large, the new Audi A8 grill is nearly twice the size! At least it blends in better than the horrid Lexus grill. A just as HSCLA was mentioning the Avalon, check out the grill of the 2019 model...https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...ce0b29cc83.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...eceed154cf.jpg

HSCLA 02-14-2018 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman (Post 7381187)
Not too many choices in that segment unfortunately. Have you had any progress on tracking down the noise?

So I have requested the dealer make available two different S560's for comparison driving. Awaiting a response. Also requested a meeting with the MB field engineer. Awaiting a response on this as well.

Just now spoke w/ Charles of Charles M. Salter Associates, Inc. - they are the No 1 acoustical engineering firm in SF (sorry, lost control of the font size...)
Charles has designed an Air Bourne Test that will introduce a steady 90Db sound source at both my former 550 and the 560, one after the other in the identical enclosed environment. The recording microphone will then be positioned at various preselected locations within the passenger compartments of both vehicles. We will then have absolute quantifiable sound recordings to compare, eliminating any subjecting impressions / bias. I'm hoping MB of SF permits this testing to occur.

I'll report on progress.

Wolfman 02-14-2018 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by HSCLA (Post 7381271)
So I have requested the dealer make available two different S560's for comparison driving. Awaiting a response. Also requested a meeting with the MB field engineer. Awaiting a response on this as well.

Just now spoke w/ Charles of Charles M. Salter Associates, Inc. - they are the No 1 acoustical engineering firm in SF (sorry, lost control of the font size...)
Charles has designed an Air Bourne Test that will introduce a steady 90Db sound source at both my former 550 and the 560, one after the other in the identical enclosed environment. The recording microphone will then be positioned at various preselected locations within the passenger compartments of both vehicles. We will then have absolute quantifiable sound recordings to compare, eliminating any subjecting impressions / bias. I'm hoping MB of SF permits this testing to occur.

I'll report on progress.

Excellent! You are definitely going the extra mile to track down the source. Am eager to await the results...

HSCLA 02-14-2018 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman (Post 7381327)
Excellent! You are definitely going the extra mile to track down the source. Am eager to await the results...

Thanks. Sadly, I have no choice. Can’t stand driving the car. What an unpleasant surprise. My fear is the noise is getting in thru the panoramic roof.
Then what?

Streamliner 02-14-2018 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman (Post 7381327)

Me too!

Streamliner 02-14-2018 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by HSCLA (Post 7381332)

Thanks. Sadly, I have no choice. Can’t stand driving the car. What an unpleasant surprise. My fear is the noise is getting in thru the panoramic roof.
Then what?

Please tell us again what the noise sounds like. Is it like rushing air entering the cabin? Or road noise from the tires? At what speeds does it start? Does it get worse at faster speeds? I just can’t imagine how a car that is probably 98% exactly the same, body wise, as the car that has been built since 2014 can all of a sudden be so different. I feel very badly for you, as I know that I would be absolutely sick over such a situation. At least it would appear that you have the resources to tackle this problem and the tenacity to see it through. I wish you the best of success in your fight.

P.S. My new S560 is due in next week. However, I had to extend the lease on my 2015, as I waited too long to order the new car. So, I have paid the lease through the end of February. I am not going to return the old car, until I am absolutely convinced that the new car is what it should be. Maybe I can get the dealer to let me take it for an extended test drive, before I sign the papers.

Socalsteve 02-14-2018 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by HSCLA (Post 7381332)

Then what?

Turn up the radio...problem fixed!

But seriously, is it really that much louder? How is that even possible considering the bones of the vehicle hasn’t changed at all. I bet it’s a very simple fix. Maybe a piece of soundproofing was left out of one of the panels or???

Good luck!

Tomsti 02-14-2018 11:58 PM

Funny! As I was scrolling through the pictures. I got to the grill and an audible grunt came out, uhhhhg. Me no likey.

Streamliner 02-15-2018 12:15 AM

Here’s a proposed order for some customer. Check out the option charge for that “Executive Package.” I’ll bet all the middle management types over in China will be going nuts over this car. Maybe that’s the market Lexus designed this car for, not the Western World. Sort of makes sense when you think about it.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...814907038c.pnghttps://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...13b7b1e9bc.pnghttps://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7af3df24cd.png

Utopia Texas 02-15-2018 08:12 AM

What is Kirko glass?

Streamliner 02-15-2018 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Utopia Texas (Post 7381711)
What is Kirko glass?

Fancy, sort of cut glass inserts in the door panels. Lexus says they are engineered to break in a certain way in an accident, but the last thing I would want on a door panel is GLASS!

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...e27369ba1.jpeg

teksurv 02-15-2018 10:32 AM

Wolf...you have to stop. That Avalon grille, I have no words just the sour taste of vomit in my mouth.

Jason B 02-15-2018 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by HSCLA (Post 7381055)
Flying Spur

I just think the newer body spur is gorgeous. It does drive great too. You should test one out for fun.

HSCLA 02-16-2018 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Socalsteve (Post 7381571)

Turn up the radio...problem fixed!

But seriously, is it really that much louder? How is that even possible considering the bones of the vehicle hasn’t changed at all. I bet it’s a very simple fix. Maybe a piece of soundproofing was left out of one of the panels or???

Good luck!

Yeah, it really is that bad. My S550 was QUIET. Serene. My SL65 has less external noise penetration. That’s just nuts!