S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Anyone selling these wheels? 20" AMG forged twin 5-spoke w/black accents from S63?

Old 03-15-2018, 10:54 AM

Received 170 Likes on 108 Posts
18 MB S63, 2022 911 Turbo S, 23 BMW M5C
Anyone selling these wheels? 20" AMG forged twin 5-spoke w/black accents from S63?

I thought the 20" AMG forged twin 5-spoke w/black accents ($1700) look much better on my grey car than the 20-inch AMG forged 10-spoke, black $2,200 wheels that came with the car I just got. Below is a picture of a BLACK CAR with the wheels I got. I did it on the MB site but they don't have a Designo Grey to "build" since they don't even make this color so I can't be 100% what it would look like on my car.

The wheels my car came with look much better on a black car, I think. Any suggestions on how to do a swap/trade/sell or something, some way to get these cheaper but maybe more appropriate colored wheels?

The dealer said I was stuck with them so I'm on my own with them. 1/2 my friends said they like the black, stealthy wheels but I feel they get lost in that grey color too much and simply look dirty all the time, though I clean the car every other day, since... I can. I'm having my SUNTEK guy come over today to do the front end, mirrors, fenders, etc. I'll ask him as well but ... what would you do if you were me to swap out these wheels with another owner?

Just put a "for swap" notice on this board somewhere or sell them on EBAY? I wouldn't want to do it with anyone out of town but only with someone locally, if possible, so the wheels could be swapped in person at my dealer, in a perfect world. I realize the chances of any or all of this happening are pretty slim but hey, I can always hold out hope. I may end up having to get the wheels new from the dealer but they will be SO expensive. Anyone want to swap? And would the tires I have be the right size for these different wheels? I called 2 dealers and neither has gotten back to me yet and that was yesterday. They're researching it. Below is the wheel I'd want:

This is what I have now, not the right color wheels for this car I think. They'd go perfectly on a black car, white or silver.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:45 AM

I just talked to my SUNTEK installer guy and he said it would be much less expensive to do a powdercoat of the 4 wheels for $150 each than buy new ones and try to sell mine. I got a price of $1245 per wheel for the 5 spoke ones I wanted but here is kind of what the wheels would look like in the powdercoated silver color instead.

vs. what I have now:

Old 03-15-2018, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
chk ebay until someone like you has them for sale. O rwait to swap w someone. I like the split 5's myself.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by 1bad540
chk ebay until someone like you has them for sale. O rwait to swap w someone. I like the split 5's myself.
Thanks... this is more what it would look like wth the 5's. Someone from the forum has actually replied already so I'm checking that option out now.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 372 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
I would powdercoat them the color of your car. Silver is going to be too many different colors going on.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:22 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2018 S63 Sedan, 2018 GLS 63

Those rims are great. I have them on my s63. I would keep checking th eBay
The following users liked this post:
Carfan500 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 09:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 s560 4matic
Just adding my opinion that I'd try and find the 5s. I think they look great on this car. I was able to find a set from a forum member about year ago and had them put on mine:

Old 03-16-2018, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

rosey pretty sure thats a different wheel, think it came on the w221.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 s560 4matic
Originally Posted by 1bad540
rosey pretty sure thats a different wheel, think it came on the w221.
Oh totally. My wheels aren't black on the inside. They're very similar though. I was just pointing out that I think the split 5 spokes look great on this car IMHO. My wheels are actually off a CL65.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:12 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by stever500
I just talked to my SUNTEK installer guy and he said it would be much less expensive to do a powdercoat of the 4 wheels for $150 each than buy new ones and try to sell mine. I got a price of $1245 per wheel for the 5 spoke ones I wanted but here is kind of what the wheels would look like in the powdercoated silver color instead.

vs. what I have now:

1245 per is almost HRE money....why not try them and get the style you like and a nice offset too? Yum , I see a Porsche
Old 03-17-2018, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
HRE make great wheels and are a step up from AMG's. Keep in mind that you have the most expensive AMG forged wheels on your car that you can sell on Ebay for a good amount. Wheels are $10k from the dealer
Old 03-17-2018, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
HRE make great wheels and are a step up from AMG's. Keep in mind that you have the most expensive AMG forged wheels on your car that you can sell on Ebay for a good amount. Wheels are $10k from the dealer
Wow, HRE's are a step up over MB OEM AMG wheels? I did not know that. Hardly anyone does this, you rarely see aftermarket wheels on these 2018 cars... pretty much never. I hadn't even considered other brand wheels. Yes, I just called MB today and they said my wheels sell for $2800 each, not the $2200 each when you build the car, but $600 more per wheel. Eeegads. I'm not really going to drive the car until I figure out what direction to go here. They have 500 miles on them right now and are perfect and just detailed. I have another car that I can drive that is a fun car as well till I sort this out. The less miles on them the better - for me and the next owner if I decide to change them out. Which HRE wheel looks best in your opinion? I can't imagine not going with OEM AMG wheels I guess I'd be curious to see what's out there. I got the CLEAR BRA completed a few days ago with the ceramic coat too - $2200. Looks awesome. So the look I was going for is below, but no one is selling them but the dealer. There's literally not one ad for these new black center wheels anywhere for sale, just the older wheel with the silver colored center.

The car getting the CLEAR BRA and ceramic coating. Took them a whole day to do all this. He couldn't get the side badges off without removing the paint underneath it so he suggested he clearbra around it so I went that way.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, HRE's are a step up over MB OEM AMG wheels? I did not know that. Hardly anyone does this, you rarely see aftermarket wheels on these 2018 cars... pretty much never. I hadn't even considered other brand wheels. Yes, I just called MB today and they said my wheels sell for $2800 each, not the $2200 each when you build the car, but $600 more per wheel. Eeegads. I'm not really going to drive the car until I figure out what direction to go here. They have 500 miles on them right now and are perfect and just detailed. I have another car that I can drive that is a fun car as well till I sort this out. The less miles on them the better - for me and the next owner if I decide to change them out. Which HRE wheel looks best in your opinion? I can't imagine not going with OEM AMG wheels I guess I'd be curious to see what's out there. I got the CLEAR BRA completed a few days ago with the ceramic coat too - $2200. Looks awesome. So the look I was going for is below, but no one is selling them but the dealer. There's literally not one ad for these new black center wheels anywhere for sale, just the older wheel with the silver colored center.

The car getting the CLEAR BRA and ceramic coating. Took them a whole day to do all this. He couldn't get the side badges off without removing the paint underneath it so he suggested he clearbra around it so I went that way.

Your car has a blacked-out look and that is how is was configured. Some people love it, some not but black wheels are popular and typically higher-priced than silver wheels. Our car is a bit more extreme as the car has the matte night black paint which actually some small dark blue chips in it.
Taste varies but I love the look of the multi-spoke forged AMG wheels. I have same wheel on our SL in silver/titanium and the black twin spoke wheel on the AMG. Personally I like the AMG five spoke wheel you are looking for but it's not my favorite. They are very easy to clean though!

Keep in mind that AMG wheel prices are not market place prices. They wouldn't be able to sell the wheels anywhere at dealer prices but will if wheels are damage/accident type replacements. All cast AMG wheels are outsourced and typically manufactured in Belgium/Italy etc.

There are other quality brands besides HRE; all will have the ability to customize the wheel to your liking (offsets, color and finish options, single or multi-piece wheels). I think a P107 would look good.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 372 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
Also keep in mind that the pool of buyers looking to spend more than a few grand on used wheels and tires is pretty small. While the wheels you have on do look a tad boy racer, they are what the car was configured with. They tie nicely to the other black accents and are considered a big premium. May want to consider powder coating before you replace with aftermarket wheels.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by superpop
Also keep in mind that the pool of buyers looking to spend more than a few grand on used wheels and tires is pretty small. While the wheels you have on do look a tad boy racer, they are what the car was configured with. They tie nicely to the other black accents and are considered a big premium. May want to consider powder coating before you replace with aftermarket wheels.
Small pool of customers yes but not a very difficult sell on Ebay for $5k. Powder coating on the other hand will destroy the value of the wheels.
Since the OP likes the other wheel design better, changing the color may not suffice...
Old 03-17-2018, 08:20 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Don't get me wrong, I love HRE but you need to know how HRE is made - it is machined/cut out of a single forged billet. This is not a bad thing except when you're comparing a HRE forged wheel to say a wheel that's been "truly forged" all the way to the spokes, center cap, etc (some BBS, Rays).

Start around the 35s mark here

I haven't gotten firm confirmation from MB (yet), but I've been told MB forged wheels are "truly forged" and not cut out of a forged billet so for me, I'm staying with OEM forged wheels.

But, HRE P101, P204 and P207 are all great looking for the S.

Last edited by jenz; 03-17-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:23 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
The car getting the CLEAR BRA and ceramic coating. Took them a whole day to do all this. He couldn't get the side badges off without removing the paint underneath it so he suggested he clearbra around it so I went that way
Don't shoot the messenger, but if you're installer isn't doing a 1 or 2 step paint correction before the wrap, that's a no-no plus (pardon the judgment), I think he's inexperienced or lazy or scared.

Both my Xpel installers have always removed all badges/letters and re-applied them back on top of the wrap. Badges are very easy to remove especially on a brand new car where the adhesive hasn't set yet.
The following users liked this post:
Nice Ride (03-11-2019)
Old 03-18-2018, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by jenz
Don't shoot the messenger, but if you're installer isn't doing a 1 or 2 step paint correction before the wrap, that's a no-no plus (pardon the judgment), I think he's inexperienced or lazy or scared.

Both my Xpel installers have always removed all badges/letters and re-applied them back on top of the wrap. Badges are very easy to remove especially on a brand new car where the adhesive hasn't set yet.
Thanks... I really no idea about this but he's the best guy in our area, that's all I know. I'll be dead in 50 years or less so none of this will really matter in the end (coming faster than we think). He did do a paint correct but which stage of which I have no idea and it's done now so that's that. He did try to get the badges off and always does but he said on my car it was pulling the paint up when he tried so he suggested going around them.

In any case, it's done. And, I called the dealer and they first quoted me IN WRITING by email that the 20" AMG forged twin 5-spoke w/black accents would be $1245 each. That sounded like a pretty good price since they're $1700 each when you order the car. 2 days later when I asked my actual salesperson if he could connect me with a parts manager that did wholesale and hopefully get a better price, he called me 2 hours later and said the best price he could get on these wheels was $2300 each. What? I told him that I have in writing from his parts guy that they're $1245 and an hour later he called me back with "I'm really sorry, they quoted you for the wrong wheels". I told him I have the email trail and all the pics are on the email and the exact name of the wheel. He said it was a mistake and he's sorry. Damn...

I of course can't/don't want to spend... $10k just for wheels! OMG. For that kind of money I'll just keep my black wheels and rock it "urban style- immature bad boy racer style". I don't love the wheels, but I'm sure as heck not interested in spending $10k for freakin' wheels. Even if I did, and I could sell mine for $5k or close to it, it may take A LOT of work to do so.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks... I really no idea about this but he's the best guy in our area, that's all I know. I'll be dead in 50 years or less so none of this will really matter in the end (coming faster than we think). He did do a paint correct but which stage of which I have no idea and it's done now so that's that. He did try to get the badges off and always does but he said on my car it was pulling the paint up when he tried so he suggested going around them.

In any case, it's done. And, I called the dealer and they first quoted me IN WRITING by email that the 20" AMG forged twin 5-spoke w/black accents would be $1245 each. That sounded like a pretty good price since they're $1700 each when you order the car. 2 days later when I asked my actual salesperson if he could connect me with a parts manager that did wholesale and hopefully get a better price, he called me 2 hours later and said the best price he could get on these wheels was $2300 each. What? I told him that I have in writing from his parts guy that they're $1245 and an hour later he called me back with "I'm really sorry, they quoted you for the wrong wheels". I told him I have the email trail and all the pics are on the email and the exact name of the wheel. He said it was a mistake and he's sorry. Damn...

I of course can't/don't want to spend... $10k just for wheels! OMG. For that kind of money I'll just keep my black wheels and rock it "urban style- immature bad boy racer style". I don't love the wheels, but I'm sure as heck not interested in spending $10k for freakin' wheels. Even if I did, and I could sell mine for $5k or close to it, it may take A LOT of work to do so.
Just a quick correction. When configuring the car, the five spoke forged wheels cost a $1700 total, not per wheel. That is the upcharge over the standard 20" cast five spoke wheels that normally come with the S63. Your wheels were a $2200 upcharge. Pricing during a build can't really be compared when buying the wheels separately.

Either way, I assume you got a great deal on the car; the "immature boy racer look" is neither bad though but it's not just the black wheels. After all you also have the exterior night package which blacks out other metal/chrome accents. That said, I think your car looks great and there is nothing wrong with a little change No need to be too conservative.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:11 PM

Wolfman... wow, I didn't realize that. I thought the "$2200" price was PER WHEEL when you order a car. So it's simply a 1 time upgrade charge over the regular wheels for all the 4 wheels? That's really interesting and a lot less expensive an upgrade at that, when new. Thanks for this info. I learn something here everyday. Can you imagine how the ownership experience would be different if we didn't have this board? I'm very grateful for this board! I can't talk MB car talk with my friends that much so it's cool to have "MB car heads" to rap with on this board. I'd feel a lot more alone in my MB experience and nowhere near as knowledgeable without this board. I was a BMW car head for so many years, owned 8 cars ...before the last 3 S63's I bought (2008, 2012, 2018). I actually just joined the MB Car Club 2 days ago so when I need parts or accessories or service, I can legitimately give my them my car club # for the small discount. I'm guessing MB don't have a great magazine they send out like ROUNDEL (BMW Car Club) or Panorama (Porsche Car Club)?

I'll think long and hard about just keeping my wheels now. It would certainly be the least stressful thing at this point.

Last edited by stever500; 03-18-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:08 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Well, HRE isn't for everyone, but they make excellent wheels and I have enjoyed every set I have purchased
Old 03-19-2018, 10:40 AM
SPONSOR

Received 241 Likes on 188 Posts
www.wheelsboutique.com
The reason you don't see many aftermarket wheels on '18 cars is because HRE for example builds their wheels from scratch to the specifications and options needed/wanted by the customer. This process takes 4-10 weeks depending on the model chosen.

Purchasing HRE wheels not only allows you to put your personal touch on the car with over 100 wheels model and over 100 wheel finishes but it also aids your car's performance by reducing wheel weight over the AMG forged wheels and widening your track with a wider wheel & tire combo improving handling. Going aftermarket really allows you to set your car apart from one that everyone can see through the window while driving passed the dealer.

Here's our S-Class gallery, lots of cars in there that can inspire you - http://wheelsboutique.com/gallery/me...cedes-s-class/
Old 03-19-2018, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by thewb
The reason you don't see many aftermarket wheels on '18 cars is because HRE for example builds their wheels from scratch to the specifications and options needed/wanted by the customer. This process takes 4-10 weeks depending on the model chosen.

Purchasing HRE wheels not only allows you to put your personal touch on the car with over 100 wheels model and over 100 wheel finishes but it also aids your car's performance by reducing wheel weight over the AMG forged wheels and widening your track with a wider wheel & tire combo improving handling. Going aftermarket really allows you to set your car apart from one that everyone can see through the window while driving passed the dealer.

Here's our S-Class gallery, lots of cars in there that can inspire you - http://wheelsboutique.com/gallery/me...cedes-s-class/
Wow, thanks for sending that link. Really interesting pics and ideas as to options for wheels for sure. I looked at each picture you posted and for some S63 owners this would be a great solution. For me, I'm really conservative in my wheel look, so I'm most drawn to the simple twin 5 spoke AMG wheels. I like the stealth, simplicity, easy to clean aspect and look of these wheels the best. I guess I'll just hold out till someone on the board is selling theirs or just keep what I have and rock them forever in "sinister mode".
Old 03-19-2018, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

keep looking, wheels always pop up.. Almost bought the sharper 5 spoke 20" off am s63 local to me a few weeks ago, guy wanted 900 bux...I never went to see them bc 2 had light curbing.. but for the $ cant beat it. They had stampings so i didnt blv them to be reps.

There was another set of takeoffs on Cl in Nj asking 4k w tires sensors and all, looked like new and claimed like 200 miles on them.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In fact here u go.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/w...534783244.html

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone selling these wheels? 20" AMG forged twin 5-spoke w/black accents from S63?