S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Need some Distronic and tuning opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 SL500
Need some Distronic and tuning opinions

With pricing getting very attractive on 2015/2016 S550's and I'm finally old enough to pull off an S-class I think I want one for a daily driver. My questions:
Does Distronic really work well in stop and go traffic? Can the following distance be set short enough to keep every other a-hole on the road from cutting in front of you or does it really matter since the car is operating the pedals? Now the really important question. What other vehicles (can be new 2018) have a better active cruise control and what about it makes it better?

What are good tuning options for 550? I've seen claims of S63-ish HP with a tune on this car but don't really know the vendors for MB tuning these days.

TIA
Old 02-16-2018, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 473 Likes on 327 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by Lincoln
With pricing getting very attractive on 2015/2016 S550's and I'm finally old enough to pull off an S-class I think I want one for a daily driver. My questions:
Does Distronic really work well in stop and go traffic? Can the following distance be set short enough to keep every other a-hole on the road from cutting in front of you or does it really matter since the car is operating the pedals? Now the really important question. What other vehicles (can be new 2018) have a better active cruise control and what about it makes it better?

What are good tuning options for 550? I've seen claims of S63-ish HP with a tune on this car but don't really know the vendors for MB tuning these days.

TIA
The Distronic system is the best adaptive cruise control on the market. It works very well and yes you will get an a88hole every now and then to pull in front of you in rush hour traffic as the system will try to always keep you within a safety buffer zone of 3 seconds or so to avoid tailgating crashes. But I just chop them off. One of the best and simple improvements to HP numbers is a RennTech module. It will boost HP and Torque. To get more than that, you would have to go all out and get a full RennTech system or Brabus.
The following users liked this post:
Lincoln (02-17-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 11:43 AM

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 E63S Wagon 2019 S63 AMG Coupé 2015 S Coupé Edition 1 1970 Chevelle LS5
I’d have to say the Tesla S has the best autonomous driving, including stop-and-go self driving features.