MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W222) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222-178/)
-   -   Likes & Dislikes: New 2018 S560 Sedan (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w222/700008-likes-dislikes-new-2018-s560-sedan.html)

Streamliner 02-27-2018 10:25 PM

Likes & Dislikes: New 2018 S560 Sedan

I’m going to try something different here. I’m going to post my initial likes and dislikes on my new, 2018 S560 Sedan. Every time I add to the list, I will post a new, complete list. When I say “better than,” I am referring to my 2015 S550 Sedan.

My 2018 is equipped identically to my 2015, without the AMG Line/Sports Pkg, but with Exclusive Nappa Leather, Warmth & Comfort Pkg., Premium Pkg., 18” wheels, Magic Body Control, Driver’s Assistance Pkg.

My car currently has approx. 60 miles on it, as of 2/27/2018.

1. I like the new front end design better.
2. The new 9-speed transmission is great.
3. The car seems to be reasonably more quiet, with less engine noise.
4. The ECO stop/start feature is TREMENDOUSLY better.
5. The ride, even with the factory supplied run flat tires seems to be better.
6. I like the new, flat buttons for the garage door opener.
7. I like the design of the 18” wheels better.
8. MBRACE is included for 3 years at no charge.
9. Even though I have the driver’s seat as low as it can go and the suspension set to normal, I feel like I am riding higher.

DISLIKES:
1. The reduced trunk space borders on being idiotic. No, check that: It IS idiotic for a car of this size and caliber.
2. I miss the CD player/changer.
3. No USB cables included.

THE JURY IS STILL OUT ON:
1. The new Nav & Audio controls.
2. The new Distronic controls & features.
3. The new autonomous driving features.

BenzV12 02-28-2018 08:05 AM

Thanks for your thoughts , I just don't like name badge for it , I would prefer 550 , I don't like 560 .To cheer you up , my car also has some borders reduced the trunk space ,it's 530 liters it sounds big but in practicality wise I can't say it's the best sized trunk ever .

Streamliner 02-28-2018 04:10 PM

I’m going to try something different here. I’m going to post my initial likes and dislikes on my new, 2018 S560 Sedan. Every time I add to the list, I will post a new, complete list. When I say “better than,” I am referring to my 2015 S550 Sedan.

My 2018 is equipped identically to my 2015, without the AMG Line/Sports Pkg, but with Exclusive Nappa Leather, Warmth & Comfort Pkg., Premium Pkg., 18” wheels, Magic Body Control, Driver’s Assistance Pkg.

My car currently has approx. 75 miles on it, as of 2/28/2018. I have not yet had my instruction course on this car. That will be scheduled soon.

3. The car is definitely more quiet, with less engine noise.
4. The ECO stop/start feature is TREMENDOUSLY better, as the restart is not nearly as intrusive.
5. The ride, even with the factory supplied run flat tires seems to be a lot better. Smoother, more buttoned down.
9. Even though I have the driver’s seat as low as it can go and the suspension set to normal, I feel like I am riding higher.
10. The Magic Body Control DEFINITELY works better.
11. The "curve" feature in the MBC system is nothing short of phenomenal!
12. The automatic parking brake release works WAY better. On the 2015, I always released it manually, as it did not release smoothly on its own.

DISLIKES:
1. The reduced trunk space borders on being idiotic. No, check that: It IS idiotic for a car of this size and caliber.

1. The new Nav, Command & Audio controls.
4. The wireless phone charging.

Wolfman 02-28-2018 05:35 PM

Great List! Although I hope that you don't post an update every 15 miles :)

While we have a different model now, the Distronic feature are the same. Stop/Go in a traffic jam is much better because the car can stand for a while (I believe 2min.) without disabling itself. It used to be something ridiculous like 15sec.
Lane holding is much improved. With Distronic the speed will adjust if the cameras detect different speed limits. Lane changes/passing also works great using the turn signals.

The CD Changer is gone but can be added afterwards. Dealer install, so likely be overpriced.

quantira2 02-28-2018 09:52 PM

:rolf:

Originally Posted by Wolfman (Post 7393233)

stever500 03-01-2018 11:31 PM

Wait a minute... I just bought a 2018 too and wait a minute... I can't play my freakin' CD's in my car? ARE YOU KIDDING? I opened up some places in the car where my 2012 CD player was and there was nothing there at all. WHAT?!?!? What has this world come to. I just bought CD"s and the only place I'd listen to them would have been in my car. SO SAD. Are you sure there's no CD player in these cars? Tragic. First I can't play my 1200 Grateful Dead tapes anymore (as of 15 years ago in my cars) and now... my CD's? WTH!

Wolfman 03-02-2018 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by stever500 (Post 7394316)
Wait a minute... I just bought a 2018 too and wait a minute... I can't play my freakin' CD's in my car? ARE YOU KIDDING? I opened up some places in the car where my 2012 CD player was and there was nothing there at all. WHAT?!?!? What has this world come to. I just bought CD"s and the only place I'd listen to them would have been in my car. SO SAD. Are you sure there's no CD player in these cars? Tragic. First I can't play my 1200 Grateful Dead tapes anymore (as of 15 years ago in my cars) and now... my CD's? WTH!

You just bought CD’s? :eek:

Nice Ride 03-02-2018 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfman (Post 7393233)

While we have a different model now, the Distronic feature are the same. Stop/Go in a traffic jam is much better because the car can stand for a while (I believe 2min.) without disabling itself. It used to be something ridiculous like 15sec.
Lane holding is much improved. With Distronic the speed will adjust if the cameras detect different speed limits. Lane changes/passing also works great using the turn signals.

The CD Changer is gone but can be added afterwards. Dealer install, so likely be overpriced.

In Stop and Go traffic, once the car comes to a complete stop, DIstronic will abort and you will have to pull back on the stalk or press the gas to re-engage it. I think you meant that the cars ability to steer (minimally at best) has a 15 second timeout on the older model.

Wolfman 03-02-2018 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Nice Ride (Post 7394575)
In Stop and Go traffic, once the car comes to a complete stop, DIstronic will abort and you will have to pull back on the stalk or press the gas to re-engage it. I think you meant that the cars ability to steer (minimally at best) has a 15 second timeout on the older model.

That is what I meant. Distronic doesn't abort anymore when you stop via stop and go. No need to re-engage when standing behind a car for up two minutes. It also never did disengage immediately but the stop time was extremely short before. My memory was 15 seconds but I will check...

hyperion667 03-02-2018 02:53 PM

I'd buy a CD too......in fact I need to go buy some

Jason B 03-02-2018 03:31 PM

Stream, I have a good idea to keep this thread smaller and easier to read for others. You could just keep editing you FIRST initial post, when you find more things you like and dislike. Maybe when you add a new like or dislike, just put next to it (added) or the date, etc. It would be easier to see it all in one post with not much scrolling needed. :)

HSCLA 03-03-2018 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by stever500 (Post 7394316)

MB dealer will install a CD player in your glove compartment (there goes that storage space too...) About $300 or so. OR,
if you have the rear entertainment package, maybe there's a way to pop in a music CD in the rear slot and listen to it...I haven't tried that yet...need a computer scientist to sit beside me and page thru all the sub-menus while i focus on driving. He'll need a long neck, this guy (or gal), since i believe the sub menus for the rear entertainment selections (and rear seat massage and everything else) are only displayed on the rear screens.

And while I'm complaining about this, is there some reason why the rear screens can't do a welcome display on start up and offer a few
frequently used options, like seat massage, navi display, "play a DVD" , etc. Touch screens are very inexpensive now...probably less that the remote controls that are supplied...

i expect more from MB.

Streamliner 03-04-2018 07:10 PM

Streamliner
MBWorld Fanatic!

https://mbworld.org/forums/customava...ar168751_5.gif

2018 S560 Sedan Iridium/Black, 2016 E350 Sedan Iridium/Gray, 2013 SL550 Mars Red/Beige

My car currently has approx. 225 miles on it, as of 3/4/2018. I have not yet had my instruction course on this car. That will be scheduled for tomorrow.

3. The car is definitely more quiet, with less engine noise.
4. The ECO stop/start feature is TREMENDOUSLY better, as the restart is not nearly as intrusive.
5. The ride, even with the factory supplied run flat tires seems to be a lot better. Smoother, more buttoned down.
10. The Magic Body Control DEFINITELY works better.
11. The "curve" feature in the MBC system is nothing short of phenomenal! I am in LOVE with this feature!
12. The automatic parking brake release works WAY better. On the 2015, I always released it manually, as it did not release smoothly on its own.
13. The fan speed control, on the driver’s side, when held down, SHUTS OFF the entire HVAC system. When the one on the passenger side is held down, it turns off just the system on their side. A much needed improvement!

DISLIKES:
4. The gloss black plastic buttons and surround around the Command knob. They show every bit of dust and leave finger smudges every time you touch them. These should have been brushed metal like all the others. A really stupid and irritating change.
5. One must set the suspension back to “Curve” after each start up. Yet another button to push after start up. Why you can’t just set it and forget it, I just cannot imagine.

1. The new Nav, Command & Audio controls.
4. The wireless phone charging.

Carfan500 03-04-2018 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 7396294)
5. One must set the suspension back to “Curve” after each start up. Yet another button to push after start up. Why you can’t just set it and forget it, I just cannot imagine.

Sounds like you should buy this:

Originally Posted by Carfan500 (Post 7395724)

Video in Motion . I dont care about anything in this package (yet) except turning of the ECO button. It drives me crazy in my loaner, E220d Allroad, a lovely car.

Dynamic Select memory . Also drives me crazy.

But i agree with you, why do we have to do all this, first eco button, then Dynamic mode? Its not luxury, its just more tasks to do. I have enough of those.

supra55vp 04-24-2018 09:10 PM

Just rip the CDs to MP3 and copy to USB flash drives or SDHC module. Works great and you can get way more music on a flash drive than one CD holds.

Kvn22 04-25-2018 10:03 AM

2018 and we are talking about CD's............WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

salamigs 04-30-2018 04:47 PM

I believe MBRACE Connect is included for 5 years at no charge, instead of 3.

salamigs 04-30-2018 04:52 PM

To my surprise, when I took delivery 10 days ago, I saw two USB cables were added to my glove box. I asked whether it was comp'ed by the dealership, and they said no, it comes with the car. You may want to ask.

4. The gloss black plastic buttons and surround around the Command knob. They show every bit of dust and leave finger smudges every time you touch them. These should have been brushed metal like all the others. A really stupid and irritating change.
Totally agree. What is the plan on keeping them smudge free?